The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #26
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - 5x08 - "The Last Day" - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet-witch View Post
Because this show has to hammer in that Daisy is the most perfect and powerful person on the planet and they can't have anyone mentioning the Avengers because some of them are technically more powerful than her?
If any TV show mentions The Avengers it is this one. They went all the way to sacrificing the Bus and then calling in The Avengers to get Loki's staff as SHEILD had used its assets. That Daisy was the first of the free born Inhumans and SHEILD's big stick is the story that they are telling.

SPO2 Dalisay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #27
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

This episode made me tear up a bit...

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!

WAKANDA FOREVAAA!!!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Quote:
Because this show has to hammer in that Daisy is the most perfect and powerful person on the planet and they can't have anyone mentioning the Avengers because some of them are technically more powerful than her?
We watch two different shows apparently.
And you know they do not mention any Avenger not by choice but by corporate mandate.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

WAKANDA FOREVAAA!!!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #29
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
When Has it done that? They've been perfectly consistent showing what she is and isn't capable of. This whole "Destroyer of worlds" thing is a recent idea one that is continually shot down by Quake herself. I'd also would bet money that she's responsible but isn't the cause. It's all gonna be a misdirect and they won't want us to know until the last moment. Just like the cross necklace in season 3, that necklace changed so many hands to keep people from guessing.

She's not portrayed as the main character of the MCU, but the main character(along with Colson) of this show. So yeah the show focuses a lot on her because it's not called "The Avengers" it's called "Agents of SHIELD" and it's about (shockingly) the agents of SHIELD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Yeah, I don't see an opportunity to call the Avengers. Certainly, there's no way to call them in the future. In the present, there doesn't seem to be a singular entity to fight. The only thing they seem to know is Daisy did it, but we don't know why or how. Do we call the Avengers to stop her from destroying the world? What if it wasn't her or if her fighting the Avengers causes the whole thing?
Exactly, hell the majority of the series is them tackling stuff that other people don't believe. How often are they trying to explain a threat to an outsider only to be met with rolling eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovica View Post
We watch two different shows apparently.
And you know they do not mention any Avenger not by choice but by corporate mandate.
Where have you heard that, I never heard that being the case? I always thought it was standard show building. In order for any of these shows to be successful is that they have to rely on their own characters because that's the heart of the series. If that doesn't than the show doesn't work. From day one they've said they didn't want to turn the show into a series of easter eggs and the show's usually strongest when it isn't.

Besides there are tons of in universe reasons the Avengers aren't involved, just because they don't waste screen time explaining it to the audience doesn't mean they don't or can't exist.

Though I will admit there are times when they could do a much better job integrating the show in the universe. There are a handful of times when I thought "Okay now they really need to call the Avengers" and the biggest moment of that was the season 3 finale. But this season it's more than reasonable, they're in the future and when they get back to the present they'll be fugitives who would be spouting crazy stories about the end of the world and blue aliens.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #30
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

Of course given the earth of the MCU aliens or Inhumans should be a go to and often used explanation of the weird. After all humanity has fought off an alien invasion and created government agencies to deal with Inhuman threats

Old 01-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
So my predictions after watching this episode:
  • Everything that is happening has already happened. It's essentially a time loop, one that will somehow be broken at the end of the season
  • They'll return to the present around the mid season and the season finale will focus on the incident that cause Earth's destruction, Likely Graviton with Daisy believing she's the only one who can stop it.
  • Flint will use his powers to collect the other fragments of the monolith so that they can get back to the present
  • Before they go back they'll kill Kasius and free the light house
Quote:
I'm over all this "Daisy is powerful enough to destroy the world!" Nonesense.

Deke has to be FitzSimmons' grandkid or something, right?
What a joke. No wonder why this show is kept from the films. In the ACTUAL MCU we have Thanos wanting to control earth and be THE super power of the galaxy, and god of the universe. But also we have an incident where the all powerful Daisy accidentally destroys the entire planet? What?

So let me get this strait. if Daisy and company don't resolve the issue, there is no Thanos story, there is no Infinity War on Earth? Daisy, more powerful than Thanos, and any non-infinity stone wielding character?

No disrespect to those who watch this show still, but what a joke this show has become. Forget Black Bolt, who's voice can destroy a planet, forget Thor's Godly power who can operate on that level. Forget the War for the universe that is going to happen on Earth, none of that matters because a character who is no relevance to the overall climax of the almost destroyed the Earth.

What a joke. There's got to be significance context. This show should not have plots on this scale when IW is about to happen. Thank god its hardly canon

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #32
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I will say, this episode might have been a good opportunity to namedrop the Avengers. When they talked about reaching out to the Kree for help, they could have said something like "the Avengers are all dead."

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #33
fire117
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovica View Post
This episode made me tear up a bit...
Agreed. Such a good episode. Without a doubt, one of the best of season 5 so far.

fire117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #34
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

Quote:
I will say, this episode might have been a good opportunity to namedrop the Avengers. When they talked about reaching out to the Kree for help, they could have said something like "the Avengers are all dead."
I didn't get anything from the alternative history that made me think that they had gotten over the Daisy LMD assassination attempt. I think they are as cut off as when Hydra first emerged

Old 01-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #35
karmajack
Side-Kick

Robin knew the Agents, that's why they're involved. Had Robin known any of the Avengers, perhaps they'd be dealing with the situation. She was confident the Agents would solve the issue...and they likely will.

While the events we see on AoS are happening, who's to say the Avengers aren't individually rescuing people from buildings crumbling as the Earth is falling apart for reasons unknown to them...Off camera. You just have to assume they're doing something and this show is focusing on what the Agent's are doing about it.

This season is really just bringing up more questions and less answers so far. We can't jump to specific conclusions until specific answers are made clear. When the arc ends. After that, we can pass judgement on the writing if things are tied up in a neat bow.

We still have no proof Daisy did (or is powerful enough to) destroy the world. All we have is footage of her having a tantrum and walking away never to be seen again, then the world crumbles. Assumptions and speculations in history began from that. That and since they don't have any other valid theories available to them.
I'm sure we'll come to find out otherwise.

This season both frustrates me and intrigues me at the same time. Episode to episode. Yet I walk away entertained each week, and look forward to more.

karmajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #36
just one thing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
What a joke. No wonder why this show is kept from the films. In the ACTUAL MCU we have Thanos wanting to control earth and be THE super power of the galaxy, and god of the universe. But also we have an incident where the all powerful Daisy accidentally destroys the entire planet? What?
thats like saying north korea can't blow up the world because china or the usa want to take it over.
Quote:
So let me get this strait. if Daisy and company don't resolve the issue, there is no Thanos story, there is no Infinity War on Earth? Daisy, more powerful than Thanos, and any non-infinity stone wielding character?
yes/maybe. not enough information yet.
Quote:
No disrespect to those who watch this show still, but what a joke this show has become. Forget Black Bolt, who's voice can destroy a planet, forget Thor's Godly power who can operate on that level. Forget the War for the universe that is going to happen on Earth, none of that matters because a character who is no relevance to the overall climax of the almost destroyed the Earth.
bit much to expect no story telling because infinity war is on the way.

Quote:
What a joke. There's got to be significance context. This show should not have plots on this scale when IW is about to happen. Thank god its hardly canon
if its all connected then it is reasonable to assume they will save the world by the end of the season but there is story telling in how they get to that point. This show is good at story telling or not, judge what they do.

just one thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #37
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmajack View Post

This season is really just bringing up more questions and less answers so far. We can't jump to specific conclusions until specific answers are made clear. When the arc ends. After that, we can pass judgement on the writing if things are tied up in a neat bow.

We still have no proof Daisy did (or is powerful enough to) destroy the world. All we have is footage of her having a tantrum and walking away never to be seen again, then the world crumbles. Assumptions and speculations in history began from that. That and since they don't have any other valid theories available to them.
I'm sure we'll come to find out otherwise.

This season both frustrates me and intrigues me at the same time. Episode to episode. Yet I walk away entertained each week, and look forward to more.

I agree, in story she is the first and most famous Inhuman due to her terrorist days and Director Mace. That her known power set along with footage of her near the area seems to offer an explanation of what happened when the general public does not know about Black Bolt, Graviton or others with a power set to explain the unexplained. It means that the conspiracy theory folks would immediately seize onto Quake as the destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
While the events we see on AoS are happening, who's to say the Avengers aren't individually rescuing people from buildings crumbling as the Earth is falling apart for reasons unknown to them...Off camera. You just have to assume they're doing something and this show is focusing on what the Agent's are doing about it.

Perhaps a video of an Avenger flying an apartment building towards the Lighthouse

Last edited by SPO2 Dalisay; 01-20-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #38
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

What's all this stuff in 2018 and 2022. When did that happen? Haven't the agents been time lost all these years?

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #39
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What's all this stuff in 2018 and 2022. When did that happen? Haven't the agents been time lost all these years?
While Fitz is sticking with you can't change history it seems that Robin's Inhuman power is to see the alternate timelines and if she could have gotten enough people to believe in her soon enough that they in fact can go back into time and change history

Old 01-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #40
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the idea is that they are sent forward in time...go back in time after experiencing all of this stuff with the Kree...then end up unable to stop the world from being destroyed anyway...then get killed at some point after the world is blown apart...but people know that they will reappear later (and younger) to deal with the Kree.

The issue is how do they break this story...like Fitz said...it's like a loop they can't stop. The issue at some later point (I suppose around that "last time they saw Daisy") the team will have to break that cycle and prevent the world from being destroyed.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #41
Spider-Fan83
with great power...

^ya, it's basically an Edge of Tomorrow type of thing going on...

or what was that movie Amy Adams was in? Arrival? ever see that...

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:33 AM   #42
raz1337
Newbie First Class

I'm just trying to understand the story from a scientific point of view. Is it even physically possible for human life to survive on a fraction of a planet that had just been cracked into pieces?

Enoch obviously knows the cause of the destruction but won't tell us.

Enoch says that Fitz isn't part of the prophecy, but in the present time, the "prophecy" seems more like directions than a glimpse into the future. Are Robin's visions more of visions of what might happen if she instructs someone to enact that future?

Going by the years in the flashbacks, we are left with 2018 and 2022. We hear someone on the Zephyr in 2018 say "3 more cities just went dark" and they are 200 miles from the lighthouse when they crash. I'm not sure if I missed something about how bad the situation is in 2018, but if that's the year Infinity War takes place, then yeah, I want answers, also.

Kasius had too much faith in the roaches anyway. How did the Kree not know about the refuge?

Daisy's neck thing is just a really convenient way to depower her for a ton of episodes because she would've ended a lot of problems easily and they needed the story to keep going for that long.

raz1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #43
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

These gravity storms tell me that there's something artificial holding the shard of Earth together and possibly the atmosphere on top of it. If the atmosphere stays, it should be survivable. It's just, generally speaking, there wouldn't be enough there.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #44
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

Quote:
These gravity storms tell me that there's something artificial holding the shard of Earth together and possibly the atmosphere on top of it. If the atmosphere stays, it should be survivable. It's just, generally speaking, there wouldn't be enough there.
And like most media monsters how do the roaches survive and grow so large with a limited supply of humans to suck the juicy innards out of.

I suppose those on the surface depended upon a true believer like Virgil to supplement what they have be able to grow. And from Enoch's comment somebody there had to be a master roach killer. Seeing as nobody showed a power with the assassination of Quake attempt my guess is that Sinara is playing both sides, especially if her weapon is an "Inkree" enhancement and not a technology based like Yondu had with his dart.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #45
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

ATTENTION

This is a site for discussing movies and TV shows. Part of discussing things is hearing OPINIONS you don't agree with. If someone states an OPINION you do not agree with....you can ignore it or discuss it civilly. You DO NOT report people because they have an OPINION about a TV show or TV character that you do not agree with.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #46
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I'm pretty sure that the idea is that they are sent forward in time...go back in time after experiencing all of this stuff with the Kree...then end up unable to stop the world from being destroyed anyway...then get killed at some point after the world is blown apart...but people know that they will reappear later (and younger) to deal with the Kree.

The issue is how do they break this story...like Fitz said...it's like a loop they can't stop. The issue at some later point (I suppose around that "last time they saw Daisy") the team will have to break that cycle and prevent the world from being destroyed.
So the rest of this season is still going to be stuck on this storyline with a younger Robin in 2018 and 2022?

Does that also mean something happens to Mack? Yoyo seemed to be bitter about not having him anymore.

I was hoping we'd be done with this plot soon and that we'd return to earth for stories unconnected with all of this.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #47
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post

Exactly, it's a whole predestination thing and they're leading us to believe the past cannot be changed, that Old Robin saying so is her lying on behalf of future May who still believes it's possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPO2 Dalisay View Post
While Fitz is sticking with you can't change history it seems that Robin's Inhuman power is to see the alternate timelines and if she could have gotten enough people to believe in her soon enough that they in fact can go back into time and change history
Well it's generally thought that changing the past is impossible and as we saw with the episode featuring Robin's father it's an idea that Fitz holds firm to. I don't think Robin sees alternative timelines, she only sees her timeline. Think more Doctor Manhattan, the past, present, and future being all the same for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
I'm just trying to understand the story from a scientific point of view. Is it even physically possible for human life to survive on a fraction of a planet that had just been cracked into pieces?

Enoch obviously knows the cause of the destruction but won't tell us.

Enoch says that Fitz isn't part of the prophecy, but in the present time, the "prophecy" seems more like directions than a glimpse into the future. Are Robin's visions more of visions of what might happen if she instructs someone to enact that future?

Going by the years in the flashbacks, we are left with 2018 and 2022. We hear someone on the Zephyr in 2018 say "3 more cities just went dark" and they are 200 miles from the lighthouse when they crash. I'm not sure if I missed something about how bad the situation is in 2018, but if that's the year Infinity War takes place, then yeah, I want answers, also.

Kasius had too much faith in the roaches anyway. How did the Kree not know about the refuge?

Daisy's neck thing is just a really convenient way to depower her for a ton of episodes because she would've ended a lot of problems easily and they needed the story to keep going for that long.
-It's possible, if the piece of the planet has enough mass then it would have enough gravity to sustain an atmosphere. No idea if the chunk shown in the show is enough. Would be an interesting Film Theory to see. The term gravity storm and graviton making an appearance makes it seem like that wouldn't be a problem.

-Enoch may not know the exact cause, nothing indicates that he does.

-The prophecy is kind of a chicken and egg, the characters believe that means it can be change because Robin is telling May's lie.

-I'm sure the kree has had expeditions to the surface that led them to believe it's uninhabitable. After decades it just becomes common knowledge so no need to check.

-That's television

Quote:
So the rest of this season is still going to be stuck on this storyline with a younger Robin in 2018 and 2022?

Does that also mean something happens to Mack? Yoyo seemed to be bitter about not having him anymore.

I was hoping we'd be done with this plot soon and that we'd return to earth for stories unconnected with all of this.
Well it seems that the cause of Earth's destruction is in 2018 but the destruction wasn't instant but happened over a few years. I feel in the next 2-3 episodes they will go back to the present and the season finale will deal with the moment. And if there is a next season there will be a new plot.

I think they were implying that at some point after the kree took over the lighthouse Mack dies, his death probably caused by the Kree.

They will probably continue the story line to the finale but I wouldn't be surprised if the LMD guy shows up.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #48
EarthShaker
Side-Kick

Quake, Daisy Johnson is a powerful inhuman. She floored magneto and and wolverine.. and she is capable of destroying the earth. if she can target the earth's core. and vibrate the hell out of it. physics will take care of the rest.

remember the episode where she cleared acres and acres of forest by just sticking her hand out. she did that without knowing to master her abilities. now that she is more aware. she is capable. and because of the nature of her attacks. she can take on several enemies. even an army wont stand a chance

Last edited by EarthShaker; 01-21-2018 at 07:37 PM.
EarthShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #49
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthShaker View Post
Quake, Daisy Johnson is a powerful inhuman. She floored magneto and and wolverine.. and she is capable of destroying the earth. if she can target the earth's core. and vibrate the hell out of it. physics will take care of the rest.

remember the episode where she cleared acres and acres of forest by just sticking her hand out. she did that without knowing to master her abilities. now that she is more aware. she is capable. and because of the nature of her attacks. she can take on several enemies. even an army wont stand a chance
Blowing down the visible tree line in a forest is one thing. Gorgon did the same trick in the Inhumans miniseries. Even though the way her mother Jaiying explained her power left you to think MCU Daisy Johnson was without limits merely keeping open a monolith by vibrating at the proper frequency was enough to kill her if she kept up her quaking.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #50
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
Where have you heard that, I never heard that being the case?
Just an educated guess, seeing how the explicit mentions disappeared after a while.
I agree it's for the best though.

Quote:
We still don't know if that's how it went in the future timeline, probably not, by the way. Do you watch the show? It's explicity played as unconfirmed.

My guess is Graviton was really responsible and everything will be averted before even happening: the comics are full of extinction level disasters averted by time travel by B and C list characters without the wider heroes community ever knowing.
I'm more than fine with it if that will be the case.

WAKANDA FOREVAAA!!!