The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old Today, 12:22 AM   #626
markjoedelonge
Bat of Gotham

Default Re: Stephen King's "IT" remake has found a writer - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlAMONDZ View Post
This could've been so much better with someone like Wan directing. This really wasn't all that scary tbh
Yeah it wasn't scary, but I don't think that's a bad thing. However, there were a few parts where the director makes some choices that undercuts the potential effectiveness of the scares.

Like that scene
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
in the sewers when Patrick is using the flames to find his way around. Before he lights the flames, we can already see the silhouettes and hear the voices of the dead children. When the flame comes on, there's this musical cue as if to suggest it's a jump scare when we already know what's in the dark.

DCEU ratings: MOS (8/10) | BvS (9/10) | SS (5/10) | WW (9.5/10)
markjoedelonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:01 AM   #627
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I never read the book and frankly... Never thought much of the TV mini. So correct me if I am wrong but doesn't one of the male kid characters when they are grown come out as gay? Am I wrong?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/TBC New Episode: A Short Tribute To Superherohype's Own Vartha, In The News and Defenders Spoiler Review.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:05 AM   #628
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

In the miniseries they had it that Eddie was a virgin into his 40s, that might be what you mean. In the book he was heterosexual, but in a relationship with a woman who basically just the same as his mother in both appearance and demeanour.

Rest in Peace, Reek. Of all the souls I have encountered...yours was the most....human.
Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:09 AM   #629
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
In the miniseries they had it that Eddie was a virgin into his 40s, that might be what you mean. In the book he was heterosexual, but in a relationship with a woman who basically just the same as his mother in both appearance and demeanour.
Ah. Why am I thinking about one of them coming out as gay? Did the director say something about that? I only bring it up because some of the debate going on is about how the film makers couldn't imagine one of the kids being non-hetero and yet I could swear they will have one be gay in the second part. Any of that ring a bell?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/TBC New Episode: A Short Tribute To Superherohype's Own Vartha, In The News and Defenders Spoiler Review.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #630
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Ah. Why am I thinking about one of them coming out as gay? Did the director say something about that? I only bring it up because some of the debate going on is about how the film makers couldn't imagine one of the kids being non-hetero and yet I could swear they will have one be gay in the second part. Any of that ring a bell?
Well I think on version of Cary Fukunaga's script originally had hints that Richie was gay or bi.

In the miniseries Eddie kind of admits that he's a virgin at 40 because he only wanted to sleep with someone he loved, and then kind of said something along the lines that the only people he's ever loved were his friends, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Rest in Peace, Reek. Of all the souls I have encountered...yours was the most....human.
Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:06 AM   #631
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe you got the vibe that one of them could be gay.
I know I did.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:13 AM   #632
Kane52630
City Surf User

Old Today, 05:49 AM   #633
Blitzkrieg
Big A$$ Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=it.htm

IT has made $404,306,627 at the box office worldwide!!!!

That's awesome. 'IT' will pass 'The Exorcist' on Thursday to become the highest grossing R rated horror movie in the history of BO.

If 'IT' is at 171.1 million OS on Wednesday Sept. 20, that means the past 3 weekdays yielded 18.4 million. Nao the first 3 weekdays are usually about 80% of the total weekday figure for the week during this season. So that takes the 4 weekday OS total to 23 million at the end of the 2nd week.

'IT's figures from the 10 new foreign markets in it's sophomore weekend was 18.7 million. Giving a similar 40% drop from the weekend number (26.1 million in the 46 OS territories is 39.4% of the 66.3 million OS OW) gives us 7.5 million. So subtracting the potential 7.5 million 'IT' stands to collect in the last 4 weekdays (Day 11-14), we get [23-7.5]=15.5 million from the 46 holdover markets from OW. That 15.5 million will be 59.4% of it's previous 4 weekday total. That's an extremely impressive 40% drop.

Plus 'IT' only dropped 36% in the existing markets in it's 2nd weekend while the other R rated worldwide phenomenon 'Deadpool' dropped 48.5% in similar fashion. 'Deadpool' also dropped 54.2% in the 2nd set of weekdays (Day 11-14) in the existing markets, while 'IT'll drop much closer to 40% as per my extrapolation in paragraph 2. Pennywise is comprehensively beating Deadpool on so many fronts. What an epic and legendary BO run.

Old Today, 06:50 AM   #634
JohnnyGobbs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
In the miniseries Eddie kind of admits that he's a virgin at 40 because he only wanted to sleep with someone he loved, and then kind of said something along the lines that the only people he's ever loved were his friends, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?
I know it's from the miniseries rather than the book, but I think they should keep that detail. It's both rather sweet and sad
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
particularly in view of what happens to Eddie.

JohnnyGobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #635
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

In the book there is a gay man in the second part who gets thrown off a bridge by homophobes and is then eaten by Pennywise, but there’s no one gay in the main group.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #636
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
I never read the book and frankly... Never thought much of the TV mini. So correct me if I am wrong but doesn't one of the male kid characters when they are grown come out as gay? Am I wrong?
No, none of them are gay in the book at least. Although they did change in the miniseries Eddie's depressing future to an even more depressing one where he is a 40-year-old virgin (not in the book, doubt it will be in the 2019 movie, so not a spoiler). I wouldn't be surprised if the sequel went a different tact and changed that up again to something more inclusive. But I doubt they will.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:01 AM   #637
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
In the book there is a gay man in the second part who gets thrown off a bridge by homophobes and is then eaten by Pennywise, but there’s no one gay in the main group.
That is correct, I forgot about that. It is actually a very depressing and heartbreaking scene. Yes that happens and could end up in the movie since it is one of the most horrifying sequences in the book, albeit they cut what happened to Patrick in the book which is the most grisly murder for sure. Still that scene could be a harrowing beginning, much like Georgie was in this movie.

--John Adams
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #638
JohnnyGobbs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
No, none of them are gay in the book at least. Although they did change in the miniseries Eddie's depressing future to an even more depressing one where he is a 40-year-old virgin (not in the book, doubt it will be in the 2019 movie, so not a spoiler). I wouldn't be surprised if the sequel went a different tact and changed that up again to something more inclusive. But I doubt they will.
I'm not sure being single/a virgin is necessarily any worse than ending up with someone you can't stand for the rest of your life.

JohnnyGobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #639
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGobbs View Post
I'm not sure being single/a virgin is necessarily any worse than ending up with someone you can't stand for the rest of your life.
Good point. But let's just say neither background for Eddie is something many readers would wish for.

--John Adams
Old Today, 10:10 AM   #640
Blitzkrieg
Big A$$ Dragon

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/911229354343989250

Quote:
BoxOfficeReport.com
@BORReport

IT grossed an estimated $3.94M on Thursday. 14-Day total stands at $236.34M.
If the estimates hold and there's no reason to think it won't, that'll be a 1.5% drop from Wednesday. It's a great hold. There's a solid chance that 'IT'll have sub-50% drop this weekend.

'IT' also officially passed 'The Exorcist' to become the biggest R rated Horror movie in the history of BO.

Old Today, 11:13 AM   #641
Art Vandelay
Side-Kick

The idea of Eddie being gay is something I've noticed being brought up on a lot of websites. The weird thing is, it's said as if it's a matter of fact. I noticed one person complaining that the movie removed the gay subtext, and I keep thinking what gay subtext? Eddie isn't gay. I think people are looking at his hero worship of Bill in the book as him being gay, ignoring the fact Eddie was also shown to have a bit of a crush on Beverly.

I'd rather Eddie not turn out to be gay because as an adult, he ends up marrying a version of his mother, just like Beverly ends up marrying a version of her father. Even though these characters have their personal victories as kids, their experiences as children helped shape who they become as adults, for better or worse.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:12 PM   #642
:eek:
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/911229354343989250

If the estimates hold and there's no reason to think it won't, that'll be a 1.5% drop from Wednesday. It's a great hold. There's a solid chance that 'IT'll have sub-50% drop this weekend.

'IT' also officially passed 'The Exorcist' to become the biggest R rated Horror movie in the history of BO.
As always it's completely pointless comparing the money movies released several years apart makes. It's nice to see a successful King-adaptation but It will never be the phenomenon The Exorcist was in the 70's. The money that movie made back then is far more impressive.

:eek: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #643
Blitzkrieg
Big A$$ Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by :eek: View Post
As always it's completely pointless comparing the money movies released several years apart makes. It's nice to see a successful King-adaptation but It will never be the phenomenon The Exorcist was in the 70's. The money that movie made back then is far more impressive.
Nah, not pointless at all. Refer back to this post I made a week ago

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...=#post35705201

Quote:
Adjusting for inflation is never a good way to look at the BO earnings of a movie at present. A lot has changed in terms of the movie going landscape. The no. of admissions are declining at a rapid rate. The no of theaters has stagnated in the domestic markets for quite some time. There is little room for growth for the BO industry. Plus who's to say that the big movies in the past will actually collect the adjusted for inflation amount if they were to be released today. Will 'Gone with the Wind' or 'The Sound of Music' sell as many tickets as they did back during their original run in today's market?? Can we guarantee that 'The Exorcist' will sell as many tickets as it did in 1973 in today's BO climate?? All these things may very well happen but there's simply no way to confirm this.

I'm not trying to knock on 'The Exorcist' by any means because it happens to be the biggest R rated horror movie ever and it was, still is and will remain a huge phenomenon. There is no way to downplay it's gigantic achievements.
Also where did I talk about 'IT' becoming a bigger phenomenon than The Exorcist. 'IT' is the highest grossing R rated Horror movie ever and by default it becomes the biggest R rated Horror movie ever in the BO. That's what I was getting at.

Old Today, 12:38 PM   #644
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The idea of Eddie being gay is something I've noticed being brought up on a lot of websites. The weird thing is, it's said as if it's a matter of fact. I noticed one person complaining that the movie removed the gay subtext, and I keep thinking what gay subtext? Eddie isn't gay. I think people are looking at his hero worship of Bill in the book as him being gay, ignoring the fact Eddie was also shown to have a bit of a crush on Beverly.

I'd rather Eddie not turn out to be gay because as an adult, he ends up marrying a version of his mother, just like Beverly ends up marrying a version of her father. Even though these characters have their personal victories as kids, their experiences as children helped shape who they become as adults, for better or worse.
lol, there’s not any gay subtext. The only gay characters in the book are two minor characters, one of whom is a victim of Pennywise.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #645
Wildcard
Cataclysmic Titan

I'm late in making a post here but wow! There's no denying that this is one of the best remakes that have ever come through the pipeline. From the kids to Bill as Pennywise and everything in-between, I loved this movie. For me, it was everything I always wanted the miniseries to be.

I'm not going to try to **** on the miniseries or anything because it's obviously very relevant but I just felt like this was a much more competent execution of the story. I didn't expect it to but Bill's version of Pennywise, for me, was better than Tim Curry's in every way imaginable.

Already overly anxious to see what comes in the next installment because this ended up being even more enjoyable than I initially anticipated. Definitely one of my top favorites of the year.

Wildcard is online now   Reply With Quote