Unforgettable... unfortunately 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #126
emarasmoak
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Flash Season 3 episode 17 "Duet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I thought the music was fine, by and large.

What wasn't fine was that the plot can be boiled down to "Wandering god insists the heroes get back together with their love interests, because luv."

Or to be more precise, "Kara, you should totally forgive Mon-El for lying to you about being a slave-owning prince of a slave-owning society."
I also despise the kind of person that Mon-El was in Daxam. But I couldn't say that if I had been raised as a the crown prince in a society with slavery, arranged marriages, meaningless sex and a medieval monarchy, I would have noticed on my own that it was a cruel, selfish, shallow and hedonist way of living and would try to change things and be a better human being (I don't think that Oliver Queen was very different before the island -his family didn't own slaves, but wasn't bothered about ruining the lives of their workers- and he even became a remorseless killer after that). Mon-El is truly ashamed now of what he was (he said that it makes him physically ill) and has said that he wants to be a better person, even if he is not with Kara. He has definitely said no to going back to his life of privilege and has chosen his life as a bartender and DEO agent. He has started this path inspired by Kara, but I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing (many people in the Flarrowverse started their path to heroism inspired by others).

The name of the game here is character development. TPTB have said that they wanted him to start from the complete opposite point of being a hero so the evolution would be more interesting to watch. We have already watched a hero who is wonderful from the start with Kara and most characters in Season 1.

I really believe that people can change and atone for their previous life choices and I love watching hero redemption arcs. As long as Mon-El keeps evolving to a better selfless person, risking his life to fight for other people, and being a better partner to Kara, I will be there rooting for his/ their success. I find him highly relatable.

Regarding his big lie, this is the Flarrowverse. Everyone lies to their family and friends and loved ones and they are later forgiven. Only in Supergirl we have got big lies from Kara (her identity - Cat / Lena still don't know), Alex (double life as DEO agent and Astra's killing), Jonn (his identity), M'Gann (her identity and past crimes), James (double life as Guardian), Winn (double life as Guardian's sidekick), Lyra (double life as a criminal and also setting up her boyfriend). Mon-El lied about being the Prince of a world that he thought he was the last survivor (if everyone had really been dead then this lie should have no impact in their current lives - most of the other lies mentioned here did have an impact). Basically everyone has lied and has been forgiven. But yes, I agree that he should have come clean at least since the moment when they started dating and that he deserved to be dumped and that Kara has a right to be shocked about him being the Prince from a despicable society.

I actually wanted the break up to be longer (a few episodes) so he could grow up on his own (yes, I agree that he doesn't deserve Kara yet and he is not a real hero yet), but I am not complaining about what I'm getting. There is too much chemistry between them and Chris makes Mon-El to be very charming and has an incredible comedic timing.

Last edited by emarasmoak; 03-24-2017 at 07:44 AM.
emarasmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #127
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
It was wittier/funnier for one, but more importantly, had bigger storytelling ambitions than "let's get the couples back together!" (when it was clear that the only reason the couples were apart in the first place was so that this episode could put them back together, making the whole enterprise feel extra-contrived). By contrast, Buffy's musical featured major character revelations (thanks to the musical device of the episode "forcing" the characters to sing their inner-most feelings) that would have serious repercussions for all involved. Despite the hilarity and fun, that episode turned out to be kind of devastating and essential. This one was fun - I enjoyed it, and I'm glad they did it - but it was hardly essential.
See, I feel that when both Barry and Kara were telling Malcolm and Joe and Stein to let their children see each other, that whole section could've been told in song. They shouldn't have waited until only those other three leads began to sing in response. When Kara was saying that there was probably a reason why Mon-El lied, and came to the realisation that he might've had a reason for lying to her himself, she should've realised this while singing about it. That was a lot of time wasted with unnecessary dialogue that should've been a song.

When they were trying to find Mon-El and Iris, and when they found the two of them kissing, that too should've been a song.

And when Mon-El and Iris tried to revive Kara and Barry in the fantasy, they could've been singing to save them too.

Even if this episode weren't entirely essential, they could've done a lot more with it. Too many missed opportunities.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #128
jer_33

If there was any greater tragedy then this episode, it was that they had to hammer a wedge between Barry/Iris at the end of the previous episode in order to justify it.

Both felt very forced.

jer_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:25 AM   #129
signalman
Side-Kick

Well Done by all involved. The most FUN episode of the season.

Melissa/Kara did a nice cover of MOON RIVER. Andy Williams, Henry Mancini, and Johnny Mercer would be PROUD of her.

Rousing sang and dance number at the night club.

Having Barry sing to Iris his proposal was enlightening.

Neat little team up with Kid Flash, Vibe, and Martian Manhunter.

Everyone take a bow.

Only disappointment was the Music Meister himself. Actor was rather lacking in the part.

signalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #130
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I'm catching up now to see the episode. It was fine. I felt it needed one more fun upbeat song. BTW, did Grant Gustin's last song seem dubbed in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
Really liking this so far. Benoist has a beautiful singing voice and I can't wait to hear them duet. The first number was pretty good. And now at the commercial break we see one of the reasons why Meister put them under.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
though I have to wonder, if he already has super speed and the ability to mesmerize people, and other powers as well, why would he need to steel their powers?
I think his original super speed came from stealing Kara's speed, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post
Lol, what would have happened if Barry and Kara didn't have soulmates? Would they be stuck there forever?
Then I doubt he would have sent them there since it was to teach that lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
So this episode is an outlet for Barry and Kara to solve their relationship issues.

Kind of makes it easy.
Are you new to the CW?
That being said, I wonder how Supergirl fans feel about their relationship drama being solved in a different show.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #131
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I'm catching up now to see the episode. It was fine. I felt it needed one more fun upbeat song. BTW, did Grant Gustin's last song seem dubbed in?

I think his original super speed came from stealing Kara's speed, but I could be wrong.

Then I doubt he would have sent them there since it was to teach that lesson.

Are you new to the CW?
That being said, I wonder how Supergirl fans feel about their relationship drama being solved in a different show.
Some of "I'm your superfriend" also seemed dubbed in for Grant's voice. He didn't even appear to be moving his lips at certain times.

I think I would've even preferred more raw footage of them singing even if it sounded slightly rougher, than the slightly dubbed, studio feel. They sound more impressive when you see raw footage of them doing a mic session somewhere. Or Glee seems to also do it better.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #132
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Some of "I'm your superfriend" also seemed dubbed in for Grant's voice. He didn't even appear to be moving his lips at certain times.

I think I would've even preferred more raw footage of them singing even if it sounded slightly rougher, than the slightly dubbed, studio feel. They sound more impressive when you see raw footage of them doing a mic session somewhere. Or Glee seems to also do it better.
All the songs were most likely dubbed. It's very rare that you use audio of the actors singing on set for a musical, hence why Les Mis got such big buzz for doing so.

It was definitely grant singing though.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:
http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #133
geetard
Rebirth

That trio from Barrowman/Martin/Garber... My goodness.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #134
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
All the songs were most likely dubbed. It's very rare that you use audio of the actors singing on set for a musical, hence why Les Mis got such big buzz for doing so.

It was definitely grant singing though.
I know it was Grant. He did sound the most dubbed out of all of them though, as if the sound wasn't coming out of his mouth but out of somewhere generally overhead or elsewhere.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #135
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
It was wittier/funnier for one, but more importantly, had bigger storytelling ambitions than "let's get the couples back together!" (when it was clear that the only reason the couples were apart in the first place was so that this episode could put them back together, making the whole enterprise feel extra-contrived). By contrast, Buffy's musical featured major character revelations (thanks to the musical device of the episode "forcing" the characters to sing their inner-most feelings) that would have serious repercussions for all involved. Despite the hilarity and fun, that episode turned out to be kind of devastating and essential. This one was fun - I enjoyed it, and I'm glad they did it - but it was hardly essential.
That is always something I like to point out to my brother during our yearly rewatch, where he can't help but tell me Spike can't sing very well.

"Once More with Feeling" is one of the most important episodes in the entire series.

The Flash episode actually feels like the episode Xander thought he was going to get with his stupidity.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #136
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
That is always something I like to point out to my brother during our yearly rewatch, where he can't help but tell me Spike can't sing very well.

"Once More with Feeling" is one of the most important episodes in the entire series.

The Flash episode actually feels like the episode Xander thought he was going to get with his stupidity.
What do you mean the episode Xander thought he'd get? What are you referring to?

Old 03-26-2017, 12:34 AM   #137
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

I re-watched the Grodd 2-parter from this season. Those were the most fun, innovative episodes of the season. Duet was a long tumble down a cliff from those.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:28 AM   #138
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What do you mean the episode Xander thought he'd get? What are you referring to?
Near the end of the episode Xander mentions the reason why he summoned the demon was because he thought it would be all fun, with the singing and the dancing. Instead people started dying, Buffy revealed their resurrection of her was not for the best and everyone basically ended up miserable and it changed the direction of every single character going forward. From Anya to Giles.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 03-26-2017 at 03:40 AM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #139
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Near the end of the episode Xander mentions the reason why he summoned the demon was because he thought it would be all fun, with the singing and the dancing. Instead people started dying, Buffy revealed their resurrection of her was not for the best and everyone basically ended up miserable and it changed the direction of every single character going forward. From Anya to Giles.
Thanks, I forgot how much of a downer that was...

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #140
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
Thanks, I forgot how much of a downer that was...
As a Spuffy fan, I found the ending quite uplifting.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 AM   #141
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

I gave up on Flash, but I ended up watching this episode.

Supergirl this entire episode

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Ivan Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 AM   #142
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #143
DarthSkywalker

Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #144
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
since I watch both shows, I didn't mind at all!

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 AM   #145
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Ok I'm shocked because I loved that. I'm normally not a fan of musicals but it was just so much fun. I loved all the songs, which again surprised me.

8/10

Oh and Barry's Superman impression

Last edited by BH/HHH; 03-31-2017 at 04:35 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote