The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #651
Spider-Fan83
with great power...

Default Re: The Big Bad Star Lord Thread

I really don't get this guys thing about gaining and losing weight, he's obviously capable of getting in shape, so why wouldn't you want to be shape all the time, why would you want to throw all that hard work out the window

I hope he actually keeps the weight off this time, especally if you planing on making a franchises out of this, or crossing over with the rest of the marvelverse (he's not always going to have time to get back into shape in between movies, or if they call him in for re shoots, or to do a cameo,...)

Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #652
VulcanVader
Side-Kick

He looks awesome.... Pratt can be a really good Starlord.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #653
terry78
Will you shut up?!

The character of Andy is a much more dumpy, goofball guy and he doesn't take care of himself physically so he has to gain to maintain the part.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #654
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
I really don't get this guys thing about gaining and losing weight, he's obviously capable of getting in shape, so why wouldn't you want to be shape all the time, why would you want to throw all that hard work out the window
After ZDT he got fat for that Vince Vaughn comedy he's in

Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #655
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

I actually find it really impressive how he's constantly able to just whip into really amazing shape whenever a role calls for it, then go back to being dumpy ol' Andy.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #656
slumcat
Banned User

He's one of those lucky guys who can whip into shape really quickly. And he's naturally big. So he just needs to tighten things up a bit and he's shirtless ready.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #657
eddy
Make Mine Marvel

Who wants to lay bets now that they do like they did with theThor/Capt America trailers where they put a scene of this guy shirtless in the trailers?

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #658
slumcat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Who wants to lay bets now that they do like they did with theThor/Capt America trailers where they put a scene of this guy shirtless in the trailers?
And Man Of Steel too (two of them).

Its one of the standard marketing ploys to show off the actor's physique in the trailer itself. I guess they think it lends more credibility to the actor's badassery.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #659
corby
?

And it sure doesn't hurt when it comes to drawing in the guy-loving audience.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #660
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:

I hope he actually keeps the weight off this time, especally if you planing on making a franchises out of this, or crossing over with the rest of the marvelverse (he's not always going to have time to get back into shape in between movies, or if they call him in for re shoots, or to do a cameo,...)
The bit in bold may give you the answer; perhaps there are people who dont want to go through that all the time and do it only when necessary. Dont get me wrong, I get what you're saying but my view is that he has the right to choose how he wants to live his life between filming, and I dont think we can think ill of him if he elects to relax a bit when he's not required to work out.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #661
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Looky Looky

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #662
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I actually find it really impressive how he's constantly able to just whip into really amazing shape whenever a role calls for it, then go back to being dumpy ol' Andy.
Agree. Chris Pratt has way more dedication to his career than I ever gave him credit for.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #663
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Shirtless scenes appear in trailers because they're one of the few shots that don't really require special effects to be ready that early in the marketing. The show off factor is there as well, but I suspect simple logistics plays the bigger role. We didn't start getting Henry's shirtless shots in the trailers until enough effects had been completed on the oil rescue sequence.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #664
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

In all honesty, if it is your WORK to get in shape and look a certain way, it can honestly be easy. You are provided with personal trainers and guys that watch what you eat for you.

Unlike us regular Joe's who have to work a day job and then still worry about our workout and diet.

Having said that, Pratt looks great.

To the DCEU

"In time you will know what it's like to Lose.

To feel so desperately that you're right, yet fail all the same"
Old 07-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #665
slumcat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
Shirtless scenes appear in trailers because they're one of the few shots that don't really require special effects to be ready that early in the marketing. The show off factor is there as well, but I suspect simple logistics plays the bigger role. We didn't start getting Henry's shirtless shots in the trailers until enough effects had been completed on the oil rescue sequence.
Actually, Cavill's shirtless shots were around since 20 months before the film released. The first set of shirtless shots for the scene where he is stealing the clothes, were released in October 2011. They were pics taken by the studio itself and then leaked as supposed paparazzi shots.

And after that the oil rig sequence was shot in public in October 2011 with thousands of reporters so there were innumerable photos. So they didn't have to show off Cavill's physique in the trailers, it was already splashed across the media even before the film's shoot was complete.

I guess we are seeing something similar with Pratt, though Cavill was not as blatant as simply taking a pic and putting online and saying, "See mother****ers, I look like a god."

Last edited by slumcat; 07-09-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #666
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Actually, Cavill's shirtless shots were around since 20 months before the film released. The first set of shirtless shots for the scene where he is stealing the clothes, were released in October 2011. They were pics taken by the studio itself and then leaked as supposed paparazzi shots.

And after that the oil rig sequence was shot in public in October 2011 with thousands of reporters so there were innumerable photos. So they didn't have to show off Cavill's physique in the trailers, it was already splashed across the media even before the film's shoot was complete.

I guess we are seeing something similar with Pratt, though Cavill was not as blatant as simply taking a pic and putting online and saying, "See mother****ers, I look like a god."
I thought about the set pics, but chose not to mention them as they're not being tacked onto other features like a trailer for distribution to casual moviegoers. I suspect partly why Pratt does the selfie is because he's usually the shape of a plush pillow. I'm on my way down from 200 lbs and 25% body fat right now, with my lean mass climbing. If I hit my goal of down to 170, then back up to about 178 at 9-10% BF by Christmas, I'll probably never put a shirt on again.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #667
slumcat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
I thought about the set pics, but chose not to mention them as they're not being tacked onto other features like a trailer for distribution to casual moviegoers. I suspect partly why Pratt does the selfie is because he's usually the shape of a plush pillow. I'm on my way down from 200 lbs and 25% body fat right now, with my lean mass climbing. If I hit my goal of down to 170, then back up to about 178 at 9-10% BF by Christmas, I'll probably never put a shirt on again.
Cavill's shirtless pics received enormous media saturation and distribution and the studio almost ensured it was so. For almost a year there was just a single promo image released, so almost any article online or in print about MOS tacked on Cavill's shirtless pics. There were also many articles just devoted to them. I daresay the movie going audience who even slightly reads entertainment news must have seen them multiple times. It was undoubtedly a major promotion hook for the marketing.

Pratt's selfie is alright, he's a good lad. Even his physique shot from Zero Dark Thirty (which was an even better physique) was a selfie. But good luck for your transformation! Hope you achieve the results you want.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #668
Spider-Fan83
with great power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
The bit in bold may give you the answer; perhaps there are people who dont want to go through that all the time and do it only when necessary. Dont get me wrong, I get what you're saying but my view is that he has the right to choose how he wants to live his life between filming, and I dont think we can think ill of him if he elects to relax a bit when he's not required to work out.
just saying it wouldn't be so much hard work to get back into shape every time, if he just kept the weight off... I am not saying he should be working out 24/7 and has to be totally ripped in between movies, but maybe not go out of his way to gain 50+ pounds

once you lose the weight its not that hard to just keep up with a reasonable diet and working out here and there, to keep it off

I get that he gained the weight for a role, but, still

Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #669
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by corby View Post
And it sure doesn't hurt when it comes to drawing in the guy-loving audience.
The shirtless scenes do show off the lead actors' cut bodies, but they're in trailers for the sexiness, too. In Pratt's case, they also need to show the audience that he's not playing that round guy from TV in GOTG.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #670
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

One thing is though, it's like this with all type of training, if it was there once, it's easy to get it back. Rebuilding muscle is a lot easier than building muscle. The first time, it may take a lot of work, but if that muscle goes away, and you sort of settle down for a while, it will be easier to pack on solid muscle again that it was to build it up initially

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=537581
Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #671
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:

cause he plays fat lazy guys sometimes like in parks and recs. and badasses sometimes like in Zero Dark Thirty

he's an actor it's his job

Christian Bale is also known for putting his body through crazy ish for roles

Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #672
Superhero 101
DESI

Wow I just saw this pic of Pratt he looks good I am so used to of him being a little overweight in parks and rec.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #673
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I'm intersted to see how they fit this into the next season of Parks and Rec. I hope they just don't make him put the weight back on. There are so many hilarious directions they could take this in

Old 07-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #674
TheFuture
Rising

Quote:
just saying it wouldn't be so much hard work to get back into shape every time, if he just kept the weight off... I am not saying he should be working out 24/7 and has to be totally ripped in between movies, but maybe not go out of his way to gain 50+ pounds

once you lose the weight its not that hard to just keep up with a reasonable diet and working out here and there, to keep it off

I get that he gained the weight for a role, but, still
Maybe because it's insanely hard work to maintain such a physique?

Not everyone enjoys living in the gym and (what one might feel is) a restrictive diet. I mean for one, Pratt said he gave up alcohol for 6 months.

I go to the gym regularly enough, but I'd go mad if I was going every week and watching what I eat every week. Having a ripped body is not the be all and end all.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #675
slumcat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture View Post
Having a ripped body is not the be all and end all.
True that. These guys are PLAYING superheroes. They are not actually superheroes. They need to do it for the movies and that's enough. Henry Cavill said that he doesn't have the ego where he needs to have a ripped eight pack 24/7 365 days a year to feel good about himself. He gets it when he's shooting a movie and that's good enough.

Closed Thread