Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 10-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #376
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Default Re: Dragonball HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabel View Post
@Scatterax
I agree with your points to an extent. In concept, Radditz seems like a character that should be playing a larger role. At the same time, him being killed of so quick falls in line with Toriyama's writing style. He likes to make up a lot as he goes, and he likes playing with audience expectations.

I'll be honest, I haven't thought that deeply into how to plot the Saiyan saga movie yet. I've been working on my version of the first movie that combines the Pilaf and World Tournament arcs and have made some decent progress so far.

I'm gonna try to get into the DB Xenoverse network test this weekend. If it works out I'll let you all know.

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but did you all know Toriyama revealed 17 and 18's real names?
I think him being killed off works in serial form because he gets his own mini saga within a saga. Also he signals a new era for the story. But in singular form the sayan saga shouldn't feel that episodic. Especially if this is the saga they start with. You don't want the audience to feel like they are "making it up as they go" I want a film that could actually please critics (as much as a disagree with them at times) I wouldn't mind changes and story tweeks that help the story flow better. It doesn't have to be a sin city or watchmen type of adaption, it just can't be anything like evolution.

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
scatterax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #377
SymbioticToxin
Why're ya screamin'?

I still think Dragonbal Z is too much to adapt. Dragonball is a little less, so if you pay attention to what your doing and know how to streamline the arcs, you could make a movie.
And then never ever ever ever think of doing a GT movie. Ever.

SymbioticToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #378
Lord
All Mighty

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are the same story, the manga was never published as two different things, so if you're going to adapt the manga, you need to start at the beginning, just tell the classic story of a boy meeting the world for the first time and going on a quest of finding the Dragon Balls, just like Star Wars did back in the day, DB started by taking a classic story and taking it into an interesting direction through an expansive and interesting world.

Z is fun but it gets quite repetitive, i think Freeza should be looked at as the final goal, if you want to do more after that then you can move on to Androids and Cell, but i advise not to try adapting the second half of the story, while ignoring much of the stuff in the first half.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #379
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabel View Post
Did you watch the extended cut? It's about twenty minutes longer. Has some more gags, some more character bits, some more action. Makes it feel like a more complete film. Even Oolong gets his own stand off of sorts with Beerus.

My understanding is that the continuity according to Toriyama includes:

Dragon Ball/DBZ
Bardock: Father of Goku (not Episode of Bardock, though I could be wrong)
History of Trunks
The 2008 TV Special (so Vegeta's brother is canon)
Battle of Gods
The upcoming 2015 movie
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (his newest manga that takes place in DB world)
DB minus(bonus chapter that was released with Jaco)
Dr. Slump (maybe?)

@Scatterax
I agree with your points to an extent. In concept, Radditz seems like a character that should be playing a larger role. At the same time, him being killed of so quick falls in line with Toriyama's writing style. He likes to make up a lot as he goes, and he likes playing with audience expectations.

I'll be honest, I haven't thought that deeply into how to plot the Saiyan saga movie yet. I've been working on my version of the first movie that combines the Pilaf and World Tournament arcs and have made some decent progress so far.

I'm gonna try to get into the DB Xenoverse network test this weekend. If it works out I'll let you all know.

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but did you all know Toriyama revealed 17 and 18's real names?
Vegetas brother was mentioned in Battle Of The Gods so he is canon

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #380
Blackman
C'mon Son

I also think that DBZ is way too hard to adapt. It'll be very hard to separate all of the stories into (at least) 90 minute movies.

But if they do do it, I think the Tintin style of animation would work well

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #381
cabel
Side-Kick

My overall impression of the Xenoverse network test is pretty positive for an unfinished game. On average I got about 30-60 minutes of gameplay before it would freeze or the server would get shut down for maintanence, but they were fairly quick about fixing the network issues.

My main criticism of the gameplay is that I could've used a tutorial, unless I missed it completely. But once I started figuring out the controls I was fairing a lot better in matches.

I was fun going throught the hub city and seeing the other players as different kinds of namekians and Saiyans. I even did the fusion dance with several people and saw several groups trying to do the Ginyu group pose.

I don't know if I'll buy it first day, but there's potential for this game to be a lot of fun.

cabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #382
Curt424

I know this is random, but this is the only forum I saw here for Dragonball. Anyways, in Dragon Ball GT "A Dangerous Union", a beaten up Trunks passes out onto Pan, and she falls down from it. Yet, in the episode before that, a man as big or bigger than an oozaru stomps on Pan, and she was able to hold his foot from making her go down, and there are other instances like that, like when they get tossed off a cliff, for example, they just fall down, even though they can fly. I just can't remember any other specific ones. Any theories to why that is, other than just an inconsistenty?

Curt424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #383
cabel
Side-Kick

Sometimes it's for comedic effect. Sometimes it's just inconsistent.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #384
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I also think that DBZ is way too hard to adapt. It'll be very hard to separate all of the stories into (at least) 90 minute movies.

But if they do do it, I think the Tintin style of animation would work well
I disagree, for starters, you don't start with DBZ, that's not where the best plot was, only the most epic fights, and you can't exactly make a movie only centered on that. Majin Buu Saga for example was just Toriyama extending his manga due to the popularity and fan demand, his heart wasn't completely into it, and it's shown, with various contradictions and sudden plot twists. If done right, the manga as a whole isn't any more difficult to adapt than most American Comics.

I also disagree about the Tintin style of animation, i think it worked for that type of story, but for DB, live-action has more potencial.

Freeza should be looked as the end game, it's the most personal threat and brings a nice conclusion to the Saiyan storyline. If they had a good idea of how to continue, then adaptations of the Androids and Cell saga could be done once they have a clear idea of what to do, but i wouldn't consider that more deserving to be made in live action than red ribbon or king Picolo, Cell Games for example was more of an excuse to do fights, wouldn't work as well for the end of that saga in live action.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #385
cabel
Side-Kick

If DBZ continues on after the 2015 film, what kind of developments would you all like to see?

I kinda hope they age Marron a little so that she can start joining Trunks and Goten on whatever hijinks they're up too. I can even see young Mai, Shu, and Pilaf joining them as well.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #386
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Gotten and Trunks need to age, since BoG said 5 years passed and they still looked really small.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #387
cabel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
Gotten and Trunks need to age, since BoG said 5 years passed and they still looked really small.
To be fair it did take Gohan a few years, including one in the time chamber, before he started hitting his growth spurts.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #388
Lord
All Mighty

I always liked the idea of the series running through Goku's life, so i would like in the future to see an old aged Goku. I heard Toriyama planned for the next villains to be evil Kamis had he continued the manga.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #389
cabel
Side-Kick

New Light of Hope trailer

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: