8 2 28.57%
9 2 28.57%
10 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Pennywise
Side-Kick

Default Season 1, Episode 8 - "Relevations"

TRAINING DAY - Black Lightning (Cress Williams) works with Anissa (Nafessa Willaims) to help find information to clear Black Lightning's name. Jennifer (China Anne McClain) begins interning for Lynn (Christine Adams). Meanwhile, Gambi (James Remar) finds himself in a precarious situation. Marvin Jones III and Damon Gupton also star. The episode was written by Jan Nash and directed by Tanya Hamilton (#108). Original airdate 3/13/2018.

Read more: Listings - BLACK LIGHTNING on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz58LTaZtvH

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 8 - "Relevations"

At the very least, it's nice that at least Anissa's training isn't limited to at home, but she's got Jefferson with her in the field to teach her how to control her powers. Feels very hands-on that way.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

This thing with Lala and LaWanda is getting weird.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

It was a good episode! Im kind of dissapointed about the meta-human reveal Did they test it all around the world or do meta's just primarily come from this small town? I need a meta-lit world!

The training scene and forest scene with father/daughter was just great and I am so excited that Jennifer is getting her powers!

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #5
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
It was a good episode! Im kind of dissapointed about the meta-human reveal Did they test it all around the world or do meta's just primarily come from this small town? I need a meta-lit world!

The training scene and forest scene with father/daughter was just great and I am so excited that Jennifer is getting her powers!
For now Black Lightning takes place in its own universe so powered people are very isolated in this show.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:57 AM   #6
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Glad to see Jefferson training Anissa to become Thunder. It's best for Black Lightning to stay in its own universe. Same with Supergirl.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
Pennywise
Side-Kick

So many villains coming in and it's only the first season with the return of LaLa, Tobias, and now the ASA!

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Really enjoyed Jefferson going into teacher mode. You can clearly tell he is an actual teacher, unlike other superhero training moments we see.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
Guard82
Side-Kick

All of those scenes with Jefferson and Anissa were fantastic. This episode did a great job with their father-daughter team-up.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

I am kind of impressed that they went full on racist for the reasons of the experiments in Freeland. Should've been expected, but they did not hold back.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #11
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Why are the ASA showing up and how will they be a threat?

What do the Amateur Swimming Association want with Jefferson Pierce and his family? Are they in too deep?

Nice that Jennifer isn't keeping her powers all to herself but is sharing it with Anissa. I'm guessing next episode she'll learn about the rest of the family and they'll know about her?

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:14 AM   #12
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

The Lala and Lawanda stuff just still has me so confused. It’s wild.

It was cool seeing some training and Jefferson’s excitement. Wonder how he’ll react to having two daughters with powers.

Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

It was hard enough training one daughter. Now he's got to train two? His wife should've had powers too. Then they could be No Ordinary Family.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
famicommander
Side-Kick

The mom can't have powers because somebody has to be the wet blanket. The "grounded" member of the family.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #15
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
It was hard enough training one daughter. Now he's got to train two? His wife should've had powers too. Then they could be No Ordinary Family.
... I was actually a fan of that show.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
The mom can't have powers because somebody has to be the wet blanket. The "grounded" member of the family.
In No Ordinary Family, the mom (Julie Benz) had powers and was still the wet blanket. It was only by the very final episode where they all decided to team up and use their powers together. Before that, it was only Ben Grimm who was using his powers mostly.

Not sure if the son did much (he might have), but Danielle Panabaker's sister was pretty much in denial of hers. And Julie Benz was overly cautious. So when they finally teamed up, it was too little too late.

In Black Lightning, they're already working together and the mom is supportive of Anissa getting training and learning how to fight.

The mother here doesn't need really extraordinary super powers. Just something to protect herself. She can mostly be the brains though. Maybe they should give her Gambi's role as the armourer/ equipper. Where she'll get those skills from though is anyone's guess.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #17
LTuser
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
At the very least, it's nice that at least Anissa's training isn't limited to at home, but she's got Jefferson with her in the field to teach her how to control her powers. Feels very hands-on that way.
I liked the training sessions. Even Laughed at the holograms used..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
This thing with Lala and LaWanda is getting weird.
Especially that whole shower scene.. WHY would she in any reason, have a possible romantic interest in someone who killed her??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
AND i wonder, WHY WERE they using this town as the test bed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
I am kind of impressed that they went full on racist for the reasons of the experiments in Freeland. Should've been expected, but they did not hold back.
I am not, it just seems they are really trying to push the 'white man = evil' angle too much. Heck the only 2 white folks we've seen (gabby, and the stoner who worked with Tobias) seem to be bad guys. YES gabby aids BL, but with all the hidden secrets its really making it hard for me to SEE how BL can trust him now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
I agree. I don't think mom needs to get powers..

LTuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #18
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Looks like they are doing a variation of the "Tuskegee Experiment".

I'm very impressed that they've done a good job of staying away from the "Meta of the Week" formula the rest of the Arrowverse follows.

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #19
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

I think LaLa's "Lawanda" might be an entity like Nekron in disguise

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote