8 3 50.00%
9 1 16.67%
10 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Pennywise
Side-Kick

Default Season 1, Episode 9 - "Little Black Lies"

FAMILY ABOVE ALL - In the aftermath of the latest killing, Black Lightning (Cress Williams) works to clear his name while also hunting down the person responsible for his father's death, and anyone else involved. Tensions remain high between Black Lightning and Gambi (James Remar). The episode was written by Keli Goff and directed by Tawnia McKernan (#409). Original airdate 3/20/2018.

Read more: Listings - BLACK LIGHTNING on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz590XEU3KW

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 9 - "Little Black Lies"

They keep dropping these names! Imma need at least one of em to show up time! Now we have Vixen in the mix? Hell yeah bring her on!

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

So a Supergirl name drop previously and now Vixen, too. The fact that these heroes are name dropped makes me feel that this show exists in a world not where these heroes are established in real life, but just in comics, and we've seen characters discuss superheroes in comics previously, too.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

I would hate it if they were comic characters on this Earth. Purely because I'm selfish.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

I really need them to get rid of Anissa having to breathe in every time she uses her powers. I didn't mind it when she was figuring things out but it just sounds ridiculous everytime she does it.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Okay, Anissa's forehead must be bulletproof because she definitely took a shot to the head and kept going like she was Luke Cage.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Are you talking about this scene?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #8
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Anissa finally debuts as Thunder. Her costume looks awesome and she did well on her first true outing.

They namedrop Supergirl and Vixen. Either they're in Earth-38 or they may be foreshadowing a Crisis On Infinite Earths crossover down the line.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

That scene, yes. But apparently someone on Twitter says she can make her skin bulletproof. Well, okay, I guess.

And with the name drop, it could just be another Earth altogether or the characters existing in comics since, again, they've name dropped Supergirl before when talking about The Outsiders comic. That or just a DC nod, like the Batman references in the Arrowverse...prior to the actual name drop of Bruce Wayne, anyway.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Lol yeah she can. She changes her bodies density which is how she becomes so strong.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #11
STINGRAY
Side-Kick

This series continues to impress.
The action/adventure is solid, the conspiracy plot is involving.
Above all; the family interaction is spot-on, and the best--most realistic-- that I have ever seen on a tv series.
The by-play between the sisters is excellent. the exasperation of Jefferson when trying to cope is almost palpable...and his estranged wife; long-suffering woman who only wants a 'normal' relationship & family?...HA !

At first, i disliked Lynn, thinking her too judgemental and rigid in her POV...
Now, i actually feel sorry for this woman,,, First it was her Man who she had to fear for, going out to be a hero...Then her eldest daughter...
Now her youngest daughter has powers....
And all she ever wanted was a nice, quite, normal family life!

My sole serious quibble with this show is that Black Lightning`s outfit needs an 'OFF' switch for sneaking around at night.
That lit-up-lightning bolt chest of his is about as stealthy as a road flare.

STINGRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #12
STINGRAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Okay, Anissa's forehead must be bulletproof because she definitely took a shot to the head and kept going like she was Luke Cage.
--Well, it follows that she would have a certain degree of tensile toughness in her skin to be able to withstand the impacts she sustains when she hits something, so things hitting her would be impacting upon a far more resilient surface than ordinary skin presents.

I don`t get why there was a ricochet spark, tho... Metallic, she ain`t.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Sneaking around at night...see, now I'm reminded of the 'stealth mode' costumes from Young Justice. Sure, aside from just being darker versions of their costumes, there wasn't much of a difference, but they were the go-to outfits for covert missions.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

I think everyone superhero show should introduce stealth mode costumes.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #15
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

A fun episode. Cool to see more info about what went down in the past and what’s happening now with the ASA and other metahumans.

Thunder’s suit looked great. The music went well with her introduction too.

I liked how different Jennifer’s reaction to her powers are from Anissa’s. Matches their established characters very well.

Quote:
So a Supergirl name drop previously and now Vixen, too. The fact that these heroes are name dropped makes me feel that this show exists in a world not where these heroes are established in real life, but just in comics, and we've seen characters discuss superheroes in comics previously, too.
But given Jennifer’s reaction to what Lynn said as a joke, it seems Vixen is a real superhero in this universe.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #16
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
I really need them to get rid of Anissa having to breathe in every time she uses her powers. I didn't mind it when she was figuring things out but it just sounds ridiculous everytime she does it.
Co-signed.

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
STINGRAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I liked how different Jennifer’s reaction to her powers are from Anissa’s. Matches their established characters very well.
--And it was true to classic Teen Girl Angst, where just about anything can be fuel for a budding Young Drama Queen to over-react and sulk over, imagining and dwelling upon every negative aspect possible;
"This is THE END of my life...I`ll NEVER get over this"....etc....

Been there, parented through that. ...

Young People...(sigh
)

Old 03-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
STINGRAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
High probability, it`s become an unconscious mental prop for her, to set herself up for the effort, focusing her concentration. Sure, it`s unnecessary, but psychologically, it`s become a part of the experience for her.

A cool plot point would be for her at some instance, to be GASSED into unconsciousness by some enemy who has noted that sudden intake of breath...and prepped for it.

Gas would after all, be the obvious way to subdue her.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #19
Pennywise
Side-Kick

Awesome episode last night! Seeing Black Lightning and Thunder team up!

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #20
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
--And it was true to classic Teen Girl Angst, where just about anything can be fuel for a budding Young Drama Queen to over-react and sulk over, imagining and dwelling upon every negative aspect possible;
"This is THE END of my life...I`ll NEVER get over this"....etc....

Been there, parented through that. ...

Young People...(sigh
)
I don't see how you could come to that conclusion given what she said.

Her parents are divorced and could've been together if not for Jefferson being Black Lightning, so she surely doesn't want to have that kind of problem in her future; she doesn't even know how her powers could affect her body further, so she doesn't know how it would affect the future she envisioned for herself. She brought up some legit concerns of how this changes her life, not how it ends it.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 03-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #21
eon001
Side-Kick

This show keeps getting better and better. And the Vixen and Supergirl name drop tho.

So this is either Supergirls universe that has a Vixen doppleganger, or it's own Black Lighting universere with Supergirl and Vixen dopplegangers.

Either way I want a cross over ASAP.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
STINGRAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I don't see how you could come to that conclusion given what she said.

Her parents are divorced and could've been together if not for Jefferson being Black Lightning, so she surely doesn't want to have that kind of problem in her future; she doesn't even know how her powers could affect her body further, so she doesn't know how it would affect the future she envisioned for herself. She brought up some legit concerns of how this changes her life, not how it ends it.
You must have missed the heavy-involved, dedicated self-pity sulking, the pouty 'pity-poor, poor me' whining and the absolute refusal to even acknowledge the slightest possibility of any positive side of the situation.

All of that was there on screen.

Frankly, I think Lynn, Jefferson & Anissa were just lucky she did not immediately run off to tweet about it to her friends, or post an update on Facebook...

" Found out my whole family is a bunch of LIARS and FREAKS with super powers and I`ll never, never, ever be able to be happy ! I am totes BUMMED ! "

Old 03-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #23
LTuser
Banned User

Quote:
They keep dropping these names! Imma need at least one of em to show up time! Now we have Vixen in the mix? Hell yeah bring her on!
So Vixen's arrowverse, and supergirl is a different one. MAN now i am really confused.

Quote:
From what i've read online concerning her powers, once she 'breaths in' she becomes bulletproof.. All over..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
Anissa finally debuts as Thunder. Her costume looks awesome and she did well on her first true outing.
And i was even laughing at the whole "Check out this site you are trending more than dad is" stuff..

LTuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #24
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
You must have missed the heavy-involved, dedicated self-pity sulking, the pouty 'pity-poor, poor me' whining and the absolute refusal to even acknowledge the slightest possibility of any positive side of the situation.

All of that was there on screen.

Frankly, I think Lynn, Jefferson & Anissa were just lucky she did not immediately run off to tweet about it to her friends, or post an update on Facebook...

" Found out my whole family is a bunch of LIARS and FREAKS with super powers and I`ll never, never, ever be able to be happy ! I am totes BUMMED ! "
Nah, it's actually wise to question what negatives there are with these powers. She doesn't know how it could affect her health or her future. Her family doesn't know as well. Those are legitimate concerns a person should weigh. It's not that different from her sister trying to figure out what was going on currently when she start manifesting her powers. Jennifer is just looking towards the future. It's good that they didn't go the standard route of someone always being so happy or excited about their powers right away before knowing the whole situation.

If you really think she would ever thought to go off and tell her friends, then you really aren't paying enough attention to her character. She may be young, but she's no an idiot.

"

Last edited by Lencho01; 03-21-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #25
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

I am kind of missing Tobias.

But I am enjoying Jefferson and Anissa teaming up.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote