The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

View Poll Results: Hobbit An Unexpected Journey.
10 16 20.78%
9 22 28.57%
8 15 19.48%
7 7 9.09%
6 13 16.88%
5 3 3.90%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #201
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
And seeing screen tests of Kili and Thorin with longer beards and looking a thousand times better than the final versions made me want to punch something. Hard.
Kili's look was great. He actually looked like a Dwarf, while still keeping his general look. But nope, had to make sure he looked conventionally pretty.

The entire Azog situation was ridiculous.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #202
Boom
I got nothin'

I hate Phillipa Boyens.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #203
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Kili's look was great. He actually looked like a Dwarf, while still keeping his general look. But nope, had to make sure he looked conventionally pretty.

The entire Azog situation was ridiculous.
That entire segment had me scratching my head.

"Azog is the principle villain of this film. But his character is actually dead at this point in the book. So there's that."

That was basically it. No explanation at all as to why they decided to go against canon and resurrect the character, especially in light of the fact that Bolg, Azog's son, is actually alive and well during the time of The Hobbit and could have fulfilled that purpose just as effectively - if not better.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #204
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
I hate Phillipa Boyens.
I watched all 8 hours of the extras last night. I agree with this so much. When she started talking about Azog I actually got angry. He's dead, so we fix that by making him alive... da ****?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #205
Boom
I got nothin'

"Aidan originally auditioned for an elf, but I told Peter he should totes be a dwarf."

And then we ended up with a young conventionally attractive dwarf with stubble.

Gee, I wonder if the two are connected.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #206
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
"Aidan originally auditioned for an elf, but I told Peter he should totes be a dwarf."

And then we ended up with a young conventionally attractive dwarf with stubble.

Gee, I wonder if the two are connected.
The section with del Toro is also heartbreaking. And I totally forgot that Peter was sick at the start of production. Poor guy.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #207
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Quote:
The section with del Toro is also heartbreaking.
What was it? I haven't got a chance to get the Extended Cut. I had no idea he'd be included!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #208
Boom
I got nothin'

I will say that these special features are a lot funnier, and a lot of that has to do with the cast. Freeman and McTavish especially.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #209
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
What was it? I haven't got a chance to get the Extended Cut. I had no idea he'd be included!
They show him and the crew all excited, getting ready to work, and then he is basically forced off the project by the studio dispute. It really seems like Peter didn't want to make the Hobbit. Very reluctant. I can see why considering the stress has done nothing for his health.

Quote:
I will say that these special features are a lot funnier, and a lot of that has to do with the cast. Freeman and McTavish especially.
When Freeman is trying to explain how useless everyone's advice for the play Bilbo was.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #210
Victarion
Iron Captain

Did the features show the stages of Azog's development from prosthetics to CG?

What sort of advice was Freeman given?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #211
Boom
I got nothin'

His acting was very contemporary when he first started. Jackson was trying to walk him through how to make it more "period," and it wasn't registering right off the bat.

And yes, the cluster**** that was Azog's development is very well documented.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #212
Rincewind
grezdei

Quote:
Because of the 3D perspective, they couldn't use false perspective camera tricks to make Gandalf look taller like they had done with Rings.

Instead, they built a set to the scale of Bilbo and the dwarves, whereas McKellen had to work on a completely green screen set by myself with flashing bulbs representing the dwarves, and his only form of interaction with the other cast members was via a radio in his ear where he could barely hear the other actors acting the scene out on the set across the studio.

In his words, it was basically sensory deprivation, and he had a brief moment of panic where he thought this was the future of cinematic acting and he would have to retire. So he broke down and cried in the middle of a take. You actually got the impression that he was about to just get up and quit.

Just another great example of why 3D is terrible. Watching him try to work through all of that nonsense was truly uncomfortable. Can't even imagine what it must have been like for him.
But... but we got awesome 3D! Surely, there is nothing awesomer than 3D and Ian McKellen's distress is a small price to pay to have an awesome troll awesomely blow his awesome nose on awesome 3D! What does it matter that a great actor can't really act this way? It results in awesome 3D!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #213
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
Did the features show the stages of Azog's development from prosthetics to CG?
Yes. And it is not a pretty picture. Peter really handled it horribly.

Quote:
What sort of advice was Freeman given?
Basically Bilbo is you from everyone other then Peter. So basically, no help from them. Peter couldn't figure out how to explain to Martin how he already saw him play the scene perfectly in his head. Martin was too modern for him, and then Peter started bringing up a character from back in the day who Martin had no idea existed as an example.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #214
Boom
I got nothin'

My only gripes with the special features (other than the terribleness that is Boyens):

- The redesigned Wargs weren't covered in the creature design featurette.
- No concept art galleries.

And the lack of a cast commentary is devastating. I would've killed to hear these guys discuss the movie.

Last edited by Boom; 11-08-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #215
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
My only gripes with the special features (other than the terribleness that is Boyens):

- The redesigned Wargs weren't covered in the creature design featurette.
- No concept art galleries.

And the lack of a cast commentary is devastating. I would've killed to hear this guys discuss the movie.
Yep. It was amazing listening to everything they did in pre-production and so far it feels like little to none of it has made it into the film. The characters histories and relationships are almost nonexistent in the films.

My biggest grip was that there was only about 10 mins of weapons talk. I love the weapon design.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #216
vinsanity
Side-Kick

I love the scene of Martin Freeman talking about the extras in Hobbiton, specially the one who was in a wheelchair, it brought a tear to his eye.

I'm listening to the audio commentary and when PJ is talking during the battle of azanulbizar, he says that he's glad that he could do the orcs CGI, and he was frustrated that he couldn't do it in the LOTR movies, because he thinks the orcs shouldn't have human proportions in their faces and their bodies. I just cringed my teeth, that's one of the best things about those movies, if they had gone full CG, George Lucas style, don't know if those movies would had the same impact, the CG would have been outdated by now, where the prosthestics man in suit still looks great

Old 11-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #217
vinsanity
Side-Kick

Quote:

My biggest grip was that there was only about 10 mins of weapons talk. I love the weapon design.
And the sound design, always loved those featurettes to where they come with the sounds of the different creatures

Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #218
regwec
Make Mine Marble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
But... but we got awesome 3D! Surely, there is nothing awesomer than 3D and Ian McKellen's distress is a small price to pay to have an awesome troll awesomely blow his awesome nose on awesome 3D! What does it matter that a great actor can't really act this way? It results in awesome 3D!

You know...I really feel this to some extent, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I know it's simplistic, but the whole enterprise looks like the systematic exploitation of innocence. The spectacle of elderly, avuncular Ian McKellen being tortured in the pursuit of ****** FX and expensive 3d is like seeing someone force Santa Claus to abuse himself on camera.

I know I'm an old fart who can't get past what JRR Tolkien might have made of all this, but my impression is that he would feel crushed.

And angry.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #219
Rincewind
grezdei

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
You know...I really feel this to some extent, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I know it's simplistic, but the whole enterprise looks like the systematic exploitation of innocence. The spectacle of elderly, avuncular Ian McKellen being tortured in the pursuit of ****** FX and expensive 3d is like seeing someone force Santa Claus to abuse himself on camera.

I know I'm an old fart who can't get past what JRR Tolkien might have made of all this, but my impression is that he would feel crushed.

And angry.
I actually wouldn't have cared that much if it was about something... worthwhile. If it somehow, hypothetically, meant that this was for the good of the film. But to me, 3D is a needless gimmick that is forced down our throats for no better reason than executives and suits thinking that it will make them more money.

In other words, why go through all this trouble? Why make the guy so distressed that he would have a flash of panic about his future? For **** sake, 10 years ago the same director and the same actor made the LOTR movies without crap like this. And it resulted in better - and more financially successful - films! It's just...

Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #220
Victarion
Iron Captain

I'm not versed in the intricacies of Middle-Earth, but would it have made any difference if they just used a different name for the Pale Orc?

Yeah vin, the scene where Saruman's goblins are unearthing the orcs still looks great.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #221
Arc-Light
Forward and beyond

Yeah i agree to use CGI(all the time) to an extent is bothersome, BUT you all have to admit the CGI in The Hobbit was damn good......

Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #222
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
I'm not versed in the intricacies of Middle-Earth, but would it have made any difference if they just used a different name for the Pale Orc?

Yeah vin, the scene where Saruman's goblins are unearthing the orcs still looks great.
It should have just been Bolg. the entire time.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #223
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc-Light View Post
Yeah i agree to use CGI(all the time) to an extent is bothersome, BUT you all have to admit the CGI in The Hobbit was damn good......
The same was said of the CGI in Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone . . . but today the effects look like they were made for a poorly done "made for TV movie".

Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #224
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
The special features are great, but I really could have done without actually seeing Ian McKellen's breakdown.

That was rough .
Did they show what Jackson did for him tho? Jackson found another way to film his parts involve him with the other actors so he wasn't filming by himself.

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #225
Boom
I got nothin'

Yes, and I'm sure every living soul on the face of the earth is extremely grateful for it, none moreso than McKellen himself.

I'm just shocked that it actually took one of the world's greatest living actors to have an emotional breakdown on set for them to realize what an awful idea it was. Any other sane person would have seen that disorientating green environment with light bulbs marked with pictures of the other actors' faces and thought, "Yeah, absolutely no joy will come of this."