The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #301
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Default Re: Official Young Avengers Discussion Thread - Part 1

Ok, that last page of issue 8....whaaaaaaaaat!?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #302
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Yeah, that was out of left field. Not only for the issue, but for the entire publication history of the character.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #303
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Yeah, I'm sure it's not what it looks like but wowzers

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #304
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

That was the general consensus when the issue came out. I don't know much about the character to begin with so I was confused as to why that was.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #305
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
That was the general consensus when the issue came out. I don't know much about the character to begin with so I was confused as to why that was.
He had a brief relationship with Surge but surely nothing to prevent him from having been bisexual this whole time. I'm sure the explanation will be swift, fun, and satisfying

Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #306
JewishHobbit
Banned User

I wouldn't mind him being bisexual. I just don't like when writers take an established heterosexual character and make them homosexual. I'm hoping that's not the case.

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 07-30-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #307
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

I remember when Brian Azzarello randomly made John Constantine Bisexual in a arc in Hellbazer and then it was never mentioned again lol.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #308
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I remember when Brian Azzarello randomly made John Constantine Bisexual in a arc in Hellbazer and then it was never mentioned again lol.
It had been mentioned by other writers before that, just never shown.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #309
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I wouldn't mind him being bisexual. I just don't like when writers take an established heterosexual character and make them homosexual. I'm hoping that's not the case.
I wouldn't care if he was bi, I'm just not in the mood for a love triangle. I love Billy and Teddy and this new complication in their relationship would be unwelcome.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #310
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Their love story is kinda getting old for me. I feel like we can't have a Young Avengers story without their romance being the center of it somehow.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #311
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Quote:
Their love story is kinda getting old for me. I feel like we can't have a Young Avengers story without their romance being the center of it somehow.
For sure, the PDA could be toned down a lot but I'd like them to remain a couple.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #312
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
except unless a character says "I'm Straight" or "that's not for me" or "I don't swing that way" then they're sexuality isn't really established.

Hitting on a girl or dating one just means they like girls (and says nothing about having a taste or not for men)

and I know quite a few gay guys who dated girls before they figured themselves out.....

spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #313
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

YOUNG AVENGERS #12
KIERON GILLEN (W)
JAMIE MCKELVIE (A/C)
The Young Avengers versus “The Young Avengers”. The stakes? What have you got?
Loki’s scheme reaches its final twist. Expect the team’s jaws to just hit the floor and lie there, twitching for the rest of the comic.
A tempting offer for Noh-Varr may get an arrow through his head. Other romance based drama too, as kissing is the new planetary extinction event.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Old 08-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #314
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
except unless a character says "I'm Straight" or "that's not for me" or "I don't swing that way" then they're sexuality isn't really established.

Hitting on a girl or dating one just means they like girls (and says nothing about having a taste or not for men)

and I know quite a few gay guys who dated girls before they figured themselves out.....
True, and if it were a younger character like Prodigy I can forgive it for that reason. I just hate when people take long established characters and change them. I have nothing against gay characters, but I prefer them to be younger characters or newer characters. If they ever do make Iceman gay, that'll tick me off. But someone like Anole was done perfectly. He wasn't introduced as gay but it went that way naturally. And even better, his sexuality doesn't define him (like with Wiccan and Hulking unfortunately... when it didn't start that way). Taking an established character that's never been shown or hinted at as gay would bother me. Chances are if I were reading it back then, I'd have hated the Northstar issue... but then again, I've never read the old Alpha Flight series, so it might have been a natural progression of the character's sexuality.

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 08-15-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #315
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
True, and if it were a younger character like Prodigy I can forgive it for that reason. I just hate when people take long established characters and change them. I have nothing against gay characters, but I prefer them to be younger characters or newer characters. If they ever do make Iceman gay, that'll tick me off. But someone like Anole was done perfectly. He wasn't introduced as gay but it went that way naturally. And even better, his sexuality doesn't define him (like with Wiccan and Hulking unfortunately... when it didn't start that way). Taking an established character that's never been shown or hinted at as gay would bother me. Chances are if I were reading it back then, I'd have hated the Northstar issue... but then again, I've never read the old Alpha Flight series, so it might have been a natural progression of the character's sexuality.
i agree to an extent. I think like someone who's shown actual angst over loving and being attracted to a woman, especially when it's incredibly deep and you can never question it (like Peter Parker) should never be changed. But if the story is good, and it's built up for someone who's only relationship stories have been very much thin and we are really never given there opinion, it'd make more sense to me.

Like lets say Johnny Storm was always shown with women, but he never had a serious relationship and he never once talked about his true emotional feelings for a woman.. and then they built a story around him where he had been struggling with his thoughts for years... and paraded women around him just because he desperately wanted to be straight, and to never let anyone in on his own deep personal feelings.. then yeah, that'd be an interesting and acceptable story.

But... we've already seen johnny in a few serious relationships with women and we've read his thoughts on them, so he can never be written as anything but straight. If that makes sense?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #316
JewishHobbit
Banned User

That makes perfect sense actually, and I completely agree.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #317
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that man-whores like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark don't need to clearly say "I'm straight"

Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #318
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I'm pretty sure that man-whores like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark don't need to clearly say "I'm straight"
Not according to Stony shippers

Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #319
JewishHobbit
Banned User

I've missed Hawkingbird

Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #320
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
It honestly (in the real world) wouldn't be the first time I've heard about a gay/bi guy being a "man-whore" towards women at a point in their lives.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #321
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

Quote:
It honestly (in the real world) wouldn't be the first time I've heard about a gay/bi guy being a "man-whore" towards women at a point in their lives.
Fair point, but I think that certain characters have been developed towards one sex for sooooooo long to the point where specifically saying one's sexuality is completely unnecessary. There are characters like Prodigy who haven't been around long enough and thus have the room to be developed into a gay/bisexual character and the freedom to be sexually neutral until further defined. But a character that has been around for 40+ years like the Human Torch, Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man, Thor, Superman, Green Lantern, etc. and have had no homosexual tendencies at all.....keep them straight because any attempt to alter their sexuality will inevitably come off as some horribly executed and hamfisted attempt to generate attention. Their sexuality has had decades worth of development that is firmly heterosexual.

Hell, look at how horribly executed turning Alan Scott into a gay character was. They kill his boyfriend, they erase a very well developed gay character in Obsidian in the process, they undo his marriage, and they did it to a character who was once characterized as a stuffy, old fashioned conservative.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #322
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

YOUNG AVENGERS #9
KIERON GILLEN (W)
JAMIE MCKELVIE (A/C)
• We wanted to just write “Screaming! Screaming! Screaming!” for this solicit, but we’re told we need boring old facts.
• Anyway! The Young Avengers road trip across the multiverse goes proper crazy as it reaches it’s destination. It’s destination is mainly EXCITEMENT and HEARTBREAK.
• Several Young Avengers decide what to do next. The question is, whether what they do next is to be Young Avengers...
• Honestly, screaming.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #323
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

This series has got better with every issue. I can't wait

Old 08-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #324
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Fair point, but I think that certain characters have been developed towards one sex for sooooooo long to the point where specifically saying one's sexuality is completely unnecessary. There are characters like Prodigy who haven't been around long enough and thus have the room to be developed into a gay/bisexual character and the freedom to be sexually neutral until further defined. But a character that has been around for 40+ years like the Human Torch, Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man, Thor, Superman, Green Lantern, etc. and have had no homosexual tendencies at all.....keep them straight because any attempt to alter their sexuality will inevitably come off as some horribly executed and hamfisted attempt to generate attention. Their sexuality has had decades worth of development that is firmly heterosexual.

Hell, look at how horribly executed turning Alan Scott into a gay character was. They kill his boyfriend, they erase a very well developed gay character in Obsidian in the process, they undo his marriage, and they did it to a character who was once characterized as a stuffy, old fashioned conservative.
i agree completely for the most part. Nothing should ever feel forced. Which is why i brought up Iceman rather than Peter and Human torch whom both have a massive track record with being emotionally connected to women, not just arm candy. Iceman, im less familiar with in terms of his love life, but lets say while he's dated women and even has come off like a womanizer at times... we never saw the character (or a character like him) get emotionally attached to women, he was just sorta a man-whore. That has room to work with imo. Would fans still cry foul and think it's forced even when it's well executed? SURE... but that's to be expected.

DC handled Alan Scott incredibly poorly all around.

I thought Marvel making Black Cat & Max Dillon Bi-sexual worked pretty well though

Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #325
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Iceman's been straight for far too long. Even if there is room to work with, they shouldn't touch that.

When did they make Black Cat and Max Dillon Bi? This is the first I'm hearing about that. Max Dillon doesn't bother me, but Black Cat's never shown any indication of being bisexual that I'm aware of. She'd be more along the lines of Peter and Johnny as well established straight.