The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Luke Cage

Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #751
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Default Re: Luke Cage General Discussion Thread - Part 1

These Marvel Netflix shows usually do a pretty good job with their villains.

Hopefully Mustafa Shakir will knock it out of the park as John McIver (Bushmaster).

I've seen Shakir in Quarry, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Timeless and The Deuce. He is a solid actor.

Mustafa Shakir is from Harlem and is a big comic book fan so I can see why he would audition for a role in Luke Cage.

I've only seen Gabrielle Dennis in Rosewood. I'm sure she will do well as Nightshade.

Glad to see Commanche is out of prison and seemingly teaming up with his old partner Shades. I could see Commanche acting as top loyal muscle/enforcer for Shades and Black Mariah's criminal gang. Taking the place of guys like Zip and Tone from season one.

Looks like a few other actors not yet announced have roles in season 2.

Omar Dorsey (Ray Donovan, Django Unchained, Selma & Queen Sugar).

Simone Missicks's husband Dorian Missick (Animal Kingdom, Lucky Number Slevin & Southland)

Eugene Byrd (Arrow, Bones, True Blood, Sleepers, 8 Mile)

Last edited by chamber-music; 12-12-2017 at 03:50 AM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:23 AM   #752
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morg View Post
Blue Ray on BB but no release date at this time

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/luke-ca...?skuId=6157015
Reload the page. You can add it to cart

I did an in-store pick-up for it. I am getting after work, sometime around 6 or 7. I just got a notice that my order is ready, so they must have something Luke Cage in stock, LOL

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 12-12-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #753
Morg
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Reload the page. You can add it to cart

I did an in-store pick-up for it. I am getting after work, sometime around 6 or 7. I just got a notice that my order is ready, so they must have something Luke Cage in stock, LOL
Went out to my local BB, they had it only 2 more blu ray left so they must been selling good

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #754
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morg View Post
Went out to my local BB, they had it only 2 more blu ray left so they must been selling good
Got mine

This is such an under the radar release, though. Even more so than the other Netflix/Marvel releases were. Only Best Buy from what I see is selling it online and not sure if stores carry it in store. Wonder why this was such low key.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #755
KevTravels
Side-Kick

I can't wait for season 2

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #756
dmcreif
Side-Kick

I saw an IMDb listing that suggests that we might get another member of Luke's rogues gallery in season 2 in the form of Mr. Fish.

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #757
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcreif View Post
I saw an IMDb listing that suggests that we might get another member of Luke's rogues gallery in season 2 in the form of Mr. Fish.
whose that?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #758
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTravels View Post
whose that?
Isn't Fish the guy in season one who was a friend of Pop and Luke?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #759
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

IMDB isn't that reliable as a news source.

Quote:
whose that?
Mortimer Norris. A low level crook who stumbled into some stolen radioactive waste , fell into the East River and emerged as a mutated amphibious fish-man with enhanced strength. Mr Fish established a branch of the Maggia in his area and had a dwarf second in-command called Shrike.

Bill Norris (the brother of original Mr Fish) also got mutated and took the mantle for a while.

Mr Fish is one of Luke Cage more goofy rogues. I doubt he is showing up in the show resembling anything like his comic counterpart if he is apperaing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Isn't Fish the guy in season one who was a friend of Pop and Luke?
That is Bobby Fish. His name is a homage to Bobby Fischer, a chess grandmaster and the eleventh World Chess Champion which is why you see him playing chess in Luke Cage. The character is basically one of those type of guys that hang around at black barber shops and talk about anything and anything.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #760
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Thanks for replying.

I sure hope they can really draw enough of the comic book character to appease the fans, but keep it short of any "fish mutation"

btw how was Cottonmouth and Diamondback in the comics? were they over the top?

Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #761
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Thanks for replying.

I sure hope they can really draw enough of the comic book character to appease the fans, but keep it short of any "fish mutation"

btw how was Cottonmouth and Diamondback in the comics? were they over the top?
Cottonmouth is a Drug kingpin instead of a illegal arms dealer in the comics.

Comic Cottonmouth has razor sharp teeth (like another Luke Cage foe Raymond' Piranha' Jones). Cottonmouth also has super strength for reasons never explained. Comic Cottonmouth also seems older than his live action counterpart.

Comic Diamondback was childhood best friends with Cage rather than his half brother. Cage has a younger brother but he is a different character. Stryker framed Cage because he was jealous that his girlfriend Reva Connors liked Cage and was going to leave him for Cage. Cage also saved Stryker's life from rival mobsters that were after him which Stryker felt made him look bad.

Diamondbacks gimmicks in the comics originally was knives. He had gimmicked knives that exploded, released toxic gases or created sonic waves.

Diamondback in the current Defenders comic now has unexplained super strength and super speed. He leaves diamonds next to his victims as a calling card gimmick and he is allied with Kingpin (Wilson Fisk).

Comic Dimondback is less over the top in regards to personality. He isn't quoting the bible like the show version and isn't obsessed with Cage. Comic book Dimondback is obsessively driven with becoming a New York crime boss, he wants everyone to know he is the top dog and can be ruthless to those that oppose him.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #762
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Those are some hilarious descriptive villains. Oh the 70's

I still find it really cool that Nicolas Cage's surname was chosen due to his love of the Luke Cage comics.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #763
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Those are some hilarious descriptive villains. Oh the 70's

I still find it really cool that Nicolas Cage's surname was chosen due to his love of the Luke Cage comics.
I remember years ago reading about a Luke Cage movie script that included a scene where he needed to come up with a new name, looks at a movie poster with Nick Cage on it and chooses Luke Cage as a result. Nice little trivia touch.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #764
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
I remember years ago reading about a Luke Cage movie script that included a scene where he needed to come up with a new name, looks at a movie poster with Nick Cage on it and chooses Luke Cage as a result. Nice little trivia touch.
sounds really cool.

i kinda wonder if Luke Cage was made into a film back in the 90s or 00's or even in the MCU, who would be cast for the role?

Old 12-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #765
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
sounds really cool.

i kinda wonder if Luke Cage was made into a film back in the 90s or 00's or even in the MCU, who would be cast for the role?
John Singleton wanted Tyrese Gibson to play Luke Cage when he was attached to the movie version at Columbia Pictures back in 2004.

Avi Arad said he wanted Jamie Foxx to play Cage at a Bear Stearns Conference in 2005. Arad seemed a big supporter of Foxx who would later go on to play Electro in Arad produced The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #766
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
John Singleton wanted Tyrese Gibson to play Luke Cage when he was attached to the movie version at Columbia Pictures back in 2004.

Avi Arad said he wanted Jamie Foxx to play Cage at a Bear Stearns Conference in 2005. Arad seemed a big supporter of Foxx who would later go on to play Electro in Arad produced The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
I wonder if they cared at all that both are way too short to play a character whose physicality is a big factor in his characterization. Plus Tyrese is too poor an actor.

I guess we lucked out with Colter. Has the acting skills and physique to perfectly play Luke.

Though that guy from Agents of Shield might have an solid option as well.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #767
KevTravels
Side-Kick

I hope we hear more about it by the time JJS2 drops. It's due a release sometime this summer. Probably late July or August.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:35 AM   #768
eon001
Side-Kick

I really hope the tone is lighter. Maybe ease of on the social and political elements and focus on crime and drama.

I wouldn't mind if they went full Black Dynamite for a few episodes.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #769
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Colter was at the Black Panther premiere and said season 2 of Cage is more fast paced.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #770
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Colter was at the Black Panther premiere and said season 2 of Cage is more fast paced.
Glad to hear. We should be hearing something about it once JJS2 drops next month. I figure we see a July or August debut. I'm betting on late July.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #771
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I'm looking forward to it.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #772
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't think the pace was my issue. I think it was Diamondback. In general, the 2nd half of the season was just inferior. The moment where it jumped the shark for me was "I am your brother!!!" Just...awful writing, and then they proceeded to make Diamondback unbearably annoying!!!

Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #773
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

It was just too long. Why do the seasons have to be 13 episodes long? If you can do better, more streamlined storytelling in 10, so be it. I felt Iron Fist was the same way.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #774
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I don't think the pace was my issue. I think it was Diamondback. In general, the 2nd half of the season was just inferior. The moment where it jumped the shark for me was "I am your brother!!!" Just...awful writing, and then they proceeded to make Diamondback unbearably annoying!!!
I didn't like dimondback being Luke's brother either. It was cliche and the daddy loved you more than me motivation was not that interesting. The comic version had better motivation for turning on cage.

Colter and cheo said they were finding the shows footing the first season. They both said they now have a better idea of what they think the show is.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #775
Random490
Side-Kick

His backstory and motivation didn't bother me so much as the performance. I don't mind diamondback being bat**** crazy and, while it was way too campy, the major problem is there was no build up for it. Before he appeared Diamondback was billed as a Wilson Fisk sort of figure. The guy in the background with a huge criminal empire. Someone to be feared. We also see that Shades was fiercely loyal to him. The problem was, we the audience never understand why. In the flash back we see him as a normal and even good kid, but right out the gate, as an adult, he was just crazy. There was no in-between to connect the two.

It would have been so much more effective if there was a gradual shift. If when we first see him he was in his right head and over the course of the next several episodes grow more and more unhinged, then it all would have worked so much better. So when Shades starts questioning him, it makes sense and doesn't lead the audience to think "you're just noticing this now?"

The idea of someone who turns to crime, frames his brother due to a deep seeded hatred and jealous to not only ruin Luke's name but his father's name as well. Then upon learning that Luke not only didn't die in prison but also got super powers and became beloved by a whole community gets driven more and more insane. That's not a bad backstory but they had a poor execution. He needed some sort of character arc and we needed to a little more of that transition.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote