The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #551
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

There's another possible way of reversion: if the studio owning it goes bankrupt. I'm fairly certain that the licensing contracts don't allow Sony or Fox unlimited freedom to resell the rights, so if Sony left the movie business, Marvel would probably regain Spider-man.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #552
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

What's the chance of Sony leaving the movie business though? I heard Sony was in some trouble, but are they on the brink of bankruptcy?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #553
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

So, is it that Fox has to start filming by 2015 before they lose the rights to FF, or is it that a FF movie has to be out by 2015? I imagine that if it's the former, then odds are that Fox will be retaining the rights.

Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #554
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
So, is it that Fox has to start filming by 2015 before they lose the rights to FF, or is it that a FF movie has to be out by 2015? I imagine that if it's the former, then odds are that Fox will be retaining the rights.
They have to be in production by Fall of 2013 or the rights revert as production for FFROTSS started Aug of 2006. They a have little time but if they're banking on Josh Trank to direct they have a snag cause he's also signed with WB to direct the Red Star to start shooting late 2013 so thats a conflict. If josh drops out at the last min then they'll have the Daredevil situation all over again.

I just edited the whole thing cause my dates were wrong

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 10-24-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #555
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Wow.. I thought they had more time. FF is really under the gun. Young Prime YOU just might get your wish based on the 7 year rule established on when Elekra started principal photography around May of 04 and the rights reverting with extensions in OCt of 2012.. Hmm... We might be "poppin bottles" LOL!!!!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #556
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
They have to be in production by Fall of 2013 or the rights revert as production for FFROTSS started Aug of 2006. They a have little time but if they're banking on Josh Trank to direct they have a snag cause he's also signed with WB to direct the Red Star to start shooting late 2013 so thats a conflict. If josh drops out at the last min then they'll have the Daredevil situation all over again.

Well just putting it out there that I don't know anything about Red Star but if Josh leaves Fox to for Red Star I'll watch it twice in theaters and buy the blu-ray.

If he chooses the FF reboot I'll hate him for life. Or for the next 7 years at least.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #557
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Wow.. I thought they had more time. FF is really under the gun. Young Prime YOU just might get your wish based on the 7 year rule established on when Elekra started principal photography around May of 04 and the rights reverting with extensions in OCt of 2012.. Hmm... We might be "poppin bottles" LOL!!!!
Yeah and not to mention that Josh Trank has yet to publicly speak on directing a F4 reboot.

But I'm not naive either. Fox could pull a move close to like what was done in "94" just to be spiteful SOB's.

But I will keep my fingers crossed.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #558
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
Yeah and not to mention that Josh Trank has yet to publicly speak on directing a F4 reboot.

But I'm not naive either. Fox could pull a move close to like what was done in "94" just to be spiteful SOB's.

Releasing the FF reboot in 2014 is suicide (CA-WS, ASM2, XM-DOFP ad GotG)

Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #559
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:

Well, if that's the case, then my hope has been reignited.

Quote:

I wouldn't put it past Fox to do this.

Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #560
SoNicRaDiATioN
Banned User

The hiring of Millar just makes it seem more likely that a FF film will happen at Fox.

SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #561
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
The hiring of Millar just makes it seem more likely that a FF film will happen at Fox.
You just keep hope alive but ASM2 and CA-WS and everybody else have scheduled release dates in 2014 and have casting locked in and ready to go. WHAT SAY YOU FF REBOOT??

Something tells me just like Daredevil they either don't realize the revert date or the deal to extend is already done and they haven't released the info yet.

Just like my favorite show 24. Tick, Tick, Tick Tick

Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #562
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Thats worth suing them over is they do that again

Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #563
SoNicRaDiATioN
Banned User

Quote:
You just keep hope alive but ASM2 and CA-WS and everybody else have scheduled release dates in 2014 and have casting locked in and ready to go. WHAT SAY YOU FF REBOOT??
Well if they have a year before they have to be in production, there's still plenty of time.

It just seems strange that Millar would go on about the intended FF direction (right after he's hired as a consultant) if there wasn't a legitimate attempt being made. I assume they would have learned from DD.

Quote:
Something tells me just like Daredevil they either don't realize the revert date.....
They know the date.

Quote:
.....or the deal to extend is already done and they haven't released the info yet.
Why would they sit on this info if it were true?

Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #564
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

But you do still realize that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics
Releasing the FF reboot in 2014 is suicide (CA-WS, ASM2, XM-DOFP ad GotG

Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #565
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

And 2015 isn't much better either (even if they filmed it but spent 2 years in post production) because of Avengers 2 and Justice League.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #566
SoNicRaDiATioN
Banned User

Quote:
But you do still realize that
I think early 2015 is more likely. If they don't want that June spot.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 10-24-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #567
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Well if they have a year before they have to be in production, there's still plenty of time.
I guess

Quote:
It just seems strange that Millar would go on about the intended FF direction (right after he's hired as a consultant) if there wasn't a legitimate attempt being made. I assume they would have learned from DD.
I guess not. Why do you wait till the last year of the agreement to do something?

Quote:
Why would they sit on this info if it were true?
Great question. I was just guessing why they're so cavalier on the time crunch. If they were going for a 2014 date who are talking about casting, When are they starting principle Photography? Is the script done yet?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #568
SoNicRaDiATioN
Banned User

Quote:

I guess not. Why do you wait till the last year of the agreement to do something?
One advantage is you create a bigger gap between the potential reboot and the previous film, which was bad.

Quote:
When are they starting principle Photography? Is the script done yet?
Like we said, they have a year before production needs to happen. Let's wait and see where we are in 6 months

Old 10-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #569
Sardaukar
Side-Kick

I find it hard to believe that Fox could do a cheaply made direct to video release like the 1994 movie just to retain their rights. Surely Marvel has some control over the budget and production/marketing standards.

Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #570
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardaukar View Post
I find it hard to believe that Fox could do a cheaply made direct to video release like the 1994 movie just to retain their rights. Surely Marvel has some control over the budget and production/marketing standards.
I remember talk of a 'quality clause' and I suspect there are clearly defined parameters.

I also think Fox would be foolish to do something like that. They've already put out two crap FF films. If they make a 3rd that's Corman bad, there will no reason to hold on to the rights because they won't be worth anything anymore.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #571
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I dunno, a Troma team straight-to-dvd FF movie might be fun.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #572
Texas
Side-Kick

Did I miss something about DD reverting back to Marvel? Haven't seen any offical announcements anywhere

Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #573
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah it's likely but the fact that FOX is seemingly waiting till the last minute getting people who hope the rights would revert back to marvel is infuriating.

I mean seriously FOX? Your going to wait until the 6th year of a 7 year deadline to make a film that most fans would love to see done at another studio?

It might be petty or meaningless but I'm prepared to just boycott FOX indefinitely at this point.

Not saying a company shouldn't be able to make a living. But that song "No when to hold'em and know when to fold'em" comes to mind in this instance.

Sell the rights back to Marvel and make a profit that way. Tie FF up for anther 7 years and I'm going to ignore this studio for at least that long.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #574
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
I think early 2015 is more likely. If they don't want that June spot.
Disney needs to swoop in right now and make an "Incredibles 2" and stick it right in the middle of June 2015.

The first one was better than FOX's F4 by a long shot anyway!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #575
babykhris
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah it's likely but the fact that FOX is seemingly waiting till the last minute getting people who hope the rights would revert back to marvel is infuriating.

I mean seriously FOX? Your going to wait until the 6th year of a 7 year deadline to make a film that most fans would love to see done at another studio?

It might be petty or meaningless but I'm prepared to just boycott FOX indefinitely at this point.

Not saying a company shouldn't be able to make a living. But that song "No when to hold'em and know when to fold'em" comes to mind in this instance.

Sell the rights back to Marvel and make a profit that way. Tie FF up for anther 7 years and I'm going to ignore this studio for at least that long.

FOX doesn't have that many tentpole franchises, so I could see them trying to hold on to FF.

babykhris is online now   Reply With Quote