The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: Civil War

View Poll Results: Rate the movie!
10 94 31.02%
9 129 42.57%
8 37 12.21%
7 21 6.93%
6 10 3.30%
5 6 1.98%
4 3 0.99%
3 1 0.33%
2 0 0%
1 2 0.66%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 AM   #651
DarthPietro
Newbie First Class

Default Re: Users Rate & Review Civil War (TAG Spoilers!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
What Stark did by creating Ultron isn't like a celebrity killing somebody in drunk driving accident. He unleashed a rogue AI on the world that I assume killed tens of thousands and cost billions in damages. In our world there is no amount of money that could get you out of that. He'd go broke just in civil lawsuits alone.
Didn't AoU show that Tony didn't actually set Ultron in motion or program the A.I. that was supposed to become Ultron? I thought he couldn't sort of "crack the issue" of developing Ultron with the help of JARVIS before he left for the party. If that's the case, then Ultron became self-aware without Tony's knowledge. So Tony would only be responsible up to the point of giving rise to the opportunity for Ultron to become the sort of confused maniac that he eventually became.

Also, you have to remember that this is fiction - these movies contain tons of unrealistic stuff that we "allow" or convince ourselves to make sense a la reality. What I think is more important is the thematic value of the situations the characters find themselves in and what it says about them.

DarthPietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:22 AM   #652
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
I'd agree. Sometimes it looked fluid, but there were a few moments, especially when the two sides were running towards each other, where I thought "Spider-Man is literally not there." When the CG was good, it was good, but when it was bad, you really noticed.
Tom (or his stunt double)was there during the charging scene. Watch the BTS stuff.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #653
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalismanRing View Post
Since when? His first action as Captain America was defying orders when he rescued Bucky and the other POWs.

In The Avengers when Tony and Bruce were trying to figure out Fury's secrets via computer Steve broke in and found physical evidence of SHIELD and Fury making weapons from the Tesserect.

In TWS he butted heads with Fury over his secrets and agendas, distrusted Pierce and wouldn't hand over Fury's information and then he brought all of Project Insight and SHIELD down while Fury wanted SHIELD still standing..

Tony didn't act immediately. He asked Steve if he knew and Bucky said he remembered it all. So agenda or not Zemo's information was true. I think the film showed perfectly that Tony was running on high guilt and emotion, that he'd been emotionally battered and more than a bit fragile because of what happened with in AOU, losing Pepper then being confronted by a grieving mother. Even when he's more on keel he's an emotion driven character who makes huge at times decisions very quickly.

The Russos and M&M said the reason Tony find out at the end of the film and not the beginning was not only to have it also not all be about Bucky for everyone but if Tony had days to think about it he'd have acted differently than having the killer face to face with him in the moment he found out.
Agreed regarding Stark, he seemed to be on edge the entire movie, even with the dead sons mother he thought she was pulling a gun on him, so his outbursts throughout and reaction at the end matched the state of mind he was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Tom (or his stunt double)was there during the charging scene. Watch the BTS stuff.
I honestly had no issue with the CGI in that scene at all. I didn't even know there was an issue with it until I came on here.

1) Black Panther-8.5(2)The Shape of Water-8
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #654
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPietro View Post
Didn't AoU show that Tony didn't actually set Ultron in motion or program the A.I. that was supposed to become Ultron? I thought he couldn't sort of "crack the issue" of developing Ultron with the help of JARVIS before he left for the party. If that's the case, then Ultron became self-aware without Tony's knowledge. So Tony would only be responsible up to the point of giving rise to the opportunity for Ultron to become the sort of confused maniac that he eventually became.
A
Also, you have to remember that this is fiction - these movies contain tons of unrealistic stuff that we "allow" or convince ourselves to make sense a la reality. What I think is more important is the thematic value of the situations the characters find themselves in and what it says about them.
I'm pretty sure Ultron wouldn't have built if not for Tony. I was more or less making an observation about this film. I enjoyed it, but that bothered me this go around.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #655
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hm. Will take a look, but regardless, it still stuck out to me. There are moments where the CGI looked very fluid, but there, whether practical or not, it didn't work as well.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #656
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Oh, I agree, Panther was bad as well at times, but that shot of Spider-Man running with Team Iron Man was just...bad. It's the one instance of CGI that really stuck out to me. And it makes me wonder whether he was added in post since he wasn't running with the team in the second trailer...but then, that would have also ruined the surprise at the end of the trailer.
Someone mentioned this before I watched the movie when it came out, BP's triple spin kick was the worst.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #657
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Only CGI that stood out for me was Black Panther during the car chase. Other than that I had no complaints.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #658
Sleiek
Side-Kick

I loved the car chase scene. He seemed like he actually had super speed. The only thing that bothers me from BP is the triple spin kick.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #659
Doctor Octopus
Banned User

Quote:
So many surprised at that. They thought he was all cgi lol.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #660
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

In the BTS stuff, you can see that spidey's outfit looked very differently on set to what appeared on screen

so, if anything, Holland was there for color and lighting reference
what you end up seeing on screen, however, is at least as computer generated as Vision or Iron Man

and yeah, after watching again, Spider-Man and Iron Man (sans Helmet, he looked great helmet on) definitely bother the hell out of me in the CG department

Black Panther, Ant-Man, Vision, Falcon and War Machine all looked damn good though, imo didn't see one spot of shoddy effects on them

Old 09-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #661
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Yeah Black Panther looks bloody awesome except for that 2 second kick scene.

I am impressed considering they has a lot of CG work done on his suit.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #662
TeeKay
Side-Kick

That triple kick was actually done practically.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #663
auditor
Side-Kick

I absolutely love this movie.

auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:17 AM   #664
MrB

I wasn't impressed by the comic, and this movie was even less impressive. 5/10 for me.

MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #665
Doctor Octopus
Banned User

Quote:
That triple kick was actually done practically.
I knew it. That why it look so real.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #666
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

How the heck could anyone think this movie deserves a rating of 1? The fact that there are 2 shows how trolly some people were being.

If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you die, walk it off."--Captain America
Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #667
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Yeah. Different tastes and all, but IMO, there are only two ways for a movie to deserve a 1/10:

1. By being a complete failure on every level of film-making. Its not enough to have, say, just an absolutely incompetent script. It also has to have absolutely incompetent acting, and cinematography, and SFX, and. . .

Even having just adequate, or merely ordinarily bad, quality in even one major facet would disqualify a movie from a 1/10.

2. By having content that is so beyond the pale as to be morally abominable, regardless of the quality. Think "utter undiluted pro-Nazi propaganda", the kind that skips the hemming and hawing and goes straight to cheering the "hero" for pulling the switch on the gas chamber while smiling, and expects the audience to cheer along too.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #668
King23DC
Banned User

I can't get over how bland this movie is, along with the absolutely marginalized main protagonist.

RDJ brings the most depth, interest and intensity to his character since Iron Man 2. He has actual material to work with for a change beyond humor.

Paul Rudd is Paul Rudd, and he's utterly hilarious. The new Peter Parker is pitch perfect, and the rest is complete meh.

King23DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #669
ehh
iono

Just shows you that opinions are opinions and everyone feels differently.

I don't think Civil War is bland at all, not even close! Especially after following every film prior.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #670
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

My issue with Civil War is that it is a movie that bribes the viewer with trimmings unconnected to what the subject of the alleged thesis.

Folks laud the Russos for creating the best version of Spider-Man but guess what, that's not what they're supposed to be what they're doing. Same for Black Panther, and Ant-Man, and the rest.

Strip that trimming away and the thesis for this being a story about Cap is pretty thin.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:11 AM   #671
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

Just re-watched this.

I think the story is extremely well put together until the third act. Stark and Cap fighting because Stark is angry about his mom squandered a lot of what the movie was built on.

A couple other gripes:
-Spidey's dialogue. I don't think the writers have been around many modern teens.
-Black Widow and Scarlet Witch are lame, mostly because of the miscast actresses.
-Boseman was so-so.
-Some of the green-screen was shaky
-The airport fight was a little tonally awkward.

Still, the movie is entertaining in so many ways that everyone else has mentioned here. So while I don't find the destination very satisfying, the ride there was pretty awesome.

8/10

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote