The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: Civil War

Old 05-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #26
JB33
Side-Kick

Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: Civil War - Flaws/Critiques - Part 1

Some of these gripes, man. All you have to do is think these things through a bit.

I don't know. The plot flowed throughout for me. Tony's emotions came natural to me, as did everyone else's emotions and motives. It's unfortunate it wasn't that way for some other people because when it does all flow, it's such a great and satisfying movie that you can you just sit back and enjoy from beginning to end.

JB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #27
zephyrinthesky
Side-Kick

Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: Civil War - Flaws/Critiques - Part 1

On another note, I can't wait until the HISHE video comes out for CW.

"...what do we do, Cap?"
"....we fight."
"...seriously? But they have tank missiles and an invincible Superman robot on their side."
"We fight."
"Yeah, seriously Cap, there's no rush. We don't need to bring you in for another 12 hours or so."
"WE FIGHT DAMMIT!"

Last edited by zephyrinthesky; 05-19-2016 at 05:34 PM.
zephyrinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #28
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtheDreamer View Post
I actually like that explaining of Vision being there to limit catastrophe - the problem is the movie should have done a better job depicting that.

^^ funny vid !

I don't know Vision lore and his capabilities but I would have assumed he could do more to stop the fight without killing everyone.

And what about SW? In AOU, she got in everyone's head to spook them but here she can't plant lovely non violent thoughts?

Half fooling but the other half...wondering...

No-one stays good in this world...everything's changed...if you seek his monument - look around you - ARGO pick your nits ! I DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE DON'T GET IT...

Last edited by souperman; 05-19-2016 at 05:43 PM.
souperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #29
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB33 View Post
Some of these gripes, man. All you have to do is think these things through a bit.

I don't know. The plot flowed throughout for me. Tony's emotions came natural to me, as did everyone else's emotions and motives. It's unfortunate it wasn't that way for some other people because when it does all flow, it's such a great and satisfying movie that you can you just sit back and enjoy from beginning to end.
I think it's all in fun man...at least for me. It is an enjoyable show and has some great stuff but it does have some of the same issues as other films if you pick at it.

No-one stays good in this world...everything's changed...if you seek his monument - look around you - ARGO pick your nits ! I DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE DON'T GET IT...
Old 05-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #30
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

It's also clear with each viewing that the Russos REALLY lucked out with Tom Holland. Spider-Man was completely unnecessary to the plot at hand. The film would have completely crashed and burned in the middle if he didn't charm the audience's socks off. As it is, he's so fun to watch and so endearing that I really didn't care how useless his presence was.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #31
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
It's also clear with each viewing that the Russos REALLY lucked out with Tom Holland. Spider-Man was completely unnecessary to the plot at hand. The film would have completely crashed and burned in the middle if he didn't charm the audience's socks off. As it is, he's so fun to watch and so endearing that I really didn't care how useless his presence was.
IDA. The fight sequence was amazing and it wasnt bc Spider-Man was involved.

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #32
SuperAl
Superman's back!

pretty sure the spidey stuff was mostly voice over because it seemed like the person in costume was much bigger than Tom Holland.

Ratings:

Man of Steel: 9/10, Xmen First Class: 8/10, Winter Soldier: 9/10, BvS: 7/10, Civil War: 7/10
SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #33
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
IDA. The fight sequence was amazing and it wasnt bc Spider-Man was involved.
But I mean the whole thing with Tony being in Queens. It was an excuse to introduce a totally new character at that point in the movie. There was no indication at all that Peter Parker was going to come in, no foreshadowing, nothing. Usually that's a huge no-no, but OMG it worked anyway, due to the charm of Holland with RDJ.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #34
JtheDreamer
Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
^^ funny vid !

I don't know Vision lore and his capabilities but I would have assumed he could do more to stop the fight without killing everyone.

And what about SW? In AOU, she got in everyone's head to spook them but here she can't plant lovely non violent thoughts?

Half fooling but the other half...wondering...
If you really think about it, based on what SW did in AOU to mind control the Avengers and also to clear the civilians away from the church area of Sokovia - you'd think she could have done the same to Tony and his team at the airport.

JtheDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #35
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Ok, honey.

First off all, i never said the movie has no plot. At least quote me correctly. I said that the plot was weak/stupid on several levels. It's not an engaging story. How good do you think CW would be if it was a book? I assume half of the book would be fighting descriptions. Yeah, super interesting.

1. I don't find the whole permise of the movie convincing/interesting. A man who spent years manufacturing weapons that certainly killed a lot of innocents, and was also very active in a few catastrophic battles as Iron Man, suddently feels bad for the death of one boy and decides that he should be controlled by the UN, which may mean not interfering in situations where he actually could stop a lot of people from being killed. I don't see any reason for him to believe that anyone will be safer because of the accords. I don't see any reason for him to be that hurt for the loss of one life, when his past is probably filled with innocent victims.

2. The Sokovia accords are dumb and i don't see any reason for any of the avengers to sign it and accept being controlled by a bunch of incompetent politicians that could never actually save more lives than the heroes did until now. Plus, we are never given a solid example of why the avengers shouldn't act whenever they feel necessary. Pretty much every time i see them in action they're catching bad guys and saving lives. Who would do this job better? The police? C'mon. The permise is just not credible or well established enough for my personal taste. "If we can't accept limitations we're no better than bad guys". Is that your whole argument? Humm, yes you are better than bad guys and the planet earth probably still exists because of you. What's the point?

3. Tony's character is badly written and incoherent. I mean, he is so concerned with safety and the death of inocents but then recruits a kid he barely knows to help him with his personal agenda? Oh, and btw did Spider-Man signed the Sokovia accords? For such a big ass movie, there's just way too much not correctly explained.

4. The whole Zemo's plan is badly written. It is way too dependent of factors he has absolutely no control over. Everything that happens is way too convenient.

5. Poor TWS is responsible for the death of everyone's dad. Couldn't they had come up with something a little different? Two guys in the same movie wanting to beat his ass because of their daddy?

6. The movie is super unfocused. Plots and sub-plots don't really seem to get proper development. The resolutions are basic and not very interesting.

7. The movie is overstuffed with characters that didn't really need to be there but still made it to the movie because MCU is way too concerned about setting up future films. No artistic integrity there. Just business. That consumes a lot of time that could be added to the development of the main plot and the main characters.

8. There's just a lack of epicness to the whole thing. There's just so much punching and kicking and running and jumping and it happens so often that i became so indifferent to it as i am to an horror movie full of gore. There's no cinematic kick to it.

9. There's really no sense of resolution in the movie. Yeah, they disagree a lot, but nothing really seems to get solved. It's like they only present the conflict and that's it. And once again, Marvel didn't really comprimise with anything. Everything about the movie is so safe and calculated that i can't get excited about it.

10. Oh, again...the Sokovia Accords...at the end of the day, what's the difference? By the end of the movie they were still doing the police's job pursuing one man, accompanied by two brand new heroes that just appeared out of nowhere, but are supposedly "inside the law". Basically in the movie the Sokovia accords exist just for the sake of them having a disagreemet, but we don't really see those who signed affected by it, since they're still doing what they do in every movie, which is taking matters into their own hands and fighting "criminals".

Believe me, i could do this all day. I have a lot more complaints about the movie. I'm just not in the mood to spend hours trashing it. And i'm pretty sure some of you will try to counter my arguments, but believe me, it will be a waste of time. My mind is more than made. Nothing you can possibly say will change my views of the movie. It's just not a very smart film.
First off, cut the condescension. It doesn't make you seem smart or witty, it makes you seem rude and defensive. I made a perfectly logical request, which was for you to explain your views, and if you feel that threatened by a simple question that you need to respond in such a manner, you may want to rethink posting in the forums, because it will happen more than once. I also don't believe I said anything to you that necessitated that kind of response. If I did post something that you construed as insulting, then I apologize. It wasn't my intention, but I don't appreciate needless antagonistic responses either. We're on here to talk about the genre we love, not trade rude comments.

Secondly, I'm glad you did explain yourself, because as I've said before, in the many posts I had read from you, you hadn't. You only made generalized statements and left it at that. I don't agree with many of your assessments, but at least you described them.

I do find it odd that you don't want to discuss them...since that is the entire point of these forums, so I'm a bit confused as to why you would actually want to post about it at all. I know, at least from my perspective, the reason I enjoy coming on here is to talk about my opinions and see how others differ from them. Sometimes they make good points and it changes my perspective. But to come onto the boards with the mindset of "this is what I think I will never change!" Seems a bit...well...pointless. It's a discussion forum, and to discuss, we do talk about our views on these characters that we love. Not a statement forum where we show up, say what we think and leave it at that. That's a bit boring in my opinion. But to each their own.

But thank you for expounding on your opinions. If you'd like to debate them, feel free, because I think there are many story subplots you've overlooked or are simplifying.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:
http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #36
JtheDreamer
Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Quote:
But I mean the whole thing with Tony being in Queens. It was an excuse to introduce a totally new character at that point in the movie. There was no indication at all that Peter Parker was going to come in, no foreshadowing, nothing. Usually that's a huge no-no, but OMG it worked anyway, due to the charm of Holland with RDJ.
The movie should have made more of an effort to explain that Tony was after Peter's webbing to aid Team Stark in locking down Team Cap. Perhaps even foreshadow Stark's investigation into the "Spiderman" a little earlier in the film.

Unfortunately all we got was him showing up at the apartment and then dropping a quick blurb about the webbing's holding capacity being off the charts.

Last edited by JtheDreamer; 05-19-2016 at 07:25 PM.
JtheDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #37
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
The actors did good but that was one part of the film that came out of nowhere and did not need to be in there. That part and Spidey in general could have been completely cut from the film and nothing would have changed. It was unnecessary. Ill just agree to disagree that it saved the middle from crashing

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #38
MarvelMayhem
Side-Kick

I essentially felt even though it was incredible fun the inclusion of both Ant Man and Spider man neither were needed for the plot. I thought BP, yes, he was an absolute for the development of the storyline.
I still can't even justify Tony recruiting a 15 year old. Also Nat said she had a thought, BP, in the basement. With the inclusion of BP I am pretty sure that would have made them a formidable force. Rhodes, IM, BW, Vision, and BP...versus Cap, WS, and Falcon. At that time in the movie no one even new that that had gone after Antman, Wanda and Hawkeye. I mean, was Cap and IM texting each other stats on team rosters before the airport showdown?

MarvelMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:38 PM   #39
JB33
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
I think it's all in fun man...at least for me. It is an enjoyable show and has some great stuff but it does have some of the same issues as other films if you pick at it.
Fair enough. I don't really care either. I just read some of these things and think to myself that a little imagination goes a long way.

But hey, on the other hand, it's interesting to read everyone's take on the movie. I'll admit that there are a few points in here that have made me think a bit.

JB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:14 AM   #40
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZemo View Post
i wonder how many innocent swat team guys are now crippled from winter soldier and Captain beating the crap outta them. getting punched in the face by a super soldier isnt exactly a minor bruising.
Especially since a Cinder-block looks like it was thrown at one of the guys

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #41
Mike5575
I'm the Captain now!

Black Widow surviving that grenade was complete bs.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #42
samsnee
Side-Kick

I wish we had gotten a scene that showed Barton picking up Lang and them discussing why they need to help Cap.

samsnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #43
Nokio
Side-Kick

Mine would be why wasn't it explained how Tony knew about Parker and how he tracked him down.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #44
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB33 View Post
Fair enough. I don't really care either. I just read some of these things and think to myself that a little imagination goes a long way.

But hey, on the other hand, it's interesting to read everyone's take on the movie. I'll admit that there are a few points in here that have made me think a bit.
Yep.

You know it's funny, all these CBMs, not to mention most actin films, have stuff happening that would be impossible. Not hard to believe...Impossible. Yet the film makers need to construct a story and premise that allows us to suspend belief long enough to enjoy the film. They make up terms and technology and reasons and lore to help us pretend. If done well, we buy it and have a great time. If not...well, we are surprised that they didn't fool us enough.

Some do it better than others. For some the tricks work better. It's what makes us all different and unique and outside of here...interesting...

But you are right, it is interesting to hear the different reactions and what worked and didn't for each person. I am just enjoying this time in our lives when we can get so many varied films, most, very enjoyable and hope they do well enough to keep making them.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #45
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
Mine would be why wasn't it explained how Tony knew about Parker and how he tracked him down.
Because he's Bat...Lex...Tony Stark, that's how!

Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #46
zmystico
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
IIRC, didn't Tony show him footage of him as Spiderman? But how he knew it was Peter was something else.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #47
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Honestly, he's Tony Stark. He's a super genius with vast personal resources. I am entirely willing to buy him being able to off-screen bust the secret ID of a 15 year old kid who is making it up as he goes along. Its not really different than Steve and Natasha being able to sneak into an army base to steal advanced technology from a secure lockup off screen.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #48
speno94
Side-Kick

It's not really a flaw, but something I would have LIKED to have seen is a scene where we actually see the Pro-Registration Avengers sign the accords because all the characters seem to sign it off screen and I would of liked to have seen their reaction as they sign on the dotted line.

I was a little confused as to where and when they signed because the whole scene in Vienna was a meeting to ratify the accords and the official signing, but obviously the building was bombed killing T'Chaka, so did Tony and his team sign the accords back at the Avengers facility etc?

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #49
hurley711
Side-Kick

I agree with the how did Tony know Peter was Spiderman sentiment. And honestly I think the problem could have been solved within that scene why only adding 10 to 20 seconds. When Tony showed him the YouTube video and Peter said you know that stuff is all fake I think they should have shown Tony saying maybe it is but I know this isn't fake and then popping up a video from Stark satellite showing Spider-Man swinging back to his apt window. That would have shown that Tony was in fact tracking him , it would have given Tom Holland and excellent chance to show a oh crap he caught me moment, and then it would have flowed seamlessly back into the line that Tony says " does anyone else know?"

Maybe I'm crazy but what would that have added another 30 seconds tops and it would have been a legit explanation tonas how Tony found him because we all know he has the technology available so why not just show it quickly and give us an explanation.

hurley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #50
Stevie2020
Side-Kick

Fan-wank head cannon: the Avengers' operation routinely spends a certain amount of time and effort scouting talent.

Stevie2020 is offline   Reply With Quote