The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Old 03-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #26
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Default Re: Jason Momoa is Arthur Curry/Aquaman - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyarod View Post
Maybe he'll be more regal like when he's actually king or accepts his position as king. There's nothing wrong with him having more to his personality. I think they just didn't want to make him too stoic.
I just don't see it as personality. I see it as a caveman. There is a very fine line here. Say what you will about Zack Snyder, he is not the type to walk a fine line. Instead he will blow up the fine line (with a CGI explosion), chop up the remains into tiny little pieces (with CGI violence), burn those pieces (with a CGI fire), and then take a (CGI) piss on the ashes.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #27
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWolf View Post
Hal Jordan might not be in the film, but that one obligatory Leaguer that annoys Bruce is still there.
I'm sure Barry will be in that category as well.

DC Fans: "We need warriors.."

*SkullDevil raises his hand and fights for truth, justice and the PM way.*
SkullDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #28
nyyarod
yippee ki-yay mf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I just don't see it as personality. I see it as a caveman. There is a very fine line here. Say what you will about Zack Snyder, he is not the type to walk a fine line. Instead he will blow up the fine line (with a CGI explosion), chop up the remains into tiny little pieces (with CGI violence), burn those pieces (with a CGI fire), and then take a (CGI) piss on the ashes.
I feel ya I just hope that the other trailers and the movie change your mind about him.

nyyarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #29
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullDevil View Post
I'm sure Barry will be in that category as well.
Oh yeah... in a different way, though. Barry is too energetic and comical for Bruce's liking, but Arthur is straight-up taking the piss out of him. I assume they'll work out their differences, but it will be hilarious if in JL2 Hal Jordan arrives and it all starts over again.

"At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock."

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
KillerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #30
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

Hal Jordan and Arthur Curry. Dissing Bruce Wayne like no tomorrow.

DC Fans: "We need warriors.."

*SkullDevil raises his hand and fights for truth, justice and the PM way.*
SkullDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #31
The Guard
Side-Kick

There's a dash of "caveman" to this Aquaman, but again, that's still fairly in character for modern Arthur. When Arthur gets mad in modern interpretations, he can get a bit "feral" and violent. Complete with roaring, yelling, and issues controlling his temper and such.

I don't recall hearing him grunt, but if he did, it doesn't really change much. People grunt, even people who aren't literal cavemen.

That said, "caveman" isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's one more layer for his character and for creators to explore. He will have to tame this side of himself to rule wisely and maintain a relationship.

He clearly has two sides to him, as evidenced by his appearance at the end of the trailer.

They're taking some liberties with how he presents himself beyond the typical "stoic superhero", but the basics, those are still pretty faithful to the comics and various animated versions. He almost seems like a combination of the Justice League animated version of the character and the one from Batman: The Brave and The Bold.

As for him being regal, a key element of Arthur's character is that he often feels uncomfortable with the idea of being a king, but he's always had a very human side to him.

-Me
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #32
nyyarod
yippee ki-yay mf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
There's a dash of "caveman" to this Aquaman, but again, that's still fairly in character for modern Arthur. When Arthur gets mad in modern interpretations, he can get a bit "feral" and violent. Complete with roaring, yelling, and issues controlling his temper and such.

I don't recall hearing him grunt, but if he did, it doesn't really change much. People grunt, even people who aren't literal cavemen.

He clearly has two sides to him, as evidenced by his appearance at the end of the trailer.

They're taking some liberties with how he presents himself being the typical "stoic superhero", but the basics, those are still pretty faithful.

"Caveman" isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's one more layer for his character and for creators to explore. He will have to tame this side of himself to rule wisely and maintain a relationship.

As for him being regal, a key element of Arthur's character is that he often feels uncomfortable with the idea of being a king, but he's always had a very human side to him. He almost seems like a combination of the Justice League animated version of the character and the one from Batman: The Brave and The Bold.
Couldn't have said it better!

nyyarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #33
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullDevil View Post
Hal Jordan and Arthur Curry. Dissing Bruce Wayne like no tomorrow.
I love Bruce, but it's that good old Oscar Wilde quote coming to life: "A man who takes himself too seriously will find that no one else takes him seriously.", so it's funny seeing him in those situations.

"At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock."

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #34
CaptainWagner
Rebellion Kickstarter

I am SO ready for Momoa to put down the Aquaman jokes once and for all!

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #35
Silvermoth
Avenger

This is one Curry I won't be passing straight away! I reckon Aquaman will steal the show. Go Aquaman!

Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #36
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post

That said, "caveman" isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's one more layer for his character and for creators to explore. He will have to tame this side of himself to rule wisely and maintain a relationship.

They're taking some liberties with how he presents himself beyond the typical "stoic superhero", but the basics, those are still pretty faithful to the comics and various animated versions. He almost seems like a combination of the Justice League animated version of the character and the one from Batman: The Brave and The Bold.

As for him being regal, a key element of Arthur's character is that he often feels uncomfortable with the idea of being a king, but he's always had a very human side to him.
You seem to know a lot about Aquaman, thanx for all this knowledge and analysis. It sometimes hard to get a grasp on these characters because comic book history is so confusing and muddled. Wikipedia can sometimes make the confusion worse.
Snyder's Aquaman reminds me of the one from JLU.

Lois Lane
Jessica Chastain, Natalie Dormer, Scarlett Johansson

MydnightPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #37
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
This is one Curry I won't be passing straight away! I reckon Aquaman will steal the show. Go Aquaman!
Wait, wait... you've got a problem with curry? You and I need to have a serious talk.

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
Old 03-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #38
Silvermoth
Avenger

No not at all, it just goes straight through me. One minute I'm at the table, next I'm sitting upon the ol' porcelain throne with a very bad burn in a very uncomfortable place.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #39
Guts
Gul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Not like Thor, the character archetype in how they are used in the group dynamic is similar. An outsider to humanity from a foreign place, steeped heavily in mythology, where he is royalty. Just as I would say Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are similar archetypes. It doesn't make them the same character, far from it. Similar archetypes.

As to why Momoa's Aquaman is reminding me of a caricature of Hemsworth's Thor, just the general vibe I am getting from a very small sample size. Loud, rambunctious, over the top. Thor served a similar role in Avengers. Only here it seems to be cranked up to 100.
Except here he seems to be an outsider on both sides. The human world and Atlantis.

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #40
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
No not at all, it just goes straight through me. One minute I'm at the table, next I'm sitting upon the ol' porcelain throne with a very bad burn in a very uncomfortable place.
Okay, I can understand that... you simply disagree with it. That there is a perfectly valid excuse.

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
Old 03-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #41
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I like Tim Curry. Is that good enough?

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #42
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
I like Tim Curry. Is that good enough?
With chicken or beef?

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #43
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Beef

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #44
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Beef
Yeah, he does seem like a guy with more nutritious value to him anyway.

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
Old 03-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #45
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I'm thinking that Mamoa's playing Arthur/Orin as being the differentiation on the "Blue Blood" archetype that you see present in Aquaman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman's the classic, pure patrician type of nobility, all grace, control and discipline. She's the person who will show a stiff upper lip when things go wrong. Batman's the kind of modern capitalist interpretation of a Renaissance nobleman, who's fully aware of the flaws in his class's conduct and carries a bit more cynicism, but still carries himself with some vanity, albeit a justified amount that he treats as a cloak, like you'd expect a Florentine nobleman would have when caught between the Borgias and Medicis. And Aquaman's the original, feudal nobleman, from back when all the niceties and frills of nobility didn't exist yet, and it was understood that you were a noblemen because you had more capabilities than your peers and knew the burden of the accompanying responsibilities.

I think part of the reason why Snyder and Monoa are focusing on Arthur being aggressive towards Bruce when they meet is because their perceptions of challenges and insults, even teasingly implied ones, are different. To Bruce, a joke at another's expense is meant mostly as a harmless disarming tactic, fitting someone who rubs elbows with snobs and slobs, and thus uses diplomatic politics on an interpersonal level. For Arthur, the high-ranking nobleman from a far more barbaric kingdom where a symbol of status is a magic weapon, and where he might be dealing with the issues caused by a mixed birth, insults are possibly about power.

All that is just specualtion. Now, the one parallel I do think you can really see is that I think Arthur and Barry might have an odd trait shared in common; they both seemed pleased as punch to be in a battle for the planet with the League. Barry's geekiness is clearly established, and he's smiling when standing with the others. Arthur seems far more stoic and reserved, especially around Batman, but even he thinks riding the Batmobile into battle is freakin' awesome.

Who knows? Maybe Aquaman will act as Barry's older brother figure who actually shares an interest with him.

TEEN TITANS (03) VS TEEN TITANS GO! PODCAST https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #46
Zur-en-Arrh
Untitled

good thoughts, god'

Zur-en-Arrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:33 PM   #47
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
I'm thinking that Mamoa's playing Arthur/Orin as being the differentiation on the "Blue Blood" archetype that you see present in Aquaman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman's the classic, pure patrician type of nobility, all grace, control and discipline. She's the person who will show a stiff upper lip when things go wrong. Batman's the kind of modern capitalist interpretation of a Renaissance nobleman, who's fully aware of the flaws in his class's conduct and carries a bit more cynicism, but still carries himself with some vanity, albeit a justified amount that he treats as a cloak, like you'd expect a Florentine nobleman would have when caught between the Borgias and Medicis. And Aquaman's the original, feudal nobleman, from back when all the niceties and frills of nobility didn't exist yet, and it was understood that you were a noblemen because you had more capabilities than your peers and knew the burden of the accompanying responsibilities.

I think part of the reason why Snyder and Monoa are focusing on Arthur being aggressive towards Bruce when they meet is because their perceptions of challenges and insults, even teasingly implied ones, are different. To Bruce, a joke at another's expense is meant mostly as a harmless disarming tactic, fitting someone who rubs elbows with snobs and slobs, and thus uses diplomatic politics on an interpersonal level. For Arthur, the high-ranking nobleman from a far more barbaric kingdom where a symbol of status is a magic weapon, and where he might be dealing with the issues caused by a mixed birth, insults are possibly about power.

All that is just specualtion. Now, the one parallel I do think you can really see is that I think Arthur and Barry might have an odd trait shared in common; they both seemed pleased as punch to be in a battle for the planet with the League. Barry's geekiness is clearly established, and he's smiling when standing with the others. Arthur seems far more stoic and reserved, especially around Batman, but even he thinks riding the Batmobile into battle is freakin' awesome.

Who knows? Maybe Aquaman will act as Barry's older brother figure who actually shares an interest with him.
Bloody hell. That's a great assessment.

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #48
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

In Peter David's telling of the tale Arthur spends some time living in the oceanic wilderness. I can see if the origin in the DCEU is anything like that then it would explain an Aquaman that's got some sharp elbows and who chafes against polite society.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ To Be Continued A Fanboy Podcast: SOLO A STAR WARS STORY Spoiler Review Discussion.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:10 AM   #49
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

I see this Aquaman as more of a badass lion. A laid back king of his jungle, but is mighty and primal when it comes to protecting those he considers family. I'm glad he's not a stereotypical king.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Mindreaper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:11 AM   #50
Polux
Just some nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

This is a great post, mayne! One that I find myself agreeing with 90%, because....

I don't think Arthur is filling the "nobleman" archetype just yet, simply because I don't think he's in the point of his journey just yet; if I recall correctly, Wan talked about the Aquaman solo being about Arthur accepting his role as a reluctant king, so I think at this point he's not king yet and maybe not even that familiar with Atlantis, but just learning about this world and his role in it.

Considering that Arthur was raised a human (unless they change something for this version), I think he's more of a "man of the people" or "people's champion" type, and I think his back and forth with Bruce comes simply from two strong, aggressive-type alpha males meeting for the first time; that's always gonna create some sparks that could lead to a strong warrior's bond (as it seem apparent in the last scene in the trailer).

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote