The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #26
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - Part 14

I don't want Henry to leave or have the character rebooted but the situation isn't great for him right now. The best case scenario is the failure of JL knocks off several other DC films and WB refocuses on a solo Superman sequel. That's the glass half-fill approach.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #27
AverageMan
Fighting for Average men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendver2 View Post
Repost for new thread

Our MVP

Why, oh why couldn't the suit have looked like this? Instead of those horrific, airbrushed muscles?

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition 2. Superman: The Movie 3. Man of Steel 4. Superman II 5. Superman Returns 6. Superman III 7. Justice league 8. Superman IV - The Quest for Peace
Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #28
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

Because you gotta crank up dat saturation booooooiiiiiiiiiiiii.

DC Fans: "We need warriors.."

*SkullDevil raises his hand and fights for truth, justice and the PM way.*
Old 11-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #29
Legendver2
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMan View Post
Why, oh why couldn't the suit have looked like this? Instead of those horrific, airbrushed muscles?
Whedon.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #30
misslane38
Side-Kick

I do not want Vaughn to direct a Superman film. I've read many interviews with Vaughn, and combined with his frequent partnership with Mark Millar, there is nothing about his Superman and his style that is appealing to me in any way.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #31
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
I do not want Vaughn to direct a Superman film. I've read many interviews with Vaughn, and combined with his frequent partnership with Mark Millar, there is nothing about his Superman and his style that is appealing to me in any way.
I agree he needs to distance himself from Millar, nasty little man that he is.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #32
TheFuture
Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Audiences love him as Superman, especially now right after JL.
I don't think they do unfortunately, but it isn't his fault. He hasn't really been given a clear run at it in his last two appearances and because of this, the character still feels like a stranger/undercooked to the casual.

I keep saying it but poor Henry has been one of the biggest casualties of all this drama surrounding the franchise.

I have no problem with him staying in the role, but after JL it feels like the ship has sailed on making him happen.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #33
Zorex
I'm 100% 50/50

Quote:
Whedon.
Are you saying Whedon's responsible for the excessively exaggerated muscle highlights on the Superman suit? Because I'm pretty sure we saw the same, final suit, with overstated musculature, as far back as September 2016 (Make-A-Wish photo), well before the Whedon-helmed reshoots stage of the film.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #34
Legendver2
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
Are you saying Whedon's responsible for the excessively exaggerated muscle highlights on the Superman suit? Because I'm pretty sure we saw the same, final suit, with overstated musculature, as far back as September 2016 (Make-A-Wish photo), well before the Whedon-helmed reshoots stage of the film.
As many said before, it's gotta do with cinematography and lighting. This is essentially the same suit in BvS, but the lighting and cinematography in that film makes the suit look so much better. This isn't even about night time versus day time, as we see the suit outside the courthouse several times, and it looks nothing like it did in the JL post credits. Joss doesn't know how to light it well in broad daylight. It looks better in the Steppenwolf fight and the line up shot because it was probably under green screen and the lighting was darker.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #35
Zorex
I'm 100% 50/50

Quote:
As many said before, it's gotta do with cinematography and lighting. This is essentially the same suit in BvS, but the lighting and cinematography in that film makes the suit look so much better. This isn't even about night time versus day time, as we see the suit outside the courthouse several times, and it looks nothing like it did in the JL post credits. Joss doesn't know how to light it well in broad daylight. It looks better in the Steppenwolf fight and the line up shot because it was probably under green screen and the lighting was darker.
My point is, it was clear that they chose to emphasize the metallic highlight musculature even more in JL than they had in BvS, as evidenced in the Make-A-Wish visit photo. That predates Joss. So, yes, different directors photographing it differently will make it look different, but the choice to exaggerate the muscles to such a ridiculous degree was made by the people initially in charge.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #36
Reel-Man
Side-Kick

You guys forget that there is a metallic like finish to the piece under the blue layer. This piece is what has the muscle definition on it and naturally with direct light on it reflects way too much. The problem is they made that piece too metallic or the blue putter layer too see through.

I personally don't have an issue with it but just wanted to remind people why it's so visually obvious.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #37
Zorex
I'm 100% 50/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel-Man View Post
You guys forget that there is a metallic like finish to the piece under the blue layer. This piece is what has the muscle definition on it and naturally with direct light on it reflects way too much. The problem is they made that piece too metallic or the blue putter layer too see through.

I personally don't have an issue with it but just wanted to remind people why it's so visually obvious.
I am aware of this. But something changed from BvS to JL, perhaps the translucency of the blue mesh top layer (and/or the obvious increase in boldness of the blue), or how severely the metallic muscle suit underneath was sculpted with the intention of showing through more.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #38
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Quote:
My point is, it was clear that they chose to emphasize the metallic highlight musculature even more in JL than they had in BvS, as evidenced in the Make-A-Wish visit photo. That predates Joss. So, yes, different directors photographing it differently will make it look different, but the choice to exaggerate the muscles to such a ridiculous degree was made by the people initially in charge.
The suit was designed to look it's best under certain lighting, filter etc. Snyder and Wilkinson obviously made that work. Whedon (obviously) changed all that but forgot (or did not care) to make changes to the suit. Add the cottonmouth to it, and voila..we get Bizarro

Old 11-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #39
Legendver2
Phantom

Quote:

But under the right lighting, like the Alex Ross poster, the suit looks great. So it's probably a combination of both.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #40
Reel-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
I am aware of this. But something changed from BvS to JL, perhaps the translucency of the blue mesh top layer (and/or the obvious increase in boldness of the blue), or how severely the metallic muscle suit underneath was sculpted with the intention of showing through more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
The suit was designed to look it's best under certain lighting, filter etc. Snyder and Wilkinson obviously made that work. Whedon (obviously) changed all that but forgot (or did not care) to make changes to the suit. Add the cottonmouth to it, and voila..we get Bizarro
Don't forget, Fabian Wagner was unable to help the reshoots due to scheduling conflicts. That combined with the above mentioned, it makes sense why it looked different.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #41
matt47
Side-Kick

Quote:

There was for the mos suit but for the bvs/ jl suit they actually painted on the muscle definition onto the suit itself. Whuch gives it a more unatural look.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #42
DerekLake
Build a better world

Quote:
In the art book, Wilkinson says that they made the blue bolder but they also made the metallic muscle show through the suit so the outfit looks shinier.

http://imgbox.com/VJJxrhqK

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #43
Reel-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
There was for the mos suit but for the bvs/ jl suit they actually painted on the muscle definition onto the suit itself. Whuch gives it a more unatural look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLake View Post
In the art book, Wilkinson says that they made the blue bolder but they also made the metallic muscle show through the suit so the outfit looks shinier.

http://imgbox.com/VJJxrhqK
That's what I remembered seeing.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #44
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Seeing as how well Superman's return was received, I'm not seeing WB's reasons for keeping him out of the promo marketing for the past year.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #45
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
Seeing as how well Superman's return was received, I'm not seeing WB's reasons for keeping him out of the promo marketing for the past year.
Doomsday Mark II on their hands, if they had put him in.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #46
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

WB could have played to their strengths with their most iconic superhero.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #47
DerekLake
Build a better world

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
Doomsday Mark II on their hands, if they had put him in.
Quote:
WB could have played to their strengths with their most iconic superhero.
I could understand that argument if there had been something more to Superman's return. Perhaps if it was truly a surprise, a last minute turn of events. But in the truncated film they released? They wouldn't really have given much away had they at least featured him in all of their print marketing.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #48
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

I ultimately think killing him off in BvS was a mistake.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #49
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Some people have narrow views of Vaugh’s talents. Films like Kick-Ass and Kingsman aren’t all he can do. He’s also made film like Stardust and X-Men First Class. They show his versatility.

I also think by what some people say regarding Vaugh claiming he only does certain types of movies that they don’t look at those deeper. His strengths are in how he crafts his characters and the interactions. If film making was so narrow minded Richard Donner wouldn’t have jumped from the Omen to Superman the Movie or Tim Burton going from Pee Wees Big Adventure to Beetlejuice and then to Batman. Some people seenthe types of films and assume thats all a director can do. Sometimes it is the case or that some directors get comfortable. But Vaughn doesn’t fall into that category. Vaugh is versatile and his library shows that.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #50
misslane38
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Some people have narrow views of Vaugh’s talents. Films like Kick-Ass and Kingsman aren’t all he can do. He’s also made film like Stardust and X-Men First Class. They show his versatility.

I also think by what some people say regarding Vaugh claiming he only does certain types of movies that they don’t look at those deeper. His strengths are in how he crafts his characters and the interactions. If film making was so narrow minded Richard Donner wouldn’t have jumped from the Omen to Superman the Movie or Tim Burton going from Pee Wees Big Adventure to Beetlejuice and then to Batman. Some people seenthe types of films and assume thats all a director can do. Sometimes it is the case or that some directors get comfortable. But Vaughn doesn’t fall into that category. Vaugh is versatile and his library shows that.
BH/HHH, after Vaughn's name was bandied about as a prospective Superman director, I watched his entire body of work and read many interviews with the man. I do not believe he is the right man for the job. Not even a little. His style and his choices, including in films like X-Men: First Class, are not what I want to see in a Superman film. I think a lot of his ideas are stale and hackneyed. He does not write women or people of color well. His views on Superman, in particular, fall far short of the mark. I've never seen him say much on subject, frankly, beyond buzzwords like Donner, Reeve, hope, and optimism. My assessment of his as a director comes from broad knowledge of him rather than from ignorance. The more I knew of him, the less I liked him.

Closed Thread