Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Justice League Box Office Prediction - Part 5

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 12-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: Justice League Box Office Prediction - Part 6

Exactly. If Universal announces Dracula v Frankenstein: Dawn of Monsters tomorrow how many of you would actually be excited for that movie? How many members of the GA would be excited for that? Knowing characters is one thing, caring about them is another. That job is for the movies, tv shows and even comic books to do, to get the audience to care. But i doubt many people in the general public were like "oh SNAP, Aquaman and The Flash are finally gonna be together in a movie!"

And, not for nothing but pre-2008 Marvel was doing a REALLY good job of building up the public statuses of their lesser known characters in their comic books. I vividly remember several of their high profile comics like Civil War, The Ultimate comics, The Death of Captain America, World War Hulk etc were getting wide news media coverage and getting lots of buzz. So your average joe public was gradually becoming more acquainted with the names Captain America, Ironman and Hulk before the movies were even made.

1) AVENGERS: Infinity War 9/10 2) The BLACK PANTHER 9/10 3) Mission Impossible: Fallout 8.5/10 4) Pacific Rim: Uprising 5/10 :( 5) Ready Player One 8/10
Old 12-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
SomeOldGuy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Justice League Box Office Prediction - Part 7

Gitesh:

#JusticeLeague* will be losing 59% of its theaters this FRI as many new films gobble up screens for the long #Christmas* wknd. New count will be 1101 dropping below #ThorRagnarok* which will be in 1573 despite being an older film. Domestic totals now $220.9M and $307.6M.

Ouch. Insert “stop it’s already dead” gif here.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post
Gitesh:

#JusticeLeague* will be losing 59% of its theaters this FRI as many new films gobble up screens for the long #Christmas* wknd. New count will be 1101 dropping below #ThorRagnarok* which will be in 1573 despite being an older film. Domestic totals now $220.9M and $307.6M.

Oh my. That’s just... just pathetic.

Full reboot.

Now.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.5/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 7.5/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6/10, A Quiet Place - 8/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10, Mission Impossible: Fallout - 9/10
Old 12-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
GreenKToo
In the fire

ouch. Man, I have no idea what they should, or even could, do.

Do they continue as is? I don't see that working unless they get some big A list director onboard. Someone who would make the fans and public say, YESS!!!

The other option is years and years of waiting for another reboot.

It's not up to me of course, but if it were, i'd go out and get me a Ron Howard, JJ Abrams, Brad Bird, or Peter Jackson and say, Make me a Superman film, and I dare you to to make it/him dark, brooding, and unsure of himself.
Cavill stays also. No compromise there.
And bring in howard shore or JW to score it.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 12-20-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Gitesh:

A lot of movies had to step aside for The Last Jedi, which is screening on multiple IMAX/IMAX 3-D, standard 3-D, and 2-D screens.

I saw The Last Jedi last night. Justice League and Thor are down to one standard screen apiece.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
That job is for the movies, tv shows and even comic books to do, to get the audience to care. But i doubt many people in the general public were like "oh SNAP, Aquaman and The Flash are finally gonna be together in a movie!"
Like you've said, it's the studio's job to make people care for that interaction.

Icons aren't guaranteed money-makers, but they are wonderful primers, which if taken advantage of, does propel and boost any given IP more than it would from a fresh slate.

People wouldn’t automatically care for Justice League (especially with the stench of BvS so fresh), but you tap into that 2000s nostalgia which every 90s kid remembers, and every generation of comic book fan who’ve been reading JL their entire lives…suddenly those urges come almost from nowhere and hype triggers are at full pressure.

Why do you think the live-action Disney remakes are so successful? Despite the cartoons’ original successes in the 90s, no one in the modern day was really yearning for remakes of those classics. But, given enough time for those films to be old memories, the novelty of cutting-edge CGI, immaculate marketing, and most importantly solid filmmaking, that nostalgia came creeping back around. Cinderella peaked people’s interests, Jungle Book and BatB got everyone on board. Aladdin and Lion King are going to be box office behemoths off the strength of that audience they cultivated decades ago.

That’s what WB dropped the ball on. So many generations of fans who are innately ready for their heroes to come to life. And they fumbled spectacularly. It’s a special kind of failure to not drum up excitement for JUSTICE LEAGUE. Not in a world where less visible IPs (over the decades) are fully thriving.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Like you've said, it's the studio's job to make people care for that interaction.

Icons aren't guaranteed money-makers, but they are wonderful primers, which if taken advantage of, does propel and boost any given IP more than it would from a fresh slate.

People wouldn’t automatically care for Justice League (especially with the stench of BvS so fresh), but you tap into that 2000s nostalgia which every 90s kid remembers, and every generation of comic book fan who’ve been reading JL their entire lives…suddenly those urges come almost from nowhere and hype triggers are at full pressure.

Why do you think the live-action Disney remakes are so successful? Despite the cartoons’ original successes in the 90s, no one in the modern day was really yearning for remakes of those classics. But, given enough time for those films to be old memories, the novelty of cutting-edge CGI, immaculate marketing, and most importantly solid filmmaking, that nostalgia came creeping back around. Cinderella peaked people’s interests, Jungle Book and BatB got everyone on board. Aladdin and Lion King are going to be box office behemoths off the strength of that audience they cultivated decades ago.

That’s what WB dropped the ball on. So many generations of fans who are innately ready for their heroes to come to life. And they fumbled spectacularly. It’s a special kind of failure to not drum up excitement for JUSTICE LEAGUE. Not in a world where less visible IPs (over the decades) are fully thriving.
To me, it seems they don't give a damn about these characters, only the money they could bring in off them, which is ironic, because if they cared, it would show in the film making and the audience would reward that with their $$$.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Gitesh:

Feeling that kick to the balls, WB? I hope so.

- The Joker
Old 12-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
GreenKToo
In the fire

Any bets on what they do?
Continue on with a new director? or...
concentrate on solo's?
or wait years and reboot yet again?

This is WB, the most frustrating, make you pull your own hair out, doesn't understand their own characters, studio, so expect the unexpected.
( by unexpected, I mean they will probably do something like hiring snyder to make JL 2 lol. )
yes, I'm kidding, or am I ?

Old 12-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
concentrate on solo's?
Sadly, they won’t do the one thing I would love them to:

Sell DC to someone who gives a s***.

But they should at least reboot the entire thing to get the stink of this cinematic universe off the characters.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.5/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 7.5/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6/10, A Quiet Place - 8/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10, Mission Impossible: Fallout - 9/10
Old 12-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
JOE

I'd love for the Mouse to buy the rights, but they just unloaded their piggy bank on FOX. I don't care how much money a studio has, 52B hurts the wallet.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #14
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
I'd love for the Mouse to buy the rights, but they just unloaded their piggy bank on FOX. I don't care how much money a studio has, 52B hurts the wallet.
Hell, no.

And were WB to unload DC in some fantasy scenario, the comics line would come with it. Nobody's going to pay that much more for that. It would be a dizzying figure.

You guys need to have a little faith.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Agreed. The Disney live action films like Beauty and the Beast are a great example. The films have to be good, but the box office is not riding on the merit of the films alone, but on the combination of good quality and built-up attachment, nostalgia and the novelty of an updated version of a beloved classic.

If Justice League is ever done properly, we will understand how badly this whole thing was mismanaged. It's going to take a lot to recover, though, moreso than would be the case for a single bad movie.

I think the priority has to be salvaging the individual characters, some of whom don't need the extended universe to thrive. Once that has happened, and some lesser-known characters have been introduced properly in their own well-received movies, then crossover material can become a possibility again, but that can't be a priority for the moment.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #16
king666
Side-Kick

Quote:
concentrate on solo's?

This is WB, the most frustrating, make you pull your own hair out, doesn't understand their own characters, studio, so expect the unexpected.
( by unexpected, I mean they will probably do something like hiring snyder to make JL 2 lol. )
yes, I'm kidding, or am I ?
I think they'll go on with WW2; that movie is 100% safe. As for the rest of the DCEU, I think they will just wait until Aquaman is released; if it's well received they'll consider going on with the DCEU. If it's bad then they'll finish the WW trilogy and reboot the whole thing.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #17
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
Nope. Amazon. I’ll keep on saying it. A company with bottomless pockets that isn’t beholden to Hollywood bull****tery and the theatre chains. Streaming media is the future.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #18
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
Nope. Amazon. I’ll keep on saying it. A company with bottomless pockets that isn’t beholden to Hollywood bull****tery and the theatre chains. Streaming media is the future.
That.... would be amazing, actually.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #19
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
That.... would be amazing, actually.
It would. They could leverage far more of the DC catalogue, in far more innovative ways than they could on terrestrial TV. Also, they can easily fund multiple movies. People think Marvel being owned by Disney is a powerful combination, but Disney are dwarfed by Amazon’s spending power and size. Bezos is obsessed with disrupting existing hegemonies, and owning DC would send shockwaves throughout the whole entertainment industry.

I would sing and dance for days if Amazon bought out DC from under WB. To them it would be spending pocket change for an incredibly powerful intellectual property, and I’m convinced they’d secure the talent to do the job right.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #20
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
To me, it seems they don't give a damn about these characters, only the money they could bring in off them, which is ironic, because if they cared, it would show in the film making and the audience would reward that with their $$$.
Its almost ironic, isnt it? A decade ago Warner Bros seemed to have this almost stubborn attitude against exploring the DC Comics catalogue besides Batman and occasionally Superman. Who was the CEO during that time again? Fans were begging for something other than Batman and what did they come up with? Catwoman and Jonah Hex, both of which I'm literally convinced were elaborate pranks the powers at be were playing on comic book fans.

1) AVENGERS: Infinity War 9/10 2) The BLACK PANTHER 9/10 3) Mission Impossible: Fallout 8.5/10 4) Pacific Rim: Uprising 5/10 :( 5) Ready Player One 8/10
Old 12-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #21
Banned User

Cs Funny Re: Justice League Box Office Prediction - Part 7

Quote:
ouch. Man, I have no idea what they should, or even could, do.

Do they continue as is? I don't see that working unless they get some big A list director onboard. Someone who would make the fans and public say, YESS!!!

The other option is years and years of waiting for another reboot.

It's not up to me of course, but if it were, i'd go out and get me a Ron Howard, JJ Abrams, Brad Bird, or Peter Jackson and say, Make me a Superman film, and I dare you to to make it/him dark, brooding, and unsure of himself.
Cavill stays also. No compromise there.
And bring in howard shore or JW to score it.
Those directors suck.

Warner need the russo's

Offer them a truckload of money

Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #22
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
It would. They could leverage far more of the DC catalogue, in far more innovative ways than they could on terrestrial TV. Also, they can easily fund multiple movies. People think Marvel being owned by Disney is a powerful combination, but Disney are dwarfed by Amazon’s spending power and size. Bezos is obsessed with disrupting existing hegemonies, and owning DC would send shockwaves throughout the whole entertainment industry.

I would sing and dance for days if Amazon bought out DC from under WB. To them it would be spending pocket change for an incredibly powerful intellectual property, and I’m convinced they’d secure the talent to do the job right.
Can't say I'd be against this.

I have Amazon video and whilst I don't use it as much as Netflix, the likes of Bosch, Goliath and the man in the high castle have been sensational. Their are others on their as well that people rave about.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

That's a great idea. DC needs to unshackle themselves from WB. They don't deserve DC. If WB had any sense we could've gotten a cinematic universe before MCU.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #24
honestbharani
Side-Kick

But WB gets all the cool merchandise money and whatever the comic books make, both in traditional and digital formats as well as the TV/animation stuff. I dont think WB will part with DC at the moment, not when they are making enough money off other movies to make up for their failures with DC properties.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:52 AM   #25
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
But WB gets all the cool merchandise money and whatever the comic books make, both in traditional and digital formats as well as the TV/animation stuff. I dont think WB will part with DC at the moment, not when they are making enough money off other movies to make up for their failures with DC properties.
Lucas still sold Star Wars, even though it was a cash cow. Sometimes it not necessarily about the money, it’s about the commitment. If WB felt that it was too much hassle to continue flogging the dead horse of the DCEU, then they could decide to sell, even though other arms of the IP are profitable. And Amazon could offer waaaaaay more to WB than Disney paid for Marvel. If they wanted to rock up with a 10 billion offer, I can’t see WB turning that down.

Closed Thread