The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #151
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

Default Re: Batman: Gotham by Gaslight DC Animated movie

Greenwood is stunning.

Conroy gets too much flak these days for me. He's still the best and often lumbered with the more boring Batman projects, while they select other actors (such as Greenwood) for the more creatively challenging ones.

Conroy still knocks it out of the park for me, but he's always classic, stoic Batman or supporting player Batman with the cool lines. And after 25 years, that is bound to get a little old.

To be honest, if anyone suceeds him, I wouldn't mind it being Anthony Ruivivar (Beware the Batman).

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #152
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

Anthony Ruivivar was pretty good too. Anyone but Jason honestly.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #153
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Jason O'Mara sounds like he has a bit of a sore throat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
To be honest, if anyone suceeds him, I wouldn't mind it being Anthony Ruivivar (Beware the Batman).
That guy has his moments sounding as Conroy, and whether he does or doesn't sound similar he's still good.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #154
3rdstone
Original Manhunter

It actually turned out I hadn't read this story despite of what I thought, so apperently I had it mixed up with something else. Obviously I can't compare this to the original book, but I highly enjoyed it.

Greenwood was good as usual, and I think Jennifer Carpenter nailed it as Selina as well. I've understood that Mignola pencilled this, which of course sets the bars pretty high when adapted to animation. Still, I thought this worked although the style was more "cartoony".

The twist was unexpected and I can understand people having problems with that, but since this is one of all these Elseworlds stories I was fine with it.

Now I just need to read this story with all the Mignola goodness..

Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #155
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
The twist was unexpected and I can understand people having problems with that, but since this is one of all these Elseworlds stories I was fine with it.
Ditto. I never saw it coming and I liked it.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #156
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Greenwood is my favorite current Bat-voice. He may not be as good as Conroy was in his prime, but he's great.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 AM   #157
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
And while I'm at it, please let Jim Krieg write more animated movies. He understands DC.
I'll miss his work on Justice League Action. Shame that show got canned, but not really surprised either. My favorite work of his is on Green Lantern: The Animated Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Agreed. Greenwood, Ruivivar, and Troy Baker are my favorite non-Conroy Batmen.

GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #158
superhero
Side-Kick

is batman gotham by gaslight any good? it coast $16 bucks at amaozn!! last batman Anmited movie i bought was harley quinn / batman movie!! i really didn't liked it much!! i mostly brought it back cause kevin cory was coming back as the voice of bruce wayne/ batman!! but i didn't like the movie much! too me it was more harley quin movie then batman movie!! i also noticed it was more comedy, then batman aciton movie ! i wish i would have waited unitl it gotten cheaper!!

superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #159
Loki882
Side-Kick

^Yes, it's quite good.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #160
C Prometheus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Greenwood is my favorite current Bat-voice. He may not be as good as Conroy was in his prime, but he's great.
Yup. I love Greenwood's take on both Bruce and Batman.

Also, Jennifer Carpenter was superb as Selina. This might actually be a personal favorite take on the character for me. This was a really clever way to reimagine her in the context of the Victorian era.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #161
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, I watched all 8 seasons of Dexter and I still didn't even recognize Carpenter's voice. She did a great job as Selina.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #162
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
is batman gotham by gaslight any good? it coast $16 bucks at amaozn!! last batman Anmited movie i bought was harley quinn / batman movie!! i really didn't liked it much!! i mostly brought it back cause kevin cory was coming back as the voice of bruce wayne/ batman!! but i didn't like the movie much! too me it was more harley quin movie then batman movie!! i also noticed it was more comedy, then batman aciton movie ! i wish i would have waited unitl it gotten cheaper!!
Batman and Harley Quinn was pretty poor. Gotham by Gaslight is excellent. And Bruce Greenwood does a great job voicing Batman.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite

Last edited by Milk Tray Guy; 03-02-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #163
C Prometheus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Yeah, I watched all 8 seasons of Dexter and I still didn't even recognize Carpenter's voice. She did a great job as Selina.
Yeah, they all knocked it out of the park with Selina in this film. She's the big highlight of the movie for me, both from Carpenter's performance and just in how the director and writer(s) reinvented her for this story.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #164
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Finally got around to seeing this. Loved it. Greenwood knocks it out of the park again as Batman. Carpenter was sublime as Selina. I never even realized it was her until I saw the cast credits.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #165
The Batman
The Dark Knight

This is a really good DTV.

Bruce Greenwood once again proves that he's the best Batman VA of the 2010's.

This version of Selina is my favorite media version of the character in a long time. And as someone who often isn't a hugest Bat/Cat shipper, I really enjoyed the romance in this.

The only problem I have with this is that this version of Batman doesn't really seem like he's all that in terms of combat.

All in all, its up there with Under the Red Hood and Dark Knight Returns as one of the best Bat-related DC Original Animated films.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #166
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I finally got around to watching this. Hadn't read the comic, so I can't make comparisons there. I really enjoyed this one.

The opening murder was actually gruesome in terms of how they sold it.

The twist wasn't a surprise for me due to that blimp scene in the park. But, I was surprised who else was in on it.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman

Last edited by Lencho01; 03-26-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #167
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

I'd watch Gotham by Gaslight at the cinema. It's very good. Maybe some of the characters/suspects could do with a bit more substance, and the fight scenes go on a little too long. But it's atmospheric, dramatic and succeeds as both a whodunit and a Batman story.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #168
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Massively disappointed, other than the concept there was nothing barely resembling the great graphic novel. It felt like they just wanted to shoehorn in every Batman character they could. I saw the reveal coming a mile off too. Thought the end fight was pretty boring too.

Voice cast and animation were excellent though

Probably give it a 6/10

Last edited by BH/HHH; 07-08-2018 at 03:46 PM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote