The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #276
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Default Re: General Zod confirmed as the villain.

Yeah, Kingdom Come is what I got the idea from. I think the idea would be a great rebuttal to the whole "dark" craze with superheroes. And the themes of Superman's humanity VS his alien history could be built upon with Brainiac as the villain of the sequel.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #277
FCEEVIPER
Rubber bullets. Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Yeah! Zod again!? This will be... TWICE NOW!!! And it's only been like, 30 years since then!?
Rightttttt, and with Lex Luther in SR...everyone really loved that they brought him back again, and it's only been like, 30 years since then.

I just want to see something new we haven't seen in a Supes movie, Brainiac, DarkSeid, etc..

Thank you Nolan, Goyer & Jonathan
The Dark Knight Saga
2005 - 2008 - 2012
Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #278
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alientraveller View Post
True, but it was to show Batman had become the character we know: the Joker was symbolic of all the fights to come, be it in the comics, or on TV and film, as well as how Gotham was turning into a freakshow rather than a city of mobsters. The only thing similar I can think of is if the President called Supes to inform him NASA had detected evidence of more aliens coming to Earth (at which point Supes's presence marks the divergence of the real world to one of aliens, superheroes and New Gods).

We're actually brainstorming a pretty good movie!
I guess so.

Well the end of the Superman movie could be Superman telling Lois he's gotta go.
Lois asks what he hears.
He responds that he's picking up Nasa communications about an object headed towards Earth, that looks like a _____ ( insert some fanboy description of Brainiac's ship) so he's gonna go check it out.
He flies with, cue Superman overture, we're left with a closed ending to that movie.

But problem with that is: it won't be impactful for the audiences that only watch that movie, you would have to know what Brainiac's ship looks like to get it.
Which is why I suggested showing the symbols in flashbacks, then showing them at the end... the allusions stays self contained within the movie.

Comment + Subscribe! Your support is appreciated! :D
Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #279
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Actually it was closer to 20 years. Anyway, when you really think about it, they don't reuse the same villains over and over in the Superman movies. Superman II had Zod, III had Ross Webster, who in a sense was a precursor to Lexcorp Lex, and Superman IV had Lex creating Nuclear Man. Really, a movie involving guys like Metallo or Bizarro would probably involve a similar scenario, with Lex creating what's basically a superpowered thug.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #280
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

I have to say if this is true I will be very surprised, and a little dissapointed, I thought they were trying to get from what many thought was a mistake in SR of paying too much homage to the Reeve Superman movies, ever since the re-boot was announced we have been told this will be a very different beast than anything we have seen before, so why not show us something we havent seen before in a Supes movie?

Doesnt make sense to me, but Zod can be an awesome villain, loved in For Tomorrow for example.

1)A Quiet Place-9(2)Black Panther-9(3)The Shape of Water-8.5(4)Ready Player One-8(5)Tomb Raider-7(6)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #281
Project862006
Banned User

Brainiac might be too cheesy of a name to use him for the general audiences

Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #282
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

^I dont see how its any cheesier than Green Goblin, Iron Monger, Megatron and Dr Doom, and all of those didnt put anyone off.

1)A Quiet Place-9(2)Black Panther-9(3)The Shape of Water-8.5(4)Ready Player One-8(5)Tomb Raider-7(6)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #283
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I could certainly see Lex Luthor trying to set himself up as a "champion of humanity" against the evil Kryptonian invader Zod, and trying to turn people against Superman in the process.
I agree. It should be done like in Superman: Birthright except with an actual Kryptonian threat as was already mentioned.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #284
Spidey-Quad
Side-Kick

I want to see epic feats of Superman performing his abilities on the silver screen. Not some cheap homage to special effects 33 years ago.

Do this and I don't care who the villain is.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #285
BH/HHH
You Are My World

I would have preferred Brainiac (I suppose this doesnt mean he isnt in it) but General Zod is fine by me.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #286
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

Yeah, I got to thinking last night... a villain we hadn't seen before would've been nice, but all I really want right now are epic battles and a real physical threat Superman has to rise up against.

One thing I've wondered though, is how Zod can use his powers to the extent that Superman can. He had years growing up to get used to and master his powers, and Zod lands on earth and he's just as powerful?

Punisher: "I don't give a s*** who you are."

Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #287
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

My thoughts on General Zod...

I really really hope this isn't true...

1. If General Zod is the main villain, then Lex Luthor won't have much of a role. And I was really really hoping that it'd be more of an Intergang+Lex Luthor world of villains.

2. I was also really hoping, that they wouldn't focus the whole movie on the kryptonian heritage. But if you include Zod, then it's just obvious that the whole Zod on krypton backstory is going to be included, and Jor-el is going to be a main focus.

3. He's not at all the best villain, or the most exciting in any aspect. He's not the most psychologically threatening, he's not the most physically threatening etc etc.

4. It's been done before. That to me, is a massive downside and will make it hard for the audience to see this Superman in a different light.

5. It's not what any of the fans wanted. I've not seen a single person post that they hope the new superman movie is about superman vs Zod... because the idea sucks!

Can anyone tell me some positives, cause i'm really struggling here

Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #288
BH/HHH
You Are My World

I must admit I would love to see a proper fight between Zod and Superman cause of course they didnt have the resources & fx to do an unbelievable fight back in the late 70s/ early 80s. Wonder who will play Zod?!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #289
Blitzkrieg Bop
Fight Owens Fight

I don't have any doubts that Butler would play Zod.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #290
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
My thoughts on General Zod...

I really really hope this isn't true...

1. If General Zod is the main villain, then Lex Luthor won't have much of a role. And I was really really hoping that it'd be more of an Intergang+Lex Luthor world of villains.
Where does that assumption come from?

Quote:
2. I was also really hoping, that they wouldn't focus the whole movie on the kryptonian heritage. But if you include Zod, then it's just obvious that the whole Zod on krypton backstory is going to be included, and Jor-el is going to be a main focus.
Hopefully you'll be disappointed. And I'm saying that becaise I really want a lot of Kryptonian mythos this time around.

Quote:
3. He's not at all the best villain, or the most exciting in any aspect. He's not the most psychologically threatening, he's not the most physically threatening etc etc.
He serves as an antagonist that has the heritage of Krypton behind him, in a different way than Superman. This trait alone has merits. Just because they weren't explored in SII doesn't mean they're not there. Season 9 of Smallville covered them pretty well actually... for what that series is.

Quote:
4. It's been done before. That to me, is a massive downside and will make it hard for the audience to see this Superman in a different light.
So was Joker, in a movie more critically acclaimed than SII.

Quote:
5. It's not what any of the fans wanted. I've not seen a single person post that they hope the new superman movie is about superman vs Zod... because the idea sucks!
Screw the fans. We're full of (impossibly high) double-standards and we are hypocrites who want movies close to the source material (but not too close! Hear that, Snyder?) which itself is too diverse to provide us with a definitive portrayal of our favorite heroes.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #291
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Can anyone tell me some positives, cause i'm really struggling here
That you're making assumptions and can in no way actually justify any of those worries. A frame hasn't been filmed, there isn't a single actor cast, the Director was announced less than 24 hours ago, the villain isn't confirmed, and the script isn't even finalized. Judging by your name you're a bit of a negative-Nancy, but really, just wait.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #292
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
He'd be a good choice I think

Old 10-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #293
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
He'd be a good choice I think
At least we know he would give a good "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!"

And I'm sure after the trailer people will splice it with scenes from 300.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #294
Project862006
Banned User

do you guys hate this character this much

Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #295
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I'd be down for that. That would pretty much guarantee a man's man for Superman too.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #296
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Where does that assumption come from?
From the words 'main villain'... kinda makes you assume Luthor will take a back seat.

Quote:
Hopefully you'll be disappointed. And I'm saying that becaise I really want a lot of Kryptonian mythos this time around
Why? Because there wasn't any in the last lot of movies? The last thing I want is for them to ignore the fact he's from Krypton, but I also don't want them to ignore the fact he was raised as a human... and a lot of the time people treat Superman as an alien jesus, which i'm sick of.

IMO the kyptonian mythos is the least interesting aspect of the Superman story. I'd rather they looked at who he is, over where he comes from.

Quote:
He serves as an antagonist that has the heritage of Krypton behind him, in a different way than Superman. This trait alone has merits. Just because they weren't explored in SII doesn't mean they're not there. Season 9 of Smallville covered them pretty well actually... for what that series is.
Brainiac would serve as that ALOT better IMO.

Quote:
So was Joker, in a movie more critically acclaimed than SII.
Joker wasn't in Batman Begins.

People saw a movie that showed Batman in a different light, and had villains no one had seen before on the big screen. THEN they brought in a new interpretation of a villain everyone knew, and people were ready for it to be different.

Quote:
Screw the fans. We're full of (impossibly high) double-standards and we are hypocrites who want movies close to the source material (but not too close! Hear that, Snyder?) which itself is too diverse to provide us with a definitive portrayal of our favorite heroes.
I wouldn't be a Smallville fan if i was too obsessed with the source material. What I am obsessed with is, them showing the aspects of the characters that I love, and focusing on what i find to be the best parts of the legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
That you're making assumptions and can in no way actually justify any of those worries. A frame hasn't been filmed, there isn't a single actor cast, the Director was announced less than 24 hours ago, the villain isn't confirmed, and the script isn't even finalized. Judging by your name you're a bit of a negative-Nancy, but really, just wait.
Wow. What a rude and unneccesarily personal thing to say to me.

For your information (and I find most negative people assume that my name is in some way depressing), a hopeful suicide is in no way negative. It's a sacrifice.

I'll give you an example from a film you may know - Superman Returns. He went back to that kryptonite island and used every last bit of strength he had to hurl the thing out of earth's atmosphere, knowing it might kill him.

I know it's a flawed idea, but it's still a good example of how I understand my own name.

Not that you should be judging any poster by their name...

Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #297
thorstone
Side-Kick

Zod, Luthor, and Brainiac all suck as villains. Why can't Superman get some real alien villains for once in a film?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #298
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Zod, Luthor, and Brainiac all suck as villains. Why can't Superman get some real alien villains for once in a film?
Huh? Not read any comics lately?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #299
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

Quote:
I'm sorry, are Zod and Brainiac human?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #300
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

Quote:
I'd choose those over some made up for the movie villain anyday.

Closed Thread