The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Iron Fist

Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

Default Season 1, Episode 3 "Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Episode 3: Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch

Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 3 "Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Danny's father really saved him.

The whole hire young and pay them double instilling loyalty.

Hogarth stayed loyal for 15 years

Leo Zelinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 3 "Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

That was a really underwhelming fight scene. Too many takes. Better than episode 2 which was a painful hour of TV.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Speed Force
Shazam!

Already liking Hogarth in this more than in Jessica Jones

Speed Force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
Slick
Yup

Yeah I think it's because she maybe cares for Danny and his family. She respected his father.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Yeah, Carrie-Anne Moss is really good. Hogarth might also be better person now. She was actually pretty horrible in JJ, but at the end of that show she seemed to rethink her life choices.

AlluAllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Mister J
The Universe's Imbalance
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm liking Colleen's screen time more than anything else.

Daddy Meachum's scenes (particularly with Meachum Jr.) are reminding me of the Osborn dynamic in Amazing Spider-Man 2. I could do without.

Decent fight scenes overall, but how does that one guy get the drop on Danny?

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there is always madness. Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away forever.
Mister J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
legendkillin
Side-Kick

I liked the Jessica Jones connection.

I thought the episode was okay, I actually liked episode 2 more but I liked this one more than ep1.

legendkillin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
legendkillin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlluAllu View Post
Yeah, Carrie-Anne Moss is really good. Hogarth might also be better person now. She was actually pretty horrible in JJ, but at the end of that show she seemed to rethink her life choices.
Well her woman got Kilgraved in front of her so yeah. She became more open minded.

legendkillin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
Pokkle
Side-Kick

I'm liking it so far.
I really like Danny so far, Colleen is cool too.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It seems that Harold is kept hostage by Madama Gao and the Hand, forced to do their bidding.
And nice to see Hogarth

Last edited by Pokkle; 03-17-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Pokkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #11
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I keep liking it, so far. This episode was certainly a bit slower, and I think it's showing the good idea of having Colleen as one of the main characters because the underground MMA fight scene was great. Danny's plot is slower paced, so having her kick ass to fill the void is smart. I liked that it wasn't an easy fight, as well. I'm sure some people will be bothered, but I think it's helping the subplot that Danny alluded to that she has more potential, for as badass as she is.

I think this episode is an example of how a good storyteller could overdo it a little. You want to make things clear for people, and one of those things is clearly how the Meechum's are basically going to war with Danny over his birthright. It was important, though, to see Joy had a united front with Ward. Outright telling Danny that he's not wanted there, and that he's not family. Hogarth, as always, is awesome.

I think they laid it a little thick, the Meechum's trying to bury Danny's chance at taking his place in the company. But, it did lead to that great scene with Hogarth and them in the boardroom. It was a still a good episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Zelinsky View Post
Danny's father really saved him.

The whole hire young and pay them double instilling loyalty.

Hogarth stayed loyal for 15 years

Wow, yeah. That's right. Good point. Meechum said he got that from Rand. And it ****ing paid off, because she saved his ass.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #12
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

Hogarth is great.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Normally, I make it four episodes before calling it a night. This night I made three. I'm not sure that's a commentary on the quality so much as just being tired (also, Midori is ridiculously sweet). Colleen Wing is the highlight of this episode. Her fight in the beginning, why she runs the dojo, and the scenes with street fighting are all highlights. The show needs her to be a good character and I think we're seeing her come into her own.

It's also good to see Hoggarth and to finally get all this identity thing over with. It's fascinating how you would prove identity, but it's not exactly compelling television. I do like that we see some of Hoggarth's human side with her maintaining the gravestones.

Three and a Half here. I might just have been too tired.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #14
Elayis
Side-Kick

Nice to finally get some answers regarding Harold faking his death. Tying it in with the Hand is a nice bit of continuity. And I’m glad they’re starting to give the characters some depth. Jerry’s getting some layers to him which is good, I was getting tired of his almost cartoonish evilness. The actor’s actually got some skill, too; couldn’t tell before from the material he was given. And while Joy keeps protesting about what they’re doing to Danny, it seems as if she loves the lifestyle and the power too much to stop. Glad to see some friction there, that she’s not 100% on Danny’s side.

It was a nice touch to bring in Carrie-Anne Moss. It’s the first time I’ve actually liked her character and felt like she was well written. I feel like she should’ve brought some co-chairs to the meeting, though.

Not sure about Colleen fighting for money. It seems as if she did it to pay bills, but it feels like too much of a turnabout from what she said earlier without any hesitation or inner conflict. Hopefully that’s addressed later.

Still some problems, though. The meet-cute in the file room was a little silly, and the editing during the fight was obnoxious. Far too many quick cuts than necessary. As others have said, a martial arts show like this should’ve had long, steady takes so you could appreciate the choreography and the skill of the performers. Doing it with quick cuts and shaky cam is just lazy.

And Danny’s unsubtle (and frankly ridiculous) eavesdropping and tailing of Jerry was just dumb. As was his scaling up the side of the building. Guess I’ll find out next episode if he actually say Harold and who pushed him.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman

Last edited by Elayis; 03-18-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
Sundancer
Cynicist

Okay, one thing I'm lost on

Danny's finger prints. I now they were going to use the bowl and pull a print off it. Didn't' they say in prev. episode that he never had fingerprints taken? What were they going to match it against? If fingerprints were on file why didn't he prove his identity beforehand that way

Last edited by Sundancer; 03-18-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #16
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

They can compare the fingerprint baked into the clay to his current fingerprints. The one in the clay clearly belonged to a child so they knew it wasn't a recent fabrication.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #17
Elayis
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Okay, one thing I'm lost on

Danny's finger prints. I now they were going to use the bowl and pull a print off it. Didn't' see say in prev. episode that he never hand fingerprints taken? What were they going to match it against? If fingerprints were on file why didn't he prove his identity beforehand that way
He left a fingerprint in the clay as a child when he made it, which they can compare to his adult fingerprint.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #18
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

I found that kind of weaksauce. The defense could easily explain that they hired an expert sculptor to forge the fingerprint...and they should have actually brought that up in the show, only for Hogarth to tell them that they've already taken a sample of the clay and scientific analysis dates the creation of the bowl to (insert appropriate year). That would've made it irrefutable (at least for tv).

This series has been a drag. But hey at least the cage fight was decent (not great). Then again any competently shot and choreographed fight would look golden compared to what's been shown in this show so far.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #19
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

That would be a damn good sculptor, especially when Joy concedes in deposition that it was her bowl.

I think this might be a spoiler for future episodes, but episode four at the latest (it might be this episode, it's hard to keep straight):

Besides, it's not like they instantly cave right then and there. They cave because Harold tells them to. The bowl was just ammunition for Hogarth and Danny.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

It was weird seeing Hogarth being nicer.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #21
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Dojo fight early in the episode reminds me of an unpopular funny scene from a certain movie based on a certain Marvel character. wink wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
It was weird seeing Hogarth being nicer.
After her role in Jessica Jones I agree, what's shown here is more inline with her male comic counterpart though.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #22
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I don't know, she still definitely had an edge. She was morally upright, but I think "nice" is stretching it. She came off, to me, as a wolf: loyal, honorable, and totally willing and ready to tear someone's throat out if called for.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:13 AM   #23
ComicChick
Mmmm... Pizza
SHH! Global Moderator

just finished this one. I liked Hogarth here, and I also like that since she's since so much stuff in JJ, that when Danny easily answered her questions about proving who he was, she realized it was him, accepted it, and moved on. It pretty much took 2 episodes plus for the others to get on board with it, and they knew him much better and much longer lol.

the M&Ms thing (or was that in ep 2? i watched them back to back so I forget) was a funny touch to me because as a kid, I would only eat the yellow peanut M&Ms and always shared the others.

Colleen's my favorite so far. The underground fight club concerns me. She told the one boy that to fight for money is to do so without honor, but was she there because she was concerned for him and caught up in the moment, or was she there with the intent to get in the ring and make money? i dont really think it was the second option. i probably should've paid a little more attention. i like that she didn't easily win the fight though. it made it more believable to me.
i was also nice to see her use her size and speed to her advantage. i get so tired of hearing people say that small women can't defend themselves or hold their own in a fight, and she clearly did (as does most of the marvel women)

i should note i know nothing about Iron First going into the show, but did Daddy Meachum actually die and has been resurrected? is that why he has to lay low? it's been 15 years and it looks like he hasn't aged a bit. Joy thinks him did, but Ward sees him regularly so I dunno.

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #24
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Just started watching this one. Liking it so far. Better than JJ in my opinion, as this is a little more light-hearted rather than the continuous doom/gloom of JJ. I was unsure of Danny and if I would like him, but I am, so that's good. Also liking Colleen and Joy, though it was stupid of her to join that fight club, especially after telling her student not to.
If she needs money, Danny offered to pay for his board while he was there. That would have been a lot better than dishonoring herself, using her own words.

Also liked Carrie Ann-Moss better in this than in JJ. since I'm not watching JJ I'll have to get the cheat notes from wiki.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #25
Iceman
Infinity War!

I really liked Hogarth in this.