The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Iron Fist

Old 03-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Kane52630
Astral Plane User

Default Season 1, Episode 5 "Under Leaf Pluck Lotus" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Episode 5: Under Leaf Pluck Lotus

Old 03-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 5 "Under Leaf Pluck Lotus" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Okay, I paused the episode just to comment on this: imo Colleen is the most beautiful woman in MCU.

AlluAllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
legendkillin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlluAllu View Post
Okay, I paused the episode just to comment on this: imo Colleen is the most beautiful woman in MCU.
She ranks up there but I love me some Wanda and Melinda May.

legendkillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
legendkillin
Side-Kick

Damn Daniel kicking ass in his white shoes.

legendkillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I'm liking the fact that the plot is finally progressing.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The plot is definitely something that's built directly from Daredevil, but it fits the themes of the show so far. I also like that they can still explore the class issues. That part of the show is a clear goal and I think it's working well after the slow start (and it works because of the groundwork laid). Heroin in particular fits the themes since you see Ward taking pills while the hobo in the first episode was injecting himself. But Heroin is a drug that affects everyone and they use that well.

The cancer cluster, while a stereotyped plot, continues the themes. The fact that Harold died of cancer fits on an emotional level. I also think that Danny's nievety that was set up works great when his takeout is catering, particularly in Colleen's dojo. The fact that he's used his wealth already to bully people around (disregarding Colleen's wishes by buying her property and becoming her landlord) shows how wealth and the ability to use it affects people. Speaking of Colleen, I like that she clearly knows how to use weapons better than Danny. People are focused on Danny being better at punching things, but she gets in her own.

Finally, I like Claire. I think the inevitable "I know a nurse" thing hasn't gotten old. I also love that she's already on the same page - her reaction to hearing The Hand instantly made her part of the group for this. I'll reiterate my complaints about Madame Gao. I don't think it fits what was set up. But I do think it simplifies things.

Four and a Half Stars.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Were we supposed to see Madame Gao as some sort of reveal?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Were we supposed to see Madame Gao as some sort of reveal?
dependening on the 'we', maybe.
the GA who doesn't follow the MCU religously might see this as surprise, seeing a random character from DD again

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I liked seeing Claire!

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
dependening on the 'we', maybe.
the GA who doesn't follow the MCU religously might see this as surprise, seeing a random character from DD again
Eh, I don't know. I mean, it was a big enough part of DD and "The Hand" was mentioned plenty enough on this show. So, it's not like it can be easily forgotten.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

OTOH, "revealing" her as part of the Hand is. . . weird, and not really believable. It just doesn't fit with what we've seen in Daredevil.

And nothing from later in the season really changes this.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlluAllu View Post
She is beautiful, but I was thinking that she seems maybe a little too cute and pretty to be Colleen Wing. She's almost like a girl you might take home to your parents, or someone's kid sister. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but she's quite different to the image of Colleen that has been drawn in the comics who seems much colder and looks tougher.

Now at the end of the episode,

why did they do this dramatic reveal of Madame Gao, when we all already knew it was her several episodes ago from her voice, and could even tell here it was her both from her voice and general silhouette and stature? It's not like it was a surprise at all.

Nice to see Claire Temple here. I didn't know she was taking self defence classes though. Have they mentioned that ever before in one of the other series?

Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #12
jignat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
She is beautiful, but I was thinking that she seems maybe a little too cute and pretty to be Colleen Wing. She's almost like a girl you might take home to your parents, or someone's kid sister. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but she's quite different to the image of Colleen that has been drawn in the comics who seems much colder and looks tougher.

Now at the end of the episode,

why did they do this dramatic reveal of Madame Gao, when we all already knew it was her several episodes ago from her voice, and could even tell here it was her both from her voice and general silhouette and stature? It's not like it was a surprise at all.

Nice to see Claire Temple here. I didn't know she was taking self defence classes though. Have they mentioned that ever before in one of the other series?

In one of the Luke Cage episodes, she tore off a paper ad for Colleens dojo. A really quick scene

jignat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #13
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

This was an interesting episode.
I am as confused as anyone who saw this episode as to why Gao is part of the Hand.

YOUTUBE
It will come, be sure of that

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Yeah, that felt like bad writing. Hell, the subtitles in episodes before this didn't bother hiding Madame Gao's identity.

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignat View Post
In one of the Luke Cage episodes, she tore off a paper ad for Colleens dojo. A really quick scene
It was in the last episode of Luke Cage.

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #16
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
This was an interesting episode.
I am as confused as anyone who saw this episode as to why Gao is part of the Hand.
I am 100% convinced that was never the original plan. It was something Scott Buck threw together at the last minute, unthinkingly.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #17
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I am 100% convinced that was never the original plan. It was something Scott Buck threw together at the last minute, unthinkingly.
I had a feeling that they always knew they wanted Gao as the villain Since Daredevil season 1, so that was locked in, but then when Iron Fist was starting they felt they needed to setup The Hand for The Defenders so decided to retcon her as a leader.

After watching Defenders a part of me likes it, The Hand have so much control in the city that Fisk had unknowingly had 2 of the 5 members in his enterprise be from the Hand. My headcanon is that Fisk invite Gao to supply the product, but the hand knew they had to secure the city block from him so sent Nobu to muscle his way in. With Nobu acting in strength and Gao acting in secret they could better manipulate Fisk.

Still, I wish Gao wasn't a member of the Hand. I'd rather they have here as another player who at times is against the Hand. Making Iron Fist a four way power struggle between Bokuto, Gao, Harold Meecham, and Iron Fist. With Iron Fist and Gao coming on top setting up for future seasons.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
Iceman
Infinity War!

Good to see Rosario Dawson here. Love seeing all these characters showing up all over the place.