The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Iron Fist

Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
Kane52630
New Cydonian User

Default Season 1, Episode 2 "Shadow Hawk Takes Flight" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Episode 2: Shadow Hawk Takes Flight

Old 03-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 2 "Shadow Hawk Takes Flight" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Where did you go?

Leo Zelinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

This was a lot better than the first one. The "fight scene" in the padded cell, as short as it was, did look good. And I also got the answer to where Iron Fist fit in in the war between the Hand and the Chaste. It's super obvious that it's gonna lead up to a war against the Hand in Defenders.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
legendkillin
Side-Kick

This episode was better, they showed some character development. Some scenes still could have been cut short, but it was an improvement.

7.5/10 for me.

legendkillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Episode 1 was a good intro. This was just bad.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

After two episodes, I'm enjoying this much more than I anticipated after the reviews. I'm interested in Danny and Colleen and Joy. Villains are surprisingly enjoyable too. The son is wonderfully asshatty and the father has something that I find intriquing.

Danny is naive and did several stupid things, but I find his personality refreshing when compared to other Defenders. Should lead to some cool dynamics.

AlluAllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
Speed Force
There was an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlluAllu View Post
After two episodes, I'm enjoying this much more than I anticipated after the reviews. I'm interested in Danny and Colleen and Joy. Villains are surprisingly enjoyable too. The son is wonderfully asshatty and the father has something that I find intriquing.

Danny is naive and did several stupid things, but I find his personality refreshing when compared to other Defenders. Should lead to some cool dynamics.
This!
Danny's such a kid

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
Mister J
The Universe's Imbalance
SHH! Global Moderator

Such a kid, indeed. Talks entirely too much. I get being away, not being cynical and that all, but cripes, does he not know how bat**** insane he sounds?

Enjoying the portrayal though.

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there is always madness. Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away forever.
Mister J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I like how Danny fights. It's a lot like Bruce Lee in that he knocks folks out in 1-2 punches. It's not like Daredevil who has to keep wailing on them.

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I really enjoyed this episode, too. I came in thinking I was going to have to let this show grow on me, after the reviews. Maybe hunker down and hate the first few to get to later stuff? I've only seen the first two, but I've really liked them.

I wonder how much some of the hate on Jones is about Danny himself? I need to watch more to decide that, but I think Jones has been good so far. The scenes where he's talking about the plane crash are good because I think he shows his range there. He's naive, and sometimes he might as well be from another planet. But, I like it. There's a kind of purity in him that's interesting. I look forward to seeing how he develops. Colleen is awesome. The Meechum's are interesting. I sometimes even feel bad for Ward. Pretty sure we saw him taking something, so he's probably nursing a drug habit as well.

There were some great moments, too. I enjoyed seeing how Danny had convinced the doctor, only to then immediately sink himself by saying he had passed through an inter-dimensional portal. I'm sure there are some people who are going to hate having a character that innocent who can say something like that in an Asylum and not realize how insane it sounds. But, I liked it. And the ending, where the Iron Fist is awaken when he catches a beating. The way it was setup, when Danny said he learned that it was only in the heat of combat when he took hits that he would awaken in battle. And then, he smiles while catching a beatdown! I like how in the first two episodes, Danny quickly dispatches of low level enemies, as well. These guys aren't trained anywhere near his level, and it shows, because he's taking dudes down in one or two moves, with so little effort. I'm reminded of the energy that Daredevil expends, even in the pilot episode, for some reason, and think about how little energy Danny has used to dispatch anyone. He took down the guy coming for not "apologizing" so fast, I'm not sure the camera even caught it. The only reason it took anything out of him in that padded cell was because of how pumped full of drugs he was. I really ****ing loved the end, where he's running down the hall with his glowing fist, and just punches the **** out of that heavy door.

I was going to binge watch this, even with the negative reviews. But, I've really enjoyed what I've seen much more than I expected. I guess I'll see if the show gets worse?

Last edited by ChrisBaleBatman; 03-17-2017 at 02:15 PM.
ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I watched this and the first episode back to back and I'm enjoying it this far. It's slow, but I don't think that's an issue with a show that you get the entire season of right away. Overall it's pretty much what I expected from this show based on the concept (not the reviews, which I haven't read).

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

I've always enjoyed Danny's general upbeat and happy-go-lucky qualities, but he's just coming across dumb as bricks here to me. I also don't think Jones is much of an actor (and no, I'm not one of those who has a problem with his race), so he's not really making it endearing to me.

That said, I'm enjoying the show more than I was expecting from reviews.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Sadly I feel this episode was pure filler.

UltimatePyro9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #14
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I found the asylum stuff dumb because it's silly that the public is well aware about all the general craziness that's going on now, and people still believe the crazy stuff isn't real? It just sort of dragged to see Danny wallowing in an insane asylum when you want to get to the good stuff already.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #15
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I found the asylum stuff dumb because it's silly that the public is well aware about all the general craziness that's going on now, and people still believe the crazy stuff isn't real? It just sort of dragged to see Danny wallowing in an insane asylum when you want to get to the good stuff already.
I get you. This is a world with Asgardian gods, green rage monsters with massive strength, 90 year old super soldiers, iron men, AI, witches, alien armies, a guy with a flaming head who drives a flaming car, inhumans, bullet proof brothas, dudes who can shrink to ant size and grow insanely as well (I won't even mention the good Doctor since he's not public knowledge yet). So I'm with you there.

3. STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
4. WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
5. LOGAN
The Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #16
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I mean Ultron is publicly known. Vision is publicly known. The public knows that one of the Avengers is technically an alien from another planet. A portal opened up in the sky and aliens attacked New York. A killer robot almost ended the world.

A secret organization of Nazis almost annihilated half the country. You can't just respond to everything with..."are you serious?" "That sounds ridiculous?" anymore.

- CM Punk
Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #17
Keyser Sushi
Squirrel Baffle

Not to mention that I really don't understand what's so far-fetched about missing-and-presumed-dead guy shows up alive years later. We watched Bruce Wayne do it in Batman Begins, we watched Oliver Queen do it in Arrow, but Marvel wants us to think people wouldn't accept this, in OUR world, let alone theirs?

I don't hate the show but I can't say it's a good start when I want to hit every one of the characters in the head with a framing hammer.

BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is one of the greatest comic book movies ever made.

avatar by JokerGrayson (thanks to Mr. Socko)

Last edited by Keyser Sushi; 03-18-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Keyser Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:09 AM   #18
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

I think that they subtly adressed that when the doc mentioned that superpowers became a popular delusion after the incident. Meaning that if someone claims to have supernatural experiences, it's still probable that they actually haven't.

AlluAllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #19
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Shoot, I thought I posted this last night:

I like that he's exploring the dregs of society. First it was the homeless, now it's psychiatric hospitals. I like his talking about the plane crash. Anyone who thinks Finn Jones isn't a good actor is wrong. I like that the doctor finally believed him, followed by Joy believing him. It's just good to see progress on this whole thing. But I still like that his talk about being the Iron Fist seems crazy to everyone. Finally, I like Harold Meechum, even if I don't like that he faked his own death or that he isn't dying of cancer.

Overall, much improved from the first episode. Four Stars.

Quote:
I agree and disagree:

Yes, an interdimensional portal isn't completely out of the realm of possibility anymore. If Danny had been around for the incident, he might have been able to say "a portal is where the Chiutari came from." But he wasn't and has no response besides being ernest.

That being said, while it proves crazy things are possible, it doesn't separate the sane from the crazy and I'd have to imagine a doctor in New York is going to see one thousand times more crazy people influenced by the Incident than a person with something sane. On top of that, Stephen Strange was aware of the Avengers, Loki, and Ultron and had trouble accepting the Ancient One. Sadly, aliens are easier to believe than magic and channeling my Chi to form the Iron Fist does sound like something a crazy person would say.

To me, this is a good way to let the show keep to its grounded goals without abandoning the comics source material. I was worried K'un Lun would just be a monastery in the Himalayas with no interdimensional portals or anything. Instead, Finn Jones can say everything accurately to the comics (or mostly accurate) in his nieve, ernest tone and it fits in the world they're trying to show.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #20
Elayis
Side-Kick

Not a fan of gaslight episodes, but the payoff at the end just about makes it worth it. Emotionally, seeing Danny realize his power in the way he did was so satisfying; just wish the shrink had gotten to see it. I can finally say I’m starting to enjoy the show and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

The glowing effect was great, too. The way the light revealed the bones and veins in his hand was striking; much better than a similar effect that was done on Doctor Who.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman

Last edited by Elayis; 03-18-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #21
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
There is a spoken explanation for it.
The doctor says that ever since the incident there's been a huge upswing in people that think they have superpowers, even though they don't. Therefor it makes sense to err on the side of crazy when someone says "I have superpowers, but I can't show them to you. Please stop drugging me like all the other crazy people want."

If anything I was glad that the doctor actually started to believe things he was saying were true and checked it out, instead of the trope in movies where the doctor is 100% the protagonist is just crazy.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #22
Verick808
Side-Kick

Enjoying the series so far. I could see why Danny might come off as unlikable to anyone who doesn't know the character though. They haven't really explained why he doesn't understand society norms. Also I feel that even though he doesn't know a lot about society he should atleast know his upbringing was outside the norm. He aeems to think being trained by warrior monks is no big deal.
Some pacing issues but every single Netflix Marvel show has had that issue imo. I expect it by now. DD s1 dragged a lot through out some parts. DDs2 dragged after Punisher was arrested. Jessica Jones second half was an incredible drag feat. I wouldn't say Luke Cage dragged too much but the second half just wasn't as good and some episodes were drawn out. It was more like it climaxed too early.
The show has less character than Luke Cage so far but that was one of LC's strongest points. Also, cool intro but I wish It had some green and gold.

Batman V Superman - 6( EC- 7)
Suicide Squad 4.5

Last edited by Verick808; 03-18-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Verick808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #23
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
There is a spoken explanation for it.
The doctor says that ever since the incident there's been a huge upswing in people that think they have superpowers, even though they don't. Therefor it makes sense to err on the side of crazy when someone says "I have superpowers, but I can't show them to you. Please stop drugging me like all the other crazy people want."

If anything I was glad that the doctor actually started to believe things he was saying were true and checked it out, instead of the trope in movies where the doctor is 100% the protagonist is just crazy.
I remember that, but it felt like lampshading to me.

- CM Punk
Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #24
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I remember that, but it felt like lampshading to me.
We see that different then, as I thought it was the rational approach and it wasn't like it was a dead end, it was just the point of a new direction.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I think it was both. It certainly was lampshading, but it was logical under the circumstances. I don't think channeling your Chi will be instantly accepted just because we've seen aliens.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote