The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Iron Fist

Old 03-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Kane52630
New Cydonian User

Default Season 1, Episode 4 "Eight Diagram Dragon Palm" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Episode 4: Eight Diagram Dragon Palm

Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 4 "Eight Diagram Dragon Palm" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Okay I'm confused. In DD it seemed that Madame Gao was part of the Triad. And in IF the Hand and the Triad are against each other and it also seems Gao is part of the Hand
Also, that was indeed a pretty cool hallway fight.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Opening scene was pretty funny

Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Loved the takedown of Martin Shkreli in the boardroom.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Colleen gets her traditional costume. Nice

Old 03-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Speed Force
There was an idea...

Pretty Danny centric episode. I feel like the show is starting to really pick up now.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Mister J
The Universe's Imbalance
SHH! Global Moderator

For a second, I thought we were going to get jobbed out of that elevator fight scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parker View Post
Pretty Danny centric episode. I feel like the show is starting to really pick up now.
It did seem like things started moving toward something here.

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there is always madness. Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away forever.
Mister J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Heretic
Side-Kick

Putting my comments in spoiler tags...though to be honest...I have no idea why someone would be in a thread devoted to a specific episode of a tv series if they hadn't seen that episode and didn't want to be spoiled.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
On his first day on the job, Danny betrayed the company...causing them to lose their entire R&D costs for a drug they likely spent years developing. This is a failure in his fiduciary responsibilities and he should be sued by the remaining shareholders.

On the plus side...after all the crimes he's committed thus far...all the people he has victimized for no real reason other than his own dangerous "naivete"...he finally found out that the TRUE hero of this series...Coincidence...has handed him a reason to earn his name in the title of the show.

Last edited by Heretic; 03-17-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

I on the other hand really took a liking to Danny there. It was a moment of pure escapism. We've had headlines about people raising the prices of drugs just to make more profit. It felt good to see the opposite, even in fiction.

Edit: Sorry for not using tags. I assumed that we were free to discuss openly, but now I actually read the title.

Last edited by AlluAllu; 03-17-2017 at 04:14 PM.
AlluAllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Heretic
Side-Kick

Yeah...it was definitely topical, and I appreciate that in my sci-fi...just, like many aspects of this show...handled very clumsily.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Pokkle
Side-Kick

It was a really good episode.
I loved the fight in the little hallway and in the elevator.
Madama Gao's role in the triad and in the Hand is intriguing.

Last edited by Pokkle; 03-17-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Pokkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
DarkShadow10
Ninja

Spoilers please

DarkShadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #13
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Just wrapped this episode. I ****ing loved this episode. I liked how on Harold's whim, the tide between Danny, Ward, and Joy just changed. I think it was very important for that change, especially with Danny and Joy reconnecting, that she had betrayed her brother and the company by handing Danny the key to his inheritance in the previous episode. It made the re-connection between her Danny believable after she had drugged him.

Colleen is awesome. My read is that it's not about the money, but that she's a warrior. She's a warrior, and warriors need to fight. Need to be challenged. The money is just icing, but taking on the challenge and putting her skills and experiencing battle...she needs that because she's a warrior.

I loved the big Danny fight scene in the hallway. The music was perfectly qued up, when the triad armed themselves with hatchets. I really like how they handled Danny's fighting style. I think the comparison will, aptly, be made to Daredevil in differences. I think it's interesting to look at, because while Matt is a trained ninja he's still got the boxer's background. I think the by comparison, it's great to see how Danny seems to expel so much less energy, and is so fluid. The elevator fight was cool, too.

The Martin Schrelli scene was awesome, too. And when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Ward is cut from the same cloth. The idea of helping the company, and how the profit margin is important...I understand how he could say that Danny waved his majority dick around and sold it at cost as a bad thing. It looked like Ward didn't understand how someone who's not working for the company could see it as a good thing, and I liked it. I liked the reveal of Danny's tattoo, and the bits of his training we got. There was actually something tragic in hearing how his training went, and Joy saying it sounded like abuse was pretty potent.

If there's one lesson to learn from this episode. Never touch Joy Meechum. Never. Ever.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
Okay I'm confused. In DD it seemed that Madame Gao was part of the Triad. And in IF the Hand and the Triad are against each other and it also seems Gao is part of the Hand
Also, that was indeed a pretty cool hallway fight.
I may be wrong here, but my understanding is...that Gao wasn't part of the Triad, but only used that as a front. She pretended that she was Triad. And, it would make sense that she could get away with it because all of the Triad gangs would be afraid of The Hand. Not like anyone would step up. But, I'm only going off what I remember of her in Daredevil and what we got in this episode.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #15
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Nothing about Gao's allegiances and alliances in the show make sense.

In Daredevil, she was part of the Wilson Fisk Cabal. However, she was listed as a separate party from The Hand, which was represented by Nobu. They appeared to be Yakuza but they were really The Hand. However, when she's introduced in this show, it's like she suddenly represents The Hand and she's a high ranking members.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
Solaire
Side-Kick

Just started episode 4.
Jimmy Pierce is one of the dudes that was fighting in the hospital that Foggy talked down right? Did no one else notice that, he isn't a big time player but the way they introduced him just kinda showcased it

Solaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #17
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Not sure if that's supposed to be the same character, but it's definitely the same actor, former UFC and MMA fighter Jay Hieron.

- CM Punk
Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
legendkillin
Side-Kick

Get our hallway fight scene. Can't wait for the Defenders to have theirs.

legendkillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #19
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It was a decent fight scene, but not exactly Daredevil Hallway or Stairwell levels of awesome.

- CM Punk
Old 03-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #20
legendkillin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It was a decent fight scene, but not exactly Daredevil Hallway or Stairwell levels of awesome.
It was the weakest of the fight scenes, would have preferred a faster pace fight.

legendkillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #21
Murdock103
Side-Kick

Episode 4 was the strongest one so far. I actually really enjoyed the fight scene. Whilst its not mind blowing, I enjoy the different feel that it has from the Daredevil fights.

Murdock103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #22
kguillou
Side-Kick

This should have been the pilot episode. Seriously. They couldve skipped the past three and this wouldve been a proper introduction to the characters, the world and the story.

kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #23
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

A much improved episode. I thought everything clicked much better. The corporate stuff worked decently with the rich vs. poor - the contrast of extremes continues to be noticable. I thought they could have made the pharmaceutical stuff less one-sided (the fact that it funds research to further new drugs is the obvious argument). These Netflix shows also are really pushing the skinny tie.

The ninja fight stuff is much better. I would like it to be more stylized and shot from more of a distance. It needs to be a different fight style than Daredevil (which I think it is to a degree), but it's not quite as good as Daredevil yet. I also find it interesting that this show seems to know it and doesn't put it as the capper for each episode.

On the plot development:
I'm not sure I like Madame Gao being part of the Hand (if that's the case). It seems she was separate from them. Plus, I like the different factions not all being together (I want a ninja war). I kind of got a Ninja Turtles movie vibe towards the end, but I enjoyed those scenes. I also liked the reveal at the end. I had noticed we never saw his tattoo, so I knew it was coming.

Four and a Half Stars.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #24
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Things seem to picking up a little bit with this episode.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #25
Elayis
Side-Kick

I got really excited when I saw the episode was directed by Miguel Sapochnik (even though I don't enjoy Game of Thrones anymore his episodes were the best of last season), but man this episode was a let down.

I'm not sure I watched the same hallway fight that everyone else did. The choreography and sound design were terrible, the editing was choppy and the music made it borderline farcical. It was a joke.

And I don't understand why the showrunners build things up for reveals when they don't make narrative sense. Why keep the identity of the ninja that killed the Triad thug a secret? It doesn't add anything to the emotion of the scene to not know who killed him (even though I had already guessed who it was as soon as Harold asked for a second favor.

And the "ripped from the headlines" bit with the drugs was not handled well at all. I can understand why it was done but it wasn't written very well.

This is a very uneven show, just like every other Netflix series, but unfortunately Danny isn't as charismatic as Matt or Jessica or Luke. Maybe it's Jones' difficulty with the accent, maybe it's the direction, but half the time it just sounds like he's reading his likes from a script, not acting.

I'm sticking with the show because I want to see how it ends and whether it ties into Defenders, but otherwise I'd drop at this point. Definitely the weakest of the shows so far.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote