The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Iron Fist

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #76
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 371
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
In the context of the series, their history is non-existent.
Nonsense. There hasn't been one canon pairing on these shows yet who were written as if their history was nonexistent. So I have no idea what you're basing this on.

Quote:
You seem confused. I never said there was anything wrong with them doing it, I said that shoe-horning it in there just for the sake of it makes no sense. If the showrunner thinks a Danny/Misty romance is what the series needs then great, do it, just don't upset the pre-existing narrative purely for the sake of copying something from the comics. The source material should be used by the writers to serve the series, not the other way around.
Lol That is basically what we saw in Daredevil S2 with Karen, Matt and Elektra. This is where you seem confused. The writers deciding to mind comic history isn't tantamount to "shoehorning" anything in. I don't even know why you presume to think this with Misty and Danny. Whether or not any pairing works very much depends on the writing and the chemistry between the actors.


Last edited by Faith_Cassidy; 07-29-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Faith_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #77
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,724
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

There's a lot to be said that 8 episodes in a shared series with 3 others will gain more likability for Danny Rand/Iron Fist than in 13 episodes of his very own series.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #78
Panacea
Side-Kick
 
Panacea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 823
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Cassidy View Post
Nonsense. There hasn't been one canon pairing on these shows yet who were written as if their history was nonexistent. So I have no idea what you're basing this on.
It's self-evident. They've never even met in the series. They have no history in the series.

Quote:
Lol That is basically what we saw in Daredevil S2 with Karen, Matt and Elektra. This is where you seem confused.
What am I supposed to be confused about? Just because something was written into Daredevil that doesn't make it a good idea. The way the Matt/Karen relationship played out (or didn't) is hardly an argument for doing the same thing in Iron Fist. Quite the contrary, if anything.

Quote:
The writers deciding to mind comic history isn't tantamount to "shoehorning" anything in. I don't even know why you presume to think this with Misty and Danny.
I don't. You're attacking a straw man. Again.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:02 AM   #79
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,724
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

I'm honestly surprised they didn't try to shoehorn a Heroes for Hire as the next series. But I guess we will be seeing that in a few years, so i take it LC season 2 or Iron Fist season 2 will feature appearances from the other to further build on their connection leading into a HfH maybe in 2020.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #80
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 371
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
It's self-evident. They've never even met in the series. They have no history in the series.
Again, nonsensical. Using this "logic", the history of every pairing we've see thus far is nonexistent...except that this isn't how the writers have approached things at all. Clearly, they were all written with their comic counterparts' history in mind. This is not even debatable, frankly...you are really trying it. lol

Quote:
What am I supposed to be confused about? Just because something was written into Daredevil that doesn't make it a good idea. The way the Matt/Karen relationship played out (or didn't) is hardly an argument for doing the same thing in Iron Fist. Quite the contrary, if anything.
Umm, you missed the point. This isn't about making an argument for IF to do what DD did. I was merely highlighting the fact that writers make these kind of deliberate choices and it isn't an inherently bad idea at all. As I said, we're getting a Luke/Danny bromance and likely, a Misty/Colleen team up primarily because they were popular comic pairings. There is nothing onscreen that suggests that either should be drawn to one another. And that's perfectly fine because whether or not they click and are successful pairings ultimately depends on the writing and the chemistry between the actors. The same applies to Misty and Danny, regardless of what the current narrative is.

Quote:
I don't. You're attacking a straw man. Again.
Ha. Nope. You were the one projecting a "shoehorning" argument simply based on some wanting to see a Misty/Danny romance, as if desiring the latter automatically means they'll be forced into the narrative. The writers can set out to adapt their story without the narrative suffering as a result. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Faith_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #81
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 51,099
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

None of these posts I've seen are legitimate reasons for why they would never pursue the relationship.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #82
Raiden
Wakanda Forever
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,785
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Save face for what exactly? Do you mean took over because of the really bad reviews? It's possible. But it could also be because Scott Buck is still busy with Inhumans and didn't have time to work on this show.

Also, it's not like Raven Metzner comes off like a big win for this show either. The dude co-wrote Elektra. If they got a Kevin Fuller, Shawn Ryan, or Kurt Sutter on here, it might be a different story.
No wonder the Inhumans looks mediocre.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #83
Panacea
Side-Kick
 
Panacea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 823
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Cassidy View Post
Again, nonsensical. Using this "logic", the history of every pairing we've see thus far is nonexistent...except that this isn't how the writers have approached things at all. Clearly, they were all written with their comic counterparts' history in mind. This is not even debatable, frankly...you are really trying it. lol



Umm, you missed the point. This isn't about making an argument for IF to do what DD did. I was merely highlighting the fact that writers make these kind of deliberate choices and it isn't an inherently bad idea at all. As I said, we're getting a Luke/Danny bromance and likely, a Misty/Colleen team up primarily because they were popular comic pairings. There is nothing onscreen that suggests that either should be drawn to one another. And that's perfectly fine because whether or not they click and are successful pairings ultimately depends on the writing and the chemistry between the actors. The same applies to Misty and Danny, regardless of what the current narrative is.



Ha. Nope. You were the one projecting a "shoehorning" argument simply based on some wanting to see a Misty/Danny romance, as if desiring the latter automatically means they'll be forced into the narrative. The writers can set out to adapt their story without the narrative suffering as a result. These things aren't mutually exclusive.
This is another collection of straw man arguments. It's an irrefutable fact that relationships that haven't happened in the series are non-existent in the series. I haven't said a word however about how the writers have or will approach things, or what weight they attach to existing comic book (not series) histories. Nor have I said that introducing a Misty relationship would be inherently bad or shoehorned. It would be however if the only reason they put it in there is because it was apparently ground-breaking to another generation in another continuity. If a Misty storyline is to be put into Iron Fist then it should be put in there because it will enrich the narrative based on it's own merit, not because it was important in the comics. Again, the source material should be used by the writers to serve the series, not the other way around.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:13 AM   #84
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 51,099
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

If Misty is going to be in the second series, that seems to imply they have some plans for her. And if they don't pull the trigger on a Danny relationship, they will tease it.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 AM   #85
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 371
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
This is another collection of straw man arguments. It's an irrefutable fact that relationships that haven't happened in the series are non-existent in the series. I haven't said a word however about how the writers have or will approach things, or what weight they attach to existing comic book (not series) histories.
Ha! And that's the problem. Your argument is based on nothing that's relevant to how Marvel/Netflix has written canon relationships. The fact that you think it's important to note that their onscreen history is "non-existent" is pretty nonsensical. None of these characters are written in a vacuum. Their comic histories are clearly important and serve as a guide to how they are written in live action.

Quote:
Nor have I said that introducing a Misty relationship would be inherently bad or shoehorned. It would be however if the only reason they put it in there is because it was apparently ground-breaking to another generation in another continuity. If a Misty storyline is to be put into Iron Fist then it should be put in there because it will enrich the narrative based on it's own merit, not because it was important in the comics. Again, the source material should be used by the writers to serve the series, not the other way around.
Speaking of straw man arguments... Who here is arguing this? Noting the importance of a comic relationship isn't tantamount to saying it's the only reason to see it onscreen. There are several reasons why I'd like to see a Misty/Danny romance. But even if their comic status were the only reason the writers paired them, that doesn't preclude those writers from penning a story that enriches the narrative. As I said, these things aren't mutually exclusive.

I have to say again, though, there is irony in you being concerned with "enriching" or "upsetting" the narrative, given that neither was a priority for the Iron Fist writers when they decided to pair Danny with Colleen. If Misty and Danny are "shoehorned" in, then it would just be in keeping with what we've already seen on this show.

Faith_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:35 AM   #86
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick
 
Mike Murdock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The other Hell's Kitchen
Posts: 9,208
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
If Misty is going to be in the second series, that seems to imply they have some plans for her. And if they don't pull the trigger on a Danny relationship, they will tease it.
Plans for Misty/Danny or Misty/Colleen (as business partners)?

__________________
Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #87
wampa1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 736
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTravels View Post
I'm honestly surprised they didn't try to shoehorn a Heroes for Hire as the next series. But I guess we will be seeing that in a few years, so i take it LC season 2 or Iron Fist season 2 will feature appearances from the other to further build on their connection leading into a HfH maybe in 2020.
I think Heroes For Hire will be next team up event series. It won't just be IF and LC, but everyone (DD, JJ, IF, LC etc). Essentially Defenders: Season 2 with Heroes For Hire sub-title.

wampa1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #88
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 51,099
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Plans for Misty/Danny or Misty/Colleen (as business partners)?
We shall see.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #89
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,724
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampa1 View Post
I think Heroes For Hire will be next team up event series. It won't just be IF and LC, but everyone (DD, JJ, IF, LC etc). Essentially Defenders: Season 2 with Heroes For Hire sub-title.
That'd be an interesting and welcome return. I guess we won't be saying it for at least two years in the earliest.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #90
Panacea
Side-Kick
 
Panacea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 823
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Cassidy View Post
Ha! And that's the problem. Your argument is based on nothing that's relevant to how Marvel/Netflix has written canon relationships. [...]
That's not a problem at all. I'm arguing how I think the storytelling should be approached, not how I think it will be.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 AM   #91
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL
 
Dasher10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,031
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Looks like we're only getting 10 episodes next season.

http://screenrant.com/daredevil-iron...episode-count/

It almost feels like Marvel's market research division read our reactions and knew what we wanted.

New showrunner. More emphasis on martial arts. Shorter season. An actual costume. Misty Knight as the love interest.

It's pretty much what everybody on these threads (including me) was saying.

__________________
Fire Scott Buck
Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:25 AM   #92
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL
 
Dasher10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,031
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Also, my hope is that we get more of Zhou Cheng and Bride of Nine Spiders since the main complaint about both was that they got next to no screen time and audiences wanted to see more. Compare that with Bokuto who was boring and didn't interest me at all or Harold Meachum who killed a guy with an ice cream scoop.

Davos was also cool and also introduced far too late. The interesting bad guys got no real screen time compared to some rather boring big bads.

__________________
Fire Scott Buck
Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:27 AM   #93
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 51,099
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

They came off like one-off characters. If there are going to be shorter seasons, IF, that could be beneficial to some of the shows that got really flabby in the back half.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #94
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 33,392
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

I wonder if Lucy Liu will be interested in directing some episodes of Iron Fist?

__________________
All aboard the Pork Chop Express!
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #95
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL
 
Dasher10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,031
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

I think that Iron Fist is going shorter since people watched Season 1 but didn't particularly like it. Plus the show needs a higher effects budget per episode since that's the nature of the character. Luke Cage can just run around without a shirt and have people shoot blanks at him and stab him with pre-broken swords. Daredevil's powers are invincible. Jessica Jones needs wirework but not much else. Iron Fist needs CGI. And Iron Fist needs lots of it.

And we need a flashback of him ripping the heart out of a dragon.

__________________
Fire Scott Buck
Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #96
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 371
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
That's not a problem at all. I'm arguing how I think the storytelling should be approached, not how I think it will be.
Then perhaps you should have just stated that instead of trying to dismiss the importance or relevance of comic history.

Faith_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #97
The Infernal
Spinning Fidgeter
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 9,184
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Cassidy View Post
Irrelevant. lol Seriously, it's interesting how no one brings up age in relation to Luke and Danny being BFFs or Misty and Colleen teaming up. It's only an issue for romantic pairings? I actually think the age gap potentially makes Misty and Danny's dynamic more interesting. We don't see a lot of older woman/younger man relationships on tv and this could be one that proves to be beneficial to Danny's character and development.
Not really. It is generally outside of the norm for there to be a significant age difference in sexual relationships. Not saying they couldn't, but it could be seen as a barrier. I don't have a personal take on it, but I just think it seems unlikely to go that way IMO.

Luke and Danny as well as Colleen and Misty are both a different kinds of relationships and a seperate subject to Danny being in a relationship. So I wouldn't expect them to be brought up much.

The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #98
KevTravels
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,724
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

The 10 episodes is hard for them to put a positive spin on. It's just a sign of "we know it was crap, so we're trying to condense it so you'll be less pissed" and also "our budget can only carry 10 instead of 13 episodes"

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:42 AM   #99
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 371
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Not really. It is generally outside of the norm for there to be a significant age difference in sexual relationships. Not saying they couldn't, but it could be seen as a barrier. I don't have a personal take on it, but I just think it seems unlikely to go that way IMO.

Luke and Danny as well as Colleen and Misty are both a different kinds of relationships and a seperate subject to Danny being in a relationship. So I wouldn't expect them to be brought up much.
Well first of all, there is only a 5 or 6 year age difference between the actors and I don't think the characters are that far off from that, so I definitely wouldn't say there is a "significant" age difference. Is there enough of one to make note of it and play it up a bit onscreen? Sure. But the same could be said of Luke/Danny, especially. Heck, there's a bigger age difference between Finn and Mike than there is between Simone and Finn. Doesn't matter if Luke/Danny aren't romantic. It's still a personal relationship between two people who would likely never bond under "normal" circumstances.


Last edited by Faith_Cassidy; 08-02-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Faith_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:03 AM   #100
Daneen
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 38
Default Re: Iron Fist OFFICIALY Renewed For Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Looks like we're only getting 10 episodes next season.

http://screenrant.com/daredevil-iron...episode-count/

It almost feels like Marvel's market research division read our reactions and knew what we wanted.

New showrunner. More emphasis on martial arts. Shorter season. An actual costume. Misty Knight as the love interest.

It's pretty much what everybody on these threads (including me) was saying.
It says nothing in the article about misty knight as love interest lmao good job on making that up though. all it says she was added to the show. and no one wants misty/danny accept for a few people on this forum.

In this netflix/marvel universe colleen wing is far more liked than misty also it may have worked in the comics but dany/misty will not work on television.. i don't know why any people would want it anyway..because they will break up as they have in the comics they won't stay together so the entire romantic relationship is pointless. i also like colleen wing as a character more than misty.. and when she is on screen with dany because she is awesome it makes me forget how they ****ed up danny rand.

by the way.. here is first picture of daughters of the dragon in the defenders.


that is misty on the ground against the wall, possibly when she loses her arm( i have seen new pictures of the misty wearing that same outfit so it is her). also for a bit of fun... colleen = dany/colleen relationship misty = dany/misty in that picture hahah


Last edited by Daneen; 08-02-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Daneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.