The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #526
Torrente
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I really hope that the secrecy is not because they've changed significant stuff, I hope they don't come up with stuff like the suit is what makes him fly, etc....

Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #527
~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Clearly the secrecy is hiding the fact that our bickering about minor film details has persuaded them to re-shoot all superman scenes to now include the curl and red trunks.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #528
Torrente
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~ View Post
Clearly the secrecy is hiding the fact that our bickering about minor film details has persuaded them to re-shoot all superman scenes to now include the curl and red trunks.

And make Laurence Fishburne's skin white, like Dave Chapelle used to in his show lol

Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #529
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~ View Post
That must be it!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #530
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I think the reason Bane was hyped more than Zod is because TDKR needed more to prove villain-wise than MOS does, due to the late Ledger's performance. I think the actor they need to "sell" is Cavill, but I would like to see more stills from Zod, Adams, and Foara.

Speaking of which, with MOS, I hope they go the Iron Man route of introducing the most iconic villain in the third movie (or 4th if you count Avengers). That way, you won't end up with a TDKR situation, where many were disappointed, except those with realistic expectations. Or rabid Nolanites who would accept any movie he's written as a masterpiece, but who counts them?

And no, I wasn't disappointed by TDKR for the most part. How else could one end a story and block off sequels what has intended to be a standalone trilogy? Kill Bruce off?
That would upset a significant part of people, while others would say he isn't dead, and still others would like that route for its unconventional boldness. MOS has the potential to top Begins, TDKR, Iron Man, and pretty much any superhero movie out there, due to the amount of time put into it. And unlike the TDK trilogy, characters will have actual powers and more comic book story conventions.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #531
G.Godfrey
Banned User

I know I said I wouldn't be back until something new hits but recent developments have shown me that won't be for quite a while. I thought it would be this week.

Anyway, so those costume photos are embargoed until the 28th, the children's books come out on 30th and most Toys hit the retailers on May 1st. I think it's pretty obvious why everything is centered around that date.

And you know what's funny about this? The fact that what will happen is exactly what people defending the marketing now say it shouldn't. WB will launch the marketing blitz in the middle of the biggest IM3 and STID hype because it's obvious the trailer will debut with IM3's domestic release. No other reason for all embargoes to have a end of the month date.

So instead of truly following the Nolan template of marketing and building the foundation now, with 72 days to go (as both TDK and TDKR had the third trailers by now) they will wait until the last possible minute. If this film truly followed ´´the Nolan way`` the third trailer would be online this Friday or Tuesday next week. Then they should release the character posters and attach the trailer domestically with Oblivion on April 19th and internationally with Iron Man 3 on April 24th.

This would allow them to rest easy for the final week of April and first two weeks of May because they would have used this relatively hype free time of early-mid April and steal all the attention. That way they could start slowly turning it back on in the second week of May and push it hard for the final 3 weeks.

Alas, it looks like that won't be the case. Also, MTV revealed what movies will be presenting clips at the MTV movie awards and MOS is not among them. A missed opportunity to show Cavill's handsome face and have Amy alongside him to present a new clip.

Do not expect anything else until the end of the month other than an EW issue which should be revealed next week or the week after. And perhaps reports of footage at the Cinema-Con.

It is what it is. No point in complaining anymore I just hope the movie is truly so good that it can make enough $$$ on it's own to secure a sequel. I would hate to see WB push JL next if MOS fails to even gross as much as the first IM film. No doubt they'll believe it's because Superman on his own can't draw a big enough crowd (just like they believe GL failed because it wasn't ´´´dark enough``) so let's go for the big guns by teaming Supes with Bats and others. Le sigh...

Oh well, anyone have any ideas on what to talk about?

Last edited by G.Godfrey; 04-03-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #532
BH/HHH
You Are My World

I'm pretty sure we'll get a new trailer mid April not at the end of the month.

Also on Zod reveal yes he's not the focus of this film but is it too much to ask for an official pic? They revealed pics of both Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul (well Ken Wantanbe ) so why can't we get the same for Zod and Faora?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #533
G.Godfrey
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll get a new trailer mid April not at the end of the month.

Also on Zod reveal yes he's not the focus of this film but is it too much to ask for an official pic? They revealed pics of both Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul (well Ken Wantanbe ) so why can't we get the same for Zod and Faora?
Maybe Zod should be the focus - in a way. Or at least maybe they should find a way to balance the focus between the hero and the villain. Maybe one of the reasons why most reboots/origins don't do too well is because they focus too much on selling only the hero and origin part and not enough of the villains. You got Michael freaking Shannon playing a villain (Zod of all people) in your movie and you put no focus on him in promotion and do no attempts to hype him. Not too smart if you ask me. (I know Shannon is not a big name, but im sure his appearance/performance would get hype if WB bothered to create it) I wonder if the EW cover is going to be a dual cover of Supes/Zod since I believe someone mentioned a while ago the EW MOS issue would be a two cover issue. Or maybe that will only happen closer to May.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #534
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Maybe Zod should be the focus - in a way. Or at least maybe they should find a way to balance the focus between the hero and the villain. Maybe one of the reasons why most reboots/origins don't do too well is because they focus too much on selling only the hero and origin part and not enough of the villains. You got Michael freaking Shannon playing a villain (Zod of all people) in your movie and you put no focus on him in promotion and do no attempts to hype him. Not too smart if you ask me. (I know Shannon is not a big name, but im sure his appearance/performance would get hype if WB bothered to create it) I wonder if the EW cover is going to be a dual cover of Supes/Zod since I believe someone mentioned a while ago the EW MOS issue would be a two cover issue. Or maybe that will only happen closer to May.
I think they should do a viral campaign type thinh on alien invasions to reveal Zod & Co.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #535
G.Godfrey
Banned User

They will probably do a viral near the end of the month for the trailer reveal on April 30th.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #536
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Global Moderator

I really wish they would have expanded upon the viral marketing that eventually revealed trailer 2. Like intercepting and analyzing another alien signal from space and whatnot.

Edit: Whoa you guys were thinking about the same thing as I was typing. lol

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #537
G.Godfrey
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Edit: Whoa you guys were thinking about the same thing as I was typing. lol
Great minds think alike.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #538
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
They will probably do a viral near the end of the month for the trailer reveal on April 30th.
I think the trailer will be put sooner than that more like mid-April

Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #539
G.Godfrey
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think the trailer will be put sooner than that more like mid-April
I strongly doubt it. But if it does, hooray! I ´´win`` in any case. Since I was the one who first found the April 16th date and made those connections I am right in either case. But after looking at all facts again and some new info, I very strongly lean towards the April 30th date. Makes all the sense in the world given the data we have so far. So in my mind, that's the date. Which is good because I am at peace with it and if to comes earlier, I'll be that much happier...but that won't happen.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #540
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

I really expect the next trailer to be out the week Oblivion hits theaters, as previously rumored, with tv spots and advertising starting with the NBA playoffs on the 21st.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #541
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
I strongly doubt it. But if it does, hooray! I ´´win`` in any case. Since I was the one who first found the April 16th date and made those connections I am right in either case. But after looking at all facts again and some new info, I very strongly lean towards the April 30th date. Makes all the sense in the world given the data we have so far. So in my mind, that's the date. Which is good because I am at peace with it and if to comes earlier, I'll be that much happier...but that won't happen.
Ha ha I think my thinking is more wishful than anything else

I have to admit I'd be disappointed if we had to wait til April 30th

Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #542
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
We will definitely read about the footage on April 16th, as it is almost surely being screened at CinemaCon. Last year, the "Dark Knight Rises" footage was debuted at CinemaCon on April 24th, with the trailer being revealed via the "Bat symbol search" on April 29 late night.

Reading the description of the footage, they showed the trailer scenes, the prologue and a few other scenes which we did not see before the movie released.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #543
G.Godfrey
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
We will definitely read about the footage on April 16th, as it is almost surely being screened at CinemaCon. Last year, the "Dark Knight Rises" footage was debuted at CinemaCon on April 24th, with the trailer being revealed via the "Bat symbol search" on April 29 late night.

Reading the description of the footage, they showed the trailer scenes, the prologue and a few other scenes which we did not see before the movie released.
I guess the descriptions and the EW issue will have to do for this month. I really, really hope the EW issue is a bit better in terms of stills and info than Empire and Total Film. But I suspect they will still be playing the teasing and unrevealing card until the new trailer drops.

And I really hope it's revealed next Wednesday. EW releases issues for a week in advance (I think) and the issue on sale this Friday (which will be the April 12th issue) got it's cover revealed today (Current WWZ issue also got a cover reveal last Wednesday). So the next issue would be the 19th and by such date all previous EW's had summer preview/superhero issues out (Superman Returns, GL, TDKR...).

Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #544
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
hat should Supermans mission in the franchise be?For example Batmans main mission was to eradicate crime from Gotham and bring peace to the city and the main trilogy centresed around this conflict.

So what shld Superman main mission/challenge be?
I don't think we'll know for sure what it is until the sequel. His objective in the first film will (obviously) be to protect the Earth from Zod's invasion and find away to send Zod packing. After that...then what? What place does Superman have in a world that is only just now coming to terms with the existence of alien life? Will he strive to simply protect people whenever and wherever he can? Or will be come to conclusion that he should inspire us to be more altruistic and good? I think that'll be explored in MOS 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
The other day I asked here if there were any Civil War buffs who might want to speculate / explain what the significance might be of Shannon reading Grant's memoirs in preparation for the Zod role. No one bit though.
I asked how people wanted to see the Daily Planet portrayed. I asked something else, too, but I don't remember what it was. Something to do with the sequel, I believe.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #545
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-sci View Post
Maybe becuse they did the SAME thing for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. And who was responsible for those films? Oh right, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer..

The same 2 people who are involved in MOS (Nolan may be a producer, but he's not a name-only type - the fact he talks about MOS and chose the director proves he HAS an influence).
No one's doubting whose responsible, just that they are doing a bad job. Influence or no, "nolan" might not be making the best decision here.

Quote:
And the fact that the Dark Knight Trilogy made WB over 2 and a HALF BILLION dollars, using the low-key marketing?
Um, Begins made a very low amount of money relative to the rest of the franchise. Apart from film quality(debatable) and what came before(debatable), that film did poorly. Why would MoS want to follow in Begins footsteps?

Quote:
Don't believe me? Then google for the Batman Begins Scarecrow / Ra's poster? Try the 1989 Batman Joker poster......

Thats right, they don't exist.

Those wanting a Zod poster instead of Supes in chains? Missing the point. Zod won't sell this film, Superman will.
Not many people asking for a poster of Zod in chains.
How about an official still of some sort? Maybe of the full body. I'm sure every movie villain at had some of these released at this point...surely.
What's the benefit of holding off, I don't get it.

I'm sure there was some Green Goblin media pre release, I'm sure there was some Megatron media...etc. Kids like villains so why not get them out there.

I should ad, I saw a hell of a lot of joker posters and TDK marketing leading up to 2008. To compare the success of that film to what they are doing with MoS is way off. And then you speak of spoiler free, um, One look at the TDKR trailer and you pretty much have a film summery there. Plenty of big moments. And this was back in the MI4 trailer.

I'm sure WB will do that blitz card they do, but as of right now, they aren't even following the Begins paradigm all that well and again, looking at how Begins performed, why would one want to reference that one? It stunk.
At least give us the brilliant Viral campaign of the most popular film in the series.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #546
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
I guess the descriptions and the EW issue will have to do for this month. I really, really hope the EW issue is a bit better in terms of stills and info than Empire and Total Film. But I suspect they will still be playing the teasing and unrevealing card until the new trailer drops.

And I really hope it's revealed next Wednesday. EW releases issues for a week in advance (I think) and the issue on sale this Friday (which will be the April 12th issue) got it's cover revealed today (Current WWZ issue also got a cover reveal last Wednesday). So the next issue would be the 19th and by such date all previous EW's had summer preview/superhero issues out (Superman Returns, GL, TDKR...).
Yup, I hope everyone who sees it says that the footage rocks. Hoping for the EW issue next week as well.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #547
mad-sci
Side-Kick

The 1 and three quarter year wait of marketing from WB, starting from the first pic of HC as Superman, has definitely made a lot of us agitated. No doubt.

And last years Dark Shadows marketing? Fresh in people's minds.

But to claim that WB is rushing their marketing for MOS???

No.

A teaser trailer in Summer 2012, full trailer in December 2012, posters and interviews since.

There's a CLEAR foundation established here, people.

All that's left is the final stretch. The final push. That's all.

What can WB market now, without risking spoilers?

How about Zod? Lois Lane? Perry White? Pa and Ma Kent? Krypton?

Or how about the fact that in nearly 2 years of marketing, spying, etc, there has been NO picture released of Clark Kent, journalist???!!!

There is SO much for WB to release between now and June 16 WITHOUT spoiling the actual film!!! That's brilliant!!!

Now look at STID and IM3. Hand on heart, can you honestly say you don't feel spoiled by all the footage you've seen so far? In IM3, the plane scene, Tony's house attack, the multiple suits, the Mandarin - 1 month to go, and the only way for these films to increase marketing is to spoil more of the movie. Don't you think that's a mistake? Like the Hulk saving Iron Man shot in the trailers last year...

Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #548
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

Damn just saw the marvel phase 2 video. I hope WB can get like that some day.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #549
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy

Can anyone really think of any comparable big budget film that had marketing this bad this close to the films release date?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #550
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I feel like there already is, but no one ever goes there.
Then I would kindly suggest to everyone who wants to continue this topic to try and move it in the appropriate thread. I know this is too much to ask, but I doubt I'm the only one who is getting a little tired of reading dozens of pages of criticism on WB's marketing strategy every day. If there is a specific thread for this topic, I see no reason not to use it by anyone who wishes to continue discussing this.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar

Last edited by Norek; 04-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Closed Thread