The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #551
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oh my god.

2 trailers, 2 posters, interviews from the cast and crew, magazine articles, an early Comic-Con presentation....

...This is BAD marketing?

Where's that Farnsworth meme please? Anyone?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #552
G.Godfrey
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Then I would kindly suggest to everyone who wants to continue this topic to try and move it in the appropriate thread. I know this is too much to ask, but I doubt I'm the only one who is getting a little tired of reading dozens of pages of criticism on WB's marketing strategy every day. If there is an appropriate thread for this topic, I see no reason not to use it by anyone who wishes to continue discussing this.
I would kindly suggest you don't read the posts if you don't like them. This is an open discussion topic. We also discuss the trailers here and the merchandise and the cast even though those have their own topics as well. I see no reason why you cannot simply ignore the posts which discuss what you do not wish to see discussed.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #553
i_Cam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-sci View Post
Oh my god.

2 trailers, 2 posters, interviews from the cast and crew, magazine articles, an early Comic-Con presentation....

Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #554
mad-sci
Side-Kick

^

Thank you!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #555
JimJimBinks
A friend

Quote:
Oh my god.

I don't think it's bad marketing, but it's not particularly good either. It's standard run of the mill, which is a shame when this is Superman we're talking about.

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #556
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
zod: hi im zod
suprman: r u south american or something??
lol do you guys think zots goin to have an kriptonian accent in a unreelistic super man film

zot: hello im zot

super man: ??? r u from kripton or something?

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #557
Marvin
Side-Kick

Coming off of Superman Returns, Goyer himself saying that they haven't revealed anything, in a summer of big properties...
I'd say this is a bad move..

Like it or not, Hulk saving Iron man literally got butt's in seats and didn't hurt Disney/Marvel in the slightest.

Some big moments weather they big spoilers or just superman throwing his first punch would have MoS as hyped as Ironman and the rest of the ilk at this point. That's the way the game is played.

Imagine for 2 seconds that pacific rim was employing MoS' strategy at this point...Why is that film trying so hard to look appealing but MoS not so much? Cause MoS is in a better position property wise right?
WRONG.

Granted, I assume(hope) this will change come next trailer/spots.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #558
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Ok, new topic. Totally had enough.

I already posted this idea, and I'm still convinced there might be some truth to it.

What is your opinion on the idea that Kal-El is not the only member of his family to escape Krypton, but is the only one to survive?

A 'debunked rumour' suggested that the FOS in the North Pole is actually Lara's crashed ship, which Superman uses as his new home. Other reports say its a scout ship, sent by Jor-El.

The 2nd theory sounds more plausible, but the first one would be a hell of a shocker to see on-screen.

The only reason I'm saying this is that so far, the trailer plot suggests a mash up of Donners Superman 1 and 2 - Krypton, the Kents, Clark growing up in Smallville, travelling, FOS, North Pole, Zod, battle in Metropolis.

I just seriously doubt that after all the restarts and people involved, and after SR, that the final product will be anything like that...

Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #559
~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~
Side-Kick

This marketing plan worked well for inception. No one knew anything about it till it hit and then it was huge. It also helps that the film was really really good. Banking on MOS to follow suit after SR may be still fresh in minds DOES seem risky, but they will sell hard on the Nolan name and superman's name alone. I guess I'm saying that if it worked for an original unknown film like inception, how can it fail a Superman film?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #560
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

mad_sci shouldn't be throwing out memes to ridicule the arguments of others, given that just yesterday he / she claimed that marketing was "only for the purpose of creating awareness" and "letting people know the film exists." Yeah, marketing isn't about building interest or trying to sell the film at alllll....

Such a classic argument.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #561
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Don't start that again, please.

It's one thing to complain about marketing if there has been some justification, but to declare MOS marketing as one of the worst ever for a big budget film? What a statement to make....

As for my 'ridiculous statement' about marketing making people aware of a film, which I am constantly derided of....

If marketing a film is trying to sell you the film, isn't that making you aware of its existence?

Every year, posters get worse and worse. And because of this, almost every film nowadays is 3/4 spoiled before we've even watched it. Why can't fans be patient?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #562
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
If marketing a film is trying to sell you the film, isn't that making you aware of its existence?
Awareness and interest-building are not the same thing.

Again, this has nothing to do with me being impatient. I just think WB has a horrible marketing strategy right now. My life moves along just swell each day without any MOS news.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #563
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy

I just saw this is it a new pic?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #564
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
No... just imagine the least attractive person to you that you can think of, put them in a Supergirl outfit, and that's what's here in our hell with us

Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #565
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

New to me, but something doesn't look quite right with their heads and with Amy's dress at the bottom. Need to see a bigger pic.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #566
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy

Ooops guess its an old manip, sorry guys.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #567
X Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
old and fake.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #568
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
old and fake.
Thought so.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #569
JimJimBinks
A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Awareness and interest-building are not the same thing.

Again, this has nothing to do with me being impatient. I just think WB has a horrible marketing strategy right now. My life moves along just swell each day without any MOS news.
This is a good point...
For instance I am aware Scary Movie 5 is coming out. I have not seen anything that makes me interested in seeing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It's an old photomanip. Someone took an image from Smallville and photoshopped Amy Adams and Henry Cavill on it.

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #570
X Knight
Watchful Protector

ok, don't know if this is much, but found this post on the Superman Homepage:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=12810

it contains descriptions on the back of the action figures for Superman, Jor-El, and Zod.

nothing much new but somewhat spoilerish.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #571
mad-sci
Side-Kick

You know what?

I could totally buy into this poor marketing argument, 100%, if the only thing WB had released for MOS was the teaser, from Summer 2012. I could see the same approach as with SR, and I would be equally upset.

By WB also released a much more detailed trailer - one that was MUCH more effective. They've also had interviews, magazine articles, and released some pics. Everything else is embargoed.

I get that people want to see posters on the billboards, pictures in magazines, etc. and it WILL happen. After the May battle.

I just do not understand all this negativity. The December trailer came out, blew everyone away, and 3 months later, people are already upset, DEMANDING more?

It really saddens me...

Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #572
X Knight
Watchful Protector

we are being critical of the marketing because we are passionate Superman fans who really want this movie to succeed.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #573
mad-sci
Side-Kick

There's a fine line between criticism and *****ing...

And it's been crossed...

Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #574
X Knight
Watchful Protector

how so?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #575
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
There's a fine line between criticism and *****ing...

And it's been crossed...
I agree, and it is been by you.