The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #251
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Default Re: Disney Channel developing "Boy Meets World" sequel series

Okay…I take it back. With that, she does look like she could be their daughter.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #252
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-jacobs-416846

Quote:
'Boy Meets World' EP on Follow-Up: Viewers Want 'This Type of Honest Show' (Q&A)

12:58 PM PST 1/30/2013 by Philiana Ng

Who else from the original series might join the Disney Channel update? "Whoever wants to be part of this show will be and whoever wants to move on will," executive producer Michael Jacobs told THR.

"Boy Meets World's" Cory and Topanga with EP Michael Jacobs (inset)

Now that Disney Channel's Boy Meets World follow-up Girl Meets World has found Cory Matthews and Topanga Lawrence's young daughter, the real work begins.

Boy Meets World executive producer Michael Jacobs, who is overseeing Girl Meets World, hopes the pilot and potential series is a nod to the past that will pay dividends in the future with the inclusion of two characters viewers have grown up with for seven seasons. But don't expect a retread of ABC's "TGIF" comedy staple. "If we do a redo of the original series, that’s no good," Jacobs told The Hollywood Reporter. "Nobody wants that."

STORY: Ben Savage Reveals 5 Things About 'Boy Meets World' Sequel

Reaction to Girl Meets World has been loud to say the least since news broke in November, and concerns raised by fans of the original are being taken to heart. "As soon as we talked about redoing the show, the response was so overwhelming and positive that no matter what happens with this show, myself, the staff, Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel are incredibly gratified," Jacobs said.

In an in-depth conversation, Jacobs talked exclusively with THR about why he cast Rowan Blanchard for the title role in the Disney Channel effort, the appeal of bringing back a classic to television more than a decade later and whether Rider Strong (and other Boy Meets World regulars) could really drop by.

The Hollywood Reporter: Why about 11-year-old Rowan Blanchard made her right to play Cory and Topanga’s daughter?

Michael Jacobs: The thing about casting that has changed is that there were tapes that came in from all over the country, every city and town. When you say this was a national casting search, this really was. We looked at just about everybody. We had it in mind that she should be in seventh grade, 13 years old and that she should be representative of the typical 13-year-old girl. That’s basically how we set about Boy Meets World. We brought in finalists, girls we thought would be absolutely lovely in the role, and we had a test session. When we were listening to the girls and the dialogue coming out of their mouths, we realized something was wrong. The girls seemed a little too old in aspect. We were doing a coming-of-age story and you can’t cast somebody who has already come of age. The cost of coming of age has gotten a little younger. I remembered Rowan and how I felt about her when she first came in. I felt like it was Cory Matthews walking into the room.

THR: What were the first reactions to her?

Jacobs: I put her in front of Gary Marsh, Adam Bonnett, Corey Marsh and all of the people at Disney Channel and they immediately said that they were very intrigued by this. It was our first breath of real honesty, that this was a real girl who was actually growing up. We came to love her quirkiness and naturalness. Rowan instructed us that this is the show we should be doing.

STORY: More 'Boy Meets World' Stars Heading to Disney Channel Follow-Up? Danielle Fishel Weighs In

THR: What’s the appeal of doing a project like this right now, 13 years after Boy Meets World went off the air?

Jacobs: The appeal to me was exactly the same appeal that I had in doing the original, which is that I look around at the landscape and I look at my children and what is on television for them, and there are very few shows that are like this, what we aspire this show to be. I think of Boy Meets World and I think of Wonder Years and I think of Happy Days, which I grew up [with]. The thing that delineates this show is that I don’t want this to be anything except the natural experience of actually growing up in this current world. I’m reading a lot about, “Is this girl going to be a singer? Is this girl going to aspire to be an actress?” This is a girl who is going to aspire to put one foot in front of the other and to try and understand the confusion that is her life. That’s what I think becomes real about this show. The stories we intend on doing are stories about a real girl who is coming of age. The beauty of this show is the girl will have two parents whom the world has already watched come of age and their natural confusion in the next step of Cory and Topanga’s own evolution: being parents. I’m looking at what the condition of the world is right now for kids who are growing up, and if we can offer the same sort of guidance and entertainment that Boy Meets World offered, then the show is a good thing to do right now.

THR: From your perspective, Girl Meets World is filling a void that that you believe exists in TV?

Jacobs: Since Boy Meets World went off the air, I haven’t seen this kind of programming on the air. That was reflected in the reaction, which I am extraordinarily grateful for. As soon as we talked about redoing the show, the response was so overwhelming and positive that no matter what happens with this show, myself, the staff, Ben and Danielle are incredibly gratified. It’s rare that in your own lifetime you get to hear positive response in this volume about the work that you’ve done. Boy never left the air. It ran on Disney Channel, it ran on ABC Family, it’s running on MTV2, you can turn on the television any time of day and catch an episode. There has to be the realization that the public does want this type of honest show or at least the aspiration to be honest in its characters.

THR: Do you have fears that viewers might gravitate more toward Cory and Topanga, who I assume will act in support, than Riley?

Jacobs: I think that’s a formula. I don’t want this show to be a part of a formula. Is there a lead? Are there supporting characters? Boy Meets World was always an ensemble. There is pretty much equal interest about who you would naturally term “supporting characters.” Ben and Danielle would be the first to say that Boy was always an ensemble that Ben was in the middle of with all of the stories spun out from him. Will Cory and Topanga be supporting characters? All of the characters will have their feature stories and will be paid close attention to, so hopefully the audience will love the characters the way they loved the characters on Boy. You’re going to be seeing a lot of Riley Matthews because she’s the point of view of this show, but what influences her are all of the characters in her life. You are going to see very equal attention paid to Cory and Topanga and all of the other supporting cast as you would naturally term it.

STORY: Will Shawn Return? 'Boy Meets World's' Rider Strong Weighs in on Follow-Up

THR: How will the show be different than Boy Meets World considering it’s for Disney Channel, which has a different target audience than ABC?

Jacobs: That is not going to influence what the tone and quality will be of the show. I’m hoping parents who grew up with the original Boy Meets World will put their children in front of this because they know what we’re going to do. The world is different today. Even in the 20 years since Boy first premiered, there have been so many changes in the lives of children and how they grow and what they have been exposed to on the television screen, the movie screen and the computer screen. That influenced why we couldn’t cast a 13-year-old because it seemed to me we were coming into the middle. It seemed to me there wasn’t much to learn at 13, which was sad to me in a way. What I’m hoping is that the freshness of this will be a girl at her absolute cusp of being able to be influenced by these surrounding forces. Cory, who has been nothing but confused all his life, will try to impress upon his daughter that he knows what he’s doing now and she will see right through that. That’s going to be one of the primary relationships within the show. Topanga’s observation and realization that neither of them know truly what they’re doing, and that it’s not an easy world to raise a child in, is what makes this show great for right now.

THR: Rider Strong was vocal about his lack of participation in the update. Now that Girl Meets World is an official pilot, have you discussed this with him or any other castmembers?

Jacobs: When Rider said that he was not approached about being a part of the show, there actually was no official show. [At the time] it was an idea that Gary Marsh, Adam Bonnett, Corey Marsh and the Disney Channel people called me up asking if I would be interested in doing this. It just got an official green light for pilot. I didn’t want to talk to everybody about something that was only a discussion. Then the world reacted and I got a bajillion phone calls. Rider and Will Friedle and all of the cast said, “What is this? We thought we were done!” We sat down with them and talked about what their roles on the show might be. Whoever wants to be part of this show will be and whoever wants to move on will. The most important thing is to see what the show is and then see what their part in it will be. Will Friedle said, “I will be at every taping.” Everybody is quite attached to it. The bottom line is: Will Rider or Will be a cast member? Will they put in appearances? Maybe, maybe not. We’ll see.

THR: Would you want this to run on Friday nights like Boy Meets World did?

Jacobs: That’s not up to me. The people at Disney are extraordinarily bright at what they do. They will put the show at exactly the right place, at exactly the right time. My concern is when we get a time slot, our show is ready and we hit the ground running and the audience gets exactly what the audience wants.

THR: How many versions of Girl Meets World did you toy with before landing on this one?

Jacobs: This was it. Gary, Adam, Corey and their staff spoke to me about doing it. I spoke to my wife. I said, “Sequels are very tough. I don’t want to do anything at all that would hurt or tarnish whatever legacy the original had.” This was before the world reacted and demanded that I don’t. [Laughs] Now I’m under absolute command of the world and I’m paying very strict attention on what the show will be. The idea I came up with is the idea we’re going forward with. Girl Meets World can be told on two levels: the coming of age of Riley Matthews and two parents who haven’t quite come of age themselves.

THR: Is there anything that’s keeping you up at night? Are there challenges you’re facing in terms of how to stay as true to your original vision as possible?

Jacobs: There is literally one thing that’s keeping me up at night. Now that we’ve gotten the response -- and I’m reading a lot of it. I know this way lies madness. I know to read Twitter and Tumblr, which I never did before, and everyone at Disney is taking great stock in articles that say “these are the five things we demand from Girl Meets World,” “these are the ways the show has to go.” If we do a redo of the original series, that’s no good. Nobody wants that. The world [my kids are] growing up in is a far tougher world; it’s not the same world Cory Matthews met. I certainly don’t know that it’s as kid-friendly. It’s far more complex than it used to be because of their immediate access technologically, about things they should and shouldn’t. The thing that keeps me up is, "will I actually be able to communicate to a vast audience the joy of growing up? With a bit more innocent confusion and a bit less wanting to run off the cliff and becoming much too old much too fast?" If I can do that, then this is a real contribution.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #253
antsman41
Belongs To Prince

This show sounds like the perfect solution to all of the crappy shows about kids/teens.

Honest, real, and fun. Just like BMW was...

So excited.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #254
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Girl Meets World Exclusive: Meet Riley's BFF!

Girl meet your best friend!

Disney Channel’s Girl Meets World pilot has cast Sabrina Carpenter as Maya Fox, the best friend of Cory and Topanga’s tween daughter, Riley Matthews (played by Rowan Blanchard).

According to sources, Disney execs were first impressed by Carpenter when she was cast in the ill-fated Disney XD pilot, Gulliver Quinn, with Jon Heder. Disney later hired her as the voice of a princess in the animated Disney Junior hit Sofia The First.

Carpenter will next be seen as the tween version of Becki Newton’s character, Chloe, in the Fox comedy The Goodwin Games.

Girl Meets World, a spin-off of the insanely popular ’90s sitcom Boy Meets World, is set to begin production next month with Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel reprising their roles of Cory and Topanga. Boy Meets World creator Michael Jacobs is back as exec producer of the offshoot.

http://tvline.com/2013/01/31/girl-me...ina-carpenter/

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #255
Sawyer
High King

Jon Heder did a pilot for Disney XD? Sounds like his career is RIP.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #256
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

He needs to shake things up and play a drug addict or trash a hotel room or something.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #257
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
This show sounds like the perfect solution to all of the crappy shows about kids/teens.

Honest, real, and fun. Just like BMW was...

So excited.
I agree. I read some of the interviews that come out, and I really can't wait for this to air on TV already.

Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #258
Sawyer
High King

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/04/bo...-pilot-scoops/
Quote:
'Boy Meets World' creator Michael Jacobs gives the scoop on his 'Girl Meets World' pilot
by Nuzhat Naoreen

After months of speculation surrounding the Boy Meets World reboot, Girl Meets World, it seems like the pieces are finally starting to come together. Early last week, EW broke the news that 11-year-old Rowan Blanchard was cast to play the series’ Girl, Riley Matthews. Since then, producers have also filled the spot of Riley’s best friend, Maya (Sabrina Carpenter), and announced the addition of two more roles (including one, Shamus Farkle, who sounds a whole lot like BMW’s resident geek Minkus). So, who else can we expect to see on Girl Meets World? And what will Cory and Topanga be like now that they’re all grown up? Entertainment Weekly spoke to Boy Meets World creator Michael Jacobs, who is exec producing the Girl Meets World pilot for Disney, to get the scoop on what fans of the coming-of-age classic should expect.

On why Girl Meets World almost didn’t happen: When execs at Disney first approached Jacobs with the idea of revisiting Boy Meets World, he promptly nixed the idea. “There’s a natural reticence to want to try and attempt something that you’ve been really lucky enough to do once,” explains Jacobs. But after mulling it over, Jacobs decided that he wanted to create a show for the “new generation of kids that live in a much more difficult world.” The only catch? Jacobs was dead set against doing a sequel, which he felt would amount to nothing more than a reunion show. “A reunion show that’s one and done,” says Jacobs, who instead suggested centering the pilot on Cory and Topanga’s daughter, Riley. “But to actually take the children of Cory and Topanga and watch on two levels [as they] grow up and as Cory and Topanga keep growing up, I can’t resist that. I can’t resist that and I’m very hopeful the audience won’t resist it either.”

On his vision for Girl Meets World: Like its predecessor, Jacobs says he hopes the pilot for Girl Meets World captures “the confusions about growing up and what we are supposed to be and what we are supposed to aspire to be.” As for Jacobs’ own aspirations for the show, he says, “There’s a column that I want to play in and that column contains The Wonder Years and Happy Days. That was always the column that I wanted Boy Meets World to be included in and I want Girl Meets World to be in that column as well.”

On Cory and Topanga as parents: They may have two kids, but don’t expect Cory and Topanga to have it all figured out. “Topanga has always been much more certain that Cory. Cory has always been confused. That would never stop,” says Jacobs, who explains that the long-time sweethearts will have differing points of views on parenting. “Now he’s a father. Cory Matthews doesn’t know how to be a father.” Cory will also be grappling with his decision to become a teacher. “He’s following in the footsteps of [Mr. Feeney], the most influential character in his life,” says Jacobs. “Should he be? Will he succeed? Can he influence children like Feeney influenced children? What is Topanga’s observation of that? How does she help? And what is Topanga’s life? And what has she become? You’ll remember we left the series and they were in Philly and they were going on an adventure to go to New York. Did they succeed? Did it work? All of that will be answered in the pilot.”

On Riley’s personality: Will the youngest Matthews be more like her dad or her mom? Jacobs won’t say, though he will reveal that “she is going to be much more like one than the other but that second parent will pop up in ridiculously unexpected times and places and add to the confusion of who this character is.” As for who she’s isn’t? Jacobs says that Riley will not aspire to be an actress, singer, or dancer as many fans have speculated. “That was never Boy Meets World and it’s the farthest thing that this show will be.”

On whether or not other Boy Meets World cast-members will make an appearance: While Jacobs says many of the supporting characters, including Riley’s brother and her rebellious best friend, will be reminiscent of old favorites like Sean, Eric, and Minkus, he also adds that the door is “wide open” for those originals to make an appearance on the series if the pilot gets picked up. “I think there’s more than a chance,” says Jacobs, who explains that he’s spoken to many of the former cast members and that they’ve all expressed interest in being apart of the project in some capacity. “I think there’s a strong chance,” he says.

On reuniting with Savage and Fishel: Though Jacobs has stayed in touch with both Savage and Fishel, he says reuniting with them for Girl Meets World has been “the greatest possible thing that can happen.” Jacobs, who refers to the actors as his surrogate children, is hoping fans will feel the same. “[Hanging out with them] is gratifying and rewarding and what I’m hopeful for is that there will be a vast audience who wants to hangout with them again as well.”

Pick up next week’s issue of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY to get more scoop on the pilot from Jacobs, and stars, Ben Savage, Danielle Fishel and recently cast Rowan Blanchard. Also, check back on EW.com later this week for our Q+A with Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #259
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

Quote:
On Riley’s personality: Will the youngest Matthews be more like her dad or her mom? Jacobs won’t say, though he will reveal that “she is going to be much more like one than the other but that second parent will pop up in ridiculously unexpected times and places and add to the confusion of who this character is.” As for who she’s isn’t? Jacobs says that Riley will not aspire to be an actress, singer, or dancer as many fans have speculated. “That was never Boy Meets World and it’s the farthest thing that this show will be.”
Yes!

Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #260
Sawyer
High King

Seriously. Not every young Disney star needs to be molded into some triple threat to sell concert tickets.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #261
terry78
Will you shut up?!

Now if it does well and the suits want her to start singing.....

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #262
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Good. The triple threat thing Disney/nick has had going on these past years has become annoying. Not everyone needs to beable to sing/act/dance.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #263
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

That goes with the cross-collateralization of media formats, much like how a movie has to, in addition to sell tickets, have great merchandising sales like with Toys, Games, etc.

I see why TV shows do it. It gives them more outlets for money, but like Sawyer said (ugh), not every actor/actresses need to be that.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #264
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Tv was doing fine before it became big and it will be doing fine without it.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #265
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
That goes with the cross-collateralization of media formats, much like how a movie has to, in addition to sell tickets, have great merchandising sales like with Toys, Games, etc.

I see why TV shows do it. It gives them more outlets for money, but like Sawyer said (ugh), not every actor/actresses need to be that.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #266
Maximus One
Eklypze Is Dead

They are really doing a damn good job of making this sound ****ing great

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #267
TheDreamMaster
Deathtrooper Specialist

Am I the only one that laughed at the comment on Disney Execs are bright and know where a show fits in their line-up, and immediately thought of Tron: Uprising.

TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #268
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It annoys me that on every tweencom that all these characters are trying to be some sort of singer or actress or they are on a TV show or something. It's so unrealistic.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #269
terry78
Will you shut up?!

Or if not they always have some kind of garage band in order to get them singing.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #270
Karelia
Rogue Shadow

The interview with Michael Jacobs got me even more excited for this. I grew up with Boy Meets world, or atleast the reruns on Disney. Still one of my favorite shows ever. It is unique from most other sitcoms for kids, in the fact that it feels more real than a lot of other shows, I'm goad they're keeping the characters real, not cardboard cut outs, in a sense.

Also, I really hope Friedle and Strong come back. As well as the guy who played Jack. Haven't seen most of the original cast on TV in a long time.

Barry Allen is so fast he ran himself back into the friendzone.

We Are Groot
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #271
Sawyer
High King

Cory and Topanga's Son Cast

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #272
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

He almost looks a little like Eric.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #273
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

He does look more like Eric's son.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #274
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
He almost looks a little like Eric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
He does look more like Eric's son.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 03-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #275
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

My god... You don't think that Eric, and her, Sawyer...