The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #726
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Are we too harsh on SM3?

What works about the film works very well. Unfortunately, there is a whole lot that does not.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #727
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

When I think about it now,it would've been better to see Eddie Brock being "in love" with Mary Jane instead of Gwen. Maybe MJ goes to meet Peter at the Bugle one day and she catches Eddie's eye. Brock could actually show up at her show and give her the support that Peter wasn't. When the trouble starts between Peter and MJ,Eddie could try to steal her away. That would actually give Peter more of a reason to be pissed at Brock,especially once Peter gets the black suit. And in the end,instead of Venom kidnapping MJ,he could actually tell Peter than he plans to "console" her once Spider-man is dead. I think having Brock trying to get with MJ would've given more depth to his and Peter's rivalry.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007

Never Forget 9/11/01
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #728
Batsfan1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom75 View Post
When I think about it now,it would've been better to see Eddie Brock being "in love" with Mary Jane instead of Gwen. Maybe MJ goes to meet Peter at the Bugle one day and she catches Eddie's eye. Brock could actually show up at her show and give her the support that Peter wasn't. When the trouble starts between Peter and MJ,Eddie could try to steal her away. That would actually give Peter more of a reason to be pissed at Brock,especially once Peter gets the black suit. And in the end,instead of Venom kidnapping MJ,he could actually tell Peter than he plans to "console" her once Spider-man is dead. I think having Brock trying to get with MJ would've given more depth to his and Peter's rivalry.
That takes so much away from Harry as a character. Which has been tied into the Peter/MJ relationship since the first film.

Batsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #729
Spider-Aziz
Side-Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batsfan1 View Post
That takes so much away from Harry as a character. Which has been tied into the Peter/MJ relationship since the first film.
Agreed to this.

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #730
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I agree. The first movie is solid, and the second is a major upgrade. The third one has flaws, but it's still a good movie to me. Anne is the best part of TDK Rises, but I actually find SM3 more enjoyable as a viewing experience.
I also think Sony constantly had Raimi under the gun. He didn't get to do other projects in between Spider-Man movies like WB allowed Nolan to do with Batman.

It also still angers me with all the money and praise Raimi reaped with the first two Spidey movies, the studio and producers didn't let him make SM-3 his own way. And it shows.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:37 AM   #731
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Just rewatched this. This movie still has some incredible scenes in it,and its first half is actually very good,plot contrivancies notwithstanding. It's after the Black SM vs Sandman battle that it starts going downhill with a couple of terrible scenes that go too OTT and really damage the whole experience. Sam Raimi proved he can still bring heart to a product he ultimately couldn't control in the creative process. SM1 and 2 are classics but this is still a decent conclusion to the trilogy,has incredible action scenes,it still feels lively,there are good character moments and a clear arc for Peter completely missing from the ASM movies. Time has been grateful to SM3 imo.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:43 PM   #732
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

So I'm watching the film now and I have to ask those of you who hate the movie:Are there any scenes,pieces of dialogue or moments that you love? Even if you dislike the film a lot,what parts would you rank as the best in the series or that impress you the most?
And to those of you who love the movie or at least see it in a more positive light:Are there any moments,dialogue or scenes that make you cringe or that you despise,even if you adore the movie?

I've stated my opinion before(love the film,although it does have a lot of flaws)and I won't mention my biggest disappointment with it because it's too obvious(lack of Venom development or screentime),so even after all this time,for me some scenes or moments that I just don't care for are:

-Not a big fan of Mary Jane getting kidnapped and screaming AGAIN. No wonder Kirsten was probably tired of the series by this point. All she seemed to be was bait,or a prize for Spidey/Peter to get. I wish in part 3 they either had Gwen be the one who was kidnapped or just have Spidey fight Venom/Sandman not because they have a hostage,but because he's the hero and it's the right thing to do.

-The jazz club scene. I loved the strutting down the street,but for me that jazz club scene was just too much. I would've much rather seen Peter take Gwen there to make MJ jealous(and maybe even flaunted Gwen in front of Eddie). Maybe done some flirting or some sexy dancing with Gwen,but that whole jumping around on chairs and the,"Dig on this." was a bit too silly.

-The news reporters. It still kinda takes me out of the ending fight. I want to see Spider-man vs. Venom,not these news reporters stating the obvious. And I wasn't a big fan of the crowd there. I understand that Venom/Brock wanted an audience there to witness Spidey's defeat,but some of their supposed "acting" was pretty bad and it once again,took away from the final fight.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007

Never Forget 9/11/01
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #733
The Shape
In the shadows

The scene in your avy is cringe-worthy and awful, for one.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #734
Spider-Aziz
Side-Punch

I'm trying to think of a scene that makes me cringe, because what others find cringeworthy I find so goofy I can't help but laugh at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
The scene in your avy is cringe-worthy and awful, for one.
If I don't find this cringe material on its own, it's combination with the moment Sandman going "Oh $#%^", especially after almost beating the crap out of Spider-Man with a merciless giant fist feeling like "Yeah, I'm killing this mofo as I promised that freak in black with fangs, cause he tried to kill me first."

Oh, and Sandman seeing Spider-Man's face.

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #735
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick

I cringe only at dance scenes. I not like some other scenes but dance ones are only ones cringy.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #736
DX
YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octopus View Post
I cringe only at dance scenes. I not like some other scenes but dance ones are only ones cringy.
Yeah, that's pretty much the point though lol

It's the end of Sony as we know it and I feel GREAT!
DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #737
Batsfan1
Side-Kick

These are tumblr posts from someone about Spider-Man 3. I can't say I disagree.
Quote:
An Analysis Of Spider-Man 3, Part 1: Harry Osborn, His Character Status, Thematic Status And Characterization…

Harry was never meant to be the main villain. There’s no story there. It’s just GG #2 with an added dose of revenge. That’s nothing new and doesn’t bring any new themes or ideas into play. The amnesia has a purpose. It shows us the kind of man he was or would’ve been without this darkening influence on him of his father, and it shows Harry the kind of man he’s capable of being. It also plays into the whole “everyone’s happy until their problems come back to bite them in the butt” aspect of the film. This happens to all the characters. The main ones anyway. For Peter, it’s his guilt and anger at the loss of Uncle Ben. For Mary-Jane, it’s her insecurities and unresolved issues with her father and her sense of self. For Harry, it’s his desire for revenge and unresolved issues with HIS father and HIS sense of self. That’s actually a really good reasoning for Mary-Jane and Harry connect so easily as they do. The amnesia is also something straight out of the comic book. I believe we’re supposed to understand that Harry’s insane. Again, something from the comics: When Norman loses his memory, he becomes sane until a large amount of stress causes another psychotic break and brings back his memories of being the Green Goblin. Harry also doesn’t snap for no reason. The kiss he and Mary-Jane have triggers it, partially. Although it’s never stated, I believe that until then Harry had been living in ignorant bliss of any of his resentful feelings towards Peter. But when the kiss happens and Mary-Jane takes off, because she feels guilty, Harry envies Peter and feels anger and resentment towards him for having something he can’t, which triggers the flood of everything else. I do think Harry’s turn into friend is a little fast, but it’s like Peter says about choice at the end: Harry, now having seen the good man he can be without his father’s influence, CHOOSES to be that. He CHOOSES to be the best version of himself because that’s what’s right and Harry’s knows it. That’s Harry’s arc: Finding a way out of the shadow of his Father. He literally does that to its fullest extent. Where Norman tried to kill Spiderman with his glider and accidentally killed himself, Harry CHOSE to throw himself in front of his glider to save Peter, getting himself killed. He CHOSE to be the best version of himself in that moment: Not Norman Osborn’s son, or even the Green Goblin’s son Goblin Jr., but Harry Osborn Peter’s friend. It’s actually really beautiful. He didn’t die to pay for anything. That’s not what it was about.
Quote:
An Analysis Of Spider-Man 3, Part 2: The Villains, Their Narrative Purpose, Thematic Purpose And Characterization…

The whole point of Sandman is to show how Peter can be a hypocrite in this situation. The whole point is that he was wrong for this. It is to show a villain who is not evil, but is someone who wronged the hero, and how that doesn’t automatically make him evil, or deserving of death. Much like the man who died in SM 1. Flint’s partner was a bad guy. He literally tried to shoot Peter in the face. And Peter was wrong for letting that guy die then too. Him being Uncle Ben’s real killer or not doesn’t make that action right, which again, is the point. Peter is not always in the right. He does wrong things. And makes huge mistakes. Flint’s team up at the end is about how Spiderman’s gotten in his way twice by this point and the only way to stop him from interfering a second time is to take him out.

Eddie shows to be the darker version of Peter, of what Peter could be. Just like Harry sees the good man he could be by losing his memory, Peter literally sees the monster he could be in its physical manifestation in Venom. Eddie, in this movie, doesn’t see how his actions are wrong, much like Peter in a lot of cases in this film. Again, that’s the point: That is bad. And it’s something that exists in Peter as well in this movie: An unwillingness to admit he’s wrong. Again, it emphasizes the simple fact that Peter is not always right.
Quote:
An Analysis Of Spider-Man 3, Part 3: Mary-Jane Watson, Her Characterization, Character Arc and Thematic Purpose...

There’s a common thing against Mary-Jane in these that she’s awful and a bad character. That’s not really true. I’ve seen Spider-Man 3 used as an example for that. There are those that interpret them not liking a character as them being bad. Many female characters get this. I’ve come to the conclusion that women can’t have not nice emotions all the time and can’t have flaws unless they’re cute to some. Her flaws aren’t cute and don’t make her an automatic great girlfriend for Peter and his life as Spider-Man. She’s not fully accepting of the fact that her relationship with him isn’t exactly working because of the responsibilities he has. She doesn’t blame him for this, but she doesn’t like it either. It causes problems in their relationship. Which is kind of the point.

Her poor review: She’s accused of being mean and a swear word in this scene. But Peter is doing what she gets angry at him for doing. Being self absorbed, only concerning himself with his own situation, not taking any time to give any real thought to hers. He makes her situation about his situation and how he triumphs over it. That’s apart of Peter’s character arc in the movie: Him being arrogant and self-centered. She’s in a temperamental place at this point, because her issues with her father are being brought to the surface, so she doesn’t react to this with much patience. They don’t get a chance to have a real conversation about it because he has to go and she doesn’t berate him for it. She just doesn’t say anything, because she wants to have a conversation with her boyfriend, but her boyfriend has a job and he can’t put her ahead of his job to do that.

Her insecurities: This puts Mary-Jane in a bit of an insecure place. No girlfriend wants a boyfriend that’s consumed by his job and doesn’t have time for her, but she can’t tell him that because he has responsibilities that are more important than her problems. She can’t express herself to him because he’s in such a good place and has bigger responsibilities than her and she feels bad because she isn’t and she does want someone to be able to talk to. This is where the counterpoint of her and Peter’s character arcs are: Her insecurity and his arrogance. This leads her to be able to talk to Harry, who is a clean slate for her at the moment. Mary-Jane does get jealous at seeing Peter being adored by the public while she is being rejected from her dream job. It’s a thing that happens with couples when one is more successful than another. It can make you feel like lesser than your mate. People don’t wanna feel like they aren’t good enough like that, especially someone who has already had that feeling for most of their life.

Mary-Jane’s anger: Regardless of this Mary-Jane is supportive of Peter’s accomplishments. She doesn’t want to bring him down. Then Peter cheats on her, which makes her feel even worse about herself. I’ve heard some say that Peter was acting and that he doesn’t get onto her about kissing other guys when she’s acting, so why should she? But Peter isn’t an actor and Gwen isn’t an actress and Gwen wasn’t acting. She was kissing a superhero, along with doing so Peter did this while in the same position as he and MJ were with their kiss. I’ve seen again an argument against her saying that if it was their kiss then why she’d kiss John in a similar way in Spider-Man 2? But she didn’t know it was their kiss at the time because she wasn’t really knowledgeable about Peter being Spider-Man, so she couldn’t view it as anything special between her and Peter. But she doesn’t say anything against him about it and gives him the crap he deserves about it only when she discovers that not only does he have a personal relationship with the girl he cheated on her with that he never told her about, but that she also clearly has a crush on him and one that he obviously knew of himself. He had it coming. So they go on a break, but she goes to him regardless when she’s learns of his Uncle’s killer, and she does the one thing he couldn’t for her: She understands how he feels. And she has got him down to a tee. She knows exactly what he’s out to do: Go out and get himself some reckless stupid selfish vengeance. He blows her off, and she leaves because she can't coddle someone who doesn’t want nor will accept help.

The Harry/Mary-Jane kiss: I’d go against Harry with the kiss before I’d go against MJ. Her and Peter are half-dead in the water and she’s in a messy place emotionally, while he’s not and is in best bud mode with Pete. But I don’t think it’s worth the time. Same with Pete gettin’ hot and heavy in the rain with his supposedly best bud’s girl in Spider-Man 1. All parties involved are to blame. I can’t hate one without hating all. Same goes for Peter trying to break up an engagement after he’s missed his shot in Spider-Man 2. MJ tells him she’s in a relationship, one that’s becoming more than companionship, she gives him a clear opening, and he doesn’t go for it, so she gives him a message that’s even clearer: She’s not waiting anymore, she’s gonna move on. Peter didn’t need to send her signals either after that, but he did. He point blank asked her out, an engaged woman, and she shut him down. The whole situation was unfortunate for everyone involved to be honest. But it’s something that happens all the time, and something that’s not really my place to judge her or Peter on. No matter what though, none of the things that have been listed against her come even close to Peter and Harry’s worst offenses: Actively making choices that they know will hurt or get someone killed in one way or another. Choices that THEY make, no one else. But Mary-Jane gets trashed for her lesser actions, but the male characters don’t really.

Mary-Jane’s character arc: She really does have an interesting arc in this movie that kind of parallels Peter’s from Spider-Man 2. There Peter had to deal with the decision he made at the end of the last movie of being Spider-Man and dismissing anything else in his life. Mary-Jane here has to deal with her decision at the end of Spider-Man 2 of being Spider-Man’s girlfriend and how that effects her as a person. The movie doesn’t really sugarcoat it either. It’s not fun. We see her face her desire to have him when she can’t, his contact with other women, her insecurity at this and how successful he is and even with his life being threatened. She goes through a lot. She would’ve had a more interesting conclusion to her character arc, if there hadn’t been any change at the end of the movie. Originally, Eddie was going to kidnap Gwen and Peter would have gone to Harry for help and Harry would have rejected him. But Mary-Jane would have come and convinced him to help with that speech about forgiveness that was in the trailers, making her the mouthpiece for one of the main themes of the movie. But that got changed. Not to say that getting kidnapped is a bad thing for the character. It doesn’t hurt her as a person and isn’t her fault. She’s not superpowered. She's a regular person. That’s what makes a developed character. But the kidnapping in this case had a bit of a stunting effect on the character in the movie.
God bless you all! God bless everyone!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #738
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much the point though lol
lol I think they were meant to be cringey in funny way but most think they just embarrassing.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #739
Cyrogenic
Giancarlo Stanton

Are people too harsh on Spider-Man 3? In my opinion yes. While the film was a big disappointment for me at the time, 9 years have passed since it came out and a new light has been shed on it. The disappointment I had with it has faded with time and the things that I use to hate about the film no longer bother me. In many ways, it is no better or worse than the first two movies. I find it more entertaining to watch than Spider-Man 2 and it holds up a lot better these days than Spider-Man.

The biggest disappointment for me was not that there was too many characters or storylines in the film, or that Sandman was made to be Uncle Ben's killer, or even that Sam Raimi decided to give Tobey Maguire an emo haircut, it's how the film handled the black suit and Venom. So here three big changes in order improve on this film.

1. Introduce the black suit sooner in the film.

My biggest problem with the film is that it took too long for Peter to finally get the black suit. The symbiote shows up right after Peter and Mary Jane get on the bike and leave near the beginning of the film, yet the symbiote doesn't end up actually attaching to Peter until like almost an hour into the film!

So what would I do? First, I'd have Peter find out that Flint Marko really killed Uncle Ben much earlier in the film. Then have the symbiote attach to him and Spidey wakes and discovers his new suit. This would all happen BEFORE Spider-Man has his first encounter with the Sandman when he is trying to rob money out of the truck.

2. Do more with the black suit.

A lot of people complain that the elements that we expected more seriousness from like the symbiote's effect on Peter was played for laughs. But, I don't think this would have been a problem if the film gave us more serious moments with the symbiote and gave us more action scenes of Spidey wearing the black suit.

So, instead of Spider-Man wearing his regular suit in the action scenes where he has to fight Sandman and has to rescue Gwen Stacy from the crane, He would already be wearing the black suit in those action scenes to better Spidey's increased strength since the symbiote took over him. He would also have had already had the black suit on when Spider-Man has his parade in the city of New York, which would better explain the scene where he is kissing Gwen in front of Mary Jane, which would better show that the symbiote is making Peter Parker's personality change to becoming more cocky and selfish and wouldn't make Peter Parker seem like such a terrible boyfriend.

3. Make Venom actually be like VENOM.

See the Venom in this Spider-Man 3 poster? That is what I wanted to see. THAT IS WHAT WE ALL WANTED TO SEE. That Venom actually looks BADASS. But that is not what Venom was actually like in Spider-Man 3. Sony should have been sued for false advertising.

When I saw this Venom action figure in places like Walmart and Target, this is what my 12-year old self expected to see in the movie. But Venom in Spider-Man 3 did not have the big white spider on his chest and back (at least not to where you can see it), nor did he even have the super long tongue that Venom has ALWAYS had. They could have at least made Venom actually look like Venom. It's not that the film did a bad job with the character or that Topher Grace was a bad choice, I thought Topher Grace did a good job for what he was given. Would I have preferred someone more buff? Sure, but I'm glad that they went with someone who can actually act and was a huge fan of the character and not the Vin Diesel/Dwayne Johnson type. Sam Raimi was going for a more realistic/Mirror of Spider-Man version of Venom and I'm glad he went with that interpretation. A hulk sized Eddie Brock/Venom would have meant that Venom would have to be all CGI and that would have been cheesy and stupid.

Sure the film would have still have had its flaws and critics probably still wouldn't have liked it as much as the first two movies, but if the film at least delivered on the black suit and Venom aspect of the story, I don't think the film would have gotten such a huge backlash like it did and it probably would have made $50-100 million more dollars at the box office.

Cyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #740
Batsfan1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrogenic View Post
Are people too harsh on Spider-Man 3? In my opinion yes. While the film was a big disappointment for me at the time, 9 years have passed since it came out and a new light has been shed on it. The disappointment I had with it has faded with time and the things that I use to hate about the film no longer bother me. In many ways, it is no better or worse than the first two movies. I find it more entertaining to watch than Spider-Man 2 and it holds up a lot better these days than Spider-Man.

The biggest disappointment for me was not that there was too many characters or storylines in the film, or that Sandman was made to be Uncle Ben's killer, or even that Sam Raimi decided to give Tobey Maguire an emo haircut, it's how the film handled the black suit and Venom. So here three big changes in order improve on this film.

1. Introduce the black suit sooner in the film.

My biggest problem with the film is that it took too long for Peter to finally get the black suit. The symbiote shows up right after Peter and Mary Jane get on the bike and leave near the beginning of the film, yet the symbiote doesn't end up actually attaching to Peter until like almost an hour into the film!

So what would I do? First, I'd have Peter find out that Flint Marko really killed Uncle Ben much earlier in the film. Then have the symbiote attach to him and Spidey wakes and discovers his new suit. This would all happen BEFORE Spider-Man has his first encounter with the Sandman when he is trying to rob money out of the truck.

2. Do more with the black suit.

A lot of people complain that the elements that we expected more seriousness from like the symbiote's effect on Peter was played for laughs. But, I don't think this would have been a problem if the film gave us more serious moments with the symbiote and gave us more action scenes of Spidey wearing the black suit.

So, instead of Spider-Man wearing his regular suit in the action scenes where he has to fight Sandman and has to rescue Gwen Stacy from the crane, He would already be wearing the black suit in those action scenes to better Spidey's increased strength since the symbiote took over him. He would also have had already had the black suit on when Spider-Man has his parade in the city of New York, which would better explain the scene where he is kissing Gwen in front of Mary Jane, which would better show that the symbiote is making Peter Parker's personality change to becoming more cocky and selfish and wouldn't make Peter Parker seem like such a terrible boyfriend.
That would take away the point of Peter's character arc in the movie. It's about mainly his own pride and how he has to find his humility and understanding that he's not better than anyone just because he's a superhero. That feeds into the theme of forgiveness. Peter can't forgive the man who killed his Uncle because he's convinced himself that just because he wrong him by killing his Uncle he must be an evil monster, someone devoid of humanity. It's arrogance really. He refuses to see Flint Marko as anything similar to a person, because that would identify him as similar to him. Peter has to gain that humility. He can't gain that if his attitude isn't prompted by himself.
Quote:
3. Make Venom actually be like VENOM.

See the Venom in this Spider-Man 3 poster? That is what I wanted to see. THAT IS WHAT WE ALL WANTED TO SEE. That Venom actually looks BADASS. But that is not what Venom was actually like in Spider-Man 3. Sony should have been sued for false advertising.

When I saw this Venom action figure in places like Walmart and Target, this is what my 12-year old self expected to see in the movie. But Venom in Spider-Man 3 did not have the big white spider on his chest and back (at least not to where you can see it), nor did he even have the super long tongue that Venom has ALWAYS had. They could have at least made Venom actually look like Venom.
He did have a big white spider. It just wasn't a big bright white spider. But it's there.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Old 02-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #741
Zantera
Side-Kick

I re-watched it yesterday (after having seen SM1 and SM2) and I still like it more than I dislike it. It's not as good as 1 or 2, but I would still probably rate it a light 7 out of 10. For me, there are a lot of things that work, and my problems are really more with individual scenes rather than storylines or arcs.

If we start with the bad, then several scenes are pretty tough to watch. Emo-Peter walking down the street and dancing, the scene at the jazz bar when Peter starts dancing, or MJ/Harry having a fun date while also dancing. (Why is there so much dancing in this film?!) Another big problem people have is Sandman being the killer of Uncle Ben all of a sudden. Personally I'm somewhere in the middle. I didn't like that they made him the killer, but I would have been fine if he was involved, but wasn't the killer, but maybe just a getaway driver who freaked out after his partner gunned down an old man, and ran away. I think making him the killer took away a lot of the emotional impact of Peter finding, and being semi-responsible for the killer dying in SM1. With just some re-writes he could still have had a link to the event without them changing the event entirely. It also felt a bit too "america F yeah" at times, like why did he have to run past a huge american flag on his way to the final confrontation?

But if we go to the good stuff, I thought they had set up Harry's arc great over the films, and I thought it was a nice pay-off with him becoming Goblin. Whether or not the costume choice was good or not, I like that they made him different than just using the Goblin costume from SM1, but his design wasn't the best. I also really liked at the end that he did team up with Peter, and seeing that scene for the first time, it really was one of those "raise fist" moments because it was great seeing that teamwork happening. Some things about him losing his memory and later regaining it felt a bit forced, and the way he turns from hating Peter to helping him happened a bit quick, but I still liked the payoff.

Sandman, I think is great. The emotional core of his backstory really worked for me, and that scene when he first goes home and sees his family, that's a really great scene IMO. "I'm not a bad person, I just had bad luck" and how it was delivered was genuinely great and worked for me on the emotional level. They managed to (despite limited time) make Sandman someone you could relate to, something they failed to do with all villains in the TASM-movies IMO. Even though, like I mentioned before, him being the killer of Uncle Ben felt forced, I like that he made peace with Peter in the end, instead of Peter defeating him or taking him out.

Venom was a missed opportunity, but I don't think it was all bad. I think the symbiote worked in the story as a device to screw things up for Peter and make him go down a dark road, it just felt flat in some of the portrayal. Like Peter being emo. While I want the classic Eddie Brock from the comics, I didn't really mind that they made Eddie more of a copy of Peter, and a rival. His role was smaller than I would have liked, and an enemy like Venom deserves a bigger role, but I thought his arc (while) short worked, and eventually paid off.

In short, my main problems are individual scenes and some of the character designs (like Venom and Goblin), and the retconning Ben's death part. But I liked Sandman and his arc, loved the finale and overall enjoyed the film. Even though flawed, Spider-Man 3 still has some great movie making in it. That's my main problem with the TASM films. Marc Webb is no Sam Raimi and they just feel so flat in comparison, whereas Raimi's films have heart, and he knows how to piece a movie together. I also have to bring up the score. Like SM1 and SM2, SM3 just has a great musical score IMO.

Final note, what's the name of that quiet piano-song in the soundtrack? It plays a few times through the movie, like at the end when Sandman talks to Peter, or when Sandman first forms after the accident (I think). I really love that little tune, to me it's one of the best musical pieces in the whole trilogy.

https://parisinthespring.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/parisinthespringmusic
https://www.facebook.com/arcadiaforever/
Zantera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #742
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick

Great post zantera.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #743
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
I re-watched it yesterday (after having seen SM1 and SM2) and I still like it more than I dislike it. It's not as good as 1 or 2, but I would still probably rate it a light 7 out of 10. For me, there are a lot of things that work, and my problems are really more with individual scenes rather than storylines or arcs.

If we start with the bad, then several scenes are pretty tough to watch. Emo-Peter walking down the street and dancing, the scene at the jazz bar when Peter starts dancing, or MJ/Harry having a fun date while also dancing. (Why is there so much dancing in this film?!) Another big problem people have is Sandman being the killer of Uncle Ben all of a sudden. Personally I'm somewhere in the middle. I didn't like that they made him the killer, but I would have been fine if he was involved, but wasn't the killer, but maybe just a getaway driver who freaked out after his partner gunned down an old man, and ran away. I think making him the killer took away a lot of the emotional impact of Peter finding, and being semi-responsible for the killer dying in SM1. With just some re-writes he could still have had a link to the event without them changing the event entirely. It also felt a bit too "america F yeah" at times, like why did he have to run past a huge american flag on his way to the final confrontation?

But if we go to the good stuff, I thought they had set up Harry's arc great over the films, and I thought it was a nice pay-off with him becoming Goblin. Whether or not the costume choice was good or not, I like that they made him different than just using the Goblin costume from SM1, but his design wasn't the best. I also really liked at the end that he did team up with Peter, and seeing that scene for the first time, it really was one of those "raise fist" moments because it was great seeing that teamwork happening. Some things about him losing his memory and later regaining it felt a bit forced, and the way he turns from hating Peter to helping him happened a bit quick, but I still liked the payoff.

Sandman, I think is great. The emotional core of his backstory really worked for me, and that scene when he first goes home and sees his family, that's a really great scene IMO. "I'm not a bad person, I just had bad luck" and how it was delivered was genuinely great and worked for me on the emotional level. They managed to (despite limited time) make Sandman someone you could relate to, something they failed to do with all villains in the TASM-movies IMO. Even though, like I mentioned before, him being the killer of Uncle Ben felt forced, I like that he made peace with Peter in the end, instead of Peter defeating him or taking him out.

Venom was a missed opportunity, but I don't think it was all bad. I think the symbiote worked in the story as a device to screw things up for Peter and make him go down a dark road, it just felt flat in some of the portrayal. Like Peter being emo. While I want the classic Eddie Brock from the comics, I didn't really mind that they made Eddie more of a copy of Peter, and a rival. His role was smaller than I would have liked, and an enemy like Venom deserves a bigger role, but I thought his arc (while) short worked, and eventually paid off.

In short, my main problems are individual scenes and some of the character designs (like Venom and Goblin), and the retconning Ben's death part. But I liked Sandman and his arc, loved the finale and overall enjoyed the film. Even though flawed, Spider-Man 3 still has some great movie making in it. That's my main problem with the TASM films. Marc Webb is no Sam Raimi and they just feel so flat in comparison, whereas Raimi's films have heart, and he knows how to piece a movie together. I also have to bring up the score. Like SM1 and SM2, SM3 just has a great musical score IMO.

Final note, what's the name of that quiet piano-song in the soundtrack? It plays a few times through the movie, like at the end when Sandman talks to Peter, or when Sandman first forms after the accident (I think). I really love that little tune, to me it's one of the best musical pieces in the whole trilogy.
Great post.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #744
Cyrogenic
Giancarlo Stanton

Yes.

It suffered for being a follow up to the massively overrated Spider-Man 2.

Never got the hate for Spider-Man 3 either. I honestly consider it to be of the series. It has the best action, the best score and is the darkest of the three. My only issue with the film was that I thought Topher Grace was miscast as Eddie Brock/Venom, but that is not enough of a reason to hate a movie.

Cyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #745
Andrew Lucas
MIA

This remains as garbage almost ten years later, from OC characters, Sam Raimi's lackluster writing, to wooden acting and overly goofy moments. Even the actors couldn't say their lines straight. Shame.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #746
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick

Spider-Man 3 is better than Amazing Spider-Man movies. People at Sony think so too lol.