The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #451
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Hmm... rather mixed feelings for now.

On the plus side, glad to hear that the film mostly takes place in the 1970s, with the newer characters. Also, the new era, styles, music, social events, possibly Vietnam War and Nixon etc., could be all very very interesting.

On the negative, it's a real big shame to miss out on the character development of the First Class characters with such a gap in time, and the characters dealing with the aftermath of what happened at the end of that film. I just hope that the filmmakers don't go, right we've got the origin stuff out of the way, so they can all be just like their original!versions, i.e. wise Xavier, cold Raven, ruthless Magneto etc. That would be boring as heck. I don't necessarily think that jumping ahead is a catastrophe for characters, as long as they still find something new to explore about them.

I wonder if Erik and Charles met at all during these years, as well?

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 01-30-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #452
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
yeah, Charles and Eric age a bit, but Havok, Banshee and Emma will have a TOTALLY new face by other actors

to recast some actors but others not is one of the worst ideas Ive read on the board in years.

the whole cast of FC is 3 years older now, no need to change half the cast. What's the point of creating a franchise if you change half the cast with each movie?

Exactly.

Anyway, if this 10 year leap business is true, I'd like to think that over the course of a decade that there'd be at least one new member to join the X-Men.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #453
Angamb
Banned User

agree. It would be unrealistic if the school stays the same, with just the same four characters.

10 years would mean many students on the school, not something that I want to see yet, but thats how it WOULD be realistically.

this sequel gets more complex each week

Im starting to think that the possibility of Polaris gets bigger, if Eric is supposed to have around 40 years now.

Last edited by Angamb; 01-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #454
blueserenity
Side-Kick

ELEVEN YEARS later??

This is by FAR the most devastating news to come out yet. I feel like the first couple of years (max, THREE) would be the most crucial to the character development. I want to know how the first few years of Charles' recovery was going, how he moved on from the loss of Raven and Erik, how Erik reacted when he first realized he paralysed Charles, how RAVEN reacted to seeing her brother in a wheelchair, how the first battle between the X-Men and Brotherhood went (because 10 years is too long for them to not fight), how Raven changed from JenLaw Raven to Rebecca Raven.

**** this movie. What a colossal waste.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #455
Sawyer
High King

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm quite intrigued.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #456
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
ELEVEN YEARS later??

This is by FAR the most devastating news to come out yet. I feel like the first couple of years (max, THREE) would be the most crucial to the character development. I want to know how the first few years of Charles' recovery was going, how he moved on from the loss of Raven and Erik, how Erik reacted when he first realized he paralysed Charles, how RAVEN reacted to seeing her brother in a wheelchair, how the first battle between the X-Men and Brotherhood went (because 10 years is too long for them to not fight), how Raven changed from JenLaw Raven to Rebecca Raven.

Wow.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #457
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post

Wow.
Yeah yeah forgive me for wanting an actual SEQUEL to First Class. It's a shame that I'm one of the few on this board who is more interested in that factor than the fact that they're bringing back some old faces from a dead trilogy.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #458
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I'd have liked to see that too, blueserenity, but realistically all this stuff was never a priority, and was only going to happen if it fit the story they wanted to tell. It was never going to be just a character-driven follow-up to FC to see how everyone is doing.

I think also that it can still be a sequel to FC without being an immediate sequel.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #459
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
ELEVEN YEARS later??

totally feel u.

All the development the creative team could do with the characters of FC wouldnt make sense 10 years later.

Charles starting to live without his legs, his first steps as a proffesor, who is the very first new student, the very first mission of Mystique with the brotherhood, how Eric and Emma start working together, the first words between Raven and Azazel, Hank dealing with his new form...

ALL of this would be out on a 10 years after sequel

As much as I want to see the evolution of the FC cast during next decades, this is a sad decision.

Its like to have X1 and no X2. Just a sequel 10 years later with a different roster of characters and a 10 years difference on ALL the relationships

Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #460
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Yeah yeah forgive me for wanting an actual SEQUEL to First Class. It's a shame that I'm one of the few on this board who is more interested in that factor than the fact that they're bringing back some old faces from a dead trilogy.
Because X-Men/X2 and First Class are totally mutually exclusive and have to stay that way.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #461
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

there must be a reason behind setting it 10 years later, maybe they want to make a 3rd set in the 80s?

and would they really recast some of the actors so they look like 10 year older versions of the first class team? could the actors who play banshee and havok in first class pass for 10 years older? if not who is gonna be part of the new xmen team?

giving that it says most of the film will be set in the 70s i hope its not gonna be all the original trilogy guys time traveling as it sounds abit silly but hey who knows

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Manage Your Expectations.)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #462
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I'd have liked to see that too, blueserenity, but realistically all this stuff was never a priority, and was only going to happen if it fit the story they wanted to tell. It was never going to be just a character-driven follow-up to FC to see how everyone is doing.
I know, in my heart of hearts I just would have loved to have seen another character-driven sequel where it was exactly that-- see how everyone is doing. I knew that wasn't possible but I assumed they wouldn't go past 5 years into the future. The whole point of this new angle, I thought, was that it was really exploring the BEGINNINGS of the characters. Charles starting his school, Erik figuring out how to lead the group that sided with his mother's killer (both beginnings we will now never see). FC left a lot of major questions unanswered and needed a sequel to bridge the gap. The biggest two, I felt at least, were

1) How does Raven go from insecure to heartless and 2) what was the very first battle between the X-Men and Brotherhood over, and what was it like? Did Prof X let the Brotherhood get away with a bunch of minor stuff and then hit his breaking point, or was he waiting outside with his small team when they busted out Emma? Did Charles even participate or did he just send in the boys and wait back at home? Did Raven opt out of the fight, or did she pull punches?

The core of FC was the relationships between the characters. Erik and Charles' doomed friendship/brotherhood/relationship. Charles and Raven's complicated sibling relationship. Raven's lost romance with Hank. Hank and Alex's friendship. The boys' relationship with Charles as a mentor, and with Erik as something of a secondary mentor.

Angamb said it well; what on earth was the point of FC if its sequel happens so much later that all those relationships become irrelevant, with some of those characters (Alex, Sean) possibly not returning at all? The thing that set FC apart from previous X-Men films was its dedication to characters over powers and action sequences. It was an element that was highly praised. And now we're going back to old habits instead? This was a good chance to move on from the old trilogy and inspire something new. So much for that pipe dream.

Last edited by blueserenity; 01-30-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #463
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

they could still give raven and charles a scene together even if it is 10 years as abit of development, i doubt singer would totally forget all these things

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Manage Your Expectations.)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #464
The_Shadow
Side-Kick

So is anyone actually going to do the casting call?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #465
marvelrobbins
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

bryan Singer back In 2011 hinted at jumping to 1970's as did Lauren Shueller
Donnor.The main purpose of this film Is to adopt days of future Past not followup
the immedate aftermath of first Class.The lowest grossing X-men film.

Placing story In watergate era allows for some Intrigue.

We could see Beast,Havoc,and Banshee as X-Men but see non X-Men students.Bryan could deicde to keep It that way so not to add any more conflict to the Cyclops,Storm,and Jean were some of my first students line.If Bryan wants to connect dots as he mentioned it's even possable for a young Jason and william stryker.SO to see onscreen how Xavier was working with Jason and how william pulled him from school.

People wanting to see the classic Sentinles disengrate wolverine on screen cheer up.If Xavier changing minds between patrick Stewert and James Mcavoy Is time travel then you may get your chance since Bryan said some of cool moments from comic version DoFP will be In film.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #466
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
1) How does Raven go from insecure to heartless
I'd be willing to be that they'll still explore this in DOFP. Jennifer Lawrence is playing Raven. I'm sure she'll get screen time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity
Angamb said it well; what on earth was the point of FC if its sequel happens so much later that all those relationships become irrelevant, with some of those characters (Alex, Sean) possibly not returning at all? The thing that set FC apart from previous X-Men films was its dedication to characters over powers and action sequences. It was an element that was highly praised. And now we're going back to old habits instead? This was a good chance to move on from the old trilogy and inspire something new. So much for that pipe dream.
I don't see how you can say Singer's X-Men films put action over character development. Most people would say the exact opposite actually.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #467
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

wow, didn't expect so much spazzing just because the move is set a decade later. personally, i'm fine with it.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #468
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Shadow View Post
So is anyone actually going to do the casting call?
I would if I lived in Montreal (I'm in Toronto). I'm sort of sporting a 70s look right now, particularly with the sideburns.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #469
JP
Smelly

The thing is, Xavier and Magneto are already grown men. So they will look pretty much the same after 11 years. Havok and Banshee are teenagers. Recasting only those two wouldn't be drastic.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #470
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Well I don't think that the relationship between Erik and Charles will become irrelevant. We see it continue even in the original trilogy where there's clearly respect and connection despite everything else. Also, I don't think that Charles/Raven relationship would necessarily become irrelevant or that Raven will just appear in the sequel as original!Mystique MK II.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #471
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well I don't think that the relationship between Erik and Charles will become irrelevant. We see it continue even in the original trilogy where there's clearly respect and connection despite everything else. Also, I don't think that Charles/Raven relationship would necessarily become irrelevant or that Raven will just appear in the sequel as original!Mystique MK II.
You're right, it will never be irrelevant. But I really would have liked to see where the breaking point was for both of them, when they stopped pulling punches and really became enemies. I feel like 10+ years after Cuba they'll just be flat-out enemies and that's difficult for me to accept.

Raven will likely not be Mystique 2.0 by the opening credits of this. I know that, but at the same time 10 years is a lot of time for her to start really heading on that path and it's something we need clearly explained. For me at least it's the most baffling discrepancy of the two timelines. She's two completely different characters.

Speaking of characters and ruthless, I was reading something really interesting. Apparently in Singer's original version of X2, Magneto went back and saved Charles from the reverse-Cerebro instead of leaving him there to die. The studio demanded he change it to prevent audiences from "sympathizing with the villain" (they also felt it was "too romantic"). I wonder if Singer keeps Magneto sympathetic or if he is kind of shoehorned into making him more ruthless.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #472
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Exactly. I don't really get the complaints. We know so much about Xavier and Erik thanks to FOUR movies with them. We don't need to see every detail, so we don't lose anything by skipping years.

At the end of the day, it's still a First Class sequel. Hollywood Reporter says the future scenes are small, and now this casting notice says the film will take place mostly in the past. I don't see why the First Class enthusiast are so upset.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #473
marvelrobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
The thing is, Xavier and Magneto are already grown men. So they will look pretty much the same after 11 years. Havok and Banshee are teenagers. Recasting only those two wouldn't be drastic.
I agree.Beast,Mystique,and Azarel are under makeup.

Kinda hard for first Class actors to pass for almost 30 year old havok and banshee.Bryan might take the opportunity to recast Emma.And he has cover
If he didn't like pick of january Jones.Although It's still possable she comes
back.

Xavier may be bald when film opens so that would help sell james Mcavoy as
older.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #474
marvelrobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Exactly. I don't really get the complaints. We know so much about Xavier and Erik thanks to FOUR movies with them. We don't need to see every detail, so we don't lose anything by skipping years.

At the end of the day, it's still a First Class sequel. Hollywood Reporter says the future scenes are small, and now this casting notice says the film will take place mostly in the past. I don't see why the First Class enthusiast are so upset.
I seriously doudt at least 6 OT actors(and those are only those confirmed) will be glorified cameos.Now future scenes may only take up 30-40 minutes of film
and 1973 scenes take hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes.

from what we have learned this week I am becoming Increasly convinced the time travel will be Xavier switching minds between younger and older versions.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #475
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

"Too romantic"? LOL!

I think that the Cuban beach *was* the breaking point for Erik and Charles. Their ideological differences do make them enemies, after that the actual starting of the fighting is pretty much inevitable and a pure formality IMO. Would it have been good to see their first clash, yes, but I don't think there'd be anything game-changing about it.

I don't think they were ever flat-out enemies though, even in the original trilogy. That to me suggests that there's nothing else in the mix except the enemy-ship, and here it's clearly much more than that.

Closed Thread