The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #201
Galactus10
Devourer Of Worlds

Default Re: Jordan Peele to Get Out!

Been waiting to see this for a long time but for an assortment of reasons just got around to it.

I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a damn good movie- clever, well-acted, nuanced, good technically, had something to say, etc. etc.

The internet is probably what made it lesser than what I expected; everywhere I was reading in regards to this movie was fawning all over it as some generational type of genius which I didn't really think it was.

Being a big Jordan Peele fan and knowing how creative he is, reading that there was some mind-blowing ending that turns the premise on its head is what I was expecting. Well, it wasn't really all that surprising to me. I guess maybe I'm jaded from both knowing a little too much about movies before seeing them and also the dynamics of race relations in modern times (i.e. black Youtubers) but I wasn't really blown away once we learned the truth.

I liked the movie a lot but once the Sunken Zone was introduced, I thought the ending would bring back that concept in some grandiose, dimensional bending finale and ultimately it was just a polished, culturally relevant reveal of somehting not all that unique.

Still a more than solid 8/10 movie.

Galactus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #202
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Is the movie being promoted in foreign territories? that is a frequent criticism of the studios that they assume "black films" won't sell outside of the USA and so they don't bother trying to promote elsewhere...

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #203
Wylie Times
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
Is the movie being promoted in foreign territories? that is a frequent criticism of the studios that they assume "black films" won't sell outside of the USA and so they don't bother trying to promote elsewhere...
It made $18 million overseas.

It's a chicken and egg thing...Studios claim black movies don't sell overseas so they don't promote them heavily, but if they're not promoted heavily how the hell are they going to sell?

I'm not even sure HOW they'd promote this film overseas, because a big part of the film is about American racial issues and dynamics. It can be enjoyed beyond that, but promoting that has to be a bit difficult overseas.

That's why so many eyes are going to be on Black Panther. It'll be the first film with a predominantly Black cast to get such a huge budget and will (hopefully) get a proper marketing push. If it does well, studios can no longer claim that "Black movies don't sell overseas". There isn't a single huge star in the movie, and it's not a very well known property.

Wylie Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #204
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
At it's base it's a thriller-comedy about race relations, but I don't know how this will play to UK audiences.

With something like Hot Fuzz, it was making fun of action movies in general. This might be a bit too Americanized that it will play flat. IDK.
As a Black British guy I felt there were certainly some similar race relations issues. The weird inappropriate racial comments by white strangers you just meet is something I've experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
Really liked this film. Very impressive directorial debut. I wasn't familiar with Daniel Kaluuya and thought he was great and totally carried the film. I also like how between this and Cabin in the Woods, Bradley Whitford is carving himself a nice little place in modern horror films. Great performances all around, I dug Stephen Root too, I like when comedians do horror or drama lol.
Daniel Kaluuya in this reminded me a little of his role as Tea Leaf in BBC comedy Psychoville

Old 05-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #205
Blackman
C'mon Son

Anyone see the alternate ending yet

Glad they went with what we got in the film

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #206
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

The alternate ending was the ending I expected the movie to have when the cop car showed up.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #207
Blackman
C'mon Son

It was what I was expecting too. But as I said, I'm glad they went the other route.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #208
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

I am so glad they went with the theatrical ending. Boy, that alternate ending would have been depressing as f*** even though it ultimately could have made the film an ounce better from a social commentary standpoint.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #209
terry78
Will you shut up?!

The alternate ending is how a sketch on the Key and Peele show would've ended. The darkly satirical.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #210
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
The alternate ending is how a sketch on the Key and Peele show would've ended. The darkly satirical.
And I think that's why it would've worked better within a sketch since it's so brief. But after a whole, film it was just

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 AM   #211
DeadStroke
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I wonder if his next film ends this way.

with a good heart
But it's hard--
for a good man--
to be a king.
DeadStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #212
DeadStroke
Side-Kick

Jeff Sneider‏Verified account @TheInSneider 4h4 hours ago
More
BREAKING: Universal Pictures’ UNTITLED JORDAN PEELE PROJECT will be released on Friday, March 15, 2019.

with a good heart
But it's hard--
for a good man--
to be a king.
DeadStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #213
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStroke View Post
I wonder if his next film ends this way.
This alternate ending will probably be on the blu ray release of Get Out. There is zero chance he'll turn around and use the same ending for his next film.

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote