The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #951
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Well, this is NY. It's like the cab capital of the world. Unless things have changed. Haven't been back there in awhile.
Uber and Lift are taking over now practically everyone. Especially among teens.

But yes, there's things like that about the show now that
(unfortunately) are dated. Cabs instead of ubers, teens calling each other more than texting, not enough social media presence (I wouldn't have expected a facebook namedrop but there's no comments like "I posted that pic of us on the internet" being made), and possibly not enough superhero craze among the cast? I'm not as confident on that last one. Again, I wouldn't have expected mentions to specific films, but I feel comments like "hey wanna check out that new superhero film?" would be made by most young people post-2012. Then again maybe it's just the circles I hang out in.

The good news is the show has some of that timeless feel BTAS had. They didn't mix the eras like Bruce Timm did, but they seemed careful to not freeze the show in the 2000s. There's no cultural references or specific slangs used, the dialogue is generic in the good way.

That and the simplicity of the art helps. That's something I noticed while I was rewatching. At no point did I go "wait that's clearly a 2008 Honda" or "oh they don't have Androids". It's barely noticeable they have phones with buttons.

It does however beg a question: at what point does it become impossible to revive the show (comic, film, whatever) without the first two seasons becoming a loose continuity like in 616?

Last edited by Shikamaru; 07-17-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #952
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Uber and Lift are taking over now practically everyone. Especially among teens.

But yes, there's things like that about the show now that
(unfortunately) are dated. Cabs instead of ubers, teens calling each other more than texting, not enough social media presence (I wouldn't have expected a facebook namedrop but there's no comments like "I posted that pic of us on the internet" being made), and possibly not enough superhero craze among the cast? I'm not as confident on that last one. Again, I wouldn't have expected mentions to specific films, but I feel comments like "hey wanna check out that new superhero film?" would be made by most young people post-2012. Then again maybe it's just the circles I hang out in.

The good news is the show has some of that timeless feel BTAS had. They didn't mix the eras like Bruce Timm did, but they seemed careful to not freeze the show in the 2000s. There's no cultural references or specific slangs used, the dialogue is generic in the good way.

That and the simplicity of the art helps. That's something I noticed while I was rewatching. At no point did I go "wait that's clearly a 2008 Honda" or "oh they don't have Androids". It's barely noticeable they have phones with buttons.

It does however beg a question: at what point does it become impossible to revive the show (comic, film, whatever) without the first two seasons becoming a loose continuity like in 616?
Ahh ok. I've not been back to NY in probably 6 years so you'd know better than me. TSSM is set in the 'present' day so you can't avoid everything that could cause 'dating' issues for the show. Tech is always on the move.

But like you say, I do agree there's also a timeless feel to the show thanks in part to the simplified designs--even at the time the show came out the designs were not conventional, but also thanks to the writing. The dialogue doesn't rely on modern slang save for maybe the whole Bro stuff. And of course the show was made with a classic and iconic approach thanks to the philosophies of Weisman and Cook.

The only pop culture reference I can think of was the whole, "am I being punked?"

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #953
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I don't live in NY so I wouldn't know . I live in Toronto though and every Millennial here uses Uber (no one I know uses cabs), so I can't imagine New York is too different.

Also this isn't dated per se, but it's interesting how dated Greg's perception of Marvel is by now. He said in this universe the FF were around, the X-Men were just taking off, and Ant-Man and Hulk were rogue...damn, how times have changed. That's not at all how the MU's prioritized today. There was no mention of Iron Man or the Avengers anywhere on AskGreg. It reminds me of an old Lee/Ditko comic that called Spider-Man "the greatest superhero since the Fantastic Four."

I wonder if he would've still stuck by that timeline if the show debuted today.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #954
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

I actually admire that he chose to go Silver Age with the way he adapted the story. I think even with Young Justice his take was more Silver Age than modern or even 80s material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
Now, while we've talked about villains, and even supporting and secondary characters. However what would you say about Peter himself? For a 16 year old, Peter is generally pretty mature for his age in this series... most of the mistakes he did make I could see college aged people making... was he perhaps TOO mature for someone in his age range? Most other teenage iterations of Spider-Man that I've seen (with possibly the exception of the original, but that was quite a different time period compared to more modern times), you could tell they were essentially young kids trying to do the right thing, but here I feel there is a bit of a feeling of maturity he exhibits here. The fact that college aged Betty Brant (20) was even thinking of entertaining him by going to his little school dance speaks volumes.
That's a well made analysis, and it reminds me of how I once said that the early comics Peter Parker is more mature than BND take on the character.

YOUTUBE
You are so adorable.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd.
What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #955
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I don't live in NY so I wouldn't know . I live in Toronto though and every Millennial here uses Uber (no one I know uses cabs), so I can't imagine New York is too different.

Also this isn't dated per se, but it's interesting how dated Greg's perception of Marvel is by now. He said in this universe the FF were around, the X-Men were just taking off, and Ant-Man and Hulk were rogue...damn, how times have changed. That's not at all how the MU's prioritized today. There was no mention of Iron Man or the Avengers anywhere on AskGreg. It reminds me of an old Lee/Ditko comic that called Spider-Man "the greatest superhero since the Fantastic Four."

I wonder if he would've still stuck by that timeline if the show debuted today.
Oh haha, well maybe someone that lives in NY can chime in on the prevalence of cabs these days

I think it's very much a lightning in a bottle situation with this show. For instance Greg wanted to use Johnny Storm and Kingpin but wasn't allowed to because of rights issues. Had he been able to do those things we wouldn't have gotten the great storyline with Tombstone nor the show being praised as a Spidey solo show. Greg also talked about having Ben be a fan of Captain America and there was a trunk full of CA memorabilia in their attic. Greg wanted to have Peter in a flashback remembering how Ben was such a fan and them talking about his collection, etc. But again, rights issue.

Between the rights issues and the strained relationship with Sony and Marvel--those things contributed to how the show turned out. I still think Greg would've wanted to do the show with the same classic approach, Lee/Ditko era, but I seriously doubt it would've come to pass. The animation owned by Disney and the team up nature of shows these days, I just have a hard time seeing Greg's vision becoming a reality. At least not how TSSM is currently. It probably still would've been a great adaptation for the character but without that classic feel.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #956
Mistah K88
Side-Kick

I'm curious if those restrictions were the catalysts behind never creating an original character. After learning that they couldn't use a good chunk of the Marvel universe (even some Spider-Man characters like Kingpin [Sorry everyone, to me he's a Spidey baddie, Daredevil has his own rogues and crime bosses]), they decided that they would actually have to research characters they had the rights to and decided to only use characters from comic books while in the midst of research.

Even characters as minor as the Vault warden had to be from a comic book, no matter how little he actually appeared (you could see from a previous page in this thread Officer Resnick was introduced and killed off relatively quick in comics, so it didn't matter how minor they were). They also didn't solely stick to just 616 and Ultimate, as we have characters like Mayor Waters (although gender bent) in the show.

I will definitely agree that with the team up/guest star angle we have (in ALL of the Marvel cartoons) nowadays, it would probably be a wildly different show if it were introduced today. It would still be good mind you, but I'm sure it wouldn't have had the impact on me that it did. It has a good mix of simplicity and intricacy. It's kind of how I feel about this show in comparison to something like Young Justice, the show is GREAT, Incredible even, but I was never as invested as I was for this show. I honestly don't know why... (granted YJ is NOT kind to Batman villains, and he and his world being my favorite fictional comic book universe).

Mistah K88 is offline   Reply With Quote