The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Default Marvel Films create some brand-new concepts

I'd like to see Marvel films create some brand-new concepts for films and TV, and have those characters eventually make their way into the comics. It has already happened with Agent Phil Coulson, so there is some precedent for this. It can happen again.

Hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Marvel Films create some brand-new concepts

I think that this is unavoidable, the minds behind the movies will allways get new ideas and use them on the movies, i just hope they aren't bad new concepts.

Another new concept introduced was J.A.R.V.I.S.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
bkong0
Side-Kick

Sure, it'll happen. Just like stuff from the Ultimates universe affected the movies/regular universe/cartoons (Coulson in the Spider-Man series). They'll adapt to whatever works.

bkong0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I'm very worried that they'll be so many new concepts that the comics will be based on the films

Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Spider‐Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I'm very worried that they'll be so many new concepts that the comics will be based on the films
Yup.

Spider‐Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

there are WAY too many cool characters/concepts to pull from with out creating new ones.

a secondary character like Coulson is one thing and I was fine with him, but I don't want to see new "Marvel" heroes created for the screen - not when guys like the Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, Black Panther, the Inhumans, etc., etc., etc. are untapped...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
metaphysician
Side-Kick

There's also the middle ground case: existing characters and concepts that are reworked and reinvented so heavily for the movie or TV adaptation, that they might as well be new characters. I suspect we will get some more of those over time.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I think throwing in a new well-written minor villain, like BTAS did with Harley Quinn, would be pretty cool...

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #9
coxcojudy

how could we say Marvel films is not good, they've already produced tons of awesome films

coxcojudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #10
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

As with anything, I think there's a balance. Creating a character like Coulson was great and worked well, but he was still a rather minor character. Personally I like to think of the MCU as a completely separate verse, like Ultimates. while it uses the comics as source material, I hope it continues to do its own thing as well instead of following too closely. Some new backgrounds, new relationships; they have the opportunity, so why not use it? I don't think the films should really influence the books, though, unless they want to make another new universe to play in. Let the books be the books and the movies the movies, that way everybody wins.

Sneakronicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Whiplash is a good example striking a balance - a lot of his visuals were new to me, but his name and back story were at least based upon existing villains and characters. Sure they rolled him in with Crimson Dynamo - and really dropped the ball at the end by not having his body armor be at least primer red [get it?] - but at least they were not just starting from scratch.
With over 50 years of history and characters to pull from, why would you not start with the books and go from there...reworking when and as needed...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
there are WAY too many cool characters/concepts to pull from with out creating new ones.

a secondary character like Coulson is one thing and I was fine with him, but I don't want to see new "Marvel" heroes created for the screen - not when guys like the Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, Black Panther, the Inhumans, etc., etc., etc. are untapped...
Except there are many comic book characters who were created in other media and were introduced into the comics later on: Harley Quinn, Firestar, X-23 etc. So is there anything wrong with those characters or can there be a benefit to introducing new characters in other media?

The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
Nelson/Murdock
Attorneys at Law

It will always be a give-and-take when it comes to crossing over media. When you create something that an audience likes, that's all that matters.

Without non-comic sources, we might not have Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, or kryptonite.

Nelson/Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote