The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 09-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #576
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Liverpool now 2-1 up and missed a penalty! (Firmino)

Could be a good day for PL clubs.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #577
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Ronaldo gets a 2nd from a pen, 2-0.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #578
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Draw for Liverpool and an easy win for City in the end.

DeadPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #579
B
[insert witty comment]

Very important win that for Tottenham, given their group they simply must win all their 'home' games if they want to stand a chance of getting out of it.

City cruised as well, scored early & after that first goal Feyenoord quit.

Poor result for Liverpool, didn't see any of the game but from the sounds of it once they'd pulled back & took the lead they really should have killed the game off. Still expect them to qualify comfortably as their group, on paper, is arguably the easiest of all the British teams.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #580
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Given a draw in the other game, not the worst result in the world for us.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #581
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
Draw for Liverpool and an easy win for City in the end.
That penalty miss cost them. I had a feeling it might.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #582
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Dortmund must feel screwed after that non-goal.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #583
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Dortmund must feel screwed after that non-goal.
Was it an even game between the 2?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #584
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Was it an even game between the 2?
Dortmund was kind of kicking their asses, just couldn't score. When they tied it 2-2, it was wrongly called back for offside.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #585
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Dortmund was kind of kicking their asses, just couldn't score. When they tied it 2-2, it was wrongly called back for offside.
Oh right, bad luck for them then. And Spurs need all the luck they can get in this group.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #586
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Good match between Spurs and Dortmund tonight, I thought Dortmund were a bit unlucky due to the two offside goals, one of which was definitely the wrong call, but they were defensively poor and Spurs capitalized well and should have routed them on the counter if they'd been a bit more clinical. Dortmund need a new keeper though, and Pulisic really is shaping up as one of the best young talents in the game right now.

It was a huge result for Spurs given this Wembley hoodoo stuff, and to get 3 points at home from the first game was vital against such a good team in such a tough group, this sets them up with a good chance of qualifying, and it was good to see Kane step up on the CL stage.

Quote:
I know it's early for this kind of talk, but fitness permitting, I kind of fancy Mourinho's tactical abilities against a large majority of the CL field (Barcelona, Madrid and PSG perhaps notwithstanding), you think we've got a semi-final spot in us?
If you'd asked me this 6 weeks ago I'd have laughed lol, but the team is looking confident and strong, I think if we avoid the 2 Spanish giants and our English counterparts I think a Semi final isn't out of the question, I don't think Bayern are in sync this season and PSG are no doubt flash in attack but I still don't fancy them mentally, while I'd take Jose against any of the teams from Serie A.

Quote:
I always think of Mourinho's approach with Inter, where he ground out wins in the CL just by neutralizing all assets the opposition had and managed to sneak some goals because he had a couple of crafty guys to convert chances. I doubt we'll win the competition, but I feel like we've got some good tools in the squad that stack up well against almost all the competitors up to a certain point.
This would have to be the approach I reckon, I don't think this side is ready to go toe to toe with the best attacking units, my one concern is that Mourinho had 3 players in that Inter team that he could really rely on for counter attacks, I don't see that in this current United side.

Quote:
Ah okay - I see. Yeah, the number still doesn't make complete sense, it seems a little ways off considering the prices for Lukaku and Matic particularly, unless we got more for Schneiderlin and Memphis than initially thought, perhaps there deals also have big bonuses attached that make up part of the calculation. I'm surprised Memphis was only £14m to be honest, I would've thought United would recoup his entire price.
There are add-ons for both Memphis and Schneiderlin, but I don't know if they've been cashed in yet or if they are counted as inevitable by whoever puts these figures out there, but even with that I think there must be some other factor that makes our number so low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
Yep,Messi and Mascherano are fairly close with Maxi.

Came close to scoring in the 2nd half but ball hit the crossbar,did assist in the opening goal of the game though

Was he the one delivering the cross in that gif? It was a good opening win for Sporting, Jorge Jesus is an interesting manager that gets the most out of his sides.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #587
Kaleb
Devil of Hells Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Was he the one delivering the cross in that gif? It was a good opening win for Sporting, Jorge Jesus is an interesting manager that gets the most out of his sides.
Yes that's him,Sporting played really well in the first half, probably could have been up 5-0 by HT.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:17 AM   #588
extra skater
Side-Kick

Coys!!!!!!!!!!

extra skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #589
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

So it seems like United will be without Pogba for around a month to six weeks which is a little bit of an issue considering the high number of fixtures.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #590
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
So it seems like United will be without Pogba for around a month to six weeks which is a little bit of an issue considering the high number of fixtures.
Oh damn, hopefully that doesn't ruin your momentum.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #591
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Yeah it definitely isn't ideal - I suspect it means Herrera slots straight into that spot but Pogba's ability on the ball and strong dribbling will be missed. It does make the decision to loan Pereira and Fosu-Mensah even more conspicuous, now, though. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is recalled at some stage during the season.

In other news, Everton are being absolutely hammered by Atalanta in the EL, currently 3-0 down.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #592
DarthSkywalker

Jose didn't want to loan Pereira if I remember correctly. At least some of the time Pogba is out, we got an international break. That is good.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #593
Iceman
Infinity War!

Herrera is a good person to come in even if he's missing some of Pogba's best attributes.

And that's good that the international break will cushion the blow.

In other news, another international break? **** off!!

Old 09-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #594
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Yeah these breaks are terrible…I really despise them.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #595
DarthSkywalker

I am with both of you, but I guess if I have to sit through another one of those, at least it will be during Pogba's recovery.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #596
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Well, at least we played well again!

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Wonder Woman-9(6)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(7)It-8(8)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(9)John Wick 2-8(10)Split-8(11)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(12)Alien Covenant-7(13)Ghost In The Shell-7(14)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(15)The Dark Tower-4(16)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #597
Iceman
Infinity War!

Arsenal's game delayed over crowd problems.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #598
DarthSkywalker

Do you know what the crowd problems were Iceman? Also Arsenal down 0-1.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #599
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
If you'd asked me this 6 weeks ago I'd have laughed lol, but the team is looking confident and strong, I think if we avoid the 2 Spanish giants and our English counterparts I think a Semi final isn't out of the question, I don't think Bayern are in sync this season and PSG are no doubt flash in attack but I still don't fancy them mentally, while I'd take Jose against any of the teams from Serie A.
Yeah, we do seem to look rather solid. I do have to admit I think Lindelof, once he's acclimated, will be a really great partner to Bailly - Jones and Smalling get the job done but for serious competition I think the other two will eventually be first choice. Yeah, missing the big ones will be necessary - but I do think Mourinho can tactically neutralize some of the best.

Quote:
This would have to be the approach I reckon, I don't think this side is ready to go toe to toe with the best attacking units, my one concern is that Mourinho had 3 players in that Inter team that he could really rely on for counter attacks, I don't see that in this current United side.
Hmm, it's possible, but I'm not sure we've seen the best. Lukaku, Rashford, Martial and Mkhitaryan make for a serious counter-attacking unit. I'd say we need to come up against a serious side and see how we cope then, but I could see us hurting the best in the league.

Quote:
There are add-ons for both Memphis and Schneiderlin, but I don't know if they've been cashed in yet or if they are counted as inevitable by whoever puts these figures out there, but even with that I think there must be some other factor that makes our number so low.
Ah okay - fair enough, then it may add something. I agree with the bolded though.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #600
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Do you know what the crowd problems were Iceman? Also Arsenal down 0-1.
Apparently about 20k Cologne fans despite only 2.9k away tickets. Quite a few troublemakers amongst them causing issues with stewards and police inside and outside the ground. Sounds like a fair few fans got tickets in the Arsenal end too. I don't know how it all ended though, that's just what I heard in the lead up to and start of the match.

Looks like the game ended 3-1 to Arsenal which is good at least, I didn't see it.

Last edited by Iceman; 09-14-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote