The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 09-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #526
BlackFox
Red

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Decent win tonight, job done, hard to get too carried away given the level of opposition and the sting in the tail is the loss of Pogba which could harm us over the next few weeks, we are back to a team with Fellaini and Lingard in it again and our lack of quality in depth is going to be tested fully over the following weeks if Pogba is out for any sustained amount of time but we shall see. Decent start at least and winning is a good habit.

"Dont be what they made you"
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #527
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

I want Jose to plug Herrera into the Pogba spot while he is out. Don't change anything else.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #528
BlackFox
Red

Yeah its a choice between him and Fellaini, not a great choice but you know what your getting with both, Jose might prefer the physical side of Fellaini against Everton, hes clearly a fan and can do a certain job. On the plus side Lukaku is looking and must be feeling like the real deal now.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #529
DarthSkywalker

All good points Fox.

On another note, Young looked good today. A legit threat attacking from the FB position.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #530
BlackFox
Red

He did the one thing that Valencia struggles with and thats a consistantly decent ball into the box, however Im not sure I would trust his defensive side against a quality winger like a Mane or Sane for example but at least we know he can produce something useful against the right opposition and is an option. He did as well as anyone tonight so kudos to him for that.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #531
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Yeah the loss of Pogba is an unfortunate one, but I feel like a midfield three of Matic, Herrera and Mkhitaryan will offer a lot of value, too - and fortunately since we have Matic Herrera and deputize for Pogba in a more attacking role instead of being wasted as a #6.

Considering the number of fixtures coming up it's great that we've got some cover at CB and CM to rotate in and out a bit.

As much as Fellaini doesn't facilitate smooth, flowing football it's difficult to say he isn't effective at disrupting the opposition and making a massive nuisance of himself in the box. Great for Lukaku to get another goal, too, I actually like that we're outmuscling teams in the CL a bit because it's something none of the European sides, minnows or giants, are particularly well-equipped to deal with.

DeadPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #532
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Other CL results; Barca surprisingly beat Juventus 3-0, Chelsea smashed Qarabag 6-0, PSG caned Celtic 5-0 (surprise surprise) and Bayern beat Anderlecht 3-0.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #533
Iceman
Infinity War!

Today's CL results are crazy. Never seen so many thrashings in one set of fixtures.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #534
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
Other CL results; Barca surprisingly beat Juventus 3-0, Chelsea smashed Qarabag 6-0, PSG caned Celtic 5-0 (surprise surprise) and Bayern beat Anderlecht 3-0.
Bit ominous from PSG with Neymar and Mbappe opening the scoring. Great result for Barca to show their fans they can still be effective post Neymar.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #535
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Bit ominous from PSG with Neymar and Mbappe opening the scoring. Great result for Barca to show their fans they can still be effective post Neymar.
Yeah, agreed. PSG need to walk the CL this season, honestly, they can't buy that amount of firepower (after the spending they've already done over the past 4+ season) and not hammer all opponents. Bayern are irrelevant, Barcelona are a little all over the place, Madrid are currently the best competitors but are having some difficulties, and Juve's influence is waning. The field is wide open for them to cruise to it with Neymar and Mbappe, it would be criminal if they didn't win it. £400m of hard-earned Qatari government money didn't get spent for nothing

Old 09-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #536
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Yeah, agreed. PSG need to walk the CL this season, honestly, they can't buy that amount of firepower (after the spending they've already done over the past 4+ season) and not hammer all opponents. Bayern are irrelevant, Barcelona are a little all over the place, Madrid are currently the best competitors but are having some difficulties, and Juve's influence is waning. The field is wide open for them to cruise to it with Neymar and Mbappe, it would be criminal if they didn't win it. £400m of hard-earned Qatari government money didn't get spent for nothing
How do you reckon the rest of their team matches up to Madrid? Barca had Messi and Suarez as well as Neymar rather than the raw but great potential of Mbappe.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #537
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Its Celtic. They rather suck.

Honestly, they aren't Barca from a couple years ago or the Madrid of the last 4 years. They have flash, but they don't necessarily have the backbone. I think we could compete with PSG with our grit and raw power.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #538
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
How do you reckon the rest of their team matches up to Madrid? Barca had Messi and Suarez as well as Neymar rather than the raw but great potential of Mbappe.
I think they stack up okay, but the players will have to put in performances against other world class teams and they haven't done it yet. Rabiot and Verrati are solid, Marquinhos is a good CB, and they've got the obvious attacking power of Cavani, Di Maria, Mbappe and Neymar. Madrid's benefit is their team have been together for so long; Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Kroos, Modric, Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale, etc have all been there for 4-6 seasons, they're such a settled unit, but they're not looking stellar right now.

I'd probably agree though PSG are not prime Guardiola era Barcelona or Madrid now, they've got the names but they'll need to show they can do it against elite teams and they haven't managed that before, even when they had Zlatan and the other solid players they've got. Neymar and Mbappe could be enough to bring it through though, they're both fantastic.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #539
BlackFox
Red

Quote:
Today's CL results are crazy. Never seen so many thrashings in one set of fixtures.
When you have the likes of PSG spending £300m on their attack alone its not overly surprising. Draxler, Mbappe, Naymar and Cavani all running at a Scottish defense is only going to end one way really.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #540
BlackFox
Red

Quote:
PSG are great going forward but like we saw last season, their defense is all over the place. They have to hope they can out score teams and there is no doubt they have one of the most potent attacking lineups out there but against the likes of Bayern, Madrid & Barca I think they might still be outfoxed but will no doubt be fun to watch as they should get to the latter stages you would imagine comfortably with that lines up, frightening stuff thats for sure.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #541
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Its Celtic. They rather suck.

Honestly, they aren't Barca from a couple years ago or the Madrid of the last 4 years. They have flash, but they don't necessarily have the backbone. I think we could compete with PSG with our grit and raw power.
I'll be interested to see how they do against some decent CL teams. Will also be interesting to see how you guys fare against a big team.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #542
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Solid, routine performance and it's been too long since we were able to produce that type of game at Old Trafford. Basel didn't offer anything and I felt we won quite comfortably without any real standout performances but several decent ones.

Quote:
Ah okay, that seems more logical, yeah. I didn't realize we got any money for Rooney? Unless there's something additional in those calculations like income from some other source those numbers seem quite off.
Rooney was listed as an undisclsoed fee, but I've seen a few reports stating it was £10M, then others claiming that he was valued at £10M but that we let him go for free and it was counted as part of the Lukaku deal, so I guess no one is sure but something is needed regardless to explain how they got that number as our spend since Spetemr of last year..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
Seems that way,although If the team were not in this must win situation, he probably wouldn't even be considered.

Looks like I made a mistake,Sporting are in group D (with Olympiakos Barcelona and Juventus)
Is the heat with Icardi still centered around Messi being buddies with Maxi Lopez?

I see Sporting won 3-2 tonight, away at Olympiacos, did Acuna score?

Old 09-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #543
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
I'll be interested to see how they do against some decent CL teams. Will also be interesting to see how you guys fare against a big team.

I think Madrid kicks our ass. Same with Bayern. Everyone else, well half a chance at least.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #544
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
I think they stack up okay, but the players will have to put in performances against other world class teams and they haven't done it yet. Rabiot and Verrati are solid, Marquinhos is a good CB, and they've got the obvious attacking power of Cavani, Di Maria, Mbappe and Neymar. Madrid's benefit is their team have been together for so long; Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Kroos, Modric, Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale, etc have all been there for 4-6 seasons, they're such a settled unit, but they're not looking stellar right now.

I'd probably agree though PSG are not prime Guardiola era Barcelona or Madrid now, they've got the names but they'll need to show they can do it against elite teams and they haven't managed that before, even when they had Zlatan and the other solid players they've got. Neymar and Mbappe could be enough to bring it through though, they're both fantastic.
I think they'll need steel throughout their team to win the CL. That's going to be just as important as having Neymar and Mbappe up front. Barca were better up front with Messi and Suarez IMO instead of Mbappe and Cavani. Guardiola era Barca at their peak were another level of course. Funny how much PSG have spent but I think they still need more to get to the top.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #545
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
When you have the likes of PSG spending £300m on their attack alone its not overly surprising. Draxler, Mbappe, Naymar and Cavani all running at a Scottish defense is only going to end one way really.
Quote:
PSG are great going forward but like we saw last season, their defense is all over the place. They have to hope they can out score teams and there is no doubt they have one of the most potent attacking lineups out there but against the likes of Bayern, Madrid & Barca I think they might still be outfoxed but will no doubt be fun to watch as they should get to the latter stages you would imagine comfortably with that lines up, frightening stuff thats for sure.
I sometimes think defence and midfield grit are slightly more important in winning the CL than having the best attack.

Haha you make it sound like a horror film..all those top guys...running at a Scottish defence!

Yeah I'm going to find them interesting to watch despite all the disapproving talk over the summer. Either they play great attacking football and it will be be great to watch..or they don't and it'll be funny to see them fail.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #546
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:

I think Madrid kicks our ass. Same with Bayern. Everyone else, well half a chance at least.
I'd need to see more of you this season before I could be that confident. But if it pans out like that, then what a huge step up from recent seasons that would be!

Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #547
BlackFox
Red

Quote:
I sometimes think defence and midfield grit are slightly more important in winning the CL than having the best attack.

Haha you make it sound like a horror film..all those top guys...running at a Scottish defence!

Yeah I'm going to find them interesting to watch despite all the disapproving talk over the summer. Either they play great attacking football and it will be be great to watch..or they don't and it'll be funny to see them fail.
Once you get to the latter stages you are going to get tested defensively and holding onto a lead is just as important as trying to increase it at times. As we saw last season against Barca once the pressure was put on despite a big lead they caved in. Maybe they will learn from that this season but we wont find that out for a while.

It probably kind of is pretty horrific watching Scottish football.

Ha yeah all football fans are the same so dont worry. Everyone will say they are ruining football in the summer but come Feb/Mar we will all be salivating over PSG's front line banging in a hat full of goals and all United/Chelsea/City/Liverpool fans will be wishing they had that front line.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #548
DarthSkywalker

So... Messi is still pretty good it seems.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #549
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Once you get to the latter stages you are going to get tested defensively and holding onto a lead is just as important as trying to increase it at times. As we saw last season against Barca once the pressure was put on despite a big lead they caved in. Maybe they will learn from that this season but we wont find that out for a while.

It probably kind of is pretty horrific watching Scottish football.

Ha yeah all football fans are the same so dont worry. Everyone will say they are ruining football in the summer but come Feb/Mar we will all be salivating over PSG's front line banging in a hat full of goals and all United/Chelsea/City/Liverpool fans will be wishing they had that front line.
Yep.

Haha I suspected as much!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #550
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
So... Messi is still pretty good it seems.
He's using the Ring.