The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 09-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #551
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I think they'll need steel throughout their team to win the CL. That's going to be just as important as having Neymar and Mbappe up front. Barca were better up front with Messi and Suarez IMO instead of Mbappe and Cavani. Guardiola era Barca at their peak were another level of course. Funny how much PSG have spent but I think they still need more to get to the top.
Yeah, for sure - and that's the main question mark. Can they get through gritty ties against teams like Atletico/Dortmund in quarters and then have enough left to go up against Madrid/Barcelona/Bayern/United () in latter stages? That's the question.

There's every chance they could get flummoxed by a well-drilled team that can tactically neutralize Neymar or Mbappe, and that's something some managers could do - the likes of Mourinho, Simeone or even Conte if Chelsea make it far could manage. One thing that counts in their favor is they'll be able to rest players easily with how soft the French league is, while the PL/La Liga teams might struggle because the average quality is higher in those leagues.

If I were Mourinho I'd go all in on the giants and set pieces plan Chuck Fellaini, Lukaku, Matic, Pogba, and Zlatan on the pitch all at once and I guarantee none of the European elite would cope at set pieces or in the box for very long.

DeadPresident is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #552
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
He's using the Ring.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #553
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
Solid, routine performance and it's been too long since we were able to produce that type of game at Old Trafford. Basel didn't offer anything and I felt we won quite comfortably without any real standout performances but several decent ones.
I know it's early for this kind of talk, but fitness permitting, I kind of fancy Mourinho's tactical abilities against a large majority of the CL field (Barcelona, Madrid and PSG perhaps notwithstanding), you think we've got a semi-final spot in us?

I always think of Mourinho's approach with Inter, where he ground out wins in the CL just by neutralizing all assets the opposition had and managed to sneak some goals because he had a couple of crafty guys to convert chances. I doubt we'll win the competition, but I feel like we've got some good tools in the squad that stack up well against almost all the competitors up to a certain point.

Quote:
Rooney was listed as an undisclsoed fee, but I've seen a few reports stating it was £10M, then others claiming that he was valued at £10M but that we let him go for free and it was counted as part of the Lukaku deal, so I guess no one is sure but something is needed regardless to explain how they got that number as our spend since Spetemr of last year..
Ah okay - I see. Yeah, the number still doesn't make complete sense, it seems a little ways off considering the prices for Lukaku and Matic particularly, unless we got more for Schneiderlin and Memphis than initially thought, perhaps there deals also have big bonuses attached that make up part of the calculation. I'm surprised Memphis was only £14m to be honest, I would've thought United would recoup his entire price.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #554
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
Yeah, for sure - and that's the main question mark. Can they get through gritty ties against teams like Atletico/Dortmund in quarters and then have enough left to go up against Madrid/Barcelona/Bayern/United () in latter stages? That's the question.

There's every chance they could get flummoxed by a well-drilled team that can tactically neutralize Neymar or Mbappe, and that's something some managers could do - the likes of Mourinho, Simeone or even Conte if Chelsea make it far could manage. One thing that counts in their favor is they'll be able to rest players easily with how soft the French league is, while the PL/La Liga teams might struggle because the average quality is higher in those leagues.

If I were Mourinho I'd go all in on the giants and set pieces plan Chuck Fellaini, Lukaku, Matic, Pogba, and Zlatan on the pitch all at once and I guarantee none of the European elite would cope at set pieces or in the box for very long.
Those are exactly the types of teams and managers they might struggle against.

Haha I would love to see him succeed at that. He brings in Terry, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Carsten Jancker and Alan Shearer out of retirement and Duncan Ferguson out of jail to really shake things up!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #555
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
Those are exactly the types of teams and managers they might struggle against.

Haha I would love to see him succeed at that. He brings in Terry, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Carsten Jancker and Alan Shearer out of retirement and Duncan Ferguson out of jail to really shake things up!
Just steamroll everyone instead of trying to outplay them.

Jokes aside, I think the semi-finals on balance of probabilities this season will be PSG, Barcelona, Madrid and Bayern. I am curious about City, United and Chelsea though - all three have well-sussed managers and very worthwhile squads, I could see one of them working up a head of steam and getting to the latter stages. The only issue is how the December schedule usually completely exhausts English teams while La Liga/Ligue 1/Bundesliga teams stroll into the new year well rested and fresh.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #556
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Just steamroll everyone instead of trying to outplay them.

Jokes aside, I think the semi-finals on balance of probabilities this season will be PSG, Barcelona, Madrid and Bayern. I am curious about City, United and Chelsea though - all three have well-sussed managers and very worthwhile squads, I could see one of them working up a head of steam and getting to the latter stages. The only issue is how the December schedule usually completely exhausts English teams while La Liga/Ligue 1/Bundesliga teams stroll into the new year well rested and fresh.
Most likely yes. I would only have expected a PL team or Juve to give those 4 a contest when it counts. How are Athletico at the moment?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #557
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
Most likely yes. I would only have expected a PL team or Juve to give those 4 a contest when it counts. How are Athletico at the moment?
They're a little sluggish at the moment. They're doing well in La Liga and their star players are still there, but they seem to have dulled a little in the last couple of seasons. They used to be a lot sharper and would punish teams more easily for mistakes, but that ruthless element looks like it's slipped a little.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #558
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
They're a little sluggish at the moment. They're doing well in La Liga and their star players are still there, but they seem to have dulled a little in the last couple of seasons. They used to be a lot sharper and would punish teams more easily for mistakes, but that ruthless element looks like it's slipped a little.
Any idea of the reason? Losing Simeone? Would like to see how Griezmann performs with the prospect of the Utd move possibly still on.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #559
Kaleb
Devil of Hells Kitchen

Quote:

Is the heat with Icardi still centered around Messi being buddies with Maxi Lopez?

I see Sporting won 3-2 tonight, away at Olympiacos, did Acuna score?

Yep,Messi and Mascherano are fairly close with Maxi.

Came close to scoring in the 2nd half but ball hit the crossbar,did assist in the opening goal of the game though

Old 09-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #560
-VisionsVision-
Batman/Korg

Another great performance from United. Hope Pogba isn't too injured.

Thor: Ragnarok
-VisionsVision- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #561
B
[insert witty comment]

Solid performance last night to bounce back after Stoke mishap, only sour note being the injury to Pogba. Didn't really feel Basel threatened us at all last night & it was just a matter of how many we'd score & we probably should have had more than 3 if we're being honest.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #562
B
[insert witty comment]

Marco Asensio to miss Real Madrid's Champions League opener with infected pimple 'after shaving his legs'

Embarrassing on so many levels, not exactly helping dissolve the notion that all footballers are sissys is he..

I don't think Asensio would be suited for the Premiership unless he has it in his contract to avoid Stoke away days

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #563
Iceman
Infinity War!

Even with the Stoke result and performance this is a very good start to the season for Utd. When is their first tough game?

Old 09-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #564
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Marco Asensio to miss Real Madrid's Champions League opener with infected pimple 'after shaving his legs'

Embarrassing on so many levels, not exactly helping dissolve the notion that all footballers are sissys is he..

I don't think Asensio would be suited for the Premiership unless he has it in his contract to avoid Stoke away days
I'm surprised an infected pimple is sufficient to keep a player from playing?

Old 09-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #565
Iceman
Infinity War!

I'm sure I've heard of PL players (Andy Cole maybe) not playing because of boils on their arse!

Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #566
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Tottenham Vs. Dortmund is probably the highlight match for this evening, it'll be a good match to gauge how Spurs have progressed.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #567
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Tottenham Vs. Dortmund is probably the highlight match for this evening, it'll be a good match to gauge how Spurs have progressed.
Yes I'd be very interested to see how they do. Can't really tell how well kitted out for Europe they are yet after the recent progress they've made.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #568
DarthSkywalker

Early goal for Spurs. Here we go.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #569
Iceman
Infinity War!

Can always rely on Son.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #570
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Already 2-1, seems it's going to be a good one.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #571
Iceman
Infinity War!

Ronaldo puts Madrid 1 up.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #572
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Already 2-1, seems it's going to be a good one.
Great start!N Spurs showing some bottle to not get flustered by conceding and losing their lead quickly.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #573
DarthSkywalker

This match has been stupid so far.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #574
Iceman
Infinity War!

Also so far:

Liverpool 1-1 Sevilla
Feyenoord 0-2 Man City

Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #575
Iceman
Infinity War!

City 3 now! Only 27 mins gone.

Stones, Aguero Jesus with the goals.