The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 03-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #51
jmc
away for a while

Default Re: What killed the star system in Hollywood?

Once celebs were able to have a voice like the rest of us on social media their mystique definitely subsided. It is odd though that's become a turn off for some people. I guess for decades Hollywood was looked at as this glamorous lifestyle that people wanted for themselves and so there something to admire about actors and actresses. But the reality is celebrities are no different to the rest of us, they've got bills to pay, doctors appointments to go to, kids to take care of, and opinions that aren't always popular. I don't like this idea of people telling them shut up or stay out of politics, just because they are famous doesn't mean they can't voice their opinion on matters that mean something to them.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:07 AM   #52
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Once celebs were able to have a voice like the rest of us on social media their mystique definitely subsided. It is odd though that's become a turn off for some people. I guess for decades Hollywood was looked at as this glamorous lifestyle that people wanted for themselves and so there something to admire about actors and actresses. But the reality is celebrities are no different to the rest of us, they've got bills to pay, doctors appointments to go to, kids to take care of, and opinions that aren't always popular. I don't like this idea of people telling them shut up or stay out of politics, just because they are famous doesn't mean they can't voice their opinion on matters that mean something to them.
Everyone is of course entitled to free speech and to voice their opinions as they see fit. However, celebrities/stars must also be aware of the reality that unlike an average person who may have a few hundred friends/followers within their social media circle, they have millions. So when they voice strong opinions that are disagreed with by many followers, they are at risk of alienating many. I've had to unfollow a few stars on Twitter simply because I initially followed them because I was very interested in their work, only to be faced with a mind-numbingly tedious daily barrage of posts about politics, and little else. If I wanted that, I'd follow politicians on Twitter instead.

This issue seems to have worsened in recent times, with Trump's election splitting the country somewhat and Hollywood's de-glamorisation. I mean, take Meryl Streep as the perfect example - she was unofficially seen as the Queen dame of Hollywood actresses and held in great esteem and respect, but if recent social media posts I've seen are anything to go by, the average Joe on the street finds it hard to have any respect for her when she's hypocritically pushing the cause of the #MeToo movement whilst having a history of cosying up to known sexual abusers and rapists Harvey Weinstein and Roman Polanski.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #53
terry78
I don't die, fool

You never know the true person till you hear their politics.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote