The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #26
terry78
I don't die, fool

Default Re: Sorry to Bother You

You kinda have to be into....I don't wanna say indie artsy ****, but you kinda do.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #27
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

Yeah it's def not for everyone. I saw a couple people leaving the screening and they didn't come back.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #28
terry78
I don't die, fool

Like, my sister is kind of a black hipster, she listens to Janelle Monae and for lack of a better term, dresses kinda wacky even for my taste so of course she knew about this way before I even did last year.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #29
samsnee
Side-Kick

Definitely weird movie but in a good way.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #30
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
I loved it, but I can see some people not being able to get into this. There were a few people in my theater who were not laughing at certain things I was.
A lady behind me kept saying "oh Jesus" while the person next to her was laughing super hard at nearly everything.The audience experience is interesting itself.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #31
Persona
Side-Kick

This was really good!

I read some reviews that makes it sound like this film gets scatterbrained as it goes along. it really doesn't. it is very focused on its core ideas and characters and it really follows through on them. that said, there are some elements that the film invests time in (specifically a sort of love triangle sub-plot) that left me scratching my head a bit, just in terms of not being sure what the film was trying to accomplish there. it's a movie from a first-time writer-director and you definitely feel that at points, at the same time that it's pretty easy to forgive because the film packs so much creativity and verve and righteous anger into its modest run-time.

the first hour or so of the film worked like gangbusters for me. my theater audience seemed sort of just mildly into the movie, except for the row I was in and the row behind us, we were basically eating the movie up. I think having a couple beers definitely upped the enjoyment of that first section of the film (oh Lord did that call center stuff ring true, me and my coworkers were dying) but may have hurt my appreciation of the back-half, as I found the pacing kind of wonky but it may have just been the come-down from the non-stop chortling I was doing for the first hour or so. I kind of loved where the film goes with its ideas, but there's just something about how the film is constructed that leaves the film feel like it is winding down when what's actually happening in the story is winding all the way up.

The cast was pretty phenomenal for the most part, Glover and Thompson and by golly I could listen to the **** Oswalt and Cross were doing all day. There are actually a lot of low-key intimate and almost naturalistic moments in the film, though, that maybe don't work as well dramatically because there is this sort of tonal whiplash from the film's over-arching satirical and surrealist bits (and I loved what Jermaine Fowler brought to his role but there's a point at the end of the film where you realize that maybe the film needed to give his character and his dynamic with Cassius a bit more time--time that I personally would have taken from the Squeeze-Detroit thing). The social commentary is so on-point here, so entertaining and tragic and brilliantly conceived, that when the film suddenly flips to character drama I think it's tough for those quieter scenes to measure up. Stanfield nails the comic aspects of Cassius Green, but outside of that he really leans into how downtrodden the character is in a way that has something very real about it, which I respect, but I think we end up investing in Cassius more as an idea than we do in him as a character. Which is fine, but again for those character drama moments that the film loads into the back-half, it might have worked better if we could have invested in Cassius both ways.

The running gag with the picture of his father... so, so great. Just another example of how this film really stuck to its core ideas and just continued to build on them and follow through on them as it progressed. I do wish the compliment fight had been given just another fifteen seconds or so, as the film so casually slipped into it that by the time my audience caught up with it and started laughing, it was pretty much done.

Great soundtrack, as to be expected. For a low-ish budget movie and a debut film I really thought the technical credits were very nice. The world of the film definitely had a vibe to it that was pretty singular. And the way absurdist humor is just kind of woven into the fabric of this world that so closely mirrors our own is done in a way that you can't really nail down to its influences. Yeah, there's some Spike Lee and Gilliam happening, but I really think Riley came out the gate with his own thing happening and that's very cool to see.

There's a moment, and anyone will know it when they see it, where my entire theater just rang out loud with "WHAT THE ****." Like I said, I thought most of my audience could have been a bit more engaged, but regardless this movie was definitely pushing some buttons. Really refreshing to have that experience as opposed to the usual where we are so conditioned and fed such a pattern, a comfortable construct of what a movie is supposed to be like and we know what its beats will be and we know where it goes and how it's going to do what it's going to do that we're usually just sitting passively enjoying (or disliking) it. This film's effect is far more provocative and pronounced and you could feel it in the theater for most of the time it was playing. Also, my God, that rap performance scene...

Anyways, this isn't in the same ballpark as my two favorite films this year so far, First Reformed and Annihilation, but it's very easily in third place. And it feels like it should have strong re-watch value.

Persona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #32
moviedoors
Side-Kick

I agreed with pretty much all of the politics in this movie, but I still didn’t much care for it. I simply didn’t think it was very funny. Like every time there’s a closeup of those earrings, it was just crickets in the theater. I think I smirked a couple of times during the whole runnin time. I did perk up at THAT moment. That was so bug**** crazy I can’t help but appreciate it.

Interesting, but I feel like this kind of surreal, absurdist style was done so much better on “Louie.”

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:46 AM   #33
Blackman
C'mon Son

One of the oddest yet entertaining and thought provoking movies I've seen in a long long time. I really enjoyed it

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #34
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

I'd totally recommend Blindspotting if anyone thought this was a bit too artsy for their tastes.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #35
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Even when this slips into crazy fantasy, this movie is too damn real at times. I really enjoyed it.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote