The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 08-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #226
sueb1863
Side-Kick

Default Re: 91st Annual Academy Awards

Agree that the popular film category won't do anything for the ratings. There aren't enough fans who will tune in just to watch a popular film get an Oscar to make a difference. This will just dilute the prestige of the Awards.

What's next, Twitter voting in some of the categories?

sueb1863 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #227
Drizzle
I got my cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb1863 View Post
Agree that the popular film category won't do anything for the ratings. There aren't enough fans who will tune in just to watch a popular film get an Oscar to make a difference. This will just dilute the prestige of the Awards.

What's next, Twitter voting in some of the categories?
What prestige? Dudes like Eminem and Three 6 Mafia have won Oscars and they aren't what you'd call traditionally prestigious. A movie about a woman ****ing a fish man was the last winner for Best Picture. That probably made the prestigious crowd accidentally drop their monocles into their brandy.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #228
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

The Shape of Water is nothing like Eminem, it's very arthouse and "for your consideration" ish. Not really good comparisons IMO.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #229
Drizzle
I got my cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
The Shape of Water is nothing like Eminem, it's very arthouse and "for your consideration" ish. Not really good comparisons IMO.
I was being facetious about The Shape of Water. I've seen it and I know that it's got that "For Your Consideration" vibe, but it's still humorous that there's a bestiality subplot in a Best Picture winner.

But honestly, the two most buzzed about Best Picture nominees in recent years (not counting winners or the whole Moonlight/La La Land debacle) were probably Mad Max: Fury Road and Get Out. Neither of which are arthouse films. Complaining about the Popular Film category is rather pointless to me because guess what? 40-50 years ago, popular films were nominated for Best Picture all the time, even movies like Jaws and Star Wars. Some of them even won (Rocky, The Godfather). Yes, a movie can be both popular and good but I do have to say that the Academy has been too biased towards art house movies in recent years. Do I think Spotlight is a good movie? Sure, but I don't think it's particularly better or more impressive than The Revenant or even Mad Max: Fury Road. I think some more recognition is due for the critically adored blockbusters outside of the standard VFX and sound awards.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #230
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Will Oscars’ Popular Film Category Generate Ratings or Just Controversy?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #231
harlequinade
Little Mermaid

Quote:
Berger argued that the new category isn't so much about coming up with a criteria for measuring popularity, it's about recognizing "excellence in movies that connect with people."

"I don't think it really is popular film," he said of the new category. "I think it's for outstanding entertainment, and, for me, that can mean Batman, Little Miss Sunshine, Risky Business, The Bourne Identity. Just as everybody has their own definition of entertainment, I think they also have their own definition of art. I think it will ultimately be up to the Academy members to figure out how exactly they approach this."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...r-says-1135789

"My demons are not remotely tackled, they're just mildly concussed"
harlequinade is offline   Reply With Quote