The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #201
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: batman vs Superman box office prediction

Let's not forget that Batman Forever had a very mixed critical reception, people weren't sure if they were liking the new direction, and when word of mouth of Batman & Robin came, they stayed far away.

I think you're underestimating the Batman brand mixed with Superman, crossover interest and the first encounter between those 2 characters on screen. This reminds me of when people were saying Avengers would only make Iron Man numbers, a film like this will simply be an event.

And i mentioned Hobbit 1 and Episode I, not their sequels, i'm quite sure about the follow ups not making as much money due to word of mouth, that didn't change the first films from being events in the box office.

And dellusional? I dislike WB's direction, but even i can admit that a filme called Batman vs Superman is a sure billion in the bank.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #202
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
The Hobbit sequel and Star Wars episode two made less money than their respective predecessors, it's no coincidence both predecessors were not look upon unfavourably overall. Honestly, it really seems to me there's a sense of delusion with some already calling this film this massive behemoth when there are factors that aren't genuinely being looked at. I get that some of you want it to be this billion dollar hit but the reality is the film is not guaranteed to do that, if anything it's got several factors running against, namely the quality and reaction of the last movie. If you don't think that plays apart, you are sadly mistaken.
Fair point but this movie has more for it than against it. Critical reception was mixed but the BR sales imply a very different story for audiences. MOS was a hit with audiences, no doubt about it. It had decent legs and only failed to reach 300m domestic because of the over performance of WWZ.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #203
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Let's not forget that Batman Forever had a very mixed critical reception, people weren't sure if they were liking the new direction, and when word of mouth of Batman & Robin came, they stayed far away.

I think you're underestimating the Batman brand mixed with Superman, crossover interest and the first encounter between those 2 characters on screen. This reminds me of when people were saying Avengers would only make Iron Man numbers, a film like this will simply be an event.
Avengers was an anomaly, a perfect storm situation, it was also, you know, critically acclaimed. The larger Iron Man numbers were a justifiable prediction because no-one in their right mind could have forecasted what Whedon would have unleashed.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #204
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Look it's simple, Batman vs Superman, two of the most popular superheroes in the world, if you can't market that to hit a billion with a 3D hike, then either you are a crappy studio or your film is really REALLY bad.

People underestimate the drawing power of Batman, they like to throw around words like exhaustion and fatigue, but his last movie hit a billion without any aid of 3D and national tragedy (which had international publicity) weighing it down.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/4-Batman Begins/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Guardians of the Galaxy/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles
Old 05-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #205
Mr.M
Banned User

What is a billion these days anyway? You got films like Bond, Frozen, and Alice all eclipsing the mark. Iron Man 3. Transformers sequels for ****s sake. I mean it's not a huge feat any longer as in all time great.

I personally think it would be embarrassing if WB can't gross at least that much. But it's not gonna say a lot one way or another if it barely eclipses the mark.

I am trying to find a common denominator and it's hard to find. We know IM3, PotC 2, and TF2 had crazy hype coming off popular previous installments. Then you look at Bond, which I'm gonna equate to Potter as a franchise with global popularity. Frozen and Alice being the touch of the Mouse. So if I had to pick, I am thinking BvS will need to fall into the crazy hype category. Snyder is the greatest trailer maker of all-time. But how does it overcome the pitfalls of MoS? Or will that even matter?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #206
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Avengers was an anomaly, a perfect storm situation, it was also, you know, critically acclaimed. The larger Iron Man numbers were a justifiable prediction because no-one in their right mind could have forecasted what Whedon would have unleashed.
I did, so many did too. Every time there is a film like this i see people with "the most realistic theories" talking about how these films won't be as successful as others, only to later eat their oun words. It also reminds me of those arguing that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 would make a billion due to marketing being everywhere.

I think that underestimating a film called "Batman vs Superman" is a terrible idea, even look and Man of Steel DVD sales, the fillm was a hit with audiences, look at Transformers, do they have a positive critical reception? Hell no, yet they make all the money they do, are you going to tell me that it was an anomaly? No, it simply was not, because critical reception and box office grossing are 2 completelly different things.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #207
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
I did, so many did too. Every time there is a film like this i see people with "the most realistic theories" talking about how these films won't be as successful as others, only to later eat their oun words. It also reminds me of those arguing that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 would make a billion due to marketing being everywhere.

I think that underestimating a film called "Batman vs Superman" is a terrible idea, even look and Man of Steel DVD sales, the fillm was a hit with audiences, look at Transformers, do they have a positive critical reception? Hell no, yet they make all the money they do, are you going to tell me that it was an anomaly? No, it simply was not, because critical reception and box office grossing are 2 completelly different things.
Oh please, it was fanboy wishing not logical thought as to why those who predicted Avengers were proven right. It's the same situation here. Basically, you all got lucky with your billion dollar prediction.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #208
Llama_Shepherd
Banned User

Frozen had viral marketing and Alice In Wonderland was one of the first 3D films after Avatar. Skyfall was just really good.

Like you said, Snyder makes great trailers. And hopefully he'll be using viral marketing and the videos he was during the production of Watchmen to keep interest up.

Look at Avengers 2. RDJ just so happened to make a twitter account in time for production. He shoukd be having Gal throw out little tidbits like The Rock was for Hercules.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #209
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
What is a billion these days anyway? You got films like Bond, Frozen, and Alice all eclipsing the mark. Iron Man 3. Transformers sequels for ****s sake. I mean it's not a huge feat any longer as in all time great.

I personally think it would be embarrassing if WB can't gross at least that much. But it's not gonna say a lot one way or another if it barely eclipses the mark.

I am trying to find a common denominator and it's hard to find. We know IM3, PotC 2, and TF2 had crazy hype coming off popular previous installments. Then you look at Bond, which I'm gonna equate to Potter as a franchise with global popularity. Frozen and Alice being the touch of the Mouse. So if I had to pick, I am thinking BvS will need to fall into the crazy hype category. Snyder is the greatest trailer maker of all-time. But how does it overcome the pitfalls of MoS? Or will that even matter?
I understand what you're saying but I think the industry standard for successful CBM is 200m domestic and 300m abroad. So, for most CBMs, 500+WW is solid: especially for a first film.

Now, since this would be a sequel, obviously everyone expects this film to do better than that.

1B WW is still a HUGE milestone.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #210
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Well, 2 billion is the new big thing, only 2 films in over 2 decades have ever been able to reach it. But 1 billion is still an impressive number, not every blockbuster is able to get there, Spider-Man has been swinging pretty close for a decade, and after the reboot it fell farther from the mark.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #211
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Two very different stories. I'm not saying it won't be successful, but people need to stop overstating novelty. The Hobbit has novelty too, it's not been doing as well as Lord of the Rings, because it's simply not as good.
Hobbit is a smaller premise and a 'prequel'(yay) to the far lager thing, coming off of and seemingly attached to that far larger thing.

BvS is far lager in premise than anything that has come before in this line. It's seemingly attached to TDK in spirit given it's an 'older' batman and it still has tumblr tires..
it's not a prequel.

The hobbit films don't make pennies. They actually flirt with a billion. They would no doubt do otherwise if they were simply stand alone things that came about 14 years ago(that is far before lotr).

All this talk I'm seeing is very similar to the avengers talk during the latter marvel phase two days. As always I have to reference the box office predictions and such that year and all the statements(that no one remembers) about the quality of said phase.

Lastly the sentiment that these lesser performing prequels are performing less seeming to consistently hinge on this one point. "They aren't that good".

Last edited by Marvin; 05-19-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #212
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Oh please, it was fanboy wishing not logical thought as to why those who predicted Avengers were proven right. It's the same situation here. Basically, you all got lucky with your billion dollar prediction.
Ahahah, now you're just generalising, expecially when i predicted The Avengers would make the most money, and The Dark Knight Rises would be the best film. The film actually did critically better than i expected, and come on, with the hype Marvel was doing in their campaign it was obvious that Avengers would do that much.

I see many "box office experts" dismissing some superhero films, which is a major mistake IMAO. I stand by my prediction, Batman vs Superman is going to in least make a billion, i'm not saying it because i think it's a comic book movie, there's just no way that in this day and age, a film starring arguably the 2 most popular superheroes of all time will not make that much.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #213
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Hobbit is a smaller premise and a 'prequel'(yay) to the far lager thing, coming off of and seemingly attached to that far larger thing.

BvS is far lager in premise than anything that has come before in this line. It's seemingly attached to TDK in spirit given it's an 'older' batman and it still has tumblr tires..
it's not a prequel.

The hobbit films don't make pennies. They actually flirt with a billion. They would no doubt do otherwise if they were simply stand alone things that came about 14 years ago(that is far before lotr).

All this talk I'm seeing is very similar to the avengers talk during the latter marvel phase two days. As always I have to reference the box office predictions and such that year and all the statements(that no one remembers) about the quality of said phase.

Lastly the sentiment that these lesser performing prequels are performing less seeming to consistently hinge on this one point. "They aren't that good".
It's similar because it's not based on anything tangible, it's based on fan desires. Although in retrospect Marvel's phase one films were in much better shape leading up to that film.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #214
Marvin
Side-Kick

^How so?
(on the state of the marvel lead ins that is).

I think there are going to be a few success stories this summer, I'm personally curious how many of them will out gross MOS domestically.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #215
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Ahahah, now you're just generalising, expecially when i predicted The Avengers would make the most money, and The Dark Knight Rises would be the best film. The film actually did critically better than i expected, and come on, with the hype Marvel was doing in their campaign it was obvious that Avengers would do that much.

I see many "box office experts" dismissing some superhero films, which is a major mistake IMAO. I stand by my prediction, Batman vs Superman is going to in least make a billion, i'm not saying it because i think it's a comic book movie, there's just no way that in this day and age, a film starring arguably the 2 most popular superheroes of all time will not make that much.
Again my friend, you got lucky. That is all.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #216
Llama_Shepherd
Banned User

Quote:

Do you mind quoting your post where you accurately predicted 1.5 billion? Because I've searched and the earliest mention of the word "billion" in The Avengers forum is just a couple weeks before release. And after a couple pages, still no posts from you.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #217
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Again my friend, you got lucky. That is all.
It's not the first time i "got lucky", seems to me like some of you are limmiting yourselves with what worked in the past and critical reception, instead of thinking on what may work in the future and the general public actually wants.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #218
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
It's not the first time i "got lucky", seems to me like some of you are limmiting yourselves with what worked in the past and critical reception, instead of thinking on what may work in the future and the general public actually wants.
Some of us are realists my friend, we look at the facts and make judgements based on the information at hand. We don't make pie in the sky box office claims based purely on novelty, or the event, or the characters, we look at all the factors. Everyone who predicts a billion dollars for 'Movie X' usually isn't saying it with objectivity, it's the result they want.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #219
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Do you mind quoting your post where you accurately predicted 1.5 billion? Because I've searched and the earliest mention of the word "billion" in The Avengers forum is just a couple weeks before release. And after a couple pages, still no posts from you.
I never accurately predicted 1.5 billion, noone is able to make accurate predictions, and maybe you're not searching in the right places:

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...767&highlight=

I got plenty wrong, like saying Avengers could beat possibly beat Titanic, you'll also see jmc's posts there.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #220
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Some of us are realists my friend, we look at the facts and make judgements based on the information at hand. We don't make pie in the sky box office claims based purely on novelty, or the event, or the characters, we look at all the factors. Everyone who predicts a billion dollars for 'Movie X' usually isn't saying it with objectivity, it's the result they want.
But the thing is, i'm not a fan of DC's Cinematic universe right now, neither do i hope Batman vs SUperman will make that much money, but i know it will.

You're talking about my arguments not being objective, but the thing is that what you should be looking at is the general public, which i am, that's where you can see around how much it can make. And we're predicting box office results, there's not way to be objective, looking at numbers isn't exactly going to tell you much they will make, these predictions are subjective at best, the best we can do is estimate.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #221
Llama_Shepherd
Banned User

That same post of yours said Avengers could beat Avatar, which made over a billion dollars more. The only time you made comparison you were off by at minimum half a billion dollars.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #222
jmc
away for a while

I actually remember thinking Rises would not reach a billion let alone exceed it. lol

Old 05-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #223
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
That same post of yours said Avengers could beat Avatar, which made over a billion dollars more. The only time you made comparison you were off by at minimum half a billion dollars.
I said "if it was lucky", and i was looking at the ratings number it would go, not the exact numbers in dollars, which are way too difficult to predict.

Also, there is no real close way to predict box office results, my entire argument there resolves around the fact that The Avengers would beat TDKR in the box office and make major numbers.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #224
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
But the thing is, i'm not a fan of DC's Cinematic universe right now, neither do i hope Batman vs SUperman will make that much money, but i know it will.

You're talking about my arguments not being objective, but the thing is that what you should be looking at is the general public, which i am, that's where you can see around how much it can make. And we're predicting box office results, there's not way to be objective, looking at numbers isn't exactly going to tell you much they will make, these predictions are subjective at best, the best we can do is estimate.
I do take them into account, they still care about spending their money on quality superhero films, you can flash out all the Transformer and Twilight cards you want, if a superhero film doesn't resonate people are turned off by it. We've just seen that 3 weeks ago. Yes, there is novelty with Superman and Batman, but that isn't enough to make the type of money you and other think it will reach.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #225
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
I actually remember thinking Rises would not reach a billion let alone exceed it. lol
I know, and you also said Avengers would be beat by TDKR, which was the point of the thread.

~*SHH SIX*~
Closed Thread