The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 AM   #526
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men - Part 8

welp it seems the comic book article makers are finally asking after all these years when joe Q already told this to places like newsarma

what changed is a stupid question buttheir late to the party .

Comic Book Resources?Verified account
@CBR
16h16 hours agoMore

Why Are Comic Publishers So Afraid of Married Superheroes?

Quote:
15 hours ago by Mike Fugere in CBR Exclusives

"Why Are Comic Publishers So Afraid of Married Superheroes?" alt="Why Are Comic Publishers So Afraid of Married Superheroes?"

WARNING: The following article contains major spoilers for Batman #50 and X-Men: Gold #30, both available now.

Weddings and funerals are events that usually draw massive crowds. Folks who have not seen the dearly beloved (or the dearly departed) in years come out of the woodwork, dress in fine attire, and pay their respects. Oddly enough they are both moments in life that carry the weight of some sense of finality (one of them more so, of course) and bring people together.

These events are no different in comic books. If an issue has a prefix atop its cover proclaiming “the wedding of…” or “the death of…,” they often garner a bit more attention than they usually would. And while marketing a character’s death might get the edge in baiting readers (“The Death of Superman” during the comic boom of the ‘90s and the more recent “Death of Wolverine” events come to mind), wedding issues have recently been burring the lead or simply just not paying off on their promises. But why?
RELATED: Marvel and DC’s Big Wedding Twists: Who Did it Better?
Comic books, for better or worse, are designed like soap operas (just with more punching and aliens and magical entities). Romance, love triangles, and marital strife fill their pages just as they fill daytime television. When characters aren’t punching the aforementioned aliens and/or magical entities, they’re living their day-to-day lives, and readers often find what makes the characters compelling in more quiet moments of comics. When we see Superman with a cup of coffee as he slinks around the offices at the Daily Planet we stop and say, “Hey, I drink coffee in my office, too.” When a young mutant class member gets detention at Xavier’s School for the Gifted for setting his desk of fire or what have you, we understand that heroes aren’t born heroic; they were once young and made mistakes, just like us.

The Great Divide

Maybe this sounds a bit reductive, but for a huge swathes of readers, it’s true. It’s not that we don’t love it when heroes punch things that need to get punched, but in the mundane is where we find common ground. We can’t relate to going to a different dimension or fighting magical demons or traveling to a distant planet filled with murderous lifeforms (but wouldn’t it be cool if we could). But we relate to social anxiety and the all the emotional tension that surround a huge life event like a wedding.
RELATED: Batman and Catwoman’s Wedding: What the Hell Just Happened?
For the average person, a marriage is the real-life equivalent to facing off against Galactus. There is a sense of finality to the event even if you are to come out on the other side better off. Perhaps it’s the natural dichotomy between home and work life of superheroes that once made their wedding issues so special at one time. And maybe that dichotomy is what is currently causing publishers to move away from them.
Page 2:When Did Superhero Weddings Fall Out of Favor?

So, What Changed?

Back in 2013, DC Comics found itself in a bit of hot water after Batwoman Kate Kane was unable to marry her fiancée Maggie Sawyer at the behest of the publisher. This caused the creative team J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman to leave the book, which is perturbing on multiple levels and effectively crushed one of the best books DC Comics was producing at the time (seriously J.H. Williams III is a genius and should be celebrated as such).
RELATED: Another X-Man Plans On Popping The Question – But Will This Wedding Happen?
DC co-publisher Dan DiDio tried to explain the decision, citing the mission of anyone who takes up the cowl in Batman’s world has responsibilities that supersede personal happiness. Their sacrifice to the cause is what defines them and wallowing in their unpleasant personal lives is what keeps their heroic fire burning. Well, needless to say, not everyone was satisfied with this explanation. But to DC’s credit, the publisher stuck to its guns five years later in Batman #50 in which The Bat and The Cat were planning to tie the knot… and then didn’t.
Batman Is Not Alone

From that ridiculous time Doctor Octopus tried to marry Aunt May in The Amazing Spider-Man #131 to the Royal Wedding-level event of the wedding of Scott Summers and Jean Grey in the pages of X-Men # 30, Marvel Comics has had its fair share of wedding issues. But just like the “twist” in Batman #50, another long-promoted superhero couple tying the knot, Colossus and Kitty Pryde, didn’t say their “I dos” at the altar.

Of course, the dissolution of the wedding in X-Men: Gold #30 was somewhat balanced out by two other X-Men stepping up to get married in a moment that probably a lot of fans were hoping to see just as much as Kitty and Peter getting hitched.

RELATED:

Which X-Man Is Responsible For Ruining Marvel’s Big Wedding?
To be fair, a wedding fake out makes for some great soapy drama. Someone walking away from the altar, leaving their would-be spouse holding the bag sounds like one of the most mortifying things someone could experience. The fallout over an event like this can shift alliances, create doubt among fellow friends and family, and fracture relationships. Again, this all good drama.

Page 3:What Does the Future Hold for Superhero Matrimony?

source: https://www.cbr.com/why-comic-publis...ampaign=CBR-TW

Last edited by zenith16; 07-10-2018 at 12:04 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #527
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Art preview for Mr. and Mrs. X

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-mr-and...-new-costumes/

Looking good. Not a big fan of their space suits. But interesting to see Cerise again.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #528
Neptune
Uchiha

I freaking love Rogue and Gambit but i'm already getting tired of them being joined at the hip.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #529
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
I freaking love Rogue and Gambit but i'm already getting tired of them being joined at the hip.
They just reunited months ago after spending years apart. They arent joined at the hip as Gambit appears in Red where there is no Rogue in sight

X-23 #1 was a delight. This book has no business looking as good as it does. If only the main books had an artist of this caliber. I was impressed

New Mutants: This Warlock stuff feels so disconnected and out of place and the way every issue seems to end on that has been a weak point of this mini. 5 issues in and Rosenberg has failed to bring it together. Its gonna feel rushed when he does (if he does in the final issue). It almost feels like this series should have been an ongoing and I think there may be a followup bc he's introduced alot of stuff and confirmed we wont get to everything

Blue...So I guess Magneto is officially a villian again? Dont like it. I hope there's a twist here bc his actions made no sense and were too extreme. I think he's going to kill Iceman

Last edited by Havok83; 07-12-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #530
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
Art preview for Mr. and Mrs. X

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-mr-and...-new-costumes/

Looking good. Not a big fan of their space suits. But interesting to see Cerise again.
Nice.

I'm not a huge fan of the Rogue/Gambit pairing myself, but I'm happy anytime my boy gets attention beyond a couple of panels.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #531
superlonlyman

forgive me if i drag deadpool 2 into this thread but if deadpool 2 is any indication then is there a new x force team ? and how does it relate x force in general im a old fan whose trying too get into the comic again.

superlonlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #532
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlonlyman View Post
forgive me if i drag deadpool 2 into this thread but if deadpool 2 is any indication then is there a new x force team ? and how does it relate x force in general im a old fan whose trying too get into the comic again.
No. The closest thing to X-force in the books now is Weapon X which just announce its new (old) team consisting of

Sabretooth
Lady Deathstrike
Domino
Mystique
Omega Red

Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #533
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

I believe the arc is called Weapon X-Force, so I am betting on a renaming down the line.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #534
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
No. The closest thing to X-force in the books now is Weapon X which just announce its new (old) team consisting of

Sabretooth
Lady Deathstrike
Domino
Mystique
Omega Red

I'll be buying this.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:48 AM   #535
superlonlyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Sabretooth
Lady Deathstrike
Domino
Mystique
Omega Red

time for ordering wepon x xtreme xman an xforce i guess amazon here i come lol

superlonlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #536
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

X-men Black, starring Magneto has been announced. I'm assuming Bunn will be writing.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #537
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
X-men Black, starring Magneto has been announced. I'm assuming Bunn will be writing.
Which is weird bc he just confirmed in an interview that Black was never a thing but only the original title for the Poison X arc. He also seemed to imply that he was done writing X-men for the time being

Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #538
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Then I have no idea. I just assumed, because of all the stellar work Bunn has done with Magneto.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #539
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Then I have no idea. I just assumed, because of all the stellar work Bunn has done with Magneto.
He confirmed on Twitter earlier that he wont be writing