The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Gifted

Old 01-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #1
psylockolussus
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Exclamation eXtraction | X-roads | The Gifted's two episode finale

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: eXtraction | X-roads | The Gifted's two episode finale

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
terry78
I don't die, fool

That guy is basically Gyrich.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
Morg
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

That kid getting too blood thirsty

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Morg
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Come on, where's the big mutant battle?

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Let's be honest, Andy was always headed down the dark path of a new Brotherhood. Chances are he'll be of more use there anyway. Surprised to see Sage join them as well, but hey, I see her frustration.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
laytonc32
Side-Kick

I thought it was a great season finale. They still kept us in the dark about the inner circle of the Hellfire Club. I imagine they want to save that for season 2.

laytonc32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Really enjoyed that. Hitting the mutant allegory in a way that the movies never really could. Really curious where Agent Turner is heading.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
mutant 1060
Newbie First Class

Loved it when Lorna took down the plane! It's on the cusp of satisfaction and thirst for blood. Andy's finally made the choice, it seems right.
It's pathetic how Thunderbird and others thought they should do it the "x-men way" while Dr. Campbell was playing the dirty cards. Going around killing innocent people is not the solution but sitting around, trying to be noble and they'll be arrested, experimented on and die as a tool like those nameless mutants from the lab.
I would want to see Dr. Campbell's face more when the plane crashed down, how would he have felt, contributed his whole life trying to concentrate his hatred to bring a group of people with great gifts to distinction. Even though when they were living in hiding, fear and all that, it was not enough for him. What else did he expect? The empire strikes back.

mutant 1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
terry78
I don't die, fool

That's always been the struggle of the xmen, as it was pretty much during the civil rights era when they were created. You got this massive section of the populous that pretty much views you as less than, but if you fight back you prove their point.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #11
Loki882
Side-Kick

That's been the issue with Magneto and The Brotherhood, you can understand their motivations most of the time. However, often their methods just make it EASIER for their enemies to paint all mutants as "evil violent monsters" and use it as justification for more persecution. Also it tends to turn public opinion as well.

I suspect that similar things will happen here as well.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
HexualCirce
Side-Kick

I'm really excited to see how they expand the Hellfire Club next season. Do we know any news regarding its renewal?

HexualCirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #13
psylockolussus
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Its renewed.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #14
fobi
Side-Kick

Hopefully the hound program and sentinel services is done or at the least just a subplot next season and the Hellfire Club is the main focus. Turner has served his purpose too, he hasn't even really been that relevant the last few episodes.

fobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #15
Finisterre
Newbie First Class

A pretty satisfactory finale, in the sense that characters are very much in character, so to speak. Maybe apart from the ending. I can't help laughing at that final scene when Esme and her newly acquired minions/bots are leaving. The newly revamped Lorna looks like a pod-Lorna. Ugh. #teamMarcosalltheway

Finisterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:29 AM   #16
Loki882
Side-Kick

Someone mentioned this to me, but it is kind of messed up that Lorna is basically dragging her and Marcos's kid off on her extremist crusade. I did kind of feel bad for him in that regard at least.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #17
Finisterre
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Someone mentioned this to me, but it is kind of messed up that Lorna is basically dragging her and Marcos's kid off on her extremist crusade. I did kind of feel bad for him in that regard at least.
She's also dragging Caitlin and Reed's kid - with that perfectly manicured hand of hers. She so showed them. LOL

Finisterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:02 AM   #18
Loki882
Side-Kick

^Honestly her "change of look" was one of the very few things that I didn't really like here. I kind of rolled by eyes a bit when I saw that.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #19
SirStrangefolk
Champion of Life

No mentions of the Vange Whedon appearance yet? Thought that was pretty cool.

SirStrangefolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #20
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobi View Post
Hopefully the hound program and sentinel services is done or at the least just a subplot next season and the Hellfire Club is the main focus. Turner has served his purpose too, he hasn't even really been that relevant the last few episodes.
I think the Hellfire Club and Purifiers will probably be the main antagonists next season.

I can see Turner joining the Purifiers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
That's always been the struggle of the xmen, as it was pretty much during the civil rights era when they were created. You got this massive section of the populous that pretty much views you as less than, but if you fight back you prove their point.
Yep, pretty much the civil rights movement. Cops beat the hell out of black folks but if black folks responded they got branded as the violent aggressors.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #21
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
So did I. Like he didn't even count.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #22
jmc247
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not being on a crusade didn't get Sentinels to not try to hunt down Andy and Lauren for manifesting their powers. Dreamer was shot and killed as well in the end because she is virtually a legal non-entity that Trask Industries after getting handed her could do with what they will including make her a science experiment and slave. We are talking more early 30s Germany then 2018 America.

Lorna doesn't act and the Hound program goes national and then international and you have mutant slaves everywhere hunting mutants. She does act and she consigns herself and those around her to a war without end. Though in her logic they are already in the middle of the war if they accept it or not.

The only peaceful sanctuary is other countries like Mexico from a government that is enacting the slow motion eradication of mutants here and Mexico might not have been save if the Hound program spread globally.

The Entertainment Weekly article got it right IMHO.

Quote:
Most impossible choice: To kill Campbell, or not to kill him? Polaris went the former, and it’s honestly hard to blame her. Serving justice and not harming innocents are fine goals, but in a life-and-death struggle for the shape of the world, they require sacrifices of their own.

Polaris wasn’t willing to make them anymore, and in doing so she stopped both a true-believer ideologue from taking aim at the presidency and a brilliant mad scientist from figuring out the mutant cure. But it was certainly a major choice, and I can’t wait to feel more of its impact next year.

http://ew.com/recap/marvels-the-gift...on-1-finale/3/

Last edited by jmc247; 01-16-2018 at 04:55 PM.
jmc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #23
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Well, we will see if Campbell is really gone. I can definitely see Ahab as being a precurser to the Prime Sentinels.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I'm with Sithborg; Campbell feels lie he could still be alive. He gives off some vaguely Sinister vibes, and the background they just gave him feels less like a "why he is dedicated to killing mutants" motivation and more of a "why he is dedicated to exploiting mutants" one. His brother suffering from cystic fibrosis does not connect to wishing to kill mutants, and even his explanation to the Senator about wanting to help people with genetic mutations feels like it doesn't jive with a "KILL ALL MUTANTS!" vibe.

Regardless, I expect either him to return and possible make himself a mutate or Turner to be revealed as an unknowing mutant; the the kind of cruel ironic irony these kinds of stories live for.

And at the very least, I don't think the Hounds are done. The lab is still out there, the weapons system of combining blood and powers is proven, and if anything, it's likely the death of the Senator will simply invigorate the Purifyer's' political power and get the program fast tracked. Which of course is kind of the ultimate philosophical point about the Magneto vs Xavier debate: the violence-as-the-favored-resort philosophy often seeks tactical instead of strategic objectives, which require diplomacy and integration with the rest of society. That's not to say that violence is not a valid response to persecution; more that the scale of violence that the most powerful mutants can bring to bear has sociological consequences which they're often unwilling to consider.

Lorna crashing the plane and the Cuckoos forcing the Sentinel agents to commit suicide both show a level of overkill similar to the Fenris twins bringing down whole buildings. While it is a targeted strike, it cut such a wide swath of destruction so effortlessly that *of course* it will end up backfiring. You need to cut away at the "fight" part of the fight-or-flight reflex people enter when they fear you, either by appealing to their empathy or reasoning for safety; the person who believes that they're likely not to get hurt by you if they don't mess with you can be reasoned with as opposed to the person who thinks that they'll be killed on a whim if it's convenient.

And that's also why I liked the word choice they gave the Cuckoos when complaining about the team failing to stop Campbell. The whole "them" and "they" verbiage made it clear the Cuckoos regard humans as totally separate from mutant kind, which is always rich when you consider just how many mutants have regular human parents (and in some continuities, children). It emphasizes how they human vs mutant BS is really just species suicide if carried to its greatest extent.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters Trailer: https://youtu.be/Cfg11CEN5Cg Shazam Trailer: https://youtu.be/kYskM7YUxYk Young Justice Season 3 Trailer: https://youtu.be/G1hMOezswOQ Aquaman Trailer: https://youtu.be/2bObibSNjk4
The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #25
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

^ Yes, by all accounts the speciesism in the X-Men mythos is scientifically unfonded in-universe, Sapiens and Superior are the same species still.

Seeing the finale dropped on MLK Day (probably just coincidence, I know) should give pause to whoever thinks the series is positing Polaris' approach as equally agreeable as Xavier's.
It's not even paralleling Malcom X, who accepted violence in self-defence.

To me Polaris seems headed toward full on terrorism, if not technically already there.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!

WAKANDA FOREVAAA!!!

Last edited by ludovica; 01-16-2018 at 08:06 PM.
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote