The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,355
Default Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Mayimbe here.

What’s poppin’ this morning folks?

I’ll tell ya.

Source material because as of this morning, Justice League is still directorless.

You know how Nolan and Goyer went back to Batman comic books like Year One, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, No Man’s Land, and Knightfall for their inspiration behind The Dark Knight Trilogy?

Well, according to sources, hot screenwriter Will Beale who got the writing gig for 2015′s Justice League movie, is getting his inspiration from Gerry Conway’s…

Justice League Of America 183-185

Released back in 1980, issues 183-185 were the annual team-up for the Justice League of America and the Justice Society of America.

In a nutshell, plotwise, the three issue arc involves Darkseid planning the destruction of Earth by blasting it with a ray that’ll move Apokolips into the Earth’s place.

Sounds like some Armageddonesque end of the Earth as we know it kind of stakes fit for summer tentpole event film if you ask me.

The three issues were scripted by Gerry Conway with pencils by Puerto Rican superstar and fellow Flushing, NY native George Perez. George if you are reading I still have the comic bags you did back in the day for Mike’s Comic Hut. Also of note, Jim Starlin did two covers. In my opinion, Jim Starlin would later have the HOTTEST run of Batman stories in the late 1980s which consisted of my favorite Batman story Ten Nights Of The Beast, along with The Cult, and of course the death of Jason Todd in A Death In The Family.

Last night I dropped into Midtown Comics for a hot minute to peep the issues collected in trade paperback form in Crisis On Multiple Earths Volume 5.

The trade paperback is worth a look if you want to know more.

Until the next episode boys and girls…
http://latino-review.com/2012/12/13/...-league-movie/

__________________
2011: "This movie sucked because of executive meddling."

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
mclay18
Side-Kick
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,456
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Interesting find.

Perhaps with this news, and Snyder and Nolan being tightlipped about their involvement, maybe they're soliciting potential directors with WB's approval?

Interesting that one of the issues lent itself to one of Superman: The Animated Series final episodes, 'Apokolips Now!'

__________________
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine Channing Tatum grinding his crotch in a human face, forever."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Rowsdower!
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wallachia
Posts: 27,939
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Interesting that they're going with something this far back. I've never read this story, but I would guess that all of the Justice Society stuff would be cut out, unless they wanted to include a nod to it by referencing an old team of heroes in the 40s banding together.

I always found it funny that the the common language of Apokalips is apparently English with spelling errors.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Just read the summary of the stories-apparently we are dealing with a story where Earths greatest heroes are transported to New Genesis to save it from Apokolips,Its very interesting too say the least and it has so much potential.

Firstly it is drastically different from the the Avengers 1 as the League isnt protecting earth-its protecting another planet entirely.Just thinking of the visuals of the league fighting in a futuristic planet gainat the hordes of apokolips is fapworthy.

Secondly The story has some heroes being transported from parallel universes.So the stry cld incorporate the idea that each hero inhabits a solo universe unto himself and are only united on New genesis by being summoned.They dont have to be in a shared universe for the story to work.Its freaking brilliant.Also introducing a multiverse concept opens the door for a Crisis

...But there is a Downside

Avengers 2 might well take place in space if the Infinity gauntlet rumour is true.If this is true,a Justice league movie willl be called a huge copycat if they follow suit by having an adventure in space.Its amazing that as awesome as this storyline is its the one storyline that worsen their copycat situation.

Assuming Avengers 2 is a space adventure
EDIT:I am now convinced that Marvel deliberately picked Thanos because they somehow knew of DC/WBs plans for a Jl movie.Because Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet storyline is the perfect Cockblock to Darkseid and this storyline


Last edited by Zionite1; 12-13-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Willi Berg
Matrix Baby
 
Willi Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,945
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Really surprised that WB could be deciding to go offworld from the get-go. It will be a lot to take in.

If they do go this way I just wonder what will be the look of the film, and will they treat it as this JLA adventure with no big introductions of each hero on Earth.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
The story has some heroes being transported from parallel universes.So the stry cld incorporate the idea that each hero inhabits a solo universe unto himself and are only united on New genesis by being summoned.They dont have to be in a shared universe for the story to work.Its freaking brilliant.Also introducing a multiverse concept opens the door for a Crisis
Interesting. A multiverse could be a great way to solve that problem. Unless they're just finding the easiest way to not deal with a story set on Earth because they don't know what the solo movies will be about. So once they get to the solo movies then they can set them back on Earth with all their own separate stories. Who knows what WB are doing, or even if they have that much of a plan set out.

I am going to try to read these issues asap.

Willi Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
Really surprised that WB could be deciding to go offworld from the get-go. It will be a lot to take in.

If they do go this way I just wonder what will be the look of the film, and will they treat it as this JLA adventure with no big introductions of each hero on Earth.


Interesting. A multiverse could be a great way to solve that problem. Unless they're just finding the easiest way to not deal with a story set on Earth because they don't know what the solo movies will be about. So once they get to the solo movies then they can set them back on Earth with all their own separate stories. Who knows what WB are doing, or even if they have that much of a plan set out.

I am going to try to read these issues asap.
Very interesting indeed.
It has been argued that using Darkseid in the first movie is stupid beacuse they cant top him unless they do Crisis in the second movie.Well if they go with the multiverse route in this story they are pretty set to use any Crisis storyline in sequels.My guess is JL2 will have Antimonitor as the villain and JL3 will have Darkseid return in a Final crisis like storyline.

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Willi Berg
Matrix Baby
 
Willi Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,945
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
It has been argued that using Darkseid in the first movie is stupid beacuse they cant top him unless they do Crisis in the second movie.Well if they go with the multiverse route in this story they are pretty set to use any Crisis storyline in sequels.My guess is JL2 will have Antimonitor as the villain and JL3 will have Darkseid return in a Final crisis like storyline.
I am curious as to how big and complex WB would be willing to go.

And curious how Latino Review seem to be getting a lot of info. now for this (unless they're being led astray of course.)

WB would want the JL movies to all be large scale. And the solo movies would be pretty large scale as well, so why not go all out for a JLA movie right away, to set the standard for a teamup movie compared with a solo movie.

But if they would want to use a Crisis storyline they would have to have a shared universe onscreen. I mean, these superheroes would have to deal with each other on (our) Earth as well.

Willi Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,355
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

elmayimbe has the outline. I think he's leaking out these details bit by bit as he sees fit.

__________________
2011: "This movie sucked because of executive meddling."

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I am curious as to how big and complex WB would be willing to go.

And curious how Latino Review seem to be getting a lot of info. now for this (unless they're being led astray of course.)
Mybe WB is leaking it for buzz....or it cld just be WB leaking flase info to lead Marvel and fans astray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post

But if they would want to use a Crisis storyline they would have to have a shared universe onscreen. I mean, these superheroes would have to deal with each other on (our) Earth as well.
Not sure I follow.A Crisis storyline ideally takes place across a multiverse.If the movie happens well be seeing stuff going down acrooss the individual universes of this movie

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Dark Knight
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: LOST Island
Posts: 15,490
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I am curious as to how big and complex WB would be willing to go.

And curious how Latino Review seem to be getting a lot of info. now for this (unless they're being led astray of course.)

WB would want the JL movies to all be large scale. And the solo movies would be pretty large scale as well, so why not go all out for a JLA movie right away, to set the standard for a teamup movie compared with a solo movie.

But if they would want to use a Crisis storyline they would have to have a shared universe onscreen. I mean, these superheroes would have to deal with each other on (our) Earth as well.



Latino could be being led off the real trail like how they were led off the trail for Star Trek sequel movie info.

I do think Darkseid will most definitely be the baddie though.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold
 
Sub-Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,207
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Just read the summary of the stories-apparently we are dealing with a story where Earths greatest heroes are transported to New Genesis to save it from Apokolips,Its very interesting too say the least and it has so much potential.

Firstly it is drastically different from the the Avengers 1 as the League isnt protecting earth-its protecting another planet entirely.Just thinking of the visuals of the league fighting in a futuristic planet gainat the hordes of apokolips is fapworthy.

Secondly The story has some heroes being transported from parallel universes.So the stry cld incorporate the idea that each hero inhabits a solo universe unto himself and are only united on New genesis by being summoned.They dont have to be in a shared universe for the story to work.Its freaking brilliant.Also introducing a multiverse concept opens the door for a Crisis

...But there is a Downside

Avengers 2 might well take place in space if the Infinity gauntlet rumour is true.If this is true,a Justice league movie willl be called a huge copycat if they follow suit by having an adventure in space.Its amazing that as awesome as this storyline is its the one storyline that worsen their copycat situation.

Assuming Avengers 2 is a space adventure
EDIT:I am now convinced that Marvel deliberately picked Thanos because they somehow knew of DC/WBs plans for a Jl movie.Because Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet storyline is the perfect Cockblock to Darkseid and this storyline

i've always thought that the multiverse would be a great way for the dc heroes to come together. it'd be great if instead of earth 2/earth 1, each hero exists in their own universe, and they are brought to new genesis by orion or metron to help them stop darkseid, but then he turns his sights on earth.

i don't really think thanos is going to be the villain of avengers 2 especially if the guardians of the galaxy movie comes out. they would need thanos in that movie.

Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Edguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 477
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
i've always thought that the multiverse would be a great way for the dc heroes to come together. it'd be great if instead of earth 2/earth 1, each hero exists in their own universe, and they are brought to new genesis by orion or metron to help them stop darkseid, but then he turns his sights on earth.
Yeah, no. Please God no!

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,983
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

^This!

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,632
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Same as the JGL rumor, same as Darkseid being the big bad, hell same as this film even being made: I'll believe it when I see it.

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,589
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

That sounds goddamn brilliant. So Nolans Batman OR a rebooted Batman can probably work then? If it's dealing with different universes coming together.

Didnt Whedon say the next Avengers would be smaller scale, more personal?

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
That sounds goddamn brilliant. So Nolans Batman OR a rebooted Batman can probably work then? If it's dealing with different universes coming together.

Didnt Whedon say the next Avengers would be smaller scale, more personal?
Damn straight.Though I dont want Nolans Batman though.He stands no chance on New genesis.
But still its a brilliant idea.
Oh and Whedon said Avengers 2 wld be personal but corrected in later interviews that it didnt mean smaller in scale basically he imples that avengers 2 will simply be more emotional.So we really dont know anything

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

THis storyline is the best idea for a no-solo movie JL and at the same time cld turn into the worst idea because of avengers 2...and lets not forget GOTG.
Marvel really screwed DC over here and i cant say i blame them. WB better pray to Zod that marvels doesnt plan infinty gantlet with avengers 2 or thy are screwed

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,589
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

I can care less what fans think or how much this movie makes. As long as it's made and it's good then great. Itll make a lot of money anyway. There will always be a Marvel crowd in this who are saying THEYRE RIPPING IT OFF or regular folks who feel the same...all you have to do is tell them Justice League happened in the comics first and so did Darkseid so screw off.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I can care less what fans think or how much this movie makes. As long as it's made and it's good then great. Itll make a lot of money anyway. There will always be a Marvel crowd in this who are saying THEYRE RIPPING IT OFF or regular folks who feel the same...all you have to do is tell them Justice League happened in the comics first and so did Darkseid so screw off.
It doesnt matter what comic fans think but it really matters what the general audience think.They might decide not to go to see a "ripoff" when they already have seen the real thing-"Avengers 2".This is really frustrating as this is the best storyline for a JL with no solos-Will Beall has to be a genius to come up with this.

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
DChero
Out of Work Superhero
 
DChero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA U.S.A.
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
It doesnt matter what comic fans think but it really matters what the general audience think.They might decide not to go to see a "ripoff" when they already have seen the real thing-"Avengers 2".This is really frustrating as this is the best storyline for a JL with no solos-Will Beall has to be a genius to come up with this.
I don't see big deal with two team-up movies. Do you think that most people would prefer to see another Avengers movie or the first installment of the Justice League. I see them both succeeding.

When it comes to the story, I'm not crazy about the selection. I'd prefer it to be more grounded to Earth. I really want to see a living universe for all of these characters, but I don't want to see inter-dimensional elements. That's just my preference, so I don't fault anyone for wanting this story. It's unique, but not my cup o' tea. I'd still see it though.

DChero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
I don't see big deal with two team-up movies. Do you think that most people would prefer to see another Avengers movie or the first installment of the Justice League. I see them both succeeding.

When it comes to the story, I'm not crazy about the selection. I'd prefer it to be more grounded to Earth. I really want to see a living universe for all of these characters, but I don't want to see inter-dimensional elements. That's just my preference, so I don't fault anyone for wanting this story. It's unique, but not my cup o' tea. I'd still see it though.
Its not just that its two teamup movies. Its two teamup movies with a very similar villain and a very similar storyline.Its almost like releasing Raimis spiderman and Tasm the same year. Exagerrating of course but you get my piont
EDIT:and they dont have to go with a multiverse approach-story works just as well in a singular universe

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
DChero
Out of Work Superhero
 
DChero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA U.S.A.
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Its not just that its two teamup movies. Its two teamup movies with a very similar villain and a very similar storyline.Its almost like releasing Raimis spiderman and Tasm the same year. Exagerrating of course but you get my piont
EDIT:and they dont have to go with a multiverse approach-story works just as well in a singular universe
I do see the similarities, but at the end of the day people aren't going to see the villain, they want to see Batman and Superman together. Spider-man may be the only other superhero that almost every member of the general audience is that familiar with. That would be some event.

Marvel did a great job in introducing four albeit moderatly popular heroes and putting out a great series, but I don't think that we'll ever consider Iron-Man's popularity to be on equal ground to Superman and Batman to the general audience. Essentially, people have different reasons to see these movies.

DChero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,983
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
It doesnt matter what comic fans think but it really matters what the general audience think.They might decide not to go to see a "ripoff" when they already have seen the real thing-"Avengers 2".This is really frustrating as this is the best storyline for a JL with no solos-Will Beall has to be a genius to come up with this.
I don't think that general audiences are not unfamiliar with the Justice League brand (nor with a villain like Darkseid for that matter). Keep in mind that a large number of folks (not being comic-book fans) will be young enough to have experienced the Justice league as a cartoon series back in the late 1990's early part of the turn of the century, as well as the series, "Smallville" which ran for 10 seasons over the last decade and featured some of the characters (although re-imagined) that will be in this film. The general audience (excluding serious comic book fans) will not be too familiar with a character like Thanos, but will be more inclined to know a character like Darkseid.

It would also depend on how well this story line is being sold and how they promote the characters. If they make a good effort explaining the origins of the character and differentiate him from Marvel's version, it should become apparent that the Marvel character would be the true "knock-off". Irrespective of all of this, the producers need to focus on the casting and the storyline, and not be afraid to feature characters like Superman and Batman in the picture. They are going to be key in hooking this picture.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't think that general audiences are not unfamiliar with the Justice League brand (nor with a villain like Darkseid for that matter). Keep in mind that a large number of folks (not being comic-book fans) will be young enough to have experienced the Justice league as a cartoon series back in the late 1990's early part of the turn of the century, as well as the series, "Smallville" which ran for 10 seasons over the last decade and featured some of the characters (although re-imagined) that will be in this film. The general audience (excluding serious comic book fans) will not be too familiar with a character like Thanos, but will be more inclined to know a character like Darkseid.

It would also depend on how well this story line is being sold and how they promote the characters. If they make a good effort explaining the origins of the character and differentiate him from Marvel's version, it should become apparent that the Marvel character would be the true "knock-off". Irrespective of all of this, the producers need to focus on the casting and the storyline, and not be afraid to feature characters like Superman and Batman in the picture. They are going to be key in hooking this picture.
All this doesnt matter if they go ahead with a villain and storyline remniscient of Avengers 2 it wld look like they are copying avengers story.Wherea if they had a different villain and story itd be a different story


Last edited by Zionite1; 12-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
Dark Knight
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: LOST Island
Posts: 15,490
Default Re: Justice League's Source Material, Issues 183-185

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I can care less what fans think or how much this movie makes. As long as it's made and it's good then great. Itll make a lot of money anyway. There will always be a Marvel crowd in this who are saying THEYRE RIPPING IT OFF or regular folks who feel the same...all you have to do is tell them Justice League happened in the comics first and so did Darkseid so screw off.


Exactly.

I just hope most of the Justice Society stuff is cut from the screenplay if Beall is indeed basing his JL movie script off of this JLA story from the 80's.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.