Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #551
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
What makes him look like Wolverine beside a wig and growing a beard?
When you respect the character you are playing, when you truly get to know that character, and really want to portray that character is the best way possible and that turns into a passion, you become that character and it is far more than a wig and a beard.

Thus far, either these actors really don't know enough about the characters they are portraying to talk about them, or Fox is not allowing it....whatever the case, we are not hearing anything that tells us they have that same kind of passion. Maybe they do, but they certainly are not letting us in on it...

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #552
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
When you respect the character you are playing, when you truly get to know that character, and really want to portray that character is the best way possible and that turns into a passion, you become that character and it is far more than a wig and a beard.

Thus far, either these actors really don't know enough about the characters they are portraying to talk about them, or Fox is not allowing it....whatever the case, we are not hearing anything that tells us they have that same kind of passion. Maybe they do, but they certainly are not letting us in on it...
I'm really curious how they'll do Ben. I think Jamie has the talent to pull it off if he's given the right script and Trank allows him.

But based on everything we've seen and heard - the emphasis on how unpleasant and difficult these powers are and the 'tragic' comments from Trank and his comparisons to The Fly - I have a hard time imagining Ben being Ben in that environment.

His great, unique characteristic was his ability to laugh even when he had it so tough, but if Trank wants to play up the tragedy, I can't imagine Ben being Ben.

The fact that nobody is smiling in anything we've seen makes me feel like the tone of this film is going to be very dour.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; Yesterday at 07:59 PM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM   #553
Urich Leeds
AKA Phil Sheldon

Quote:
Nothing, which is my point because they aren't based on real people.
But they are based on characters from a VISUAL MEDIUM. The way comic book characters look (in the comics AND in adaptation/translations) means EVERYTHING, whether people want to admit it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
You would too if you were always rock hard.
Urich Leeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #554
TheComicbookKid
There is Risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I'm really curious how they'll do Ben. I think Jamie has the talent to pull it off if he's given the right script and Trank allows him.

But based on everything we've seen and heard - the emphasis on how unpleasant and difficult these powers are and the 'tragic' comments from Trank and his comparisons to The Fly - I have a hard time imagining Ben being Ben in that environment.

His great, unique characteristic was his ability to laugh even when he had it so tough, but if Trank wants to play up the tragedy, I can't imagine Ben being Ben.

The fact that nobody is smiling in anything we've seen makes me feel like the tone of this film is going to be very dour.
I agree with your worry, but I also don't want him to be joking like nothing major just happened by the end of this movie. I want to see him work back to making a new life. I want him to still be Ben Grimm and laugh with his friend Reed but to also recognize the gravity of what this means. And see him and Johnny bonding.

Seeing him fix the bike and then having hands that don't allow him to do those small things would be a good emotional point(instead of look I ate through a fork funny right). But to also see the bigger picture and protect his friends. That's why I thought the "we are stronger together" line sounded line Ben.

Old Today, 01:34 AM   #555
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:

Acting is a different kind of gig, that few of us can truly understand. I have no idea what goes into playing a character and making them your own. Which I believe great actors do, like Robert Downey Jr or a Heath Ledger. RDJ's Tony Stark is not the one I read during the Armor Wars or Extremis. There have been some great Jokers but they are all very different.

What I do know is I don't need lip service from actors. Telling me how much they love this or that, or snapping pictures with them reading comics. Some fans seem to see that as a sign of passion for the character but I do not. Passion for the character is Thomas Jane making a fan fiction film or Ryan Reynolds championing a Dead Pool movie for years. Going out to these small conventions to meet the hardcore fans while your still playing the character. Otherwise they just might be like Michael Keaton's character in Birdman. Deeply resenting the character in secret, at least it seemed like it was.

Old Today, 01:00 PM   #556
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urich Leeds View Post
But they are based on characters from a VISUAL MEDIUM. The way comic book characters look (in the comics AND in adaptation/translations) means EVERYTHING, whether people want to admit it or not.
THIS RIGHT HERE, is what many do not get. It is the reason MANY are upset with this adaptation....because though some changes will happen, the major changes to visual concepts of the comics do make a difference to the fans.

There are going to always be some changes, sometimes because the visual on the page does not translate well to the screen...but none of the changes we have seen thus far fall into that category, they seem to be change for the sake of change.

For me personally, nothing in these changes is all that major for me, except that Mara just does not have the look of the Sue I have seen over the years....ALTHOUGH, she does bare a resemblance to an artist or 2 from the UFF so I'm not so upset with that choice, I will give her a chance for sure.

As far as the others, it's not a major OMG they look nothing like the comics, but I have to admit, the cast certainly don't jump off the pages of the comics. AND....I want to see Doom in all of his glory, just to see how that comes off on the big screen. I wasn't real thrilled about seeing a big purple guy named Galactus, but I was very curious how it was going to be done, and we got a cloud.....

I think my main problem is that so many are so quick to jump to conclusions when it comes to motives behind why so many are not happy with the cast...when it boils down to exactly what you said, and really nothing more....and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that....

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Old Today, 01:04 PM   #557
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Acting is a different kind of gig, that few of us can truly understand. I have no idea what goes into playing a character and making them your own. Which I believe great actors do, like Robert Downey Jr or a Heath Ledger. RDJ's Tony Stark is not the one I read during the Armor Wars or Extremis. There have been some great Jokers but they are all very different.

What I do know is I don't need lip service from actors. Telling me how much they love this or that, or snapping pictures with them reading comics. Some fans seem to see that as a sign of passion for the character but I do not. Passion for the character is Thomas Jane making a fan fiction film or Ryan Reynolds championing a Dead Pool movie for years. Going out to these small conventions to meet the hardcore fans while your still playing the character. Otherwise they just might be like Michael Keaton's character in Birdman. Deeply resenting the character in secret, at least it seemed like it was.
I can tell the difference between "lip service" and "true passion", and if I miss the mark, I can tell on the screen. I have also seen where actors absolutely hated the character they were playing, but they knew the character inside and out, and therefore were able to portray them with a passion. Perfect example: Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher....

Maya Angelou ...

Old Today, 03:35 PM   #558
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can tell the difference between "lip service" and "true passion", and if I miss the mark, I can tell on the screen. I have also seen where actors absolutely hated the character they were playing, but they knew the character inside and out, and therefore were able to portray them with a passion. Perfect example: Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher....
Sean Connery thoroughly HATED James Bond, yet it was an absolutely iconic performance.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:25 PM   #559
Joe Rockhead
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Sean Connery thoroughly HATED James Bond, yet it was an absolutely iconic performance.
Yeah, but did he hate Bond Before "Dr. No" or after a couple of films?

Typecasting is rough on any actor.

Joe Rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:50 PM   #560
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rockhead View Post
Yeah, but did he hate Bond Before "Dr. No" or after a couple of films?

Typecasting is rough on any actor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Connery
I have always hated that damned James Bond.
According to him, he never liked it.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 PM   #561
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

I doubt Forest Whittaker and Bruno Ganz liked Idi Amin or Adolf Hitler either

Old Today, 06:18 PM   #562
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDaveBanner View Post
I doubt Forest Whittaker and Bruno Ganz liked Idi Amin or Adolf Hitler either
Exactly, but I bet they can tell you all kinds of intricacies of their characters, facial expressions, tone in which they spoke, tidbits of information that many do not know because they took the time to get to know the person they were playing, whether it be a real icon, villain, hero, or character from a comic book that has been around for over 4 decades....

Maya Angelou ...