The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #626
Awest66
Side-Kick

Default Re: You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 10

Quote:
Second thing: pumped about the Penguin possibly being the main villain of the Batman. I know Joker’s probably happy about this rumor. I prefer Cobblepot over Nygma.

I completely agree. I know I've said this a lot but the Penguin is a way better character than a lot of villains fans suggest (i.e Black Mask)

Awest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #627
JackWhite
Third Man

I think I could get onboard with fully investing my anticipation in this purposed Matt Reeves Batman film. Especially if Penguin winds up being in it.

I just hope they let Reeves make his film and he doesn't have any mandates to shoe-horn any DCEU nonsense in his film.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #628
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Two things:

Batlobster, that 80’s trailer is f’n amazing. Soooo good. It brings me back to the days of Die Hard, Terminator, Robocop etc. Really well done. Makes me feel like going back to VHS forever!
Thanks bud! Really appreciate it. I got hit with a sudden inspiration for the idea a couple of months back when I realized the 10th anniversary was coming up. I know there have been other attempts at this sorta thing before and I've always enjoyed them, but my "aha" moment came when I was thinking about how the Nolan Bat-films were shot in such an old school, practical manner that they are kinda timeless to begin with and could easily pass for older movies if presented in such a way. Plus, so many good one-liners and badassery on display. It just made too much sense in my head, heh.

I do have ideas for Begins and Rises in this format too, eventually I'll get around to 'em. The whole concept was pretending what if that WB launched the Batman franchise shortly after the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, so I've got the whole alternate timeline mapped out in my head haha.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 07-20-2018 at 11:29 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:58 AM   #629
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

10 Years Later: ‘The Dark Knight’ Is Still the Most Important Superhero Movie Ever

Old 07-21-2018, 03:24 AM   #630
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awest66 View Post
I completely agree. I know I've said this a lot but the Penguin is a way better character than a lot of villains fans suggest (i.e Black Mask)
I agree with this, I prefer Penguin to Black Mask.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #631
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

I love The Penguin. Always have. My second favorite Batman villain.

Its awesome how these kinds of articles have been all over the net celebrating TDK's anniversary.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #632
Ryan
Side-Kick

TDK just cemented everything for me. I read comics as a kid, got out of that whole scene for about 15 years or more but got drawn back in with a book called Mythology which was a collection of superhero art by Alex Ross. From there I tried to 'catch up' with all things marvel and Dc during that gap.

Not since the Batman 66 tv series (which I had to go a friend's house at lunch time to catch reruns during the 80s...we didn't have cable) had anything captured my interest like Batman Begins. Begins had made me 'believe' in Batman and the genre again. The Dark Knight however took everything to a whole new level for me as a fan in that not only could superhero movies be great, but if taken seriously, could be legitimate masterpieces of filmmaking.
As The Joker knows, since 2008 I've spent the better part of my free time (to my wife's chagrin) collecting, researching and talking to the people behind the scenes of the Dark Knight Trilogy films. I'm glad this thread still stays alive and I still check it daily so thank you to everyone here for all the posts over the years.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #633
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

That's awesome Ryan. Cheers sir.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #634
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

10 Years Later, The Dark Knight Still Matters

Old 07-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #635
shauner111
Side-Kick

It’s true though, those citizens would have blown up the boat full of prisoners if it was real life lol.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #636
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
It’s true though, those citizens would have blown up the boat full of prisoners if it was real life lol.
I don't know that I agree. Most people I would argue are like the man on the boat: a bag of hot air. Taking a human life, no matter how lousy the other person may be, isn't something you can do on a whim especially if you're a well-adjusted person.

Movies don't. Especially not the diseased, cancerous, leprosy-induced, kolera that is a Snyder exercise in brain death you would call movies.

To equate the struggle for civil rights of black people to DCEU should be grounds for admittance to a mental institution
DoomRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #637
Herofan
Side-Kick

I think most people would not be too hesitant to use violence if it was a self-defense situation, let alone if it was as in the film more indirectly done and the threat against them had a definite deadline.

Herofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #638
shauner111
Side-Kick

Human beings have shown time and time again that when our backs are up against the wall, it's every man for himself so to speak. Panic causes people to act selfishly, and i don't believe for a second that they would spare each others lives. It's a nice message in the movie to have Joker being proven wrong, where Batman shows him how ugly he is. But as i get older, i don't agree that it would happen that way. I'm talking about the majority. I don't know if i would have the balls to do it and of course some people wouldn't do it, but the majority? That boat would be blown up and Joker would be laughing his ass, Batman with his mouth open for a half an hour.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #639
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think the thing that would freak me out about it is there'd be no way to guarantee Joker wouldn't blow the boat up regardless of whether you killed the other one. You're dealing with a psychopath after all. The thought of my last act being mass murder, and then dying for it anyway would really f*** with my head.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #640
fan4stic
Side-Kick

The thing about TDK is that it doesn't pretend everyone everywhere is good, as far as I've seen. It shows 2 sides of the same coin (ha) of every group pretty much, to me.

Dirty cops-One who seems to be selfish in Wertz. The other who says she's doing it out of debt because of her mother's hospital bills.

Mob-Moroni thinks this craziness is too much. The russian guy is all for it.

On the boats-The votes as far as I remember on the civilians come out in favor of blowing up the criminals, but no one wants to do it. On the criminals boat, the cop lets the criminal take the trigger away from him, but the criminal throws it away.

Some people are just angered outside when Joker tells them to kill Coleman Reese, but only a few people try to actually kill him.

fan4stic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #641
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah.

I think the thing is, Joker sees people as very simple, easy to manipulate beings. He's right in that we're capable of truly horrible things, but I think he also misses that people are...complicated.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #642
James.B
In search of the absurd

Interview with the make-up artist from The Dark Knight

Old 07-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #643
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Hard to tell how the boat thing would have happened in real life. I mean, it depends on how panic-y people get. Different personalities can reduce or increase anxiety pretty quickly, so I don't think one boat incident by itself would say anything about all of humanity.

Generally speaking, I do think the result would play the same. Or at the very least I don't think the number of people who would have pulled the trigger vastly outnumber the ones who wouldn't. There's plenty of examples of people going berserk in times of crisis, but there's also many examples of the opposite happening. Take for example the volcano that reduced us to a few thousand and almost made us extinct. Also a lot of the freedoms and luxuries we have today are the result of people coming together in times of crisis and fighting to restore a sense of 'order', depending on what it was. There's some truth to what the Joker is saying, but I don't think he's as on-the-point as he thinks he is.

In retrospect, I think Heath's biggest achievement as the Joker is to be the first Joker to make you question if he's really insane. The Joker always says he's not insane, but all insane people think they're not insane. Except for maybe Mark Hamill, not many people have pulled that off. It's hard to pull off with psychopaths in general, not just with the Joker.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 07-28-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #644
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

"Turd in the wind"

I hope the Venom movie ends up being more entertainingly than boring or frustrating.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:01 PM   #645
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

That final scene in the convenience was very misplaced, certainly. Still, I'm hyped for it.

Movies don't. Especially not the diseased, cancerous, leprosy-induced, kolera that is a Snyder exercise in brain death you would call movies.

To equate the struggle for civil rights of black people to DCEU should be grounds for admittance to a mental institution
DoomRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #646
Chip Chipperson
None of this matters.

How is everyone in the TDKR lounge doing

We all gotta catch up one of these days!

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #647
Herofan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevant View Post
Most superhero films tell us there’s hope: A hero will come and save us from the bad guy. The Dark Knight responds with the idea that no hero can save us from the bad guy because the villain lives in us.
More like we can't save ourselves but a noble few can save us if they're willing to bend rules and be very sacrificing.

Herofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:22 AM   #648
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRulz View Post
That final scene in the convenience was very misplaced, certainly. Still, I'm hyped for it.
I like the scared look on that guy's face, and the more confused than shocked look on the clerk's face.

YOUTUBE

Old 08-04-2018, 04:41 AM   #649
Iceman
Infinity War!

I really want to see a new Arkham style Penguin mob boss, but I also really want to see Black Mask done well.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #650
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awest66 View Post
Well we haven't seen the Penguin on screen in nearly 30 years (at least in a live-action film), and no one's really done the "modern" version of the character, proper. So I'm all up for it. I know fans say Joker, Catwoman, or Two-Face as well, but Nolan did those very well. Bane too. Let's focus on ones who haven't had their fair shake.

With that said, I'm kind of partial to the Arkham games' Penguin with the cockney accent. It'd be kind of amusing if they borrowed from that since the Arkham games so shamelessly borrowed elements from the Nolan movies over the years.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote