The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fandom Come > Fan Art

Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #51
RetrogradeOrbit
Do I look like I'm joking

Default Re: Great Scott! It’s a hoverboard thread...

Much sanding, filling and another couple of coats of primer later...

I think someone more skilled than I will have to get the remaining pits and scratches out!

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #52
RetrogradeOrbit

If I’m lucky, i.e. the primer has dried enough... I will get going on the top coats tomorrow.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 07-22-2018, 03:39 AM   #53
RetrogradeOrbit

After studying my reference pictures of the prop board, I have come to the conclusion that the silver coloured part of the "plate" is not just the base painted. It looks as if there is another circular piece just a couple of millimetres in thickness, painted silver and stuck on.
It is really hard to tell, but I am sure it is that way.

So, this morning the hunt was on for something that would fit the bill.

Luckily I found a bit of 2mm white styrene which had enough so that I could cut out two circles with a 50mm radius, giving me about a 5mm gap all round the main base.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #54
RetrogradeOrbit

These were lovingly sprayed with a quick blast of red primer.

For once, luck was on my side and there was no sanding needed as the styrene was sanded prior to the primer being applied. So I was able to give it a layer of chrome paint fairly quickly... And here they are. Came out fairly well.

These need to be glued onto the main plate after I have sprayed it up.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 AM   #55
RetrogradeOrbit

Started with a final very light rub down and washing the parts in washing up liquid to get rid of any grease spots.

Decided to start with the black, as I thought it would be easier to mask off for the red clamps later. Unfortunately, I think I was a bit heavy handed with the spray... Grrrrr.

There are no runs but there are some bubbles and the corners look like there has been some run-in... I will have to wait a long time before I can mask and paint the red for the clamps. My, fault, so...

The imperfections on top are going to be irrelevant, as those silver disks I made earlier are going on top! So at least one thing has gone right.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:48 AM   #56
RetrogradeOrbit

Actually, this went quite well...

Ready to be painted purple.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:52 AM   #57
RetrogradeOrbit

I honestly don't know how I got through life before owning my Dremel like tool...

Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 AM   #58
RetrogradeOrbit

And this is a quick look at what the silver disk will look like on the rest of the assembly...

Might just do the job.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:50 AM   #59
Xanado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrogradeOrbit View Post
I honestly don't know how I got through life before owning my Dremel like tool...
Nice to know

Xanado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:05 AM   #60
RetrogradeOrbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanado View Post
Nice to know
It is amazing. You should get one if you don't already own one...

Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #61
Xanado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrogradeOrbit View Post
It is amazing. You should get one if you don't already own one...
Sadly I'm not that lucky, but I am aloud to use a real cool workshop with some amazing tools in it, plus a 4k tv with Internet access and plex

Xanado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #62
RetrogradeOrbit

Sounds amazing... I wish I had something as good...

Old 07-22-2018, 05:47 AM   #63
RetrogradeOrbit

Despite the crappy black paintwork (which I can pull back once totally dry) it is coming together. So, here is a quick picture of where I am with the underside at the moment. I have also redesigned the underside decal for the second time as it was quite a bit off in the placement of the lines... Yeah...

But it's almost spot on now.

So, my attempt below...

Closely followed by a photo I took while we were watching BTTF II last night.

Obviously, I have not finished painting it yet, but I think (hope) the overall layout is close. But what I think is unimportant.
What do you lot think of it?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #64
RetrogradeOrbit

Tried latex as a masking tool so that I could put the red paint on...

In hindsight, the black paint just wasn’t ready to be mucked about with. But it seemed okay. I should have known better.
The latex reacted with the black paint and the edges of the red paint did not go down well.

For the other one I used low tack masking tape. This went a lot better. But the black still needs reworking.

I really need to learn extra patience when I get to the painting stage...

From a distance it looks passable I guess... But not to me.

I will have to leave all of this for several days at least, for the paint to properly harden. Then I can go back and tidy everything up.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #65
Brutikus
Peace Through Tyranny

As ever a marvel to watch this creative process

It is a VISUAL and therefore a VISCERAL BETRAYAL.STOP IT!"
Brutikus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #66
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

From a distance, it looks fabulous.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #67
RetrogradeOrbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
From a distance, it looks fabulous.
I have calculated that distance to be 2.75 miles...
Or should I say, "When you get 2.75 miles away from this baby you're going to see some serious s**t!"

On another note, as I have banned myself from painting for the foreseeable future. I have redone the top decal for the hoverboard, working off of the same design I mentioned before.
Was lucky enough to find an image of a hero prop hoverboard that was up for auction and there were a couple of good photos of the top side.

So, both of my decals are now fairly close to one of the movie versions (there were several!)
Guess today has not been a total waste then!

Old 07-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #68
RetrogradeOrbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutikus View Post
As ever a marvel to watch this creative process

Thank you. I just wish I hadn't screwed up the paint today...

Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 AM   #69
RetrogradeOrbit

Managing to stay away from the paint cans. Have printed out my redesigned decals onto high quality paper. 3 A4 sheets makes up one side. These were covered with adhesive clear book cover film to protect the finish and make it last. PVA glue was then applied to the board and the underside of each decal and then it was stuck on.

I have learnt my lesson and will not be looking at taking the masking tape off until tonight.

Making the holes in the decal to the existing screw holes for the clamps etc.

Getting the masking tape on.

Weighing it down...

Several hours later, let's do the top...

Protective film being carefully applied.

All joined together, let's carefully cut it up.

Just so you know, that is free hand cutting of those curves baby, yeah!

PVA glue watered down and brushed onto the board and decal. Decal placed and taped down.

Extra weight for good luck... After yesterday, I need some...

Last edited by RetrogradeOrbit; 07-23-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #70
RetrogradeOrbit

I took the clamps and battery pack parts and left them out in the sun for several hours this morning. Don't know if they are any drier. They sure are bubblier...

What I can say for certain is that there will be a lot of rubbing down. FFS...

Old 07-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #71
RetrogradeOrbit

Forgot to mention that my wonderful other half managed to source some green and pink velcro for the top of the board and some holographic-y sticky tape stuff for around the sides of the board.

Might try to put these on later perhaps. Let's see how the decals go first shall we?

Oh my, almost forgot, I still have to make the foot hold thingy for the top yet. Anyone know where I can get some funky pink fur for the foot strap?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #72
RetrogradeOrbit

The paint job on the clamps was so badly done that it still hadn't cured. I was able to take it back to primer with a cloth and white spirit.

No pictures of that process! But here is a couple of the repainting...

I am being a lot more sensible this time and taking my time. Lots of thin coats...

Last edited by RetrogradeOrbit; 07-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #73
RetrogradeOrbit

The decals are dry enough! Yay or as we say in ASCII \o/

Unfortunately, the joint lines on top are a bit visible. I guess I will have to live with that... For now...
The joints on the underside are going to be mainly covered with the doodads.

Last edited by RetrogradeOrbit; 07-23-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #74
RetrogradeOrbit

And I have part masked the levitation assembly(?!) in preparation for the black paint. But as I said before it will have to be at least 1, maybe 2 days before I can mask off the red clamps with masking tape.
It looks and feels good at the moment and I am not going to screw it up a second time...

Last edited by RetrogradeOrbit; 07-23-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #75
RetrogradeOrbit

So, what have we learnt from all this?

I'd say this:
Handy tip boys and girls, don't be heavy handed with your paint and avoid much heartache!