The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #26
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Comic Books

Yeah, I was hoping there would be more 50th one-shots lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #27
DN91
SSR Agent

Fitz-Simmons SHIELD 50th Anniversary one shot should've been a thing.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #28
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Oh, I agree with that. I feel like those two characters were the most interesting to transfer to the comics. Even first season version of them would have been pretty smooth.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #29
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

SHIELD #8 - No Angel

This one begins shockingly and disturbingly. In fact, for a Mark Waid story, it's a pretty dark premise. People are performing surgery on teenagers to make them look more appearing as designer slaves (the boy dead in the opening had angel wings grafted on). The horror continues with some surgeons with sharp, carnivorous teeth. Honestly, there's a certain amount of absurdity to the whole thing that makes it hard to accept. The team splits up with Coulson tracking down the buyers. Unfortunately, this is entirely off screen.

The leaves a team of Agent May and Agent Bobbi Mose. In other words, the guest is Mockingbird, continuing the theme of last week of using established comic characters that star on the show. Here, she is teamed up with May. Waid does a good job of capturing May's voice and she may have more dialogue than she usually does in the show. I feel I need greater familiarity with the comic character of Mockingbird. Her fear of fighting these people attacking her seemed odd without more context. Still, she solved that pretty well. It also helped May shine in kicking ass.

I don't love this one. The premise didn't do a good job of balancing the levity with the seriousness. On the other hand, I liked that May got quite a bit to do. So not too bad overall.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #30
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Almost the same Idea as Kilgrave as a kid on Jessica Jones

....to every King.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #31
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I apologize for the delay for this one. I had hoped to get it done yesterday, but I got slammed. With every issue before, my review was when I re-read the issue. Here I've finally caught up and am reading it for the first time. I apologize if this one is a bit more off the cuff because of that. This is the 50th Anniversary issue, which means multiple stories. However, it's the first one that seems to be a continuation of Waid's run, so I'll review that.

SHIELD #9 - The Man Called D.E.A.T.H.

This one starts off with a lovely retro feel, grainy coloring, original Nick Fury, and pure 60s spy pulp. Flash forward to today and Phil Coulson is trying to solve the case. And he's doing because he received an invite from the Man call D.E.A.T.H.!

The issue features three pages of near silence where the artwork does the job. The use of colors here is amazing as well. Cool little action scene. What follows is a dive into SHIELD's secret history. I won't go into details (although I don't think this is the first story to touch on it). Let's just say that anyone who didn't like Hydra's new reveal on the show will find it to be in good company. The character of D.E.A.T.H. (too bad there's another character named Death, or else I'd totally drop those periods) is, however, really interesting. What he states raised some interesting possibilities for the comics to follow the TV show. Suffice it to say, it would be big news, but perhaps too big of news?

Team watch: This issue is mostly a Coulson issue. There's another "Skye" reference for Daisy Johnson. What's interesting is the only guest appearances are with SHIELD agents. I think that actually helps the story. It's a true spy story that explores the history of the organization and doesn't have any unnecessary distractions. I'd say it's pretty good.

ETA: Apparently some of those retro scenes were actually retro and were unused scenes penciled by Jack Kirby and inked by Jim Steranko. Now that's really cool.

Last edited by Mike Murdock; 12-03-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #32
DN91
SSR Agent

D.E.A.T.H. was conceived as a proto-concept for what would become S.H.I.E.L.D., which actually makes it pretty neat that they incorporate that into this.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #33
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Interesting.

The Howling Commandos issue was actually pretty good (except the weird movie-poster like captions at the top of each page). I wasn't planning on adding it to my list of comics to read, but I might consider it (if it doesn't cross over with Guggenheim's Agents of SHIELD, though, it'll probably be MU). They even tie it into an Original Sin tie-in I wasn't expecting to ever be referenced again.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #34
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

SHIELD #10 - The Duck Called H.O.W.A.R.D.

The story starts off with the agent to be recruited. They have a package for him, which works better with the hint of the comically mundane. There's a bit of a discussion of his personality only to reveal he is Howard the Duck - told to meet Coulson at a duck shop. I have very little understanding of Howard the Duck except the basics. My only other comic I read with him was the Civil War tie-in (the movie doesn't count). This feels like a good representation, though.

Apparently, the story is the consequence of "a recent cross-dimensional event involving Spider-Man." I'm not a regular Spider-Man reader, but I gather it might be Spider Island. I'm glad Agent Warrick is here. Apparently, there is an evil frenchmen traveling from dimension to dimension to create a pate from Howard the Duck liver. After he's defeated, they fight a Galactus-like dude.

The issue is very bizzare and self-referential. Howard says almost nobody dies more than once and then proceeds to list a whole bunch of Marvel characters who have done precisely that. There's a scene with THor Howard the Duck, Thing Howard the Duck, Sister Maggie Howard the Duck, and a giant robot Howard the Duck. I honestly don't really know how to feel about it. Certainly, it's tonally different from last issue. This one was also SHIELD-lite. Fitz had a few moments, but it's really just Howard the Duck.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:09 AM   #35
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, it seemed like a Spot-light on Howard before his own series

....to every King.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:13 AM   #36
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Interesting.

The Howling Commandos issue was actually pretty good (except the weird movie-poster like captions at the top of each page). I wasn't planning on adding it to my list of comics to read, but I might consider it (if it doesn't cross over with Guggenheim's Agents of SHIELD, though, it'll probably be MU). They even tie it into an Original Sin tie-in I wasn't expecting to ever be referenced again.
Yeah, I like Howling Commandos but it's really not that great. The art is not as good as in issue 9 for one. It ALMOST feels like Dr. Strange should be running the show instead of Hill

....to every King.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #37
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Running the Howling Commandos? I'm not sure about that. He seems too powerful and would take away from the rest of the team.

SHIELD #11 - Fortune's Favor

Who the hell is Dominic Fortune? Apparently a legend who bet away his boat (maybe not legitimately). Mr. Fortune is very full of himself and doesn't seem entirely trustworthy. I like that Coulson has a suit that changes from gray to black (for formal evening events) at the push of a button. It's a cool gadget that works very well with SHIELD.

Unfortunately, I actively dislike the art this issue, both in the sense that the characters don't look the same and in that it just looks off overall. Everyone looks like a vantriloquist dummy.

Overall, the issue has a nice sense of nostalgia. It would probably work better if I knew who the character was. Still, for a series that explores Phil Coulson (and only Phil Coulson), the nostalgia was well-placed. Unfortunately, I wish the issue had more.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #38
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

SHIELD #12 - Kingslayer

First off, the cover here is pretty cool. At first I didn't notice the sword and wasn't sure what the significance of it was.

The issue starts in an epic fashion, but in a way that makes it pretty clear it can't last (not the least of which, this isn't an Earth-shattering book of Marvel's line). A time traveler from the future kills Odin and Asgard seeks its revenge on Midgard, killing all the superheroes. And that's just in the first few pages. The narration style is a marked difference from previous issues, giving it a sort of storybook feel. Coulson calls in his favor from issue one (good use of continuity) and Heimdell transports him to Asgard. He then sends him back in time to stop the assassination.

I like that the Agents of SHIELD are in the forefront here. Coulson, May, Fitz, Simmons, and even Daisy Johnson. Unfortunately, when they're disguised in Asgardian robes, I literally can't tell them apart. They are armed, however, with weapons of other superheroes, which makes for a cool little moment (they were hinted at before they were revealed, although I honestly was still surprised). The resolution that follows is typical Mark Waid, clever enough to be fresh while being told in a relatively clean and simple way with a big of style. In the end, the day is saved and Fitz gets his helper monkey! I just wish that wasn't a plotline they abandoned in issue three. It would have been good if they kept it up every issue.

So how is the series overall? It's not bad. To me, it could have used a stronger continuity between issues. It also could have used more of a focus on SHIELD. But the stories themselves aren't too bad. They're clever and fun and I'm glad I read them. I'm looking forward to Marc Guggenheim's take next.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #39
DN91
SSR Agent

With the way this volume consisted of mostly stand-alone tales, it felt like a comic version of early season one AoS. I'll bet the new volume will evoke a lot more of everything past the WS tie-in arc.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #40
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Yeah, I'll agree with that. It definitely reminded me of early season one (for better or worse).

Old 12-14-2015, 02:39 AM   #41
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Dominic Fortune had alittle run in I THINK Marvel Premire back in the day. I think he made an appearance or two with Spidey, but he was created by Howard Chaykin based on a character from the 1930's
Quote:
Running the Howling Commandos? I'm not sure about that. He seems too powerful and would take away from the rest of the team.

SHIELD #11 - Fortune's Favor

Who the hell is Dominic Fortune? Apparently a legend who bet away his boat (maybe not legitimately). Mr. Fortune is very full of himself and doesn't seem entirely trustworthy. I like that Coulson has a suit that changes from gray to black (for formal evening events) at the push of a button. It's a cool gadget that works very well with SHIELD.

Unfortunately, I actively dislike the art this issue, both in the sense that the characters don't look the same and in that it just looks off overall. Everyone looks like a vantriloquist dummy.

Overall, the issue has a nice sense of nostalgia. It would probably work better if I knew who the character was. Still, for a series that explores Phil Coulson (and only Phil Coulson), the nostalgia was well-placed. Unfortunately, I wish the issue had more.

....to every King.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:40 AM   #42
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

This issue for ME was all kinds of fun! lol
Quote:
SHIELD #12 - Kingslayer

First off, the cover here is pretty cool. At first I didn't notice the sword and wasn't sure what the significance of it was.

The issue starts in an epic fashion, but in a way that makes it pretty clear it can't last (not the least of which, this isn't an Earth-shattering book of Marvel's line). A time traveler from the future kills Odin and Asgard seeks its revenge on Midgard, killing all the superheroes. And that's just in the first few pages. The narration style is a marked difference from previous issues, giving it a sort of storybook feel. Coulson calls in his favor from issue one (good use of continuity) and Heimdell transports him to Asgard. He then sends him back in time to stop the assassination.

I like that the Agents of SHIELD are in the forefront here. Coulson, May, Fitz, Simmons, and even Daisy Johnson. Unfortunately, when they're disguised in Asgardian robes, I literally can't tell them apart. They are armed, however, with weapons of other superheroes, which makes for a cool little moment (they were hinted at before they were revealed, although I honestly was still surprised). The resolution that follows is typical Mark Waid, clever enough to be fresh while being told in a relatively clean and simple way with a big of style. In the end, the day is saved and Fitz gets his helper monkey! I just wish that wasn't a plotline they abandoned in issue three. It would have been good if they kept it up every issue.

So how is the series overall? It's not bad. To me, it could have used a stronger continuity between issues. It also could have used more of a focus on SHIELD. But the stories themselves aren't too bad. They're clever and fun and I'm glad I read them. I'm looking forward to Marc Guggenheim's take next.

....to every King.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:47 AM   #43
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

here's a wiki on Dominic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Fortune

....to every King.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #44
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Yeah, he's still pretty obscure and hard to appreciate.

I know I said I was done until Marc Guggenheim's run, but I thought I'd do a quick mini-review of all the 50th Anniversary specials:

Nick Fury

I like this story a lot. It's a good exploration of the past and our history of racial violence rather than about a father-son dynamic, but there's some good exploration of Nick Fury Sr. vs. Jr. Have to say, I didn't quite get the ending (the assassination target) so I had to look it up. It's actually quite clever. I'll give this a thumbsup.

(Don't Call Her) The Cavalry

Cute little story. Not as good as above. It's a good exploration of May as a character, which is something the show doesn't get to do enough. Basically, she's training some cadets and gets to be a badass. You get a bit of season one "I heard she..." type moments, but it works as basically hero worship and learning how to be a hero yourself go hand-in-hand.

Agent Carter

This story has got a very quick pace and light humorous dialogue. It's not just an Agent Carter story, but Peggy Carter and Lady Sif. Peggy seems to be the straight woman to Sif's crazy antics, but they both get some good funny moments.

Overall, I have to say it feels pretty thin. Not a bad ending, but the issue's not my style.

Mockingbird

This is the first story I've read starring Bobbi Morse (Mockingbird appeared in the SHIELD issue earlier as a supporting character, though). Therefore, my experience is mostly MCU Bobbi. That's OK, the issue starts with clear MCU influences with a Nick Blood-looking Lance Hunter spending some time with her. Lance also has a cartoon Black Widow mug and a TARDIS. I know that has nothing to do with anything, but I wanted to point it out. This issue is a good issue, showing off Bobbie Morse the scientist with Mockingbird the kickass action hero. If this were my introduction to the character (which it basically is) I would like it a lot. I'll give this a thumbsup.

Quake

I just noticed, with the exception of Nick Fury, these are all female-led stories. That's pretty cool. Similar to Mockingbird, my introduction to Daisy Johnson is Skye. That being said, I hope to read Secret Warriors soon. This story is Agent Johnson being promoted to essentially the Avengers and feeling completely out of her league. As a Quake story, it's a fine exploration. It's a bit light, but the reveal is cool. But it does help bring the show and comics together pretty strongly. I think that was an awesome moment. I'll say thumbsup.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:49 AM   #45
DN91
SSR Agent

Kinda odd that Coulson didn't get a SHIELD 50th Anniversary issue.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #46
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I'd make the argument the SHIELD issue by Waid at this time is a Coulson issue. I wish Fitz and Simmons had gotten one, though.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #47
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN91 View Post
Kinda odd that Coulson didn't get a SHIELD 50th Anniversary issue.
I think it was issue 9 of the regular series

....to every King.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #48
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Issue one of Marc Guggenheim's Agents of SHIELD has a preview at CBR if anyone's interested.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #49
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Nice! I really wish Howling Commandos of Shield would get a better artist, it looks like spidey and his friends book back in the day

....to every King.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #50
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I was going to say but forgot, I really like the art in the Agents of SHIELD preview.