The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The RATINGS Thread - Part 1

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The RATINGS Thread

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
SonOfIvaldi
Side-Kick

Default Re: The RATINGS Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
A 5th season would conveniently lead up to Infinity War pt. 1.
much as I like this show, I doubt it will get a 5th season

SonOfIvaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Default Re: The RATINGS Thread - Part 2

I don't.

My DCEU Movie Grades:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
MoS=C, BvS:DoJ=C-, SS=D+, WW=A-, JLP1=?, TF=?, AM=?, S=?, JL2=?, C=?, GLC=?, B=?
Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah me either. Marvel needs to remain on Earth with Shield tho. They spent half the season not really doing anything but saying "there's portholes to another planet and there are a bunch of new Inhumans"

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
kguillou
Side-Kick

I dont think having non familiar characters is the reason why the showed slipped up in the first season. I think you're all overthinking it. The reason why the show lost the interest of all those viewers is simple, it was too episodic and just did not give people a reason to tune in the following week. The show needed to take the Daredevil and Jessica Jones approach and tell a compelling serialized story from the beginning, basically what its doing now. Episodic tv works for certain shows like CSI, NCIS or pretty much any show airing on CBS. But this show NEEDED to hit the ground running and tell a clear and concise story that made you invested in the story and made you curious to tune in next week to see the next piece of the puzzle. If you look at Arrow, I think the reason that show was a hit was because it had that mystery of "What happened to Oliver on the island? How did he go from rich playboy to dark vigilante?" The show had a hook that made the audience want to tune in to get another piece of the mystery each week.

Yeah, they tried to have some stuff about the "Clairvoyant" be the throughline throughout the episodes but it just needed a more focused, clear story arc that it was telling. By having little episodic adventures every week, I think people just went "meh, its fun, but i dont feel compelled to watch the next episode...maybe I'll binge it on Netflix when the season's over."

Last edited by kguillou; 12-12-2015 at 08:12 PM.
kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #7
SonOfIvaldi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
I dont think having non familiar characters is the reason why the showed slipped up in the first season. I think you're all overthinking it. The reason why the show lost the interest of all those viewers is simple, it was too episodic and just did not give people a reason to tune in the following week. The show needed to take the Daredevil and Jessica Jones approach and tell a compelling serialized story from the beginning, basically what its doing now. Episodic tv works for certain shows like CSI, NCIS or pretty much any show airing on CBS. But this show NEEDED to hit the ground running and tell a clear and concise story that made you invested in the story and made you curious to tune in next week to see the next piece of the puzzle. If you look at Arrow, I think the reason that show was a hit was because it had that mystery of "What happened to Oliver on the island? How did he go from rich playboy to dark vigilante?" The show had a hook that made the audience want to tune in to get another piece of the mystery each week.

Yeah, they tried to have some stuff about the "Clairvoyant" be the throughline throughout the episodes but it just needed a more focused, clear story arc that it was telling. By having little episodic adventures every week, I think people just went "meh, its fun, but i dont feel compelled to watch the next episode...maybe I'll binge it on Netflix when the season's over."
It would be interesting to know what the shows netflix viewership and its plus 7 day viewership is

Old 12-13-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfIvaldi View Post
It would be interesting to know what the shows netflix viewership and its plus 7 day viewership is
Do they release that kind of info? I'd like to know what the viewer thing is for Daredevil and Jessica Jones. The only thing you hear is that they are big hits and things like that.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #9
KingCheops
Side-Kick

I found this:

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news...ta-1201480234/

Lots of data still missing.

KingCheops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #10
famicommander
Side-Kick

ABC has renewed Agents of SHIELD for a fourth season.

This was always going to happen, but now it's official.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...uantico-872554

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
famicommander
Side-Kick

Terrible performance for the midseason premiere last night.

It hit a season low 1.1 despite being up against repeats on CW, Fox, and CBS.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Old 03-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #13
darthcoolness3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post

Ratings don't even matter for the second half of Season 3, because ABC already hit the renewal button for Season 4.

darthcoolness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #14
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

It got its fourth season for syndication purposes. It could potentially go fractional before the end of this season.

ABC will be more than ready to see it gone by this point next year.

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcoolness3 View Post
Ratings don't even matter for the second half of Season 3, because ABC already hit the renewal button for Season 4.
They still matter. They're not going to un-renew it but the ratings absolutely still matter.

If SHIELD keeps dropping it could very well end up in a Friday night burnoff timeslot next year, where ABC will crank out the last season for syndication and then promptly cancel it.

Also, this wasn't just a season low but a series low.

With how far Agent Carter fell this season and SHIELD hitting new lows, I don't know how ABC can be confident moving forward with stuff like Most Wanted or Damage Control. I wouldn't be shocked at all if netiher of those shows move beyond the pilot stage.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
Marvolo
Side-Kick

If ABC drops it Im hoping Netflix will pick it up.

Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #17
Heretic
Side-Kick

1. There really wasn't much hype for the show's return.
2. I feel like the public failure of Agent Carter, and the public lack of real success of this show, has stained the future for ABC Marvel. Few people are going to start watching this show next season, barring the show having a major impact on the movies.
3. I understand that a name change would affect syndication possibilities...but a title like
Agents of SHIELD:
SECRET WARRIORS
might have helped with ratings.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
SonOfIvaldi
Side-Kick

Quote:
They still matter. They're not going to un-renew it but the ratings absolutely still matter.

If SHIELD keeps dropping it could very well end up in a Friday night burnoff timeslot next year, where ABC will crank out the last season for syndication and then promptly cancel it.

With how far Agent Carter fell this season and SHIELD hitting new lows, I don't know how ABC can be confident moving forward with stuff like Most Wanted or Damage Control. I wouldn't be shocked at all if netiher of those shows move beyond the pilot stage.
Getting renewed early could be to give the writers time to end the series their way

Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #19
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:

Seriously, this doesn't bode well for Marvel's most wanted. They really need to reassess their tv plans.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
famicommander
Side-Kick

Just on observation

the super hero comic adaptations seem to be holding up better than "other" comic adaptations

year to year change for super hero shows
The Flash: -1.09%
Arrow: +0.76%

year to year change for "other" comic shows
iZombie: -16.1%
Agent Carter: -47.36%
Agents of SHIELD: -11.89%
Gotham: -31.25%

Change from two seasons ago to last season
Arrow: +11.37%
Agents of SHIELD: -33.88%

Based on the above, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow hold up much better than Lucifer next season. But luckily for Lucifer, it's on Fox where you can do mediocre ratings and survive.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #21
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:

Palicki and Blood are a cute team, so I could see that potentially catching on as a Mr. and Mrs. Smith style program. Put in on after a Shondaland show and you might have something. But Damage Control is in a really tough spot. Powerless is first out of the gate and benefits greatly from DC's flexible continuity. Marvel is unlikely to create a distinct TV universe in order to create a spoof show, and that greatly hinders Marvel's attempt at comedy.

It's great that were getting the big names on Netflix, but it would nice if Marvel threw ABC a bone and put an A list property on the network. Runaways could be a "Runaway" hit and I think it's their best shot at a hit Marvel series.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:35 AM   #22
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

I think a Punisher or Blade tv show is there best bet, especially Blade since there seems to be no movie plans for him. The old Spike tv show had the right idea and the ratings were good, it was just the budget was out of control. Imagine Blade on ABC. Flash seems to do wonders with a tv budget, so I don't see why Blade couldn't.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #23
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
I think a Punisher or Blade tv show is there best bet, especially Blade since there seems to be no movie plans for him. The old Spike tv show had the right idea and the ratings were good, it was just the budget was out of control. Imagine Blade on ABC. Flash seems to do wonders with a tv budget, so I don't see why Blade couldn't.
I'm thinking that Blade will be part of the onscreen Dr. Strange universe along with Ghost Rider, and the Punisher show will be on Netflix.

The movies are for the world savers, Netflix is the home of the NYC street heroes, so there's not a lot left for the Alphabet Network if Marvel is committed to keeping everything connected (or at least not contradictory). ABC favors female-centric shows, hence the pilot order for Palicki's spin-off, but the pickins are a bit slim.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #24
darthcoolness3
Side-Kick

if ABC ends up dropping it, they could move it to Disney Channel and Disney XD, and reair all of the episodes to catch everyone up.

darthcoolness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #25
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcoolness3 View Post
if ABC ends up dropping it, they could move it to Disney Channel and Disney XD, and reair all of the episodes to catch everyone up.
Is this a joke?