The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #26
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Default Re: The RATINGS Thread - Part 2

In my case, the poor season for Agent Carter did a lot to kill my buzz for Agents of Shield starting back up.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #27
darthcoolness3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
Is this a joke?
no, it's not a joke, it is a serious staement

darthcoolness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #28
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
1. There really wasn't much hype for the show's return.
2. I feel like the public failure of Agent Carter, and the public lack of real success of this show, has stained the future for ABC Marvel. Few people are going to start watching this show next season, barring the show having a major impact on the movies.
3. I understand that a name change would affect syndication possibilities...but a title like
Agents of SHIELD:
SECRET WARRIORS
might have helped with ratings.
Not that many people know who the Secret Warriors are.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #29
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
In my case, the poor season for Agent Carter did a lot to kill my buzz for Agents of Shield starting back up.
yeah I was kinda the same way
After this season of AC, I was like "I barely even wanna watch this"
Then I watched AoS and was like "oh right, this show is way better than that"

hopefully more people come back around

Old 03-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #30
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcoolness3 View Post
no, it's not a joke, it is a serious staement
There is absolutely zero chance of a high-budget primetime show moving to a childern's network. Not under any circumstances.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #31
famicommander
Side-Kick

Another series low last night

1.0 rating, 2.91 million viewers

Those are some Arrow-like numbers. Not good at all.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #32
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Not that many people know who the Secret Warriors are.
Hardly matters. The point is to rebrand the show away from the damaged Agents of SHIELD brand. But...sure...it would probably increase ratings to call it West Coast Avengers or something...but I was trying to be realistic.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:59 AM   #33
iambranded
Side-Kick

Quote:
Another series low last night

1.0 rating, 2.91 million viewers

Those are some Arrow-like numbers. Not good at all.

think were losing out because of the political super tuesday crap on the other stations

iambranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #34
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I wonder if ABC is still planning to move ahead with that Most Wanted show.

If this show already hit 1.0 and there's still like 8 to 10 episodes left. I wonder how will this show perform next season?

X-Men: Homecoming (2024): Adjectiveless/Uncanny
Astonishing X-Men (2025): Lorna, Alex, Emma, Alison, Lucas, Sean, Forge
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:19 AM   #35
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I wonder if ABC is still planning to move ahead with that Most Wanted show.

If this show already hit 1.0 and there's still like 8 to 10 episodes left. I wonder how will this show perform next season?
I hope not.

If they are going to do another marvel tv show then they should go back to the drawing board and learn from the mistakes of aos and ac. Look at why the likes of dd and the flash are so popular then do a totally new show. Have characters from aos turn up in it but don't base it on them.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #36
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
I hope not.

If they are going to do another marvel tv show then they should go back to the drawing board and learn from the mistakes of aos and ac. Look at why the likes of dd and the flash are so popular then do a totally new show. Have characters from aos turn up in it but don't base it on them.
I don't think they made many mistakes on Agent Carter. The 2nd season was a bit of a let down, but they had a fantastic cast, gorgeous settings and a top notch creative team. I don't know whether the poor ratings were due to the period setting, the short season or competition, but I'm glad we got at least 18 additional episodes of Haley.

I think a big mistake made in creating AOS was making it a "real time" MCU program impacted by the movie-verse. It was an interesting experiment, and the Winter Soldier crossovers were a lot of fun, but it set up the program as a lesser spin-off. Appearances by film actors were infrequent and awkward and the show didn't benefit from the tie-ins. The Netflix programs occasionally mention the MCU films, but feel like their own thing with the gritty tone and A-List street level characters.

Most Wanted may work as a fill in show in the Agent Carter slot. But what I really want to see on ABC is Runaways. I think that would be a perfect fit.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #37
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambranded View Post
think were losing out because of the political super tuesday crap on the other stations
Wouldn't surprise me if there was at least a bit from that. I've heard from a few people on other message boards that they didn't even get an episode on Tuesday because their location opted to show an entire hour of political coverage. Others had their episode interrupted for 5-10 min. with updates to election stuff. So some people might opt to just go ahead and watch on DVR/On Demand if their show is going to keep getting pre-empted on Tuesday due to political coverage.

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #38
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I don't think they made many mistakes on Agent Carter. The 2nd season was a bit of a let down, but they had a fantastic cast, gorgeous settings and a top notch creative team. I don't know whether the poor ratings were due to the period setting, the short season or competition, but I'm glad we got at least 18 additional episodes of Haley.

I think a big mistake made in creating AOS was making it a "real time" MCU program impacted by the movie-verse. It was an interesting experiment, and the Winter Soldier crossovers were a lot of fun, but it set up the program as a lesser spin-off. Appearances by film actors were infrequent and awkward and the show didn't benefit from the tie-ins. The Netflix programs occasionally mention the MCU films, but feel like their own thing with the gritty tone and A-List street level characters.

Most Wanted may work as a fill in show in the Agent Carter slot. But what I really want to see on ABC is Runaways. I think that would be a perfect fit.
If they could do a single episode where they get the Avengers, the whole team, to show up, it could do wonders for these ratings
Unfortunately, I still remember the Jimmy Kimmel interview before AoU, and when Clark Gregg asked them to cameo, it was the most awkward, silent moment of TV I've ever seen in my life

Only Evans seemed even remotely interested, so maybe just try to get him for an episode or two leading up to CW, people would still flock to see Cap on AoS

Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #39
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
If they could do a single episode where they get the Avengers, the whole team, to show up, it could do wonders for these ratings
Unfortunately, I still remember the Jimmy Kimmel interview before AoU, and when Clark Gregg asked them to cameo, it was the most awkward, silent moment of TV I've ever seen in my life

Only Evans seemed even remotely interested, so maybe just try to get him for an episode or two leading up to CW, people would still flock to see Cap on AoS
Yeah, a two or three episode arc with a couple of Avengers would generate a tremendous amount of buzz, but they would then have to follow up immediately by committing to the Secret Warriors fully with heroes like Quake, Deathlok, and Slingshot. This show is great but it needs something to get people talking about it.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #40
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

That's a key difference between ABC Marvel and Netflix Marvel. The Netflix shows are packed with big name Marvel characters - Matt, Frank, Elektra, Luke, Patricia, Jessica, Danny, Misty, Colleen, Wilson, Zebediah and possibly Shang-Chi - that the movie folks popping up in Daredevil (No Spoilers! I'm watching it tonight) would be more a distraction than a benefit. AOS is much more restricted in that regard, so the cameos really count.

Evans is trying to transition to directing full time, so a gig on one of the shows might appeal to him even if a Cap appearance is part of the package. But the Netflix shows (Defenders maybe?) would have much more appeal than any of the ABC shows.

Last edited by Zarex; 03-18-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #41
gildedmuse
Snark Is A Superpower

Quote:
That's a key difference between ABC Marvel and Netflix Marvel. The Netflix shows are packed with big name Marvel characters - Matt, Frank, Elektra, Luke, Patricia, Jessica, Danny, Misty, Colleen, Wilson, Zebediah and possibly Shang-Chi - that the movie folks popping up in Daredevil (No Spoilers! I'm watching it tonight) would be more a distraction than a benefit. AOS is much more restricted in that regard, so the cameos really count.

Evans is trying to transition to directing full time, so a gig on one of the shows might appeal to him even if a Cap appearance is part of the package. But the Netflix shows (Defenders maybe?) would have much more appeal than any of the ABC shows.
Plenty of people on the JJ board talked about how they had no real introduction to the character through comics. Now this is a forum for people with a predisposed interest in comic book properties and characters, so if Jessica was an unknown to them I can only imagine what your average viewer at home has heard about her.

I don't think "name recognition" is an important a factor as people make it out to be. I don't think it's a negative factor at all, actually. Which is to say that being a well known IP can certainly BOOST your sales, but being unknown won't HURT them.

gildedmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #42
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedmuse View Post
Plenty of people on the JJ board talked about how they had no real introduction to the character through comics. Now this is a forum for people with a predisposed interest in comic book properties and characters, so if Jessica was an unknown to them I can only imagine what your average viewer at home has heard about her.

I don't think "name recognition" is an important a factor as people make it out to be. I don't think it's a negative factor at all, actually. Which is to say that being a well known IP can certainly BOOST your sales, but being unknown won't HURT them.
I don't think it's so much the name as it is confidence in the characters. The Netflix folks know they are working with top notch characters who have earned their popularity over decades of comic book stories. And because the shows are set in a grittier, darker environment it stands as its own thing better than AOS, which at times resembles a spin off trying to get by with cast offs the movie folks didnt want.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #43
gildedmuse
Snark Is A Superpower

Quote:
I don't think it's so much the name as it is confidence in the characters. The Netflix folks know they are working with top notch characters who have earned their popularity over decades of comic book stories. And because the shows are set in a grittier, darker environment it stands as its own thing better than AOS, which at times resembles a spin off trying to get by with cast offs the movie folks didnt want.
Okay, so at least that makes more sense than just relying on recognition alone to carry a show. I can at least follow the reasoning there. Still, following that, I can see how it would also work against you to have that history. Take Iron Fist and the rumors for a while that Marvel had/would cancel it and couldn't find a show runner. I feel like some of that stemmed from a perception of his published history as.... mixed at best.

Like I am a huge Danny fan and I don't care what anyone says about things like "quality" or "copyright infringement" - I will defend to the death the one where Iron Fist and Powerman wind up in the Not-A-TARDIS and meet No-Really-Doctor-Who-Are-You-Talking-About? to fight the Okay-Yes-They-Are-Quite-Dalek-Like-Things, but let's all remember that that particular issue is part of the Hero For Hires team up that saved the characters. Which means that at least on some level the issue where the two of them fight knock-off Doctor Who toys backstage at a Broadway theater was considered a marked improvement in the comic's quality.

I can easily imagine how that would put stress on the show runner. So, yeah, on the one hand there is Daredevil (easily the Netflix property with the strongest published reputation) where everyone from Feige down to fanboy agreed on how it should be adapted. Maybe not the exact story or costume or side characters but the really big elements of who Matt is and how/why he operates, those defining qualities like tone and themes. Those I think most people quickly agreed on and so it was only a question of if the show runners could pull of noir or not.

Then you get into JJ and LC and I think, generally, most people recognize their biggest stories or defining traits so that even if there was disagreement on how best to adopt those elements most would say this, this is central to the character. This needs at least some representation on their shows. But it can create doubts about how to best approach those properties. It means there is not a definite solution.

IF faces those same problems but a bit worse. You can see even now that there are noticeably less "definite" traits people can point to as things that the show needs to be true to Iron Fist's character. Even the big story everyone points to is one that would be a) difficult to tie in with the others at this point and b) probably better as a second or later season. I can see how a lack of definite source while still adapting an established property could wreck some backstage havoc, and how having a strong and well proven source would supply confidence.

So really, while I'm glad you explained some of the reasoning behind this claim in a way that makes sense, I can see how it could be positive AND negative, depending on the property. But I just don't think it would have the same impact on a show that knew it was starting out without a specific source. I mean, they choose the concept. So I assume part of the attraction to it was that by using only one minor comic book character in your main cast (and to hide her anyway) was that it offered an inherent freedom. It wasn't attached to the same sort of history as the major characters and so you're free to shape it as you want.

I think it hurt them that they weren't entirely free from "source" material, but only because they couldn't do the HYDRA reveal at their own speed, revealing information when they wanted. I think they would have still tried passing Ward off as a good guy at first, but they would have started in with the HYDRA hints a lot earlier and generally would have hit a very different pace. And it's the first season when most people dropped out and general opinion of the show formed.

I'm not saying that's the reason for the drop, but I assume that neither is anything like their lack of powers/avengers/known IPs since all of that probably should have occurred to the audience about... two and a half seasons ago, roughly?

gildedmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #44
famicommander
Side-Kick

Another series low

0.9 rating/2.91 million viewers

That's absolutely horrible.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #45
iambranded
Side-Kick

Quote:
Another series low

0.9 rating/2.91 million viewers

That's absolutely horrible.
its getting worse and worse.....
VERY worried

iambranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #46
famicommander
Side-Kick

The final unrounded number was a 0.865

Last week was a 0.97, 1.14 before that, 1.35 before the break

That's what you call bleeding viewers.

There's a chance it could lose to iZombie before the season is done.

Next season will be the last.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #47
psylockolussus
Fierce User

0.9 is terribly bad. Good thing though, its already renewed.

I hope ABC will announce that the fourth season will be its final season, to prepare its creative team and the viewers.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #48
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Wow. I didn't watch it Tuesday and didn't even miss it. They missed a big opportunity when this thing first started with that bad first season.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:28 AM   #49
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I feel like if we had a show with Mockingbird, Quake (not Skye but Daisy), a couple of Shield agents similar to Black Widow and Hawkeye from the start, this would have performed better. And of course not to mention, a better writing crew and casting department. And Clark Gregg shouldn't have been the lead.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #50
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Next season, they need to go full on Secret Warriors

Coulson can still be head of Shield
Then have Quake, Yo Yo, Deathlok, maybe Absorbing Man, and hell, bring in Phobos (I'd also say to s**tcan 'Most Wanted" and throw in Mockingbird)
Have them take on (and actually defeat) a supervillain team with Lash, Hive, maybe bring back Graviton who was just dropped after Season 1

Then recurring cameos from Kyle Maclachlan, Cobie Smulders, Patton Oswalt, and Samuel L
And a season opener with cameos by whatever Avengers (and/or Defenders) they can afford

Oh, and maybe move the show to Sunday nights after Once or Thursday with Scandal and HTGAWM

maybe that will stop the bleeding

and if not, at least it'll be an awesome final season

Last edited by BoredGuy; 03-24-2016 at 10:49 AM.
BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote