The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
voyzovrezon
nobody's fool
 
voyzovrezon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,128
Default My Thoughts on Season 4

So, I finally finished season 4 of Agents of SHIELD. The mid-season began with an over-the-top ridiculous usage of robot duplicates running amok, an android Coulson, an android Mac, an android Fitz…

Aida’s plan was to build a framework in which to occupy the agents minds while she builds herself a biological body, a method she learned by reading the Darkhold, a book with ancient recipes about building things in order to f*** up the rest of the universe–or something.

I was about ready to give up on it when Daisy and Simmons figure out a way to get inside the framework to rescue their other teammates from Aida’s grip. That’s when the show becomes interesting again. Coulson is teaching high schoolers about history–history written by HYDRA. Yeah, that’s how weird this alternate reality is. Aida removed the team’s biggest regrets in order to keep them placated. Coulson’s regret was not just living a simple quiet life (of desperation) and we see the results.

The most interesting dynamic is the framework’s erasing Fitz’s regret (not having a relationship with his father) and boy oh boy, …

Remember Grant Ward and his relationship with a father figure? How did that turn out? Speaking of Grant Ward..

SPOILER:

A few former team members show up in this alternate reality including Ward. It was nice seeing him team up again with Daisy AKA Skye and kicking HYDRA ass as part of the resistance.

The very ending of the season was weird and confusing. WTF was all this alien **** freezing the team and sending them on a SPACESHIP? Huh?

__________________
fangirl
voyzovrezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
fire117
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 544
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

The ending of the season was bad, having SHIELD be fugitives again and end up on a space station. Not good.

fire117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:34 AM   #3
Panacea
Side-Kick
 
Panacea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 743
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire117 View Post
The ending of the season was bad, having SHIELD be fugitives again and end up on a space station. Not good.
How so?

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
nypinta
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

I think the season ending was pretty cool. I really can't wait to find out what they have in mind.

There were some amazing moments in this season, particularly from Daisy, Simmons, and Fitz (before they got to "evil" Fitz which was a bucket of cold water for me.) But in the end, I decided Aida had a whole lot more control over the Framework world, despite her claims otherwise and it made it way more interesting to me and explained more things, including Ward.

nypinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
fire117
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 544
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
How so?
After season 1 with SHIELD being gone spending 2 more seasons have SHIELD become a publicly known group again in season 4 only by the end to be fugitives again. Not good.

fire117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
voyzovrezon
nobody's fool
 
voyzovrezon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,128
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire117 View Post
After season 1 with SHIELD being gone spending 2 more seasons have SHIELD become a publicly known group again in season 4 only by the end to be fugitives again. Not good.
But are they fugitives or just hostages? It's just so weird.

__________________
fangirl
voyzovrezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
voyzovrezon
nobody's fool
 
voyzovrezon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,128
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypinta View Post
I think the season ending was pretty cool. I really can't wait to find out what they have in mind.

There were some amazing moments in this season, particularly from Daisy, Simmons, and Fitz (before they got to "evil" Fitz which was a bucket of cold water for me.) But in the end, I decided Aida had a whole lot more control over the Framework world, despite her claims otherwise and it made it way more interesting to me and explained more things, including Ward.
Ward turning out to be a HYDRA agent may have been Daisy's biggest regret, which would explain his presence in the framework.

__________________
fangirl
voyzovrezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
optimus2861
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 108
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyzovrezon View Post
But are they fugitives or just hostages? It's just so weird.
The main core (Coulson et al) seem to be hostages / doing something else, according to the teaser.

The agency itself has effectively gone completely rogue. SHIELD seems answerable to nobody, accountable to nobody, yet runs a vast international network of agents with massive resources, and also seems to be responsible in same fashion for tracking Inhumans as per the Sokovia Accords. It makes no more sense in context that the governments of the world - particularly the American government - would continue to permit it to exist. At several points through the season, when first Mace and then Talbot are, at times emphatically, trying to get through to Coulson that he's going or gone too far, and that he's not behaving in a way that will permit SHIELD's continued existence, I found myself agreeing with Mace & Talbot when the narrative clearly seems to want me to side with Coulson. Coulson at several points in the season seems completely oblivious / ignorant of any political repercussions of his actions, climaxing (IMO) when he idiotically attempts to bug the Senator's office (against Talbot's explicit disapproval) at the very same time that she's deposing Daisy. In the real world, his head would have been served on a platter to the US government, by Talbot, yet the narrative lets him off with a stern talking-to instead.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Ghost Rider and AIDA arcs, and even the Framework for what it was, but SHIELD's very existence has jumped the shark now, and the series ought to wrap up in season 5 with its dismantling.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
scarlet-witch
Stormborn
 
scarlet-witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 2,869
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

The only part of season 4 that I liked was Ghost Rider. I may have enjoyed the Framework story more if I hadn't just watched Westworld's amazing first season. Discount Sarah Wayne Callies did give a good performance though, so at least there's that.

I'm really invested in all the non Daisy characters in this show, and I'm genuinely interested in seeing where it goes, but this show has made so many mistakes that sometimes I wonder why I'm still watching.

IMO of course.

__________________

-Assemble-
scarlet-witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!
 
ludovica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Seoul
Posts: 703
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet-witch View Post
Discount Sarah Wayne Callies

You mean Mallory Jansen (Aida)?

__________________
"I'll hit'im where it hurts: in the civilians!" - Ramses IV

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 6!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
fire117
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 544
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
The main core (Coulson et al) seem to be hostages / doing something else, according to the teaser.

The agency itself has effectively gone completely rogue. SHIELD seems answerable to nobody, accountable to nobody, yet runs a vast international network of agents with massive resources, and also seems to be responsible in same fashion for tracking Inhumans as per the Sokovia Accords. It makes no more sense in context that the governments of the world - particularly the American government - would continue to permit it to exist. At several points through the season, when first Mace and then Talbot are, at times emphatically, trying to get through to Coulson that he's going or gone too far, and that he's not behaving in a way that will permit SHIELD's continued existence, I found myself agreeing with Mace & Talbot when the narrative clearly seems to want me to side with Coulson. Coulson at several points in the season seems completely oblivious / ignorant of any political repercussions of his actions, climaxing (IMO) when he idiotically attempts to bug the Senator's office (against Talbot's explicit disapproval) at the very same time that she's deposing Daisy. In the real world, his head would have been served on a platter to the US government, by Talbot, yet the narrative lets him off with a stern talking-to instead.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Ghost Rider and AIDA arcs, and even the Framework for what it was, but SHIELD's very existence has jumped the shark now, and the series ought to wrap up in season 5 with its dismantling.
I'd rather SHIELD be kept around by the end of season 5. Sometimes you need a group like SHIELD to do what needs to be done.

fire117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
optimus2861
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 108
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire117 View Post
I'd rather SHIELD be kept around by the end of season 5. Sometimes you need a group like SHIELD to do what needs to be done.
But they have to be answerable to someone. They have to get funding from somewhere. The show can't and shouldn't just handwave it all away as "Fury's toolbox," (this is basically calling Fury the world's biggest embezzler, and all the resources should already have been seized or frozen by the government) and SHIELD can't go stupidly taking overt actions against high-profile members of the United States government and get to walk away without consequence. It stretches believability way too far.

Plus, the way the team treated Mace through much of the first half of the season should've gotten a lot of them fired. They were whiny unprofessional jerks for the most part.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
fire117
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 544
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
But they have to be answerable to someone. They have to get funding from somewhere. The show can't and shouldn't just handwave it all away as "Fury's toolbox," (this is basically calling Fury the world's biggest embezzler, and all the resources should already have been seized or frozen by the government) and SHIELD can't go stupidly taking overt actions against high-profile members of the United States government and get to walk away without consequence. It stretches believability way too far.

Plus, the way the team treated Mace through much of the first half of the season should've gotten a lot of them fired. They were whiny unprofessional jerks for the most part.
Groups like SHIELD don't need to answer to anyone aside from themselves though an internal affairs like group. Plus I like to think SHIELD is funded rich people with deep pockets who share their vision or they have good investments made in the stock markets.

fire117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #14
optimus2861
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 108
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire117 View Post
Groups like SHIELD don't need to answer to anyone aside from themselves though an internal affairs like group. Plus I like to think SHIELD is funded rich people with deep pockets who share their vision or they have good investments made in the stock markets.
Then you're effectively calling them privately-funded vigilantes who think they know best, and this is taking place in a world that clamped down on superhuman activities via the Sokovian Accords. Nope.

I guess I expect better from the show, and the MCU, then to handwave a lot of these things away as "comic book logic." I mean, some, you just have to let go (the proven existence of the Norse gods being the big one; the shockwave it would send through the rest of the world's religions would be unfathomable), but SHIELD shouldn't be this far gone.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #15
fire117
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 544
Default Re: My Thoughts on Season 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Then you're effectively calling them privately-funded vigilantes who think they know best, and this is taking place in a world that clamped down on superhuman activities via the Sokovian Accords. Nope.

I guess I expect better from the show, and the MCU, then to handwave a lot of these things away as "comic book logic." I mean, some, you just have to let go (the proven existence of the Norse gods being the big one; the shockwave it would send through the rest of the world's religions would be unfathomable), but SHIELD shouldn't be this far gone.
Well SHIELD was helping enforce the Accords so that probably wouldn't be an issue.

fire117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.