The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Shazam > Shazam!

Old Today, 06:16 PM   #876
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Default Re: Shazam General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Scribe View Post
Lol so? Like misslane said, kids love Al Capone and guys like that. One of my best friends would call himself Lucky Luciano when we were kids. This man is almost 30 and still does actually. We had posters and other kinds of merch.

Someone should've told Brian De Palma that this was not a good basis for a film though.
As stated above... if you’re fine with it, then okay.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:19 PM   #877
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
Yes, it does. Because the public, including children and their caregivers, may not know everything you and I know about Batman in the DCEU. His more brutal streak was not widely reported and was later revealed to be partly the responsibility of Lex Luthor. We don't know what "America's children" in the DCEU know about Batman.

For all we know, he was a popular urban legend folk hero during his heyday and his dark period was underreported by the media that also later would have to retract accusations because Luthor was the true culprit. He may not have even been known at all outside Gotham until the events of Justice League, which would have painted him in a mostly positive and kid-friendly light.

Plus, and this is important, teenagers like Billy and Freddy love guys like Batman. I don't know if a Batman toy would be sought after by all of America's or the world's children, but I could definitely see him as a popular figure for older kids to admire and obsess over, especially kids like Billy and Freddy who haven't led charmed lives themselves.
Again, and for the last time, I am personally not keen on the idea of Reeves’s Batman being a public enough figure to have accurate toys made from him, is someone who children know and love, and who’s actions and methods are acceptable to toy companies. However, I totally accept that you are fine with this.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:29 PM   #878
Astro13Zombie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
You’re missing the point entirely. Within the fictional narrative, who in their right mind would merchandise what is perceived to be a psychotic madman, who beats people to a pulp? Why would kids love what essentially to them would be a bogeyman? A creature from a horror story?

Kids in our world know Batman is cool, but do you think the kids of Gotham would feel that way?

This is all based on the idea that the Batman they’ll use is the dark knight. If they go with a lighter, caped crusader, Adam West like interpretation, then it all makes absolute sense.
Like I said before.
The world saw batman saving the world with the rest of the rest of the Justice League. Right alongside Superman and other superpowerd heroes fighting to protect them.
Batman is on a team that defends the world.
What kid wouldn’t be completely in to that? What toy company wouldn’t want to jump in on the hype?

As for the Batman solo.
If the rumors are true that it will be a prequel, then there’s no problem.

Astro13Zombie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:29 PM   #879
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick

The idea of toy companies being so morally invested is hilarious to me.

Haters are going to hate regardless...it's what they do...they are haters....Haters gonna hate. "F" them...you don't need to appease them...let them live their hater lives until they die early of hate related diseases
- RoachCorp mission statement
Da-Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:31 PM   #880
Sawyer
High King

I'm so glad you aren't all overthinking things here.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:32 PM   #881
misslane38
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
Again, and for the last time, I am personally not keen on the idea of Reeves’s Batman being a public enough figure to have accurate toys made from him, is someone who children know and love, and who’s actions and methods are acceptable to toy companies. However, I totally accept that you are fine with this.
And, again, I believe if being public enough to create an accurate figure means not necessarily being that public at all, then that's not much of a major concern. It's also not much of a concern if toy companies make toys of him, because making a product would only say something about public approval of Batman's methods if that was something companies cared about or was paramount to them when making financial decisions; usually it's not. You can't use the fact that these toys exist to conclude that Batman is universally loved and accepted.

What exactly are you saying I'm fine with? Based on just a toy, all I have to be fine with is that Batman is a mostly shadowy figure who engages in vigilante justice, and that greedy toy companies think making an approximation of his image into a product is a way to make money, not an ethical or political statement. In addition, kids buying such a toy is something I think anyone could be fine with if one understands that kids would see Batman as a dark knight -- a knight in shining armor, so to speak -- and would see him as someone who does cool things and stops bad guys through an urban legend or fantasy lens.

I don't think when companies make these products or kids buy them that they are necessarily placing as much meaning or significance onto the product or purchase as you are.

misslane38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:32 PM   #882
Guts
Gul

I think the batman action figure could be a product after Justice League. That scene with the League fighting the resurrected Superman did take place in an area surrounded by a bunch of tall buildings during daylight. It's possible that people from nearby buildings could have gotten photos or footage of Superman's short fight with the league. It could also explain why Freddie has a t shirt with Aquaman's logo on it. There was Batman merchandise in Suicide Squad, but none of it featured the DCEU logo.

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:33 PM   #883
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I'm so glad you aren't all overthinking things here.
Like it really just comes down to this. In this world, kids think Batman is cool. Or at least Billy and his friends do.

Haters are going to hate regardless...it's what they do...they are haters....Haters gonna hate. "F" them...you don't need to appease them...let them live their hater lives until they die early of hate related diseases
- RoachCorp mission statement
Da-Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:57 PM   #884
The Guard
Side-Kick

I really like the DCEU hero worship connection seen here. It could be an interesting way to show that the heroes of the Justice League continue to operate in the world, even if we don't see them in action. They're missing a golden opportunity if Superman doesn't mentor Shazam at some point.

And the only way the texture of Shazam's suit could be much more satisfying is if it was tiny tiger heads.

-Me
The Guard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 PM   #885
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:55 PM   #886
Broseph44
Witness Me

m1ll3r You are really really diving too deep into things and overthinking to the max. Yikes.

Broseph44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:20 PM   #887
HBarnill
Side-Kick

I don’t like what this Batman did but I wouldn’t go out of my way and ruin that kid’s spirit by telling him what he did. I’m not an ass.

HBarnill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:33 PM   #888
Astro13Zombie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
m1ll3r You are really really diving too deep into things and overthinking to the max. Yikes.
I think he might just be a little salty over the picture showing that Shazam is definitely set in the DCEU.

It goes against all the DCEU doomsday preaching that he’s been doing

Astro13Zombie is online now   Reply With Quote