The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Legion

Old 02-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Connecting Legion to the XCU

So there's been conflicting reports about whether the show is or is not apart of the larger X-Men film universe. Here's some quotes from a few of the crew:

Quote:
Hawley, Loeb and Donner all gave conflicting but vaguely promising answers about the possibility of cameos.

"Probably not, but you never know," Shuler Donner offered.

"I’ll answer the other side, which is, 'Wouldn’t that be great?'" Loeb teased.

When a fan asked Hawley where the show fits into the canon of the X-Men films, the showrunner kept things purposefully vague.

"There’s a certain degree to which that’s to be determined; we’re in this subjective reality of David’s, so it’s hard for us to tell," he said. "One of the things that’s attractive about the X-Men universe is there are all these alternate timelines and alternate universes, so it does have this fable quality… We’re seeing this world though multiple layers of the confusion and mixed signals that Dan’s character is getting. It would be a spoiler in the true sense to say. I like the idea of trying to make things that are unexpected and yet in the end feel inevitable."
http://mashable.com/2016/10/09/legio.../#wd50CPJoHqqy

There's already theories about David's powers providing a potential explanation for multiple parallel timelines, and the devil with the yellow eyes being Mojo and the show being a reality TV show of sorts.

Just wanted a thread to discuss and keep track of clues to this mystery.

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

Default Re: Connecting Legion to the XCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
and the devil with the yellow eyes being Mojo and the show being a reality TV show of sorts.
At least for now this is my favorite theory out there as far as connecting Legion and the XCU goes. I also think Melanie's place might include some of the X-Men props they brought in for Legion. Going to keep an eye out for those. Though I'm not really sure what to expect.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
marvelrobbins
Banned User

The show at least this season could mostly be in david's head.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #4
Superhero 101
DESI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
So there's been conflicting reports about whether the show is or is not apart of the larger X-Men film universe. Here's some quotes from a few of the crew:

There's already theories about David's powers providing a potential explanation for multiple parallel timelines, and the devil with the yellow eyes being Mojo and the show being a reality TV show of sorts.

Just wanted a thread to discuss and keep track of clues to this mystery.
That'd be cool if that theory holds true

Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Its not connected to the film series. I think watching the pilot, it was very clear. Any future suggestion that is connected is probably just the show trying to pay homageto the films.

X-Men Begin (2022) • X-Men Here We Go Again (2024) • Avengers v X-Men (2025)

X-Men Revolution (2026) • X-Men Legacy (2028) • Uncanny Avengers (2028) • X-Men Order of the Phoenix (2030)
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I have a theory that this show takes place in the original timeline between X3 and The Wolverine (approx 2008-2013).

- One point is David's dad dying while he was at Clockworks. IF by some chance they are referring to Xavier, then it most definitely has to be the X3 event (and maybe mutants like Syd's body swapping powers are involved in his resurrection).
- Another point is all this talk about the "divisions." And Bird says "those they can't control, they kill." These could be early hints at the events of Days of Future Past's dystopian future.

Now, 3 episodes in, this is barely a hypothesis. Just getting the cogs turning.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
chelo248
Side-Kick

chelo248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Saw this earlier this afternoon, and while Legion takes place in what looks like an alternative universe, I'm still curious about time. We know that work on Summerland started in the 1940s and started, I think, a few decades later. Coupled with aesthetics, this show could place in the 1970s, maybe, so couldn't the door also be open for McAvoy's Charles to appear? But then, this being an alternate world, it probably doesn't matter.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
Superhero 101
DESI

Well wouldn't that be nice if he would to appear

Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
Chip Chipperson
None of this matters.

If P-Stew wants in, you find a way to make it work

Even if it's for a second

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

****ing fantastic news. I want this very much.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:59 AM   #12
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

McAvoy would be too expensive. Stewart is a possibility.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:57 AM   #13
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

So now that it's been (essentially) confirmed Xavier is his father, we have the first... "tie-in" to the movies. Not that it's a direct connection, but to my knowledge they haven't mentioned or hinted at any other characters/events that appear in the films.

IF the show is in the same universe, there are three options:
1. This show takes place in the original timeline before DoFP
2. This show takes place in the revised timeline after Apocalypse
3. This show takes place in a third timeline.

Only time will tell if there's a logical placement for the show in the established universe.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 AM   #14
Smilodon
Side-Kick

They're not going to set it in some alternate or pre-DOFP timeline at this point. Legion is in the X-verse, it's just a matter of when (it's most likely in the present day, depending on if Ptonomy's past is real) and 'where' considering we don't know how much is truly real. There's one conflicting aspect - such as Hawley saying that mutants aren't all that well known in Legion's world.

But I'm fairly certain the finale will give us the whole truth. Perhaps it's connected to what the Shadow King was searching for in the recesses of his mind - or they'll just move along in the X-verse without a strict explanation - this show doesn't have to necessarily follow traditional narrative conventions.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 AM   #15
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Legion has a odd retro look. A lot of the design and fashion in the show is very sixties/seventies and there isn't much contemporary looking technology. I don't recall seeing smart phones, tablets, modern cars or flat screen TVs in the show. I think it is primarily a stylistic choice but also as a opening if they do want to set Legion in the X-Men film universe as it is set in no specific time period.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
Smilodon
Side-Kick

Division Three has modern weapons and tablets in the pilot and Melanie also had a holographic watch-kinda thing she uses to communicate with Cary a few episodes back. It was deliberately ambiguous but now there seems to be a few hints at where it might atually be.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
David H.
Side-Kick

So... it's all taking place between the end of DoFP and Logan?

For the most part I imagine each X-Movie takes place in its own universe and I've been applying that rule to this.

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
So... it's all taking place between the end of DoFP and Logan?

For the most part I imagine each X-Movie takes place in its own universe and I've been applying that rule to this.
HA! you might not have meant this as a joke, but i find it humorous. It's true, x-men continuity sucks. But time-travelers and omnipotents (like David) are the reason we could find some method to the madness.

I'm personally still under the impression this one fits in the original timeline.

.............................O:W > X1 > X2 > X3 > Legion > TW > DoFP ()
.........................../
O:W > FC > DoFP
...........................\
............................Apocalypse > Dark Phoenix > Deadpool > DoFP () > The Gifted > Logan

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 12-02-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #19
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Noah Hawley talks Xavier

Quote:
Recently, Noah Hawley spoke to sites such as CBR about the upcoming season finale of Legion. It was there the producer was asked if the show’s next steps were to give Haller answers about his father’s identity. Hawley agreed with the deduction, but he did admit Xavier’s addition would require a lot work.

“I think that’s something we’re definitely going to approach,” Hawley said about Xavier’s inclusion. “It’s a creative conversation, but it’s also a sort of corporate conversation, you know, on some level, in terms of the movie studio and their relationship to the X-Men and the characters they want in the movies and want to protect potentially.”

“Were we to want to have Professor X on the show, or even Patrick Stewart on the show, James McAvoy or one of those actors, is a conversation both with the actor and with the studio. So, I don’t know, I haven’t really dived into that quandary yet, but certainly I need to start thinking about it.”

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Always Manage Expectations.)
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #20
marvelrobbins
Banned User

it's probally set in present day of post DOFP timeline.

since Haller is on show david's adopted family the question is also who was david's mother on show.ultimate X-Men had moira as his mother so could xavier and moira post apocalypse conceived and had david.and then Xavier felt it would be better for david's shake for him to be raised away from his world.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #21
Chip Chipperson
None of this matters.

Set in post DOFP where the Logan storyline doesn't take place/end up being the endgame, at least thats how I see it.

Not even gonna try to justify my reasoning because the continuity is, well..... you all know by now.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:02 AM   #22
Shoppy
Side-Kick

1 - The first two Wolverine films and maybe First Class fit okay into the timeline of the original trilogy. (and you can throw in Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four and FF: Rise Of The Silver Surfer)

2 - LOGAN is a slightly different timeline where, in parallel with the dialogue about comics in the movie, about a quarter of what we have seen in the XCU happened.

3 - LEGION ia a different timeline again.

4 - A - DOFP original future (which is preceded by First Class and then Mystique assassinating Trask in 1973)
4 - B - Altered 1973 in DOFP leading to timeline that includes, APOCALYPSE (80s), next X-men movie ("Supernova") (90s), DEADPOOL (2010s) and future movies (Deadpool 2, X-Force, New Mutants?)

Last edited by Shoppy; 04-01-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #23
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
McAvoy would be too expensive. Stewart is a possibility.
James McAvoy would cost more than Sir Patrick Stewart?

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #24
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
I can see how that would avoid a lot of headaches!

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #25
Syncos
ROFLICIOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppy View Post
1 - The first two Wolverine films and maybe First Class fit okay into the timeline of the original trilogy. (and you can throw in Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four and FF: Rise Of The Silver Surfer)

2 - LOGAN is a slightly different timeline where, in parallel with the dialogue about comics in the movie, about a quarter of what we have seen in the XCU happened.
The comic books were more akin to Marvel comic books, with Wolverine in bright yellow spandex, and the stories being largely made up.

I took the line in the movie to mean that things happened the way we saw them in the X-Men movies, but only about a quarter of that made it into the comics.